can we get back the apple logo on boot?

JahStories

769 posts in this topic

I tried several GFX cards, Apple ATI and Apple nVidia, also GOP and vBios as I allready stated, no difference.

I tested with the Apple HD4870, Apple HD5770, Apple HD5870, Sapphire HD7950 Mac Edition, Apple 8800GT, Apple GT120, EVGA GTX285 Mac Edition and EVGA GTX680 Mac Edition.

I also tested the Intel HD4000/HD4600/HD5200, Sapphire HD7950 with GOP UEFI and a ASUS GTX670 with vBios.

I only use Clover, Chameleon is not a good idea with Yosemite.

Why would I use a SMBios not appropriate to my setup?

I am using 3 test systems

1) ASUS Maximus V Gene + i7-3770 using iMac 13,2

2) ASUS Maximus VI Gene + i7-4770k using iMac 14,2

3) ASUS Maximus VII Gene + i7-4790k using iMac 14,2

• Like 1

Guys, seriously? Is it that hard to read? So, once more...

@fusion71au You get the boot logo with Chameleon in legacy mode? Nice! Could be because Chameleon renders it as I said a few times already. Legacy vs UEFI boot is important because in legacy mode Apple's loader doesn't render anything (because it isn't even loaded) while all is done by the loader of your choice (Chameleon in this example). In UEFI mode these render nothing and Apple's loader does the job. Furthermore it's nice how you first say you got the Apple logo to show up for the whole boot process and then tell us that you had -v in which makes that impossible. It most likely shows the light boot screen because it doesn't bother to check which to display in text-only mode.

Dude, Clover is my main bootloader and my legacy BIOS machines boot via this pathway

BIOS>MBR>PBR>boot>CLOVERX64.efi>OSLoader - see Clover wiki

On one of my machines, I have installed Clover's boot1f32alt so that it can chainload chameleon when I want to (by pressing <1> in the 2 second wait phase)All of the tests I have done for this thread are using Clover's legacy pathway which provides a full EFI environment through CloverEFI so the screenshot I have provided is not chameleon's rendered background but boot.efi's.

We are all here to try to help figure out the puzzle (do I detect sarcasm or an attempt at condescension in your reply?).  You misquoted my comment "and the progress bar goes the entire way to completion" and substituted your own interpretation as  "the whole boot process".  Also if you look at Mirone's mac mini 2009 boot video, the first phase is a black/blank screen so that doesn't have an Apple logo throughout the entire boot process either.

See I knew you didn't really have the 'boot logo'. I have tried with a GOP GFX card, a real Apple GFX card and a VBIOS GFX card, all same results. I tried DVI/HDMI/VGA and even DP connectors. I tried with/without inject EDID etc. I allways get native display resolution. Still no boot logo.

I still do not understand however why my 2nd stage is so different from everyone else. I do in fact get that same screen everyone is talking about with the loading bar and apple logo but is barley visible for a second, it does not show progress from start to finish.

Mirone's post for the mac mini 2009 shows a blank screen for about 10 seconds before the white screen appears with the grey Apple logo and the grey loader.  So...

when I use -v

• the blank screen phase of the mac mini is equivalent to my verbose phase (without the text scrolling of course)
  • the white screen phase with the grey Apple logo and grey loader/progress bar going to completion is exactly what I get on my machines

boot.efi checks the board-id and sets var "BlackMode" to 1 when it finds one of these:

Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F = MacBookPro10,1
Mac-AFD8A9D944EA4843 = MacBookPro10,2
Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF = MacBookAir6,1
Mac-7DF21CB3ED6977E5 = MacBookAir6,2
Mac-031B6874CF7F642A = iMac14,1
Mac-77EB7D7DAF985301 = iMac14,3
Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 = iMac14,2
Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC = MacBookPro11,1
Mac-3CBD00234E554E41 = MacBookPro11,2
Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663 = MacBookPro11,3
Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 = MacPro6,1

There's also this:

bootArgs->flags |= kBootArgsFlagBlack (EFI var 'BlackMode')

But I have MacbookAir5,2 for my SMBios, and still get black background and white progress bar. It may means something else affect the boot screen?

@Pike what is kbootargsflagblack, does that mean we can change the screen color with a boot flag?

I don't know if this is useful for you guys at all, but I'm running clover on a real 2011 mbp. Booting it via clover I have the full boot sequence with the white boot screen + gray apple logo.

I tried using the macbookpro10,1 board id but I still get the white screen.

Edit: ooh! Here's something really interesting. Yosemite got confused about me using the mbp10,1 board id and refused to boot all the way. So of course, I rebooted and held down the option key so I could boot without clover and fix what I had just changed. I was greeted by a black background at the partition chooser screen, and Yosemite then booted with the black screen and white logo despite the fact that it knew I was on a mbp8,1. Sorry, I know this isn't exactly relevant, I was actually hoping I would be able to replicate the issue you guys are having (which I am also having on my X202E) on a real Mac running Clover. Anyway here's some photos of it, as well as a DarwinDumper from right after it happened in case it's useful.

post-969691-0-41848600-1404475363_thumb.jpg

post-969691-0-54191300-1404475366_thumb.jpg

DarwinDumper_2.9.4_Apple_X64_Yos_jamiethemorris.zip

@Pike what is kbootargsflagblack, does that mean we can change the screen color with a boot flag?

I don't know if this is useful for you guys at all, but I'm running clover on a real 2011 mbp. Booting it via clover I have the full boot sequence with the white boot screen + gray apple logo.

I tried using the macbookpro10,1 board id but I still get the white screen.

Edit: ooh! Here's something really interesting. Yosemite got confused about me using the mbp10,1 board id and refused to boot all the way. So of course, I rebooted and held down the option key so I could boot without clover and fix what I had just changed. I was greeted by a black background at the partition chooser screen, and Yosemite then booted with the black screen and white logo despite the fact that it knew I was on a mbp8,1.

kBootArgsFlagBlack is a kernel flag used to set the BlackMode variable. Wipe vars and gone is BlackMode on the next reboot. You may want to dump your variables and attach them here. Thanks.

kBootArgsFlagBlack is a kernel flag used to set the BlackMode variable. Wipe vars and gone is BlackMode on the next reboot. You may want to dump your variables and attach them here. Thanks.

Looks like you started responding just before I edited my post, How do I dump the variables? Will the darwin dump suffice?

I've got black boot screen on my MM 2012, just by replacing in boot.efi MP 6.1 board id on my. BTW i don't have kBootArgsFlagBlack var

how do you edit boot.efi? I'm looking at it with Hex Fiend but I don't see anything like Board ID's that I could change.

hello

nah that is not a solution ... i have my board in original file .. and no logo

macbookpro10,1

Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F

good hack

Yeah, it wasn't supposed to be a solution, it's just that I happened to stumble across this on accident trying to find a solution for this. I'm hoping that at the very least my darwindumper will help in some way though.

Sorry for the confusion.

@VanillaCracker are you sure it's CoreServices because I can't find the board id section in that one, only the i386 one. I edited the i386 one but it didn't make a difference. Maybe I need to reboot a few more times.

Looks like you started responding just before I edited my post, How do I dump the variables? Will the darwin dump suffice?

Sorry that I missed your edit. Yes. I think that's enough. Give it a go. Oops it is already there. Ok. Thanks! Back to the BBQ now ;)

@VanillaCracker are you sure it's CoreServices because I can't find the board id section in that one, only the i386 one. I edited the i386 one but it didn't make a difference. Maybe I need to reboot a few more times.

Yep. i386 it's a path for old firmwares

post-726219-0-79123300-1404499608_thumb.png

I've got black boot screen on my MM 2012, just by replacing in boot.efi MP 6.1 board id on my. BTW i don't have kBootArgsFlagBlack var

You see. Just what I said a few posts back: boot.efi checks the board-id, and now you have what you want. by the way. The kernel flag kBootArgsFlagBlack represents a value of 4 and is used to OR the flags value, and to check if BlackMode is active.

Hey guys

So, I've got news.

I got the boot logo on Mavericks (with the spinning wheel and everything). And it looks...different. Good different. I mean, before, when I used Chameleon (yes, I know the image that Chameleon displays on boot is a fake, I know that) the logo didn't look like it was carved. It looked like it was applied. Now it does. So yay for that!

So what I did is make a bootable stick of Clover, for LEGACY, and the stick formatted for MBR. Seems to make a difference. Then I injected EDID value and patched VBIOS. That's all. I didn't need to inject anything else.

On Yosemite, still nothing. Same issue. No logo, which is weird, since I'm using exactly the same bootloader with exactly the same settings.

I'll try EFI boot with the same inject and patch. See what happens.

UPDATE:

So...I came to the conclusion that, to see the logo in Mavericks, all you need to do is to have a MBR boot. That's all. No need for EDID, no need for patching VBIOS. Nothing. Just to have a legacy type of boot. Doesn't work in UEFI mode (or at least not by default).

Yosemite seems to be the more stubborn brother. It doesn't work under the same circumstances.