Patch enabling Handoff for non Apple BT4 devices.

luki1979

130 posts in this topic

mobster, thanks for this suggestion. That dongle would be even cheaper than the whole BCM94360CD plus PCI-E adapter... Do you still use the combo card's wifi?

Would it be possible to use the combo card's wifi and the bluetooth dongle?

Would it be possible to use the wired LAN internet connection plus the bluetooth dongle to get all continuity and handoff features or do I need wifi?

Did you need to do any patching with that dongle? Do I have to check with the seller first for any vendor/product ID? Does wake via bluetooth keyboard/trackpad work here?

Thanks

mobster, thanks for this suggestion. That dongle would be even cheaper than the whole BCM94360CD plus PCI-E adapter... Do you still use the combo card's wifi?

Would it be possible to use the combo card's wifi and the bluetooth dongle?

Would it be possible to use the wired LAN internet connection plus the bluetooth dongle to get all continuity and handoff features or do I need wifi?

Did you need to do any patching with that dongle? Do I have to check with the seller first for any vendor/product ID? Does wake via bluetooth keyboard/trackpad work here?

Thanks

VirusX, I still use the combo card's wifi in conjunction with the bt dongle and it works great. So, yes it's possible. I am not sure about the wired connection though and I can't test it, but I searched some fora and people said that handoff worked fine through ethernet too. About the patching, I downloaded Continuity Activation Tool which supposedly has support for the Gmyle bt dongle but it didn't find it when I installed it. I had also kept the clover patch enabled, so I am not sure which of the two did the trick. You don't need to check anything with the seller, just order it from the link I sent you. About the wake from bluetooth I am not sure because I don't have a bt keyboard/trackpad connected. If I can find it somewhere in the system info I'll check back with you in the afternoon.  

• Like 1

thanks for the information, mobster. I was thinking about ordering the dongle from another seller from the UK because it will ship in less than one week instead of 3-4 weeks from china (the link you provided). I think I found the exact same dongle (even with the same description etc) here. The 5 Euros more might be worth the faster shipping :)

I will do some research too about getting handoff etc to work with LAN and bluetooth dongle. In that case I could (maybe) return the BCM94360CD card...

As far as I know, wake from bt keyboard/mouse/trackpad works if the mainboard delivers enough energy through to bluetooth card/dongle. Not sure though if the 5V from the dongle are enough or not...

Have you just unplugged the bluetooth cable from your BCM94360CD adapter card to your mainboard or did you do anything else to deactivate the bluetooth module of that card? Uninstall the btfirmwareuploader?

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have the next especs, but the patch don't work tell me, what's the problem? thanks 

• Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.29 GHz

•  Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.3.4b11 15476

Hardware, Features, and Settings:

Name: MacBook Air de Victor

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Handoff Supported: No

Instant Hotspot Supported: No

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702A3

Firmware Version: v14 c4096

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: On

Connectable: Yes

Auto Seek Pointing: Off

Remote wake: On

Vendor ID: 0x0489

Product ID: 0xE042

HCI Version: 0x6

HCI Revision: 0x1000

LMP Version: 0x6

LMP Subversion: 0x220E

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Mac Portable

Composite Class Of Device: 0x38010C

Device Class (Major): 0x01

Device Class (Minor): 0x03

Service Class: 0x1C0

Auto Seek Keyboard: Off

•  Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x168C, 0x8F)

Firmware Version: Atheros 9285: 4.0.74.0-P2P

Locale: APAC

Country Code: MX 

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Wake On Wireless: Supported

AirDrop: Supported

Current Network Information:

Also you can try BrcmPatchRAM.kext Just install with kext wizard direct your System/Library/Extensions and restart.

https://github.com/the-darkvoid/BrcmPatchRAM/releases

The result is the same, why? i use clover is one Lenovo y480 Laptop

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Handoff Supported: No

Instant Hotspot Supported: No

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Transport: USB

Chipset: 20702A3

Firmware Version: v14 c5580

Hello,

My Wi-Fi Card : AR5B97 is toledaARPT load Active

IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter: 20702A3 - FW: v14 c5555 

Clover Patch:

YvZzdl.png

Don't Work AirDrop and Handoff?

VirusX, I personally gave up trying to make my combo card's bluetooth work and ended up bying this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261598557927?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT which was delivered to me today and I have to tell you it works flawlessly! So, I think you should do the same.

hi mobster,

that bluetooth dongle you suggested arrived now too. It works as you said (handoff clover patch applied)- in my case even together with wifi. My wifi connection with the BCM94360CD card is still not really stable - sometimes the data rate is down to a few kb/s for a minute or so and then back up to full speed...

My main problem is that with the BCM20702 bluetooth dongle my hack won't go to sleep properly. The system goes to sleep first (fans and hard drives off etc) but then wakes up immediately a second later. This is in the log:

kernel[0]: The USB device BCM920702 Bluetooth 4.0 (Port 1 of Hub at 0x1d000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)

When I unplug the dongle, everything is fine. Right now, I am trying different USB ports...

Do you have that problem as well? If yes, how did you solve it?

VirusX, 

I never had any sleep wakeup issues with the dongle, and I have it plugged in in a USB 3 port (if it hepls somehow). Maybe you can fix it by going to energy saver and disabling "Wake for network access"? Although you would lose wake on LAN too.

Thanks for your suggestions, mobster.

My mainboard is too old to have USB 3  :blush:

I have tested my front USB ports, the hub on the monitor and some of the rear USB ports - so far it doesn't matter where the dongle is plugged in - my computer wakes up from sleep automatically again.

Wake for network access is disabled anyway since I don't need it.

It seems that I just have bad luck with the whole wifi/bluetooth/handoff thing. But a hackintosh without little issues would be boring, right?

I might look/ask for help in some other thread since this is going off topic - maybe there's a little patch for that :)

Thanks again so far!

Try using -gux_defer_usb2 kernel flag in clover.

That didn't help unfortunately. 

The computer turns back on 1 second after going to sleep but the monitor stays in standby. When I click/hit a button on the keyboard, the monitor turns back on..

I will be busy/not home for the next 2-3 weeks so I will look into it again later...

QUAK3, Handoff is not enabled because you use an Atheros based wifi card. You need a Broadcom based wifi ac card. Search for BCM94360CD on ebay, it usually costs ~40$ including the PCI-e adapter.

TL-WDN4800 Handoff Support?

hi. i'm using a bcm94352 bt+wifi and running 10.10.3 ... ii think something changed because wifi and bluetooth are working well, so airdrop. but not handoff. i try patching iousbfamily...but it disable me bluetooth.

what could i do?

virus x

i also bought an BCM94360CD with a pci-e adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-802-11AC-BCM94360CD-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00RCKZ3SU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428539596&sr=1-1&keywords=BCM94360CD

that is the item but i order from another seller the person or company i order from no longer appears in amazon

my wifi works ootb but no bluetooth

i tried changing the pins in the usb cable to match the pins in my motherboard

trying to make bluetooth works but that didn't work either

so i ordered a usb bluetooth 4.0 dongle

this one have a compatible broadcom chip

http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Bluetooth-Technology-Wireless-Broadcom/dp/B007MKMJGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428538862&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+4.0+gmyle

the 10 meter version

then when i tried to use continuity tool to active hands off and continuity

i had the message that could not detect the bluetooth module

to make a long story short

this is how i got it to work

first logoff from iCloud and from the mac store

put Continuity Activation Tool.app on the desktop

now go to terminal

cd "$HOME/Desktop/Continuity Activation Tool.app/Contents/Resources"

press enter

sudo ./contitool.sh -f

press enter

type passowrd

press enter

wait for it to finished 

when it does

now simply reboot

sorry for my bad english hope you understand

good luck

• Like 1

So, I've got an Atheros AR9285 wifi card that also has bluetooth. The Bluetooth version is 2.3, so continuity won't work.

I've bought an ASUS BT400 Bluetooth Dongle with the BCM20702A0 chipset.

I've plugged in the dongle but the old Bluetooth (with the wifi card) still kicks in.

How do I switch the bluetooth adapter and what should I do to enable continuity with the BCM20702A0?

Thanks!

That didn't help unfortunately. 

The computer turns back on 1 second after going to sleep but the monitor stays in standby. When I click/hit a button on the keyboard, the monitor turns back on..

I will be busy/not home for the next 2-3 weeks so I will look into it again later...

quick follow-up from me. I have been MIA for the last weeks since I wasn't home with my hackintosh. But what I just found out: My computer will sleep with the bluetooth dongle plugged in IF I am more patient:

I click on sleep --> computer goes to sleep (everything how it is supposed to be) BUT the computer turns back on after 3 seconds in stand-by. The monitor stays black (standby) though. If I press a button, the monitor turns back on.

BUT if I don't do anything after the computer automatically woke up, the computer automatically goes back to sleep like half a minute later. I haven't figured out what exactly is happening but this where I am right now...

Hi guys, 

I have an Asus USB-BT400 and a Broadcom BCM4322 wifi card.

Tried the clover patch and the ContinuityActivationTool, no dice. Any help is appreciated.

BT:

Apple Bluetooth Software Version:	4.3.4f4 15601
  Hardware, Features, and Settings:
  Name:	Cezar’s Mac Pro
  Address:	5C-F3-70-65-B8-EE
  Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:	Yes
  Handoff Supported:	No
  Instant Hotspot Supported:	No
  Manufacturer:	Broadcom
  Transport:	USB
  Chipset:	20702A3
  Firmware Version:	v14 c4096
  Bluetooth Power:	On
  Discoverable:	Off
  Connectable:	Yes
  Auto Seek Pointing:	On
  Remote wake:	On
  Vendor ID:	0x0B05
  Product ID:	0x17CB
  HCI Version:	0x6
  HCI Revision:	0x1000
  LMP Version:	0x6
  LMP Subversion:	0x220E
  Device Type (Major):	Computer
  Device Type (Complete):	Mac Desktop
  Composite Class Of Device:	0x380104
  Device Class (Major):	0x01
  Device Class (Minor):	0x01
  Service Class:	0x1C0
  Auto Seek Keyboard:	On

Wifi:

Vendor Device SubVen SubDev VendorName            DeviceName
14E4,  432B,  106B,  008F,  Broadcom Corporation, BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I just got the BCM94360CD from china and obviuosly it is not a genuine product. Wifi works OOB, but Bluetooth doesn't work at all. The Product IDs I see do not bring any google results:

post-905315-0-12377800-1437557400_thumb.png

I tried the patch, seems not to be working, but I am not sure if it was executed by clover, how can I verify it? What are some other troubleshooting steps I could take?

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, not working for me with am ASUS BT400 (Broadcom 20707A3, Firmware v14 c4096.) Although I am not entirely certain of the steps. All I did was use Clover to inject IOBluetoothFamily. I tried both:

Find:        8B878C010000
Replace:     B80F00000090
and

Find:        48 85 C0 74 5C 0F B7 48
Replace:     41 BE 0F 00 00 00 EB 59

Neither gives me Handoff Supported: Yes

I ran the Continuity Tool and I get the following:

--- Hardware/OS checks ---
Verifying Continuity status...          OK. OS X reports Continuity as inactive
Verifying Mac model reference...        OK. Known compatible Mac Model detected: MacPro3,1
Verifying Mac board-id...               OK. Short board id detected: Mac-F42C88C8
Verifying OS X version...               OK. Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F27) detected
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware...             NOT OK. No active AirPort card was detected. Continuity will not work.
Verifying AWDL status...                NOT OK. Your Wi-Fi card doesn't support AWDL, and therefore doesn't work with Continuity.
Verifying Bluetooth hardware...         WARNING: Could not detect Bluetooth hardware.
Verifying Bluetooth version...          OK. Bluetooth 4.0 detected
Verifying Bluetooth features...         OK. Bluetooth features are currently not compatible with Continuity. This tool can try to fix this.
Verifying Bluetooth firmware...         OK. Bluetooth firmware version: v14 c4096

--- Modifications check ---
Verifying OS kext protection...         OK. Kext developer mode is not active. This tool can fix this.
Verifying kexts readability...          OK. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth kexts were found and could be read
Verifying Bluetooth blacklist status... OK. Your Mac model is not blacklisted
Verifying Wi-Fi whitelist status...     OK. Your board-id is not yet whitelisted. This tool can fix this.
Verifying old Wi-Fi kext presence...    OK. Legacy Brcm4331 Wi-Fi driver is present. This tool can fix this.
Verifying legacy Wi-Fi card patch...    OK. The legacy Wi-Fi patch is not present. This tool can fix this.
Verifying BT4 dongles compatibility...  OK. Compatibility with BT4 USB dongles is not enabled, this tool can fix this if a dongle is plugged in

What are my next steps?