Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Ahmed did you have any success with the new hotpatch technique ? I have been using it on many Asus laptops with success here :D

I just read a couple of topics about it but I didn't try yet, lack of time. I hope I make some progress next weekend.

@vusun123,

I have successfully applied the hotpatch and it works so far so good .. I like this way

Yes I also used in on many Asus laptops now, range from Ivy to Broadwell ( excluding Skylake for now since Intel remade the ACPI tables which many _ADR was changed ) due to their ACPI is very similar to each others. An universal guide for Asus laptops is in the work, almost finish now

Yes I also used in on many Asus laptops now, range from Ivy to Broadwell ( excluding Skylake for now since Intel remade the ACPI tables which many _ADR was changed ) due to their ACPI is very similar to each others. An universal guide for Asus laptops is in the work, almost finish now

I will definitely like to read the guide when you publish it while waiting for Rehabman to release his general guide. Thanks for bringing the idea up here.

• 1 month later...

Confirm, nvdia GTX 970 It works on y510p. windows/osx

What do you need:

1- V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock with Mini PCI-E http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-with-PCI-E-Interface-Black/32456172794.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.55.WOw26X

2- any source 600w /  I have  https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ATX12V-Supports-Graphic-Systems/dp/B005IYIB90/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472979629&sr=1-1&keywords=zalman+600w 

3- any monitor 

What needs to be done:

1- deactivated  gt750m/755m ( Uma only)  

2- install web driver

3- boot with nvda_drv=1

That simple :)

to fix the usb wake issue, i did the following

applied intruders16's el capitan usb fix from the autopatcher script

installed these kexts:

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
FakePCIID.kext

and can be downloaded here:

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id

lastly a kernel flag added to config.plist

without quotes but including "-"

"-uia_exclude_xhc"

usb seems to work fine for me now

to fix the usb wake issue, i did the following

applied intruders16's el capitan usb fix from the autopatcher script

installed these kexts:

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
FakePCIID.kext

and can be downloaded here:

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id

lastly a kernel flag added to config.plist

without quotes but including "-"

"-uia_exclude_xhc"

usb seems to work fine for me now

I see this is your first post in the forum, welcome to the community  :D 

Now let's talk about that issue. My setup already includes FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext but I don't have USBInjectAll.kext installed and consequently I don't use -uia_exclude_xhc boot flag. Yet, I don't have any problem with usb while at sleep (or any other state).

Moreover, the USBInjectAll.kext is designed to inject all USB ports (for systems with malfunctioning USB after installing 10.11) in order to examine which ports we need ON and which we don't need then a custom injector should be created so the configuration is permanent. In our case, however, all ports are working just fine so this kext is of no use for us. I would suggest you remove that kext together with the boot flag and test. If you still find USB wake issues then we should be able to investigate it but USBInjectAll.kext is not the solution here.

I see this is your first post in the forum, welcome to the community  :D 

Now let's talk about that issue. My setup already includes FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext but I don't have USBInjectAll.kext installed and consequently I don't use -uia_exclude_xhc boot flag. Yet, I don't have any problem with usb while at sleep (or any other state).

Moreover, the USBInjectAll.kext is designed to inject all USB ports (for systems with malfunctioning USB after installing 10.11) in order to examine which ports we need ON and which we don't need then a custom injector should be created so the configuration is permanent. In our case, however, all ports are working just fine so this kext is of no use for us. I would suggest you remove that kext together with the boot flag and test. If you still find USB wake issues then we should be able to investigate it but USBInjectAll.kext is not the solution here.

well as you said yourself and i quote:

[El Capitan] I have used the same patch for 10.10 with 10.11 without a problem but I noticed that all USB devices are routed to USB2 controller with that patch active. Without it, El Capitan will still route them to USB2 controller until system goes to sleep then wake. Thereafter, USB3 controller will handle the devices without routing. There is a technical situation here and I'm investigating it but despite that, all USB ports will work no matter that patch is applied or not. You can choose to use the patch above with 10.11 or not, it's up to you, until further notice.

rehabman:

in 10.11, Apple has completely rewritten the USB drivers. The new drivers appear to employ the use of ACPI to a much greater extent than the previous drivers. This puts more pressure on ACPI (DSDT) to be correct. If it is not correct, ports that exist may not be enabled by the new drivers.

In fact, even Apple's own products were found to be incorrect, so Apple created a way to override DSDT with a port injector. In the event properties are injected to define the available ports, these properties are used instead of ACPI.

The port injectors that are built-in can also interfere with USB on a hack as it is unlikely the USB topology for a given Mac model is the same as your PC.

as i used my old clover setup to start from i didnt have intruder16's new el capitan usb patch, so usb didnt work for me, and i stumbled upon rehabman's guide he knows what hes doing.

and as you stated there was a technical situation i went ahead and used his injection method, perhaps usb funtions correctly this way? did you try it?.

I Also have AppleALC sound working as i had an issue with sound not working after sleep

its much simpler than the script to create a dummy kext with codec info in, and using codec commander take a look:

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC

you just need

FixHDA_8000 YES in acpi>dsdt>fixes/

&

Audio->Inject == 3

also your script gives an error when copying from s/l/e to s/l/e.

i edited the script to work around it,  i used sudo wasnt the issue.

i think your guide is great btw

Edited by onejay15

well as you said yourself and i quote:

I thought you'd be referring to that. This guide is big and it is not easy to maintain every bit of it as new techniques and solutions are found and that part should be updated. With that said, that piece you quoted said nothing about USB wake issue but instead how USB devices are routed and handled before sleep and after wake (sorry if the words confused you).

... and i stumbled upon rehabman's guide he knows what hes doing.

and as you stated there was a technical situation i went ahead and used his injection method, perhaps usb funtions correctly this way? did you try it?.

Yes, Rehabman is a mastermind and he definitely knows what he is doing. I learnt a lot from him and guess what? I had a conversation with him about the USB for Y510p under 10.11 and I quote his words:

If all your ports are working and internal USB devices, no need to do anything.

And since all my ports and hubs were actually working fine, there were no need to do any injecting (Y510p owners got lucky). You may want to review the whole conversation here.

One more thing about USB injecting. I never said (and never will say) that the method is wrong or useless. It's just meant to help those who need fixes to their USB ports after 10.11 USB changes and Y510p need no change via injecting. If you still want to use it then go ahead no harm if you do it correctly, but nothing to gain more than we already have without it.

The other thing is that you need to read more about that method because it was not meant to use USBInjectAll.kext permanently. Instead, this kext will help getting all the ports and hubs working so you know which to keep and which to discard then apply that by creating an actual injector kext. Keeping all ports and hubs (including the unused/not-connected ones) powered on all the time is power consuming and affect battery.

I Also have AppleALC sound working as i had an issue with sound not working after sleep

its much simpler than the script to create a dummy kext with codec info in, and using codec commander take a look:

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC

you just need

FixHDA_8000 YES in acpi>dsdt>fixes/

&

Audio->Inject == 3

also your script gives an error when copying from s/l/e to s/l/e.

i edited the script to work around it,  i used sudo wasnt the issue.

Well, as a lot of users have been using my script successfully without issues (including myself), I have some doubts about the script being faulty. I will check it again though.

The solution you mentioned looks great and there are other general solutions as well that currently exist. A while ago when myself and intruder16 started working on getting AppleHDA to work, there were no other solution and intruder16 had to supply a patched AppleHDA with every OS X update. Later on, I have created the script so no one wait for pre-patched AppleHDA any more. As I said before, things are changing over time and many parts of the guide could be updated using better methods to fix things. For example, you may have heard about the new way to patch the DSDT and SSDT called SSDT-HACK (also by Rehabman). This method takes away the need to patch any ACPI table and instead offer few other additional tables that have all the patches in addition to some edits to config.plist. The method is revolutionary and I have applied it successfully to Y510p but have not released the files yet (waiting for 10.12 to revamp the guide with all the latest methods). What I want to say is that AutoPatcher by intruder16 (which helped a lot of people including myself) is now something of the past as better techniques are discovered.

i think your guide is great btw

This guide is a result of reading, learning, and getting very useful feedback from members like you in addition to the actual collaboration from other members most notably intruder16. You all helped this guide to be what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to disable Intel HD Graphics? I want to only works on GTX 970. At me does not work on Intel HD graphics(7mb). After installing Intel does not want to boot. After install the nvidia driver web, it works ok(4000mb). But sometimes starts with intel graphics.

It is possible to disable Intel HD Graphics? I want to only works on GTX 970. At me does not work on Intel HD graphics(7mb). After installing Intel does not want to boot. After install the nvidia driver web, it works ok(4000mb). But sometimes starts with intel graphics.

The only way it was possible to disable it by using the caddy GPU. I'm not sure that your external GTX would do the same.

I have installed macOS Sierra , so far so good. audio and USB working fine. one issue with the ALXEthernet.kext , it caused panic , I have deleted it and it is all fine.

Oh thanks for this. I have a broadband problem I'm not able to download and test yet. I thought it should be OK but a confirmation was very much needed. Thanks again.

Oh thanks for this. I have a broadband problem I'm not able to download and test yet. I thought it should be OK but a confirmation was very much needed. Thanks again.

I think your LAN is not AR8151, therefore you have to use Mieze's AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

I think your LAN is not AR8151, therefore you have to use Mieze's AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext

That's correct. Actually this guide tells the same story but apparently eidrabie skipped that part:

6.3 Ethernet (LAN)

To fix Ethernet we can utilize the solution by Mieze by first downloading the driver AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext (link in downloads section) then following the steps from his topic:

• Goto /S/L/E and delete ALXEthernet.kext. (If you don't have this it is OK)

When I said above that I thought it should be OK I meant the whole 10.12 setup but I did not mean using ALXEthernet.kext would be OK.

Thanks for stressing this of course.

• Like 1

OK then, it is a mistake on eidrabie's part. I guess it's time for an update for Sierra ? Did you solve the USB routing issue yet ?

ِAs I said before, my broadband is like $hit at the moment so I could not try Sierra yet. Regarding USB issues, are you referring to something new with Sierra or those of El Capitan? AFAIK all ports works fine under 10.11 without any need to fix and I assume Y510p users just got lucky to escape without injecting.

ِAs I said before, my broadband is like $hit at the moment so I could not try Sierra yet. Regarding USB issues, are you referring to something new with Sierra or those of El Capitan? AFAIK all ports works fine under 10.11 without any need to fix and I assume Y510p users just got lucky to escape without injecting.

I mean, you said something about USB routing to USB 2, after sleep it routes to USB 3 ?

I mean, you said something about USB routing to USB 2, after sleep it routes to USB 3 ?

Oh I have been away from this hack for long. I just checked now, nothing change as for USB between sleep/wake (seems I was using old/wrong USB patch in Clover). What I see now is that all USB ports (2.0 & 3.0) are routed through XHCI and that XHCI does not handoff USB2 devices to EHCI although FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext is installed and this should not happen. With that said, all ports work fine regardless and nothing is affected with sleep/wake.

I will re-evaluate the USB functionality just in case to I update the guide about it once and for all to eliminate all confusion. 

• Like 1

That's correct. Actually this guide tells the same story but apparently eidrabie skipped that part:

When I said above that I thought it should be OK I meant the whole 10.12 setup but I did not mean using ALXEthernet.kext would be OK.

Thanks for stressing this of course.

sorry for that (skipping), you are the man

I just reviewed the situation under 10.11 with regards to USB. My general observation is that all visible/connectable and non-visible ports work fine before sleep and after wake with no USB injection needed. For this evaluation I did not use USBInjectAll.kext (with its flags) or any other injecting kext.

A bit more technical:

• I'm using MBP11,1 SMBIOS (situation is similar to those who use MBP11,2 or iMAC14,2)
  • There are no port limitations on EHC1 and EHC2 here. Just as a precaution (has no actual effect), EHC1 and EHC2 are renamed to EH01 and EH02 in DSDT.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_23_at_2_20_51_PM.png

• Port limitations on XHC1 exist and escaped through renaming XHC1 to XHC (actually by leaving XHC as is without renaming to XHC1 as with 10.10).

Screen_Shot_2016_09_23_at_2_22_17_PM.png

• As a result, all ports work fine and no need to inject anything

usb.png

• I use FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to force route USB2 devices to EHCI (EH01 and EH02 now) and it does its job. With that said, it is not mandatory and removing that kext is not an issue. Without it XHC may handle USB2 devices connected through USB3 ports which only pose one side effect that the available ports on XHC are reduced while ready ports on EHCI are left unused. It should be noted that Windows itself (at least on my machine) let XHC handle USB2 devices connected through USB3 ports as with the case of OS X 10.11 without FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext.

win_usb_x.png

• Sleep/wake is irrelevant and change nothing

All good here, no need to use any patches or additional kexts rather than FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext if one knows how it works and still need it.

EDIT:

With regards to what I said above:

... What I see now is that all USB ports (2.0 & 3.0) are routed through XHCI and that XHCI does not handoff USB2 devices to EHCI although FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext is installed and this should not happen

I found that this behavior was due to a property for XHCI I added by mistake some time ago using Clover that function to set a key for RM,pr2-force to disable XHC to EHC port routing for USB2 which conflict with FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext:

<dict>
	<key>Comment</key>
	<string>No XHC to EHC port routing for USB2</string>
	<key>Key</key>	<string>RM,pr2-force</string>
	<key>Value</key>
	<data>
	 /z8AAA==
	</data>
</dict>

Removing that property resulted in that FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext working correctly.

macOS Sierra

Hey Guys !

I know it's been a long time, well i got busy. Anyway, I wanted to check Siri out so i did a clean install of macOS Sierra and i found out that we need some new patches. Keep in mind though, I haven't done much testing so they may be obsolete or not required anymore.

1. AppleHDA additional zero codec patch:

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Zeroing 10ec0885 codec</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				hQjsEA==
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>

2. New Boot graphics glitch patch (10.12.dp1) (credit denskop):

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Boot graphics glitch, 10.12.dp1</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				AQAAdSU=
				</data>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.12.x</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>IOGraphicsFamily</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AQAA6yU=
				</data>
			</dict>

3. Additional Broadcom WiFi BCM94352 fcvo patch (credits - the-darkvoid) :

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360 - fcvo (10.12+)</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				gflSqgAAdSk=
				</data>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.12.x</string>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AirPortBrcm4360</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				gflSqgAAZpA=
				</data>
			</dict>

Apart from these patches, use latest kexts (many of them are updated for Sierra support).

There are a few problems too:

1. Capslock key behaves erratically.

2. Brightness & volume keys don't work.

3. Others i don't know about.

Not recommended to be a daily driver for now.

@ahmed_ais : I was reading the last 2-3 pages and found out about the new clover hot-patch method which looks way better than the current auto-patcher. I haven't looked into it and frankly i can't for the time being but i know you figured it out, so add it to the guide when you get time.

• Like 3

macOS Sierra

Hey Guys !

I know it's been a long time, well i got busy.....

You have been missed, welcome back!

Anyway, I wanted to check Siri out so i did a clean install of macOS Sierra and i found out that we need some new patches. Keep in mind though, I haven't done much testing so they may be obsolete or not required anymore.

There are a few problems too:

1. Capslock key behaves erratically.

2. Brightness & volume keys don't work.

3. Others i don't know about.

I had problems with my broadband that just got fixed yesterday so I went ahead to try Sierra and I got hell of problems. I chose to upgrade coz I don't have much time to configure everything but I was terribly wrong by doing that. Not just some functions are broken as you mentioned, some apps had to be updated priori upgrading to 10.12. Paragon NTFS was on hell of an app that gave me a lot of KP and random reboots anytime I try to edit and save a file. 

Another bummer during upgrade process is that the installer refused to continue upgrading as not enough space (I had 9 GB though). It was pain until I was able to access the files from outside OSX to free some space and then to continue the upgrade. I'm not saying the upgrade is bad but it should be planned very well and clean install may not be that painful operation after all.

I would like to add this link to the information you provided. It covers all the problems found so far for Sierra on laptops (some of which are relevant to us). I want to as you though about the additional patch for AppleHDA since I did not use it and I still have AppleHDA functioning properly so I doubt we need it.

Not recommended to be a daily driver for now.

Absolutely agree ...

@ahmed_ais : I was reading the last 2-3 pages and found out about the new clover hot-patch method which looks way better than the current auto-patcher. I haven't looked into it and frankly i can't for the time being but i know you figured it out, so add it to the guide when you get time.

I will update the guide to cover Sierra very soon including the SSDT-HACK files which I currently use on my system.

• Like 2

...I had problems with my broadband that just got fixed yesterday so I went ahead to try Sierra and I got hell of problems. I chose to upgrade coz I don't have much time to configure everything but I was terribly wrong by doing that. Not just some functions are broken as you mentioned, some apps had to be updated priori upgrading to 10.12. Paragon NTFS was on hell of an app that gave me a lot of KP and random reboots anytime I try to edit and save a file. 

Another bummer during upgrade process is that the installer refused to continue upgrading as not enough space (I had 9 GB though). It was pain until I was able to access the files from outside OSX to free some space and then to continue the upgrade. I'm not saying the upgrade is bad but it should be planned very well and clean install may not be that painful operation after all....

That's exactly why i went straight to clean install. It's a painful to see most of the programs not compatible and uninstall or find updates. I installed it on my only El Capitan partition (after format) and would've surely lost access to mac if it didn't install or gave any errors. But i was feeling rather confident that it would work and it did.

As per mounting ntfs r/w, you can use NTFS-3G for the time being. It's not as efficient as Paragon or Tuxera performance wise but it gets the job done (and it's free). Use Homebrew to install it.

...I would like to add this link to the information you provided. It covers all the problems found so far for Sierra on laptops (some of which are relevant to us). I want to as you though about the additional patch for AppleHDA since I did not use it and I still have AppleHDA functioning properly so I doubt we need it....

Oh. Thanks for the link. AppleHDA didn't work for me after using your script (maybe because of a clean install). I did edit your script to support Sierra but I forgot almost everything about AppleHDA and how i made it work. So i just went ahead with the "easy" choice and used "AppleHDA Patcher 1.5". There's 1 problem with it though, "ambient noise reduction" doesn't seem to work. Siri doesn't seem to hear me even when i am 2 feet away from mic. I'll surely take a look at it later.

...I will update the guide to cover Sierra very soon including the SSDT-HACK files which I currently use on my system.

Great! 

Do recommend people to wait until it gets stable if they want to upgrade in-place.