10.4.8 Intel SSE2 Update excluded Frameworks list

quixos

89 posts in this topic

thanks for the feedback! :P

today is only half as busy as yesterday. i'll try to do something.

don't worry, i'm not a perfectionist, so this will eventually be "done enough".

i know solutions will be found for problems none of us are aware of at this time.

but, i certainly want a decent base for 10.4.8 on SSE2.

so for those of you who are trying this framework fix, continue testing, even the

most unlikely and useless programs. thanks. :)

will be back tonite with updates on the situation.

now after installating the JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 update can one replace the frameworks listed here prior to restarting and be in good shape afterwards? or does one have to install, restart, pray that we get to the desktop and if successful go through the rigors with Pacifist and extracting the frameworks from the 10.4.7 update? or do we just outright install through Pacifist without the frameworks listed here?

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

can anyone just confirm the most preferred way to perform this update. i have JaS's SSE2 update waiting on this and my GF won't be to happy should this update goof things good and cause me to spend another day polishing my Laptop's OS X half.

thanks.

- Robert (pMr)dEATHiNjUNE

can anyone just confirm the most preferred way to perform this update. i have JaS's SSE2 update waiting on this and my GF won't be to happy should this update goof things good and cause me to spend another day polishing my Laptop's OS X half.

thanks.

Now that is a good question. What I did was make backup folders of extensions, frameworks, and private frameworks. Then I used pacifist. I used the following link to give me an idea of how to use pacifist

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=secupdate

Then I removed the Extensions.kextcache Extensions.mkext, used diskutility to repair permissions and rebooted, brought it back into single user mode, ran the fsck, and mount, and then finally ran update_prebinding -root / -force -debug.

Then rebooted, and everthing was ok.

Not sure if that is the preferred method, but probably the easier, as you do not have to copy back all the relavant frameworks, and apps.

hope that helps

sorry muitommy, i've been there and done that. ;)

on an upbeat note, i've tried out a preliminary SSE2 10.4.8 update package and it's looking good! :compress:

downbeat. of course, iMovie HD crashes on import.

upbeat! but i had it working before!

would someone who has been swapping frameworks successfully please test importing with iMovie HD? thanks.

sorry muitommy, i've been there and done that. :gathering:

on an upbeat note, i've tried out a preliminary SSE2 10.4.8 update package and it's looking good! :)

downbeat. of course, iMovie HD crashes on import.

upbeat! but i had it working before!

would someone who has been swapping frameworks successfully please test importing with iMovie HD? thanks.

I just tried to import an mpeg file on my pc and that worked. I do have the latest quicktime and itunes running though. Not sure if that helps.

Now that is a good question. What I did was make backup folders of extensions, frameworks, and private frameworks. Then I used pacifist. I used the following link to give me an idea of how to use pacifist

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=secupdate

Then I removed the Extensions.kextcache Extensions.mkext, used diskutility to repair permissions and rebooted, brought it back into single user mode, ran the fsck, and mount, and then finally ran update_prebinding -root / -force -debug.

Then rebooted, and everthing was ok.

Not sure if that is the preferred method, but probably the easier, as you do not have to copy back all the relavant frameworks, and apps.

hope that helps

thanks department27 :). i figured there were more steps in this that i wasn't aware of.. after looking at that screenshot from quixos other thread why wouldn't one select the top level option and then unselect the specified frameworks beneath such that need to be excluded? or can you do that and go about your install?

thanks again,

Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

thanks department27 :hysterical:. i figured there were more steps in this that i wasn't aware of.. after looking at that screenshot from quixos other thread why wouldn't one select the top level option and then unselect the specified frameworks beneath such that need to be excluded? or can you do that and go about your install?

thanks again,

Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

I have a funny feeling that if you choose the top level that may cause the bit you do not want to install to install. But I could be totally wrong. The important bit is to right click on a selected app and then do the install to default. When I fist did it on my laptop, I just did install and it installed everything even the ones that were not selected. Hope that helps

I have a funny feeling that if you choose the top level that may cause the bit you do not want to install to install. But I could be totally wrong. The important bit is to right click on a selected app and then do the install to default. When I fist did it on my laptop, I just did install and it installed everything even the ones that were not selected. Hope that helps

i'm fully aware of installing to the default location. interesting that the remaining steps were needed to get the system up and going. must be that Pacifist only gets on so far along in the installation hence the need to fsck and so on. i might try this in a VMware install first just to see how things go before processing the native installation through it.. thanks for the tips!

...why wouldn't one select the top level option and then unselect the specified frameworks beneath such that need to be excluded...

There were reports a ways back that a bug in Pacifist 2.0 caused items that were unselected in this way to be installed anyway. That bug may have been fixed since, but I think people here tend to play it safe and do it the "slow" way just in case this bug is still present.

i'm fully aware of installing to the default location. interesting that the remaining steps were needed to get the system up and going. must be that Pacifist only gets on so far along in the installation hence the need to fsck and so on. i might try this in a VMware install first just to see how things go before processing the native installation through it.. thanks for the tips!

The reason for the fsck is that after you run hte reboot, it won't, and you end up doing a hard reboot.

QUite annoying with those problems, i can wait and just replacing the relevants framework with pacifist.

Well, i get lost my ilife06 recently, and just finding ways to get it, and have a test on it.

ADD, why Graphkit.framework cannot be found in 10.4.7 combo update, it is not included?

ok so i ran through the instructions given to me via department27 and of the outcome i cannot begin to describe the laugter produced when just simply going to "About this Mac" causes me to be logged out of the OS... ok it wasn't laughter rather :D:) :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2:. yes i made Sam Kinison proud tonight and in closing may i say bless you Acronis for TrueImage :D!

off topic --> everyone needs to go read this: McDonalds McTrojan MP3 Player :blink:.

ok so i ran through the instructions given to me via department27 and of the outcome i cannot begin to describe the laugter produced when just simply going to "About this Mac" causes me to be logged out of the OS... ok it wasn't laughter rather :2cents: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2:. yes i made Sam Kinison proud tonight and in closing may i say bless you Acronis for TrueImage :D!

off topic --> everyone needs to go read this: McDonalds McTrojan MP3 Player :blink:.

Hi Sorry to here you had a problem. I just noticed that in your sig you have an AMD. I believe Jas is working on an AMD version of the update. Not sure how far he has got, as I'm in an intel. Being on AMD could be why you had the problems.

Hi Sorry to here you had a problem. I just noticed that in your sig you have an AMD. I believe Jas is working on an AMD version of the update. Not sure how far he has got, as I'm in an intel. Being on AMD could be why you had the problems.

i suspected as much but figured it would be worth a try. nothing like trial and error :).

i suspected as much but figured it would be worth a try. nothing like trial and error :D.

Hi Saw this on anotehr thread. It was posted by JaS:

ok so as an update to my progress,I have

Working

Intel SSE2 and SSE3 combo updates for 10.4.8

AMD SSE3 Combo update for 10.4.8

Testing

AMD SSE2 combo update (things are looking good)

I'll post back with more progress.

Check out htis thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry210499

Hi Saw this on anotehr thread. It was posted by JaS:

ok so as an update to my progress,I have

Working

Intel SSE2 and SSE3 combo updates for 10.4.8

AMD SSE3 Combo update for 10.4.8

Testing

AMD SSE2 combo update (things are looking good)

I'll post back with more progress.

Check out htis thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry210499

thanks for pointing this thread out to me --> i really appreciate it.