Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

From your report I can see this:

074a6298fb9dc482.PNG

So you are using the external Nvidia GPU which disables Intel GPU completely and that's why you are having problems with OS X. Oh man, you could have saved us a LOT of time if you just read what I wrote in this guide more than a year ago:

1. Introduction

Lenovo Y510P released with different configurations and is adjustable. My model have the built-in Hard Disk Drive (SSHD 1TB+8GB Cache SSD integrated) in addition to second Nvidia graphics card in the caddy. In Windows with the second Nvidia GPU present we see no trace of Intel card which means the first Nvidia (the built-in not the external) is apparently attached to the display in a configuration that OS X do not know so the only option for now is to skip both Nvidia GPUs altogether. Therefor, the external Nvidia GPU must be removed and the switchable Nvidia GPU (Optimus) should be disabled, to prevent other problems, either via BIOS or by DSDT/SSDT patches.

Remove that Nvidia from the caddy and boot OS X .. your problem should be gone.

It is my mistake, I installed windows this morning and I did the test with the graphics card in laptop. Now I installed Windows on legacy, i want to try Yosemite Zone. Of course I did not have the graphics card when we try El Capitan and Yosemite.  Windows was on UEFI.

It is my mistake, I installed windows this morning and I did the test with the graphics card in laptop. Now I installed Windows on legacy, i want to try Yosemite Zone. Of course I did not have the graphics card when we try El Capitan and Yosemite.  Windows was on UEFI.

Then post another report without it .. or check for yourself what can Windows say about the Intel GPU.

Edit: I just noticed your intention to try Yosemite Zone, good luck with that!

Raport 2 No luck with Yosemite Zone. I am back on UEFI.

Sorry for that. I took a look onto your report but I believe it's OK.

I don't know what to say but your hardware is apparently fine (regardless of the boot delay). Something might be wrong in the procedure but I can't find it. An advice is to recreate the USB installer again and make a clean install. How about that?

I don't understand a thing, if i have DSDT way is don't check anything. ig-platform-id is NA.

P.S. I recreate USB with Yosemite Clover 2953(in the past work without problem). Install kext, everything works except graphics. I have the kext, config, DSDT which in the past works with no problems. ?

post-1130290-0-36029600-1455474532_thumb.jpg

post-1130290-0-32296200-1455474558_thumb.jpg

I don't understand a thing, if i have DSDT way is don't check anything. ig-platform-id is NA.

You could try setting it yourself from NA to 0x0a260006 and see what will happen. I'm not sure why Clover ignores the setting in your config.plist especially since we don't have the ig-platform-id set in our DSDT so DSDT is irrelevant. Also zip your CLOVER folder and attach it here .. (the one that works but with graphics broken).

UPDATE: I just checked Clover on my PC and FBConfig is NA here as well and I don't have graphics issues. I also believe this entry is a totally different thing than ig-platform-id and you should just ignore it.

Fate is against me. I moddet the BIOS  and now asks me the password :)). I tried: admin,000,1234,Lenovo. I never had the bios password.

O-Oh !! this is getting harder over time. I can't help on this, of course, but check where you downloaded the modded BIOS maybe there is a bit of information about it.

:))

BIOS is taken from the www.techinferno.com, I used the same files when I first Modding, when did not require any password. Maybe they put in service another BIOS chip that had previously password  :thumbsup_anim: . Good part is that, wifi card I used a mac before works.  :hysterical: Would go if i do update the original BIOS 3.05? Ask for password? And modd again.

Hello,
I have recently installed El Capitan on external HDD due to USB made with not supported here tool that begins with U (but the config was configured with the topic's advices). This is what I got with that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>-v dart=0 darkwake=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1</string>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>MacHDD</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>1</string>
		</dict>
		<key>FakeID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IMEI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IntelGFX</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>LAN</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>SATA</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>WIFI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>XHCI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>DisableDrivers</key>
	<array>
		<string>Nothing</string>
	</array>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>Windows</string>
			<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
		</array>
		<key>Language</key>
		<string>en:0</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<string>First</string>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1920x1080</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>tonymacx86</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
		<false/>
		<key>ig-platform-id</key>
		<string>0x0a260006</string>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<true/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<true/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>External icons patch</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				RXh0ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				SW50ZXJuYWw=
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x3</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>10/29/13</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MBP111.88Z.0138.B03.1310291227</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>10</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>MacBook-Aluminum</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>08</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>MacBook Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>Mobile</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacBookPro11,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>C02L34Q7FGYY</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Detect</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

When I tried to make EFI with clover installer it just didn't work for me (restart right after clicking to boot) so I copied EFI from USB and it worked.

BUT

When I try to change IntelGFX and set nv_disable=1 to false my Y510p is not booting. It stops right after Ethernet booting.

I know that you have uploaded yours config but when I tried it (with -v) it restarted itself. I will upload my EFI zipped and if u could look at it  because this graphic stuttering it making me crazy.

Is there any chance of you uploading your EFI (with erased SMBIOS for obvious reasons) zipped?

btw Thank you for this amazing tutorial. :)

Hello,

I have recently installed El Capitan on external HDD due to USB made with not supported here tool that begins with U (but the config was configured with the topic's advices).

Hello. Sorry to disappoint you but I cannot offer any help or support for your setup. You are using a tool that I don't know how it was coded and what exactly it does to your setup so I can't guide you on something that I don't know. Even if you used the config.plist I put in this guide it does not mean your system is vanilla. 

This guide intends to help installing OS X Yosemite and El Capitan on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p. There are many ways to install OS X on this machine but I will focus only on vanilla installation and only UEFI. So no myHack, no niresh, no iAtkos, no U-Beast, no what so ever with all respect to the developers behind these tools and distributions.

You can put a thread about your problems in the respective forum/website where you downloaded the tool you used. Otherwise, start clean and follow my guide which will get you there if you read carefully (and you will learn a thing or two as well).

Hello. Sorry to disappoint you but I cannot offer any help or support for your setup. You are using a tool that I don't know how it was coded and what exactly it does to your setup so I can't guide you on something that I don't know. Even if you used the config.plist I put in this guide it does not mean your system is vanilla. 

You can put a thread about your problems in the respective forum/website where you downloaded the tool you used. Otherwise, start clean and follow my guide which will get you there if you read carefully (and you will learn a thing or two as well).

Ok, I have a couple questions then. (If I decided to use yours tut)

0. (not a question just an assumption) I try to install OS X on external HDD - don't want to increase EFI partition on local (inner) SSD.

1. Do I have to start from the beginning if I have a booting, "working" OS X El Capitan or can I just configure EFI partition (on external HDD)?

2. Do I have to change kexts in clover configurator (one of the tabs) or can I just use the boot flag?

Ok, I have a couple questions then. (If I decided to use yours tut)

0. (not a question just an assumption) I try to install OS X on external HDD - don't want to increase EFI partition on local (inner) SSD.

1. Do I have to start from the beginning if I have a booting, "working" OS X El Capitan or can I just configure EFI partition (on external HDD)?

2. Do I have to change kexts in clover configurator (one of the tabs) or can I just use the boot flag?

1. If you are going to use this guide, then you will want to start from scratch and to format the partition where OS X will be installed. If you want to keep your existing OS X installation then you should prepare a separate partition for new setup. If you are going to use another disk to install OS X while the main disk already have EFI partition then there is no problem the second disk have EFI partition as well as Clover will be able to read EFI entries from multiple disks.
  2. I don't understand 

1. If you are going to use this guide, then you will want to start from scratch and to format the partition where OS X will be installed. If you want to keep your existing OS X installation then you should prepare a separate partition for new setup. If you are going to use another disk to install OS X while the main disk already have EFI partition then there is no problem the second disk have EFI partition as well as Clover will be able to read EFI entries from multiple disks.
  2. I don't understand 

1. Ok, I will do everything from the beginning (I have a OS X where I can download El Capitan this time at least :P)

2. I was asking about the booting flag kext-dev-mode=1 and if I have to change anything in config.plist (Clover Configurator-> Kernel and Kexts Patches tab) because I saw that you disabled that flag and add something there. I was also wandering if it was somehow automatized

New question:

3. On which GPU is your lenovo working (talking about OS X of course) because I understand that I have to put my ultrabay out if I am booting OS X and then - is it using HD4600???

1. Ok, I will do everything from the beginning (I have a OS X where I can download El Capitan this time at least :P)

2. I was asking about the booting flag kext-dev-mode=1 and if I have to change anything in config.plist (Clover Configurator-> Kernel and Kexts Patches tab) because I saw that you disabled that flag and add something there. I was also wandering if it was somehow automatized

New question:

3. On which GPU is your lenovo working (talking about OS X of course) because I understand that I have to put my ultrabay out if I am booting OS X and then - is it using HD4600???

• The flag kext-dev-mode=1 was necessary for Yosemite but not needed for El Capitan.
  • Don't use Clover Configurator because it can destroy your config.plist.
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "automatized" but I'm pretty sure my config.plist is created manually.
  • We only use Intel HD4600 with OS X and nothing else will work.
  • Like 1

What should I use instead of Clover Configurator? (I am asking because it was linked in downloads)

Clover Configurator is the only tool I know of that have a GUI to edit config.plist. It is good for the very noobs to learn the basics. However, Clover Configurator's development is behind Clover developed (obviously). This mean certain features in Clover may not be supported yet in the Configurator and therefore config.plist may break.

I still have it in the Downloads section because it makes generating SMBIOS a piece of cake. But I advise against using it for anything else. Alternatively, I suggest using any plist editor like PlistEdit Pro to edit config.plist. Plist editors do not have a great GUI like Clover Configurator but they allow editing the code inside the plist file directly which minimize the error possibility (assuming you know what you are doing).

Clover Configurator is the only tool I know of that have a GUI to edit config.plist. It is good for the very noobs to learn the basics. However, Clover Configurator's development is behind Clover developed (obviously). This mean certain features in Clover may not be supported yet in the Configurator and therefore config.plist may break.

I still have it in the Downloads section because it makes generating SMBIOS a piece of cake. But I advise against using it for anything else. Alternatively, I suggest using any plist editor like PlistEdit Pro to edit config.plist. Plist editors do not have a great GUI like Clover Configurator but they allow editing the code inside the plist file directly which minimize the error possibility (assuming you know what you are doing).

Ok. So as promised I started everything from a scratch. Sadly, it is happening again. The USB is not even booting. There is clearly lack of something. My lenovo is restarting right after showing shoing something before two lines and "++++.."

Here is mine config.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>ACPI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Debug</key>
            <false/>
            <key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>DSDT.aml</string>
            <key>ReuseFFFF</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>HaltEnabler</key>
        <true/>
        <key>SSDT</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DropOem</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Generate</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>-v dart=0 darkwake=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1</string>
        <key>Debug</key>
        <false/>
        <key>DefaultLoader</key>
        <string>boot.efi</string>
        <key>DefaultVolume</key>
        <string>LastBootedVolume</string>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Secure</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>5</integer>
        <key>XMPDetection</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
    <key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ResetHDA</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>FakeID</key>
        <dict>
            <key>IntelGFX</key>
            <string>0x0</string>
        </dict>
        <key>USB</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AddClockID</key>
            <true/>
            <key>FixOwnership</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>GUI</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Mouse</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DoubleClick</key>
            <integer>500</integer>
            <key>Enabled</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Mirror</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Speed</key>
            <integer>8</integer>
        </dict>
        <key>Scan</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ScreenResolution</key>
        <string>1280x1024</string>
        <key>Theme</key>
        <string>embedded</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ATI</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <true/>
            <key>NVidia</key>
            <false/>
        </dict>
        <key>NvidiaSingle</key>
        <false/>
        <key>ig-platform-id</key>
        <string>0x0a260006</string>
    </dict>
    <key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AppleRTC</key>
        <true/>
        <key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Debug</key>
        <false/>
        <key>KernelCpu</key>
        <false/>
        <key>KernelHaswellE</key>
        <false/>
        <key>KernelLapic</key>
        <false/>
        <key>KernelPm</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
    <key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
        <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
        <string>0x67</string>
        <key>MLB</key>
        <string>C02032109R5DC771H</string>
        <key>ROM</key>
        <string>UseMacAddr0</string>
    </dict>
    <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
        <string>10/29/13</string>
        <key>BiosVendor</key>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>MBP111.88Z.0138.B03.1310291227</string>
        <key>Board-ID</key>
        <string>Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC</string>
        <key>BoardManufacturer</key>
        <key>BoardType</key>
        <integer>10</integer>
        <key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
        <string>MacBook-Aluminum</string>
        <key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
        <key>ChassisType</key>
        <string>08</string>
        <key>Family</key>
        <string>MacBook Pro</string>
        <key>Manufacturer</key>
        <key>Mobile</key>
        <true/>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>MacBookPro11,1</string>
        <key>SerialNumber</key>
        <string>C02L34Q7FGYY</string>
        <key>Trust</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Version</key>
        <string>1.0</string>
    </dict>
    <key>SystemParameters</key>
    <dict>
        <key>InjectKexts</key>
        <string>Detect</string>
        <key>InjectSystemID</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I was also wandering about if I should add OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (I didn't). So in drivers64UEFI I have:

-EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

-FSInject-64.efi

-HFSPlus.efi

-OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

-OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

-PartitionDxe-64.efi

And in Kexts (10.11) only:

-FakeSMC.kext

-VoodooPS2Controller.kext

@edit2

When I tried to use your EFI (which is linked) lenovo restarted. So I added -v flag to spot where it stopped (literally stopped because this time it didn't restart). This is what I got:

3JahoAN.jpg?1

Edited by jamies5