Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Whoops, typo.. Yeah it's 4700. I added a Samsung 840 EVO so, 250GB.

I know that was a typo. Congrats on your SSD.

I just wanted to ask you something. I don't know if its safe to do it. But if you are a brave soul, can you try disabling "Intel Graphics" and enabling "PEG" under Primary Graphics? I tried doing it and but my settings seem to reset after exiting BIOS. 

Also keep in mind there might be risks. if you do not want to test this i would totally understand.

On a second thought, don't try it. I would feel bad if something happened (or your laptop get bricked). So DON'T try it.

Enjoy your hackintosh.

I know that was a typo. Congrats on your SSD.

I just wanted to ask you something. I don't know if its safe to do it. But if you are a brave soul, can you try disabling "Intel Graphics" and enabling "PEG" under Primary Graphics? I tried doing it and but my settings seem to reset after exiting BIOS. 

Also keep in mind there might be risks. if you do not want to test this i would totally understand.

On a second thought, don't try it. I would feel bad if something happened (or your laptop get bricked). So DON'T try it.

Enjoy your hackintosh.

It will be possible to reset the settings.. So I think I dare to try it. But, I do need a different config.plist and/or bootflags then right? 

And also.. I think I read somewhere that the unlocked BIOS is just the Lenovo BIOS but with all the menu's and parameters visible. And that it could be possible that some parameters don't have any effect on the booting of the laptop. So could it be possible that the setting doesn't work on our laptops? 

It will be possible to reset the settings.. So I think I dare to try it. But, I do need a different config.plist and/or bootflags then right? ....

Yeah it is possible but i've never needed to (never bricked it). Yeah you will. I just wanted to know if your video settings reset too (specifically igpu and primary graphics) after exit from BIOS.

...And also.. I think I read somewhere that the unlocked BIOS is just the Lenovo BIOS but with all the menu's and parameters visible. And that it could be possible that some parameters don't have any effect on the booting of the laptop. So could it be possible that the setting doesn't work on our laptops?....

Right. Define "some parameters". After unlocking you got tons of options, but not everything need to be changed. Its possible that some settings won't work. For ex. thermal temp setting. Fans should auto start at that temp (your defined) but they don't coz they are controlled by EC. Head over to the thread where you downloaded modded BIOS from and you'll see a lot of info.

Yeah it is possible but i've never needed to (never bricked it). Yeah you will. I just wanted to know if your video settings reset too (specifically igpu and primary graphics) after exit from BIOS.

Nope.. It resets after leaving BIOS.

Right. Define "some parameters". After unlocking you got tons of options, but not everything need to be changed. Its possible that some settings won't work. For ex. thermal temp setting. Fans should auto start at that temp (your defined) but they don't coz they are controlled by EC. Head over to the thread where you downloaded modded BIOS from and you'll see a lot of info.

Yes indeed.. Lots of pages to read. Will do sometime.. But it was just something I remembered, so don't know for sure and what specific parameters it regards. 

Can we use https://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ to get the built-in Wi-Fi working??

No.

The short answer by @intruder16 should be enough but I thought to give some details. First let's give some terminologies:

Device Firmware: implements low-level details that are required to operate the hardware, and provides an API/ABI to a higher level (i.e. firmware allows the hardware to "do" stuff).

Device Driver: provides an adapter between the OS and the API/ABI exposed by the firmware (i.e. drivers allow software [the OS and/or other third-party] to interact with the hardware).

So long story short, the driver (Kext in case of OS X) talks to the firmware if one is available and the OS is familiar with. Then the driver responds to the OS to operate the device. If the firmware and the OS are not familiar to each other then no driver can be made to make them talk. This is the problem with all Intel Wireless cards as the developer of the driver (Kext) will have to replace the firmware of the card to a compatible one before any attempt to develop a driver because the current firmware of all Intel Wireless cards is not compatible with OS X. Replacing a device's firmware with a custom one is not impossible but to have the custom firmware in the first place is. This is because the firmware have to be made specifically for that device and Intel wouldn't bother to make custom firmwares for its range of Wireless cards to please the hackintoshers !!

There is a reason that all Intel Wireless cards are listed here as unsupported with no exception. If there were any possibility to get any of them working it would have been mentioned somewhere. I hope these information would help clarify the situation (and of course hope they are 100% correct :P )

Could anyone know why AppleHDA.kext doesn't load? I have decided to switch audio to use AppleHDA, removed all VoodooHDA kexts and relatives, followed 6.2.2.1 Method 2 from this great guide, installed clean AppleHDA.kext, DummyHDA.kext and EAPDFix.kext from here. But it seems like that AppleHDA.kext doesn't load at all). I temporary switched to VoodooHDA back)

Could anyone know why AppleHDA.kext doesn't load? I have decided to switch audio to use AppleHDA, removed all VoodooHDA kexts and relatives, followed 6.2.2.1 Method 2 from this great guide, installed clean AppleHDA.kext, DummyHDA.kext and EAPDFix.kext from here. But it seems like that AppleHDA.kext doesn't load at all). I temporary switched to VoodooHDA back)

It should work fine assuming that:

• You are on 10.10.2 and using untouched AppleHDA.kext
  • You removed AppleHDADisabler.kext from /S/L/E and installed DummyHDA.kext and EAPDFix.kext
  • You set the Layout to 3 and added the 3 audio patches in clover's config.plist (as in the guide)
  • You fixed permissions and cleared cache then rebooted (you may need to do it twice)

Can you confirm you did all of that?

yes i've downloaded clean AppleHDA from your downloads section, removed VoodooHDA, AppleHDADisabler. I installed all 3 kexts AppleHDA, Dummy and EAP to S/L/E. I added audio inject 3 and 3 patches to config.plist. fix permissions, cleared cache and booted without kext caches)) it's miracle it doesn't work)

Ignore the bit about "booting without cache" as I believe Clover needs the cache to patch the kexts on-the-fly (I know it's in the guide but I will remove it). Also when you fix permissions and clear cache make sure the cache actually cleared. It sometimes takes a while before the command to clear the cache is executed. You can check with Console and you can assume the cache is cleared once you see a message like this:

com.apple.kextcache[365]: /: no supported helper partitions to update. 

Ignore the bit about "booting without cache" as I believe Clover needs the cache to patch the kexts on-the-fly (I know it's in the guide but I will remove it). Also when you fix permissions and clear cache make sure the cache actually cleared. It sometimes takes a while before the command to clear the cache is executed. You can check with Console and you can assume the cache is cleared once you see a message like this:

com.apple.kextcache[365]: /: no supported helper partitions to update. 

which console do you mean? terminal?

Guide updated. Change-log:

• 05/04/2015
    • Added a section for enabling the keyboard and touchpad for both Synaptics and Elan variants and the corresponding links in download section.
    • Added a paragraph for using SSD instead of HDD in Introduction for those who have (or plan to get) one
    • Added a section to enable TRIM support in Yosemite for SSD
    • Added a section to fix USB 3.0

4/5/15 6:20:38.042 PM com.apple.kextcache[610]: /: no supported helper partitions to update.

I think I've done all the right actions. I just have no luck) Could you please upload your AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E?

Here it is attached though I believe it's in the downloads section. Something is not right ... I would like to take a look on your EFI/Clover folder. 

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Unfortunately, this kext is the same as attached in downloads section) So it doesn't work) It might be cause of old version of Clover (2854) but i'm not sure. Anyway I've attached my CLOVER folder

Your config.plist is not properly configured. I cannot edit it right now, but do the following edits yourself:

• DropOEM_DSM -> false
  • Remove "DropTables"
  • Under "Devices" -> "Audio", you set "Inject" to "0x03" (hex - still wrong) which is wrong. Correct value is just "3" (decimal)
If it still doesn't work, post the md5sum of your AppleHDA.kext. Hope it helps.

And also, please follow the steps correctly. The config.plist provided in Downloads section by @Ahmed is all you need to follow.

Moreover, check your debug.log in misc directory, even it says injecting id of "1" under "HDA Controller". That's also a clue where you are wrong.

Same thing. BCM4352 is the chipset.

EDIT: Search on more online retailers for low price. I ordered one in 30.54 US dollars.

I found in China (24 USD) but it takes one month until reaching Romania. France is closer :). Thank you for your answer.

lol, Same here. Its not available in my country. Ordered one from china (AliExpress), let's see if it comes before world's end.  :hysterical:

• Like 1