Apple? NO! "Pear OS" 6

rashan

24 posts in this topic

Yeah i see ... it's a Linux distro

Yeah and it's a nice distro. I like it how they've recreated the OSX gui and added some of their own improvements. Some of it is worse, but the overall feel is nice. This is for people who can't or don't want to actually install OSX, but like the look and want a Linux environment.

i don't like.
copy is boring  :yes:

This is for people who can't or don't want to actually install OSX, but like the look and want a Linux environment. :yes:

Hello

A most elegant Linux Distro.

I'll try use it. I hope all Ubuntu app work on it.

Do share your finds if you try it :)

ElementaryOS is also a OS X inspired, but not as blatantly copying distro (based on Ubuntu). Actually looks better and feels much faster and sleeker than Ubuntu itself. Might also be worth a look.

Oh that's as blatant as it gets with that wallpaper. Might as well go all the way if you're going to do it at all. There's nothing shameful in copying as long as you do it good and don't take the credit. Imagine if the creator of the wheel patented it. And everyone would have to pay him a license fee for using wheels. Lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am an active member of the pear os community. i switched to pear os after successfully trying os x 10.7.5 on my thinkpad T400, but did not like the poor kext support for my gm45 chipset and having to flash my bios to get an internal wifi card to work. here is my pear os 8 setup. imitation is flattery

umplayer with mac skin

Screenshot+from+2014-01-20+02%253A16%253

nightingale with itunes skin

Screenshot+from+2014-01-20+02%253A19%253

pear os's answer to os x's spotlight feature

Screenshot+from+2014-01-20+02%253A20%253

desktop workspace switcher

Screenshot+from+2014-01-20+02%253A35%253

mission control-esque feature

Screenshot+from+2014-01-20+02%253A14%253

is there enough similarity to make a mac os x advocate take a second look? :)

• Like 1

What luck. exactly the next day after i find this post and give expo of my installation, this happens.

Pear OS and Pear Cloud are no longer available for download. 

Its future is now in hands of a company who wants to remain anonymous for the moment. The concept has pleased them it and now wants to continue and improve the system for their own products. I can not give a name but it is a very large company well known ... 

I want to thank all users, moderators and other developers who have made Pear OS it is today, that without this adventure would not have been possible. 

I'm going in another direction. 

Another big thank you to all and I hope to return to the scene of open source very quickly. 

Cordially. 

David

Betting that pear os wont be free now.

• 2 weeks later...

Pear OS and Pear Cloud are no longer available for download. 

Its future is now in hands of a company who wants to remain anonymous for the moment. The concept has pleased them it and now wants to continue and improve the system for their own products. I can not give a name but it is a very large company well known ... 

I want to thank all users, moderators and other developers who have made Pear OS it is today, that without this adventure would not have been possible. 

I'm going in another direction. 

Another big thank you to all and I hope to return to the scene of open source very quickly. 

It seems like the buyer of PearOS isn't a big company - there are rumors it would a whole country:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/04/north-korea-red-star-os-x/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Any low level linux user can modify any distro to be Mac OSX similar, much better than this low life attempt of PearOS.. Is it that hard to port a GTK theme and apply some icons and fancy animations with compiz? And they even dare calling it an OS hahahahh