[USB Wifi] Updated Ralink/Mediatek RT2870/ RT2770/ RT3X7X/ RT537X/ RT5572

rodrigocunha
460 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2020 at 3:54 AM, sparten said:

how to make my usb wifi work with mojave ?

The product id is 7601
The vendor id is 148F
can I find a help ?

now I used vietnam tool and install the usb wifi but cant launch the vendor or vietnam tool app to connect the wifi with mojave 
any suggestion or helping ?

001.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 2.13.01 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, ghost8282 said:

Ok, so ladies and gentlement, my daily updates about the RT2870 device and bug sur (I will name it bug on purpose :D).

Goal: have a working device with prefpane with all the files installed in the non /System folder.

Unluckily the goal is not reached, no luck in patching the wifi prefpane..but..I found a quite good way to have all working.

The following applies to current master version of opencore and it's working with bug sur beta 9.

I have iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS data.

We would want a sealed system, we don't want to delete snapshots, we would want SIP enabled and authenticated-root enabled: however this is not possible at the moment, because the utility needs some files copied to the /System directory.

What we will achieve by the following is a sealed system with SIP and authenticated-root enabled with a working device with a not working prefpane and a system not booting from the snapshot, but without breaking the seal; so, we can use the sealed system everyday or a system not booting from the snapshot, and in this last case, we will be able to switch to the sealed system in ?less than 5 minutes? instead of reinstalling MacOS to seal the system again.

As I wrote in the above post:

1- mount opencore EFI partition, copy RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext in the EFI/OC/Kexts folder, modify config.plist to inject the kext on boot

2- copy D-LinkUtility to applications folder (not the pref pane, not the kext, only the utility)

3- go to ~/Library/Preferences (this is ok, since it's a folder under the control of the user); you need to create 2 files:

a) ActiveProfileSetting.plist

b) AdvancedProfileSetting.plist

4- Go to System preferences, users and groups and add applications/D-LinkUtility/MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility to automatically startup the utility

5- Verify that in the opencore config.plist SecureBootModel is set to "Disabled"

If you boot your system you will see that it will boot from the snapshot, SIP and authenticated-root can be enabled and the wifi will work, but not the prefpane.

If you want the prefpane:

6- Verify that in the opencore config.plist SecureBootModel is set to "Default" (by changing this the os will not boot from the snapshot!)

7- boot into recovery and disable SIP (csrutil disable) and reboot

8- mount / in read and write (sudo mount -uw /)

9- terminal: copy D-LinkWirelessUtility.prefPane in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/

10- terminal: copy RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/

11- Assign proper permissions to D-LinkWirelessUtility.prefPane and RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext (sudo chmod -R 755 and sudo chown -R root:wheel)

12- End: working wifi and working wifi preference pane

Now, let's suppose there's an apple update, to update apple wants a sealed system and booting from snapshot (probably also SIP enabled?)

All you have to do is to delete D-LinkWirelessUtility.prefPane and RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext (not sure if it's a must, anyway delete them since we don't want a not bootable os), mount opencore efi and set back SecureBootModel to "Disabled"; if SIP must be enable for the os update boot into recovery, enable SIP and reboot; since you are now booting from a snapshot you will be able to update the os through the preference pane, you will have a working wifi, but without the pref pane; if you want to have the pref pane back just change SecureBootModel to Default.

Booting back from / (no snapshot, SecureBootModel=Default) and you will have again the working wifi prefpane (obviously after an os update you will have to copy again D-LinkWirelessUtility.prefPane and RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext)

I am trying to install in big sur can you please attach D-LinkUtility and D-LinkPrefrancese.pan

Edited by eng_redaesm

On 11/15/2020 at 1:35 AM, chris1111 said:

Not possible because its work only with a snapshot

read some above post

What about MT7601 on Big Sur? Will OC kext injection work for RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext ? Or with clover?

2 hours ago, RagK said:

Will OC kext injection work for RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext ?

Yes, the injection works, read some posts above.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, eng_redaesm said:

can you please attach D-LinkUtility and D-LinkPrefrancese.pan

Please follow these steps to get files from the original package:
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/299948-usb-wifi-updated-ralinkmediatek-rt2870-rt2770-rt3x7x-rt537x-rt5572/?do=findComment&comment=2736720

Take into account that now SecureBootModel Default won't allow you anymore to boot from the root disk: the message you quoted is no more valid.

Edited by ghost8282
  • Like 1

Just now, RagK said:

I tried but it did not work. Is it due to the fact that my wifi has WPA2?

Why not Buying a compatible adapter 

This is the Known Working and testing adapter 

Spoiler

#### Known Working and testing adapter 
- Archer T2U NANO
- Archer T3U
- Archer T3U Plus
- Archer T2U MINI V3
- Archer T2U Plus
- ArcherT4U V3
- Archer T9UH V2
- ASUS USB AC68
- ASUS USB-N13
- COMFAST CF-811AC
- EDIMAX EW-7722UTn V2
- EDIMAX_EW-7822ULC
- EDIMAX EW-7612Uan V2
- EDIMAX N300
- EDIMAX EW-7811Un (N150)
- EDUP EP-AC1689
- Linksys WUSB6300
- Linksys WUSB6400M
- Netgear A7000
- Sitecom WLA7100
- TL-WN823Nv3
- TL-WN823Nv2
- TL-WN725Nv3
- TL-WN723Nv3
- TL-WN722Nv3
- TL-WN821Nv6
- TL-WN822Nv5
- TRENDnet N150 Micro
- TRENDnet TEW-908UB

Follow this page

https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

Check that the kext is loaded, check that the utility runs, check network in system preference pane.

Kext is loaded,2072693053_ScreenShot2020-11-20at7_17_09PM.png.3e55fdaca51b43915aff85b4dfbbb964.png

And the system preference pane shows this 1808201026_ScreenShot2020-11-20at7_28_33PM.png.49037bd64b7148b79261e5188dc2636d.png

Also the utility works as when I unplug wifi dongle, the utility closes automatically.

• 7 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, ghost8282 said:

D-LinkUtility/MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility

Can you please share MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility that works on Big Sur, the one I have shows 'need to be updated' error, tried finding it online but no luck.

4 hours ago, MNSiw said:

Can you please share MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility that works on Big Sur

I'm using this in big sur 11.4 20F71, see attached D-LinkUtility.zip: there's only the DLinkUtility, not the prefpane as it wont work due to big sur extra security.

Just extract D-LinkUtility.zip into your app folder.

And of course you need the kext for your wifi chip, since I'm running a vm hackintosh I'm injecting the kext with the opencore bootloader.

You will need to manually edit the plist files as described above to connect to the ssid, you will have no control from the app (the "wireless preference" menu is not working), you can't scan for networks, so you need to know the ssid data and manually input them in the plist.

I'm attaching also MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility-patch-icon-text-big-sur.zip

If you use the original D-LinkUtility you will find that the icons in the top bar are {censored}, the % is not readable at all.

So I just replaced MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility ("patched")  into D-LinkUtility to have readable icons both in dark and light themes.

D-LinkUtility.zip MiniTaskUSB-DLinkUtility-patch-icon-text-big-sur.zip

Edited by ghost8282

7 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

I'm using this in big sur 11.4 20F71, see attached D-LinkUtility.zip: there's only the DLinkUtility, not the prefpane as it wont work due to big sur extra security.

Thank you so much Ghost8282 for such a detailed response, so nice of you 🙂

I'm using TP-Link USB adaptor for WiFi, using RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext + DWA-140WirelessUtility.prefPane, first I tried injecting the kext through OpenCore but preference pane was crashing with that, so moved it to S/L/E, no more crash and it started showing available networks.

But it does not connect automatically on boot, previously I was using MiniTaskUSB-DWA140.app for this purpose, but this version isn't compatible with Big Sur, now going to try the one you shared.

6 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

For RT2870USBWirelessDriver?

That would be a dream :D

I have a DREAM 😂

Yes :guitar: The program will integrate the OC install or LE Install :D

246564286_Capturedecranle2021-06-29a08_48_53.png.19a4a2cfcd93859acdcad5dd93abc244.png

238239332_Capturedecranle2021-06-29a08_44_41.png.4855889086562d7145596a5487836f77.png 524168850_Capturedecranle2021-06-29a08_46_32.png.4013b5849bbcb4b35d47987feca5eda7.png

23 minutes ago, ghost8282 said:

Thanks Chris to have packaged all the things: still we don't have the scan network nor the prefpane, am I right?I think there's nothing to do with them, I tried patching the binaries but had no luck.

Thanks to you :moil:

the panel not working anymore 

I add a usefull utility  

available at the end of the github page

Screen Shot .png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ghost8282 said:

Sorry Chris, maybe I'm dumb or just worked too much today...but I cannot find the "Connect D-LinkUtility": is it inside D-LinkUtility-Package.zip ?

:blowup:

NEVERMIND, MY EYES WORK NOW!! FOUND :D

I organise the page with a smal video for Connect Wifi 🍷

• Like 1