[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surface osx)

I fixed my windows8.1 activation problem!

Thank you so much !!

My another problem "lost recovery partition"(my recovery image USB is broken...),

I did contact M$, they say "You need to change surface hardware"

Oh,are they serius ?

So I give up this problem.

Thanks.

@fuyuwasugu

happy for you...

P.s. 

why should you need a recovery of win 8

when you can make a usb with win 8.1 

@Sebastian

I'm using a MacBookAir 5,2 smbios with the same turbo frequency but slower frequency when idle.

Surfing the web around 5h (without flash)

Gaming (native) [f1 2012, black ops] at 1280x720 2h more or less

these result are for the SurfacePro1

@fuyuwasugu

happy for you...

P.s. 

why should you need a recovery of win 8

when you can make a usb with win 8.1 

@Sebastian

I'm using a MacBookAir 5,2 smbios with the same turbo frequency but slower frequency when idle.

Surfing the web around 5h (without flash)

Gaming (native) [f1 2012, black ops] at 1280x720 2h more or less

these result are for the SurfacePro1

Thx, that sounds like a decent performance. What's about unintended touches? My idea is, because I have to travel a lot and usually only have my Macbook Pro with me, that I can use it to have a high-performance tablet with OSX on the go.

IT IS a high performance Osx tablet, i've not met any unintended touch :) the detachable cover helps when you need mouse or keyboard, for a proper "desktop" setup.

Here the Geekbench, 

Single-Core Score 2146 

Multi-Core Score 4270

Geekbench 3.1.2 Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

nearly the same result i had previously with win8.1.

IT IS a high performance Osx tablet, i've not met any unintended touch :) the detachable cover helps when you need mouse or keyboard, for a proper "desktop" setup.

Here the Geekbench, 

Single-Core Score 2146 

Multi-Core Score 4270

Geekbench 3.1.2 Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

nearly the same result i had previously with win8.1.

So, under osx you can use the stylus with your hands lying on the surface and a note or so? Do you have a special software keyboard?

(androsurface)

Android IA (modded with working wifi, camera and rotation)

(installing it seems a little bit "tedious", right know you can test it live, if someone figures out a way to install it, i'll be happy to update the guide)

this is the link to download it btw, use google translate, i had to register to get the link, only thing not working right now is bluetooth.

probably this is the version Litux was talking about.

Sebastian,

Once fixed, osx on the surface pro 2 will work like the first one (same touch driver),

main differences are

hd4400 instead of hd4000 (minor improvement)

Haswell processor (more battery life)

even surface pro 2 windows reviews says that there isn't so much different, it's almost the same.

but with the surface pro 2 you have the option for 8gig of ram and bigger ssd

Sebastian,

Once fixed, osx on the surface pro 2 will work like the first one (same touch driver),

main differences are

hd4400 instead of hd4000 (minor improvement)

Haswell processor (more battery life)

even surface pro 2 windows reviews says that there isn't so much different, it's almost the same.

but with the surface pro 2 you have the option for 8gig of ram and bigger ssd

Thx, for that clarification. What exactly needs to be fixed? 

The hardware is significant better then on the old one. For having OSX running the 4gb of the old one are sufficient, but if you want to use heavy duty software like Stata or R then 8gb are recommended. I also think that the second position of the kick-stand is a major improvement. 

the hardware isn't so significally better, every surface pro has 4gb of ram (ah ok you corrected that 2gb reference in your post).

and the kickstand doesn't worth the difference in money,

from amazon:

889$ surface pro 128gb

1099$ surface pro 2 128gb

the 8gig ram version btw is better since it got more memory, but don't expect it to transform your surface pro in an hollywood rendering workstation.

performance between 4 and 8 gig versions are similar,

but this is the price for the 8gig one 

$1,585.88 

when they'll bump processor's speed up, provide an extra usb port, slim it down and make it lighter, i'll be the first to admit the machine superiority.

in many reviews on youtube i've heard they said the only difference between the surface pro, and it's second version is the big number 2 in the box :D

Please, stop asking for Surface2 guides or files, they'll be added as soon as they will be "released", if you don't wanna wait try to install it by yourself, since there is a general guide on the main post ;)

@chinatownabc

you don't have to install chameleon, it isn't even referenced in the guide... :/

you have to install CLOVER to the efi partition!!

to do this tick efi installation and drivers under the installer

I was wondering where is the "guide"? I didnt see no guide i only saw a guide for how to install mavericks onto the USB. 

Right now the support I can provide for the surfacepro2 isn't more than what i've posted, 

the first surface pro instead is fully working, but you have to use a wifi usb card, and forget sleep.

so i think it's perfect for lightweight drawing and ios development.

​of course someone with a surfacepro2 may figure out how to fix timer issues, then i'll update the post with proper surface pro 2 installation steps

Is anyone willing to do a review on the Surface Pro 2 and OSX? Or just briefly comment on the pro and cons of buying an Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. Because I would like to go for a Surface Pro 2 and OSX.

I would suggest checking out this review http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/21/microsoft-surface-pro-2-review/

looks to me like there is a significant boost on the graphics performance.  About twice as powerful in 3dmark11.  In fact the sp2 seriously outperforms all other laptops that use the same processor, which is interesting.  

The sp2 also has better color accuracy on the screen and better battery life.  

Its my opinion that the sp2 is a better buy.

SP2 seems like it'll be the one I eventually get. Wifi isn't too big a deal for me, sleep really isn't either, more of a convenience thing. Do you think Sleep will ever work on either Surface Pro? If not, what do you think about Deep Sleep?

http://deepsleep.free.fr

Basically enables hibernation on certain Mac models. Not sure if it has ever been tested on Mavericks. 

I would suggest checking out this review http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/21/microsoft-surface-pro-2-review/

looks to me like there is a significant boost on the graphics performance.  About twice as powerful in 3dmark11.  In fact the sp2 seriously outperforms all other laptops that use the same processor, which is interesting.  

The sp2 also has better color accuracy on the screen and better battery life.  

Its my opinion that the sp2 is a better buy.

Thx for your reply. The intention of my question was a bit different. I wanted to have a bit a feedback on OSX running on the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. Because I'm thinking about buying one of these devices, probably the Surface Pro 2, just because I can have OSX running on it. As far as I understood it now, the support on the Surface Pro 2 is limited, so I may have to invest some time to get everything running. Even doing some development.

Thx for your reply. The intention of my question was a bit different. I wanted to have a bit a feedback on OSX running on the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. Because I'm thinking about buying one of these devices, probably the Surface Pro 2, just because I can have OSX running on it. As far as I understood it now, the support on the Surface Pro 2 is limited, so I may have to invest some time to get everything running. Even doing some development.

As per spec wise, both the surface pro and surface pro 2 will be sufficient devices. They specs are basically on par with Apple's Macbook Air 2012 / 2013 model. If you're mainly planning to get the Surface Pro 2 just to put Mac OS X on it, it's probably wiser to just get a MBA for the same price. You'll be getting Apple's excellent warranty program, you'll be able to update your OS (incremental patches) without worrying if you have to "hack" it again. Like you said, getting Mac OS X on SP2 requires a bit of tinker, but if you have the time and it's your thing, it can definitely be a fun project. It really depends on what your needs / usage are. 

(surface2osx)

Hello everybody !

Sorry for being dead, I had much work aside and late...

@JahStories: I've installed OSX Maverick on my Surface Pro 2 following the guides, including kexts, ACPI patches and config.plist:

The guide says: FakeSMC/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/ACPIBatteryManager/VoodooHDA

And I've found (Across SP1 files): ACPIBatteryManager/AppleHDADisabler/FakeSMC/genericusbxhci/VoodooHDA

First of all, I can't boot without "-x -f -v", I didn't check witch one allows me to boot. I can boot with "-v -x" but not "-v -f".

OTB:

- Type cover keyboard/trackpad are working

- Touching the screen makes the mouse go to the top left corner.

- No sound card detected

- Booting with clover usb key makes OSX mount it. Unplugging it to plug another FAT32 one and OSX refuses to mount it (Shown in diskutils)

- Spotlight seems to not be working. Nothing is found, but the files are present.

- Without activity, the SP2 is heating a lot more than on windows (On windows it seems not to heat much with normal internet activity)

--> I don't know if some of these issues are not caused by the "Safe mode", since I can't plug my other USB key, I can't replace kexts, HWSensors, touch drivers and HiDPI

--> I could achieve it by formatting my USB key as HFS.

On "-v -x" reboot:

- I tried to copy the kexts with finder, the system show me warnings about invalid kexts "The system extension ... wasn't properly installed and can't be used. Try to reinstall it or contact the vendor", and this with all the copied kexts + subkexts. I'll try to copy them with the recovery terminal.

Edited by Max13

(surface2osx)

Hi Max13,

thanks for reporting your issues,

if the clover pen drive mounts, you can use it to copy kexts

to install any kext use an utility like kextdrop.

this is how i can help,

touchscreen:

These are the drivers, pen is not supported right now

no sound:

may voodoohda be incompatible?

you can try to press F5 at clover boot loader screen it should dump the original tables to efi/acpi/original (then if you post them we could try to fix them)

heating problem:

i suggest you to try SSDTPRGEN (maybe it will enable speedstep, after placing the generated file to efi/acpi/patched)

boot non safely (without -x):

do you have graphic acceleration working? (translucent menubar)

if not you can try clover configurator and add the id platform ig 0166000A (that's the surface pro 1 working code)

P.s. 

spotlight don't work in safe mode ;)

hope this helps.

(surface2osx)

to install any kext use an utility like kextdrop.

Just done that, it helps ^^'
No more errors.

touchscreen:
These are the drivers, pen is not supported right now

Yup, I saw that there is these drivers, and I didn't install them but I was reporting the "behavior" and the system state just installed, without any kext and drivers.

I've installed the "Pen ignores proximity" driver: Seems to work, but OTB I have the know "Bad calibrated" stylus and I can't calibrate it (Calibrate bottom left corner is greyed, even when style selected). Too bad it's not supported...

no sound, may voodoohda be incompatible?
you can try to press F5 at clover boot loader screen it should dump the original tables to efi/acpi/original (then if you post them we could try to fix them)

Unfortunately, I don't know why, EFI can't be mount (maybe because Fat32 drivers aren't loaded), and even on another mac, F5 at blue clover boot screen and F5 at clover OSX boot screen doesn't add any file to my USB key at EFI/ACPI/original

heating problem:
i suggest you to try SSDTPRGEN (maybe it will enable speedstep, after placing the generated file to efi/acpi/patched)

Can you give me a link (If it's not the first google result pointing github, and the parameters name for SP2 please? (I don't know the ACPI name, max turbo freq, TDP??), thank you.

boot non safely (without -x):
do you have graphic acceleration working? (translucent menubar)
if not you can try clover configurator and add the id platform ig 0166000A (that's the surface pro 1 working code)

I can't boot non-safely, panic - reboot. If I could, should I put it in Options > Graphic injector > FakeID: "ig 0166000A" ?

BTW, I add another issue concerning the resolution. I've added switchresx > Unknown monitor > Additional resolutions > 2732 x 1536. Default "bandwidth" is 292.20 MHz (Freq: 78.929 kHz vertical, 49.955 Hz horizontal) which adds 960x540 HiDPI and not 1366x768.

SwitchResX flag it as "Refused by the system", any idea?

Thanks for your help.