Patch enabling Handoff for non Apple BT4 devices.

luki1979

130 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

what exactly was changed with this command? I can't boot after this and no kext-dev-mode=1 works. I even went as far as plugging the drive via usb to my other machine, removing the iobluetoothfamily kext and installing a vanilla one. I just can't boot. Help me please, i want to revert the changes

I'm running chameleon by the way

UPDATE: Fixed, just had to repair permissions with disk utility. many permission problems

I have a Broadcom (NOT Apple) BCM94360CD with a BCM20702A0 bluetooth controller that has vendor ID 0a5c and product ID 22be. At first my bluetooth wasn't recognised at all. I then entered the product and vendor IDs in the BTFirmwareUploader kext and then my Bluetooth was recognised. Then I learned about the Clover patch that enables Handoff and I did it using the following: 

Find: 8B878C010000

Replace: B80F00000090

Then, after an iCloud logout from both of my devices Handoff worked! BUT, after a restart i couldn't get it to work anymore, even though Handoff is shown as enabled and is setup correctly in both of my devices (Hackintosh and iPad Air). Does anybody know why this is happening? Is this an Apple/iCloud issue or am I doing something wrong? 

P.S. I noticed that doing an iCloud logout from both of my devices, restarting them and signing in to iCloud again gets it to work, but it is a hassle and I would like to avoid it.

Well, I have an update on my system described above: Everything works flawlessly now with the new clover patch 

Filename: IOBluetoothFamily

Find: 48 85 C0 74 5C 0F B7 48 

Replace: 41 BE 0F 00 00 00 EB 59

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

My bluetooth dongle IOGEAR GBU521 gives me a major error in 10.10.2 official release. When the dongle is plugged in, I won't be able to boot into the OS at all. It will automatically restart after the apple logo and loading bar. 

I can boot successfully when the dongle is not plugged in. If I plug it in when the OS is already running, my computer will restart immediately without any warning. 

Currently I use the IOBluetoothFamily.kext from 10.10.1 as it is the only fix right now.

I also already tried the new clover patch posted by dokterdok and mobster1940 for 10.10.2 beta but it seems not working.

My wifi card is BCM94322HM8L (Mini PCIe, half-size, a/b/g/n) and works out of the box.

Lots of patching later and thanks to that new Clover patch, Handoff capability is there in system profiler (Bluetooth) and enabled in general settings! Yay!

But wait, it doesn't actually work :(

AirDrop works. My real Apple devices work with handoff ok (showing what is open in safari on the other device). Even iMessage works (except for sms forwarding) as I don't use it on my Mac Mini so I cloned the MLB and ROM from that. But handoff? Nada. Nothing happens.

It's a BCM94352

Any thoughts?

Thought I was onto something there!

http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2u1a6a/clover_10102_lost_handoff_support/co6026g

But still not working after adding an smUUID and board serial number that were indeed missing.

I guess they're finally clamping down on Hackintoshes - suppose it was only really a matter of time.   The writing's on the wall with how they're being about iMessage with tightening security week after week, it was inevitable they'd do the same with iCloud and anything else that broadcasts outward. 10.10.2 is tight as a duck's bottom.

Depressing thought, but perhaps time to start thinking about keeping PCs Windows/Linux based.   It's a pity they won't let it slide for some license fee.

Resolved, eventually, with the help of the reddit thread and the continuity tool.  I was avoiding using the tool, hoping to do everything through Clover and DSDT hacks but alas.. I'm clueless!  I was following things like toleda's numbered guides (which though I'm grateful he puts them out, always make my brain hurt as I'm never sure which numbers are "do this OR this depending on what you have / how you'd like to do it" and which numbers are "do these things in sequence")

• Like 1

Cloudane, could you explain the steps you took because it seems I am running into the same problem again?(no handoff after restart). I have a working MLB and ROM from my iMac which I have already put in Clover. Thanks in advance.

I'm determined to document this so I'll get there properly eventually!  It looks like the new things you need, along with the cloned MLB and ROM for a legit Mac (possibly only for iMessage and Facetime, but I get the impression it's needed for app Handoff as of 10.10.2, correct me if I'm wrong on that):

- An sm-uuid in the SMBIOS section (type uuidgen from the terminal to generate one)

- A board serial number (take your serial number, add 5 alphanumeric characters on the end, total 17 characters)

Along with all the things it tells you if you grab the Continuity Activation Tool and run the diagnostics.  If you have any errors or warnings (except for one where I think it said it didn't detect the wifi at all but listed all the checks ok underneath it - maybe a bug in the tool) then it won't work.  I gave up trying to fix them in some unbreakable way like Clover injections, and just let the tool do the kext patches instead.

The other things I had to do to nudge it were:

- Remove iCloud from the Hack and sign back in agan

- On the iPhone, go into Settings - Messages - Text message forwarding - activate the Hack from there

Once I'd entered the text forwarding security code, it seemed to whitelist something somewhere and start working with app handoff.

I tried all of the above steps but it seems nothing is working. I have entered my product and vendor id in IOBluetoothFamily.kext so that my bluetooth is recognised by the OS and entered the latest patch in Clover so that the Handoff option is enabled in System Preferences->General. After that, if I sign into iCloud from my hack and my iPad  all is working fine, but something seems to go wrong when I shut down and boot up again. Everything keeps working if I just restart though. It seems some certificate/authorization is lost when I shut down my hack. I tried the continuity activation tool too but with no success. In my config.plist I have everything OK including UUID (tried different but no success), ROM and LMB from my old iMac (iMessage/FaceTime working perfectly). I can't figure out what's wrong. Any help/ideas welcome. 

P.S. My wifi+bt card is a BCM94360CD but my bluetooth controller is a BCM20702A0 with Broadcom as vendor.Maybe the problem lies somewhere there, BUT I know it can be done as it works if I sign out of iCloud from both my devices, restart them and sign into iCloud again. 

Well, I have an update on my system described above: Everything works flawlessly now with the new clover patch 

Hi,

it seems that I have the same problem:

BCM20702A0:

Product ID: 0x22be

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.)

Version: 1.12

Serial Number: 000000000000

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp

Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

is showing up. The Chinese seller didn't send me the "real deal" Apple card -.-

If you got that fixed, I would like to avoid sending it back and discuss refunding me etc.

Could maybe tell me how that inserting of the right vendor ID into bluetooth worked? I am a bit overwhelmed by the choices...

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi,

it seems that I have the same problem:

is showing up. The Chinese seller didn't send me the "real deal" Apple card -.-

If you got that fixed, I would like to avoid sending it back and discuss refunding me etc.

Could maybe tell me how that inserting of the right vendor ID into bluetooth worked? I am a bit overwhelmed by the choices...

Thank you!

Well, I came to the conclusion that Handoff only works in 10.10 (not 10.10.2). You need to install this kext for your Bluetooth to be recognized. Try installing it with kext wizard and repair permissions/rebuild cache afterwards. Hope I helped.

BTFirmwareUploader.kext.zip

• Like 2

Thank you for your quick response. I should've checked back to this post an hour ago when you posted and could've saved an hour of googling because -- bluetooth works now with your kext. Thank you!

I threw the kext into my clover/kext/10.10 folder and rebootet and paired my keyboard and trackpad again.

So... since I already updated to 10.10.2, I am (we are) screwed regarding hand-off. At least for now. :(

Have you found out what has changed in 10.10.2 compared to 10.10 that broke hand-off again?

Thank you for your quick response. I should've checked back to this post an hour ago when you posted and could've saved an hour of googling because -- bluetooth works now with your kext. Thank you!

I threw the kext into my clover/kext/10.10 folder and rebootet and paired my keyboard and trackpad again.

So... since I already updated to 10.10.2, I am (we are) screwed regarding hand-off. At least for now. :(

Have you found out what has changed in 10.10.2 compared to 10.10 that broke hand-off again?

No, unfortunately I haven't found out what stops handoff in 10.10.2 but seem to have a problem in 10.10 too. Handoff works but when I shut down and boot again (not restart) handoff is lost. Although, I checked my console and saw that it keeps starting/stopping handoff advertising but my iPad can't see it or handoff anything to it. The only solution is to sign out/in from my devices and it starts working again. Hope somebody has a solution to that. 

• Like 1

Some magic happened last night. I was able to fix my bluetooth problem on 10.10.2 . All continuity features seems to work including Handoff, Airdrop Mac-iOS and weirdly enough iMessage and FaceTime suddenly fixed. (I called Apple long time ago and gave them the customer code but it did not solve the problem and I gave up with this iMessage-FaceTime issue.)

So here is what I did:

1) Fresh vanilla install 10.10.2 . (Updating from 10.10.1 to 10.10.2 will give me a major error with my bluetooth and won't be able to boot after the update with my bluetooth dongle plugged in)

2) Remove my wifi device ID from AirPortBrcm4331.kext and add it in AirPortBrcm4360.kext. ( Since I use BCM4322, I have to do this step as mentioned here )

3) Add wifi fake ID in clover ( In my case, my device ID is 432b which is the one used in step 2 and my vendor ID is 14e4. So the fake ID will be 0x432b14e4 )

4) Add this to KextsToPatch in clover:

the same patch posted by dokterdok for 10.10.2 

That's it! Everything works after restart. But I still experiencing unstable wifi connection as in 10.10 and 10.10.1 . Apple's wifi driver maybe.

Good luck with your hack. Feel free to ask anything.

Hey VirusX, i got some good news! I finally somewhat understood what's going on with Handoff. It looks like every time I shutdown, some ID or something is lost and Handoff refuses to start the next time I boot. So I disabled ERP in BIOS and now Handoff works as advertised and better. But, my seagate USB drive won't stop spinning because the motherboard keeps giving power to all connected USB ports, including my bt. If anybody can think of something about it please let me know.

• Like 1

Hi Mobster,

thank you for that tip. I checked my BIOS but couldn't find an option for ErP. But I found something for other GA mainboard BIOSes:

ErP Support

Determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W power in S5 (shutdown) state. (Default: Disabled)
Note: When this item is set to Enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable:
PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.

In my BIOS I found "PME event wake up" [Enabled], Power On by Ring [Enabled], Resume by Alarm [Disabled], Power On by Mouse [Disabled] and Power On by Mouse [Disabled]. 

I _assume_ since I have those settings, ErP is disabled in my BIOS. I did set Power On by Mouse to Enabled just to see if there is a difference.

I googled some more for an explanation for ErP (for those who are interested):

Enabling ErP will disable waking from full power off state with anything other than the power switch. With ErP disabled, it's possible to set your computer up to turn on with a click of the mouse or with a keyboard, or with a packet sent to the NIC. It has no effect on waking from sleep.

The purpose of it is environmental. When powered off, your motherboard makes sure it has just enough power to receive a power on signal from it's connected devices. if ErP is enabled the motherboard allows itself to full power down.

At the moment, I have different problems to solve first: I cannot pair my iPhone with my computer right now. I have to confirm the pairing code on my phone, then it says connected for 3 seconds and then I am disconnected again. I have to solve that problem first.

Not sure what the problem is exactly. After I inserted your BluetoothEnabler kext in clover, the first boot was fine (as reported the other day) but at the next boot I got a message before I reached the desktop "Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software".

I was able to boot back in ignoring caches. I rebuild caches and the message disappeared.

But now Bluetooth doesn't really work in Windows anymore. Before that, both the keyboard and the trackpad were working fine in windows 8 including 2 finger scroll etc. Now I cannot even pair them any more. Windows finds the keyboard for 2 seconds but then it is gone again.

Also the Wifi has random drops where there no traffic any more for some minutes before it works again. Not sure if that is a problem with my card, the software (there are yosemite wifi problems) or my router (wifi connection has full bars though).

Sorry for the lengthy post. Some of it is in the wrong category here. But it seems I have to figure other stuff out first before I can hope for handoff to work :/

edit: yesterday when I got a phone call on my iPhone, my hackintosh was ringing too but since bluetooth is not connected, I didn't pick up because I assumed that this was necessary to transmit the sound of the call, right?

VirusX, let's try a few things:

1. Clear your CMOS and try a different usb port for your bt card (or unplug/plug the cable) in your motherboard. See if Windows registers your bt and make sure it works right. Mine was auto installed by Windows as a Generic Bluetooth Device (it works fine btw)

2. Boot into OSX and install BTFirmwareUploader.kext in System/Library/Extensions. (use Kext Wizard app, it's free and very easy to use). Repair permissions/rebuild cache.

3. After that sign out of iCloud, even from Mac App store, facetime, imessage etc.

4. Go into Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.Bluetooth.plist

5. Reboot and sign in to iCloud. See if Handoff works. You don't need to pair your iPhone to your Hack to get Handoff working.

I don't know your type of motherboard so I can't say for sure if it supports ErP (or if you need it as I did). Also, don't forget to use the latest clover patch in post 1

• Like 1

mobster, thank you a lot!

I did exactly as you told me to and I had success :)

Bluetooth is recognized in windows correctly again and I was able to pair my keyboard and trackpad again.

I just placed a call from my mac over my iphone (not paired - that still doesnt work). I was able to hear the other side through my computer speakers but the other person couldn't hear me. Have to check what the reason for that might be. FaceTime is set to have my webcam as audio input and not my soundcard. That works with normal FaceTime calls. But this is getting off-topic again. 

I'm trying to test handoff now - I have to find out what I have to do in safari etc so that that little icon pops up because so far there's nothing...

• 2 weeks later...

ooookay, a quick follow up from me:

with the patch and the BTfirmwareuploader, I got Bluetooth and handoff to work. My apple keyboard and trackpad work. But I cannot pair my iPhone. It says connected and after 2 seconds is is not connected any more.

BIG problem I have now: as soon as I have bluetooth turned on, I cannot use wifi any more. It is still connected to my network but there is no data transfer any more. I turn bluetooth off -- wifi is back to full speed. I have read here, that this could be because of the two wired usb connector cable of my adapter card?

Has anyone else here the same problem that either wifi OR bluetooth works? What could be the cause? the card, the adapter or my old mainboard? 

Thanks

You don't need to pair the iPhone. It would brake everything. Delete all the Bluetooth prefs, restart and don't try to pair it again. Iphone and Mac are connected thru your iCloud account together, it uses Bluetooth to make calls with FaceTime etc but no need for pairing. Good luck.

I deleted the bluetooth preferences, rebooted and only paired my trackpad and keyboard. But the issue stays the same: as soon as I have bluetooth activated, the data rate of the wifi connection is almost non-existent. It seems that every now and then, the wifi connection gets up to 20-30 kb/s and slowly starts to load a webpage.

As soon as I turn bluetooth off, I get the full speed of my internet connection over wifi.

maybe the adapter card and my old mainboard don't want to work together? how can I rule that out? The problem is that I cannot order some different card and adapters off ebay and test them because it will take 4 weeks of shipping from china to europe every time -.-

it seems that my problem could be a well known Yosemite problem:

bluetooth and wifi use the same frequency and apparently apple's Yosemite drivers are shiiit and cause all sorts of problem when you also use 2.4 GHz Wifi:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/153009/bluetooth-and-wifi-interfering-with-one-another-since-yosemite

of course I don't have a mavericks install left for testing purposes and I don't have a 5 GHz wifi router :(