Guide for Installing OS X on Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

ahmed_ais

1,428 posts in this topic

Even with this kext, still get the glitched graphics. Idk wtf is going on.

Ok. First of all, update your system specs in your Signature. All the details.

No my friend I didn't misunderstand you. I know this was your intention but I meant I could write the description my self and thought it is better you do so because it is your work.

I am happy with your collaportation to get this hackintosh better and better and would want this to continue ... So dont go far we still have the biggest issue to fix!

Don't worry my friend. We'll fix it.

Specify Intel Graphics too.

Now you are not trying to boot into OSX with SLI graphics are you? (I mean you removed the external graphics right?)

Specified. It's the Intel HD4600 graphics. Same as everyone else. And yes, I did take out my 2nd graphics card.

@notten: Have you played with any kext regarding graphics? also when was the last time you clear cache and fix permissions? 

Yes. I downloaded them from some youtube video I can't find now. There was a link to download two kexts. I replaced mine with them. Wish I didn't. I also fixed perms and cleared caches recently. I'll do it again now and post an update.

You know what, at this point I would advice you to reinstall OS X from scratch and follow the guide word by word in addition to any note made to you here .. It is better to invest 30 minutes installing so we know what exactly you have than spending hours/days chasing errors and problems that might be caused by something you did unintentionally that we don't know.  

You know what, at this point I would advice you to reinstall OS X from scratch and follow the guide word by word in addition to any note made to you here .. It is better to invest 30 minutes installing so we know what exactly you have than spending hours/days chasing errors and problems that might be caused by something you did unintentionally that we don't know.  

Aside from following the guide as much as possible, this is the only thing that I did that was non-standard. I copied two kexts over my existing /S/L/E. Good point on the install media tho. I'll try to recover from there, and if that fails, I'll re-install. Be back soon.

EDIT: Can I ask you to ZIP and send me the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext/ folder?

Aside from following the guide as much as possible, this is the only thing that I did that was non-standard. I copied two kexts over my existing /S/L/E. Good point on the install media tho. I'll try to recover from there, and if that fails, I'll re-install. Be back soon.

EDIT: Can I ask you to ZIP and send me the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext/ folder?

Sure, there you go ... notten.zip

• Like 1

Over the time the guide keeps evolving, getting more fat, and the editing process becomes painful. I should have divided the guide on more than on post to make it easier to edit and maybe easier to follow. I think of preparing the guide in PDF format and attach it to the first post instead of having all the work there and keep only the non-guide parts online like downloads, change-log, etc. Does anybody think this would be a bad idea? 

Thank you, sir! This did the trick. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

EDIT: Woohoo! Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB

Glad you have it working, have Fun!

Over the time the guide keeps evolving, getting more fat, and the editing process becomes painful. I should have divided the guide on more than on post to make it easier to edit and maybe easier to follow. I think of preparing the guide in PDF format and attach it to the first post instead of having all the work there and keep only the non-guide parts online like downloads, change-log, etc. Does anybody think this would be a bad idea? 

Glad you have it working, have Fun!

I don't like the PDF idea. The fact that it's in a post with collapsible areas, easy search, and click links to download stuff really helped. Also, I'm going to stick around in case there's anything I can help with. Maybe somehow work out enabling one of the two GeForce cards when running in SLI mode. I don't necessarily need both, but why would it be so difficult to get one to boot?

EDIT: Maybe using these: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

EDIT2: Or these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Guide updated in first post. Change-log:

• Updated section 6.2 Sound by adding update-safe method for a working AppleHDA
  • Updated section 6.2 Sound by adding HDMI Audio fix
  • Major clean up

I would prefer to stop trying to fix anything now (including nvidia) until we completely fix Intel graphics first. We have a problem with Intel graphics occurs whenever the display is turned OFF then ON, which is a process that can be replicated by different scenarios like:

• System sleep: it turns display off in the process then on wake it turns display on
  • Screen Saver: on switch on it turns display off then on to activate SS
  • Selecting display sleep to any corner from screen saver dialog 
  • Changing screen resolution: Display turns off then on as part of the process

The problem symptoms AFAIK are:

• Crippled graphics with gradients (as if it is 16-bit colour) in all translucent areas (Notification centre and Launchpad for example) 
  • Restart is not working (goes all the way and hang into a state where display is off, mouse and keyboard are off, and machine still working)

The first symptom can be ignored as it is somehow minor but the second is a deal breaker. Setting the system to sleep will trigger the problem which will break restart so we can generally say sleep is broken because of graphics problem.

Going deeper, I have been trying to investigate the problem as far as I can. I found that without graphic fix procedure in the guide (which is the accepted way in our community) the problem does not exist. Just remove all FakePCI*.kext and boot with FakeID=0x04168086 and the graphics will be unfixed but there is no way to replicate the problem.

To sum it up, the graphics fix which works nicely for other HD4600 mobile cards does not play nicely with ours. There may be a missing patch we have to have to work without this problem.

• Like 1

Hello, i followed the steps to get the Audio working with AppleHDA, but got no success, the system recognises the speakers, but they don't work...

BUT the Headphones work properly!, i don't know what happens.

Also the Fn+Up & Fn+Down doesn't work either

The problem symptoms AFAIK are:

•  
  • Crippled graphics with gradients (as if it is 16-bit colour) in all translucent areas (Notification centre and Launchpad for example) 
  •  
  • Restart is not working (goes all the way and hang into a state where display is off, mouse and keyboard are off, and machine still working)
  •  

The graphics problem is really a deal breaker. I tried every other ig-platform-id's all with framebuffer patches. I manually patched the framebuffers without FakePCI*.kexts. Still nothing. I don't know where the problem is. Log's don't say anything. I have to dig much deeper i think. Will try and let you know.

EDIT : Just got a word from RehabMan. Seems its tough to get it working. http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/145427-fix-intel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite-97.html#post995920 Here is what he said.

.....I found that without graphic fix procedure in the guide (which is the accepted way in our community) the problem does not exist. Just remove all FakePCI*.kext and boot with FakeID=0x04168086 and the graphics will be unfixed but there is no way to replicate the problem.....

FakeID=0x04168086 does nothing. There is no need to inject FakeID=0x04168086 because our graphics id already is 0x04168086. Injecting the same id again is absolutely unnecessary. 

Hello, i followed the steps to get the Audio working with AppleHDA, but got no success, the system recognises the speakers, but they don't work...

BUT the Headphones work properly!, i don't know what happens.

Which one method did you tried? Is it after sleep? Because the problems you are facing generally comes after waking up from sleep. The speakers support EAPD while other output, input devices don't. That's why you can see EAPDFix.kext in downloads section. All credits to EmlyDinesh the thread is http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/3084-eapdjack-sense-fix-no-audiojack-sense-issue-after-sleep/

What this does is check if the speakers are down after boot and sleep (FixType 1) and if they are, send one verb to power up EAPD (speakers). If you goto EAPDFix/Contents/Info.plist->IOKitPersonalities->EAPDFix->Preferences you will see the value of FixType. Change it to either 2,3 or 4 (check the guide i mentioned before to see what it does). Rebuild permissions, cache and reboot.

Note: DummyHDA.kext & EAPDFix.kext must be installed to S/L/E & be sure to add patches to Clover Config.

If its still not working then post your codec_dump.txt here.

Also the Fn+Up & Fn+Down doesn't work either

Did you used DSDT/SSDT's from OP? And which driver are you using VoodooPS2 or ELAN touchpad? 

FakeID=0x04168086 does nothing. There is no need to inject FakeID=0x04168086 because our graphics id already is 0x04168086. Injecting the same id again is absolutely unnecessary. 

Yea I'm aware of that ... I just meant "remove any graphics fix and go back to stock settings (in which using this FakeID or 0x0 would be the same to reflect no FakeID)".

EDIT : Just got a word from RehabMan. Seems its tough to get it working. http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/145427-fix-intel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite-97.html#post995920 Here is what he said.

Well, I thought it was related to re-initialize graphics (somehow, though not sure it is precisely true). Still it is good to get a very close comment to our issue because believe me no one was able to get that close to the problem before. I kept asking in forums and get advises far from being related like:

• Go patch your DSDT again and do it right!
  • Re-install OS X
  • Oh, you may need to patch IAOE
  • OK, grab ACPI native tables and investigate them
  • Post your config.plist
  • Have you re-installed OS X?

​So yes, it is not bad to be on the correct track even if it seems to be hard to fix.

...I kept asking in forums and get advises far from being related like:

• Go patch your DSDT again and do it right!
  • Re-install OS X
  • Oh, you may need to patch IAOE
  • OK, grab ACPI native tables and investigate them
  • Post your config.plist
  • Have you re-installed OS X?

​So yes, it is not bad to be on the correct track even if it seems to be hard to fix.

I know the feeling. But this time its different. Fixing this would be difficult. I really don't know how to give it more time. Reading that big Intel PRM will take so much time and don't know how much more to implement it. Still i'll try.

This is the only major problem keeping Y510p from being perfect.

I know the feeling. But this time its different. Fixing this would be difficult. I really don't know how to give it more time. Reading that big Intel PRM will take so much time and don't know how much more to implement it. Still i'll try.

Yea it's different though I have (some) doubts it is that hard. I'm not an expert and never claimed to be one but there are things we can see that experts can't due to the lack of hardware for them. The words by Rehabman -- while most of it are suggestions I believe -- may not be very accurate because I'm not sure how the OS would need to re-initialize graphics just to turn off display then on (display sleep) and the same goes for screen-saver and changing resolution.

Meanwhile, we have three options to pick from:

• Keep trying to fix this, or
  • Use SSD instead so boot time will be trivial and sleep will almost be the same as cold boot. This way we can ignore sleep altogether (and disable screen-savers of course). This is not a definite solution because connecting to external display will trigger the problem again. or
  • Give up Intel graphics and try getting Nvidia to work correctly.

Update:

I've been looking around and found this on Apple's Screen Saver Framework Reference Website:

Call Order

When OS X starts your screen saver, the following things happen:

1. The screen fades to black.

2. Your module is instantiated and its init routine is called.

3. The window is created.

4. Your module is installed in the window.

5. Your window is activated and its order is set. The drawRect call is called at this point.

6. The screen fades in, revealing your window in the front.

7. Your startAnimation method is called. This method should not do any drawing.

8. Drawing continues. Your animateOneFrame is called repeatedly.

9. The user takes some action.

10. Your stopAnimation method is called.

AFAIK, screen fade to black does not mean display driver is disabled/stopped and screen fades in does not also mean display driver is enabled/started/initialised. I understand that everything written above happens while display driver is loaded and nothing touch it. 

Yea it's different though I have (some) doubts it is that hard. I'm not an expert and never claimed to be one but there are things we can see that experts can't due to the lack of hardware for them. The words by Rehabman -- while most of it are suggestions I believe -- may not be very accurate because I'm not sure how the OS would need to re-initialize graphics just to turn off display then on (display sleep) and the same goes for screen-saver and changing resolution.

Meanwhile, we have three options to pick from:

1. Keep trying to fix this, or
  2. Use SSD instead so boot time will be trivial and sleep will almost be the same as cold boot. This way we can ignore sleep altogether (and disable screen-savers of course). This is not a definite solution because connecting to external display will trigger the problem again. or
  3. Give up Intel graphics and try getting Nvidia to work correctly.

1. Time-consuming

2. Sleep is important to me. I want my work to be resumed like in hibernate or sleep. After shutdown everything (apps, docs etc) need to be started again. I never used to shut down my windows (for months). Always on sleep.

3. The last time someone told me that was 3 years back. Now i'm not saying its not possible. Many are trying the same thing for years, but i don't see a solution yet. It is highly unlikely.

1. Time-consuming

2. Sleep is important to me. I want my work to be resumed like in hibernate or sleep. After shutdown everything (apps, docs etc) need to be started again. I never used to shut down my windows (for months). Always on sleep.

3. The last time someone told me that was 3 years back. Now i'm not saying its not possible. Many are trying the same thing for years, but i don't see a solution yet. It is highly unlikely.

I agree for the first two. For the last one let me remind you that our laptop is capable, somehow, to run with Nvidia card without Intel. This is different to the idea of enabling optimus on hackintosh which the community refuse it completely. The built-in Nvidia card in Y510p seems to be dedicated and I was able to fully boot into Yosemite with Nvidia only so it works here, but needs driver fix etc. 

....The built-in Nvidia card in Y510p seems to be dedicated and I was able to fully boot into Yosemite with Nvidia only so it works here, but needs driver fix etc. 

No offence mate, i'm really curious, but can you tell me how you did that? Did you select "Discrete" graphics from BIOS?

Even i think about the dedicated graphics part cause of the SLI system. But its still routes through intel somehow. 

No offence mate, i'm really curious, but can you tell me how you did that? Did you select "Discrete" graphics from BIOS?

Even i think about the dedicated graphics part cause of the SLI system. But its still routes through intel somehow. 

This have been discussed in this thread before starting in post #40 by bogdangepe and followed up for few posts thereafter. Basically, you keep the external card connected, which will disable Intel automatically and the internal Nvidia card will be responsible for display and nothing to be done in BIOS. We may not be able to make any use of the second card in OS X but this way we use the internal one. I was not able to get good graphics (only 7MB of VRAM) but this is a driver issue and bogdangepe said (with a picture to support this) he got 2048MB of VRAM so I think it is doable.

This have been discussed in this thread before starting in post #40 by bogdangepe and followed up for few posts thereafter. Basically, you keep the external card connected, which will disable Intel automatically and the internal Nvidia card will be responsible for display and nothing to be done in BIOS. We may not be able to make any use of the second card in OS X but this way we use the internal one. I was not able to get good graphics (only 7MB of VRAM) but this is a driver issue and bogdangepe said (with a picture to support this) he got 2048MB of VRAM so I think it is doable.

So this is Interesting! I don't have a ultrabay card sadly. Thus can't experiment. But its a good start. If you can fix the driver issue it'll work.

The Lenevo GeForce GT750M is a rebranded Nvidia one (internal) and the Nvidia GeForce GT750M is the ultrabay. What does the Lenevo Graphics shows in info?

So this is Interesting! I don't have a ultrabay card sadly. Thus can't experiment. But its a good start.

Yep, that's one reason why I didn't give this much of a test because not much of Y510p users will have the ultrabay card. Those who don't have it can still disable the Intel card and rely mainly on the built-in Nvidia but they have to flash a modded BIOS (which is also reported in this thread) so you are not out of luck but take great care.

The other reason I skipped this for now is that it's a special hardware configuration that not much in the community have so less information and help would be provided. I though to keep working with what is known in the community to have better success.

Yep, that's one reason why I didn't give this much of a test because not much of Y510p users will have the ultrabay card. Those who don't have it can still disable the Intel card and rely mainly on the built-in Nvidia but they have to flash a modded BIOS (which is also reported in this thread) so you are not out of luck but take great care.

The other reason I skipped this for now is that it's a special hardware configuration that not much in the community have so less information and help would be provided. I though to keep working with what is known in the community to have better success.

I have downloaded the Modded BIOS but i don't get the need to flash it. I wanted to flash modded BIOS only because i wanted to change wifi, but since i have a usb wifi now, i don't really feel the need to flash it (no need to mention the risks). I'll check the options it offers and deal with it accordingly.

And you should really try to make Nvidia work. Because right now we're stuck in between. I'll try with Intel HD (maybe nvidia too but let's see what a mod BIOS offers).