[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surface2osx)

Hello all,

Managed to get Mavericks working virtualized via VMWare Player on my SP2 -- no fuss really. 

Works great (except no QE/CI).

A great alternative for folks who don't want to mess about with their SP2!  ^_^

By the way, don't waste your time with VirtualBox. I spent a day+ trying to get both ML and Mavericks to setup, it just wouldn't work/boot...

Hey thanks, I was just looking up how to do this, I'd rather do this. All I need Is some basic mac apps for work.

@dinosaurcam

the easiest way, is to make 2 partitions, one Hfs+ and one Fat32.

@chinatownabc

(surfaceosx)

on clover boot screen go to options - graphics and change the injected GFX code from 0x0000000 to 0x1660009 to boot without safe

@akzidenz

(surface2osx)

Thanks for the infos,

but running osx on a vm is not a "machine specific" task, since the same image you are running can run in any other windows pc and viceversa.

and last but not least there isn't and probably never will, any graphic driver so you can't run most, just not to say "all", apps.

So if you want to make use of osx on the surface pro, just delete vmware or virtual box, and probably then you'll even remove windows 

@Dahnark

(surface2osx)

you have to boot the same way you booted the installer but you have to select the partition where you installed osx

then you'll have to install clover to the local drive.

remember that there isn't full support for the surface 2, you'll have to fix qe/ci, sound and probably many other issues

if you haven't, take a look at the whole thread, Thanks

You have turn off secure Boot ? You can do this by starting up with Volume Up.

Now yes and it works thanks. But I have a new problem. After appear the screen with Apple logo, not appear the chance to install, it reboot and enter on Windows 8.1

Anyone have all files used for surface pro 2? It was deleted from the guide.

@Dahnark

specific file package as been posted and removed by SonicRat, by now, no files for the Surface 2

BTW From the guide:

Fix Bootloader: 

Boot back to osx using your osxpeninstaller you may need to boot safely

after the installation of clover (using efi and efi drivers options)

open the terminal

type:

• diskutil list

verify which is the system partition, the one where you installed osx. (stand to the number of the disk ex. disk0s2, ** stands to partition n° ex. disk0s2)

then type:

• fdisk -e /dev/rdisk*​​​
  • write
  • y
  • exit
  • reboot

Done.

:thumbsup_anim:

So I tried to start form the beginning and try this again. I made my usb installer I formatted part of the disk in windows to have a dual boot. I was able to install Mavericks to the partition. I am not able to boot into that OS though. I tried --v-x-f, and -v with graphics code, I can't get into installed mavericks. I was able to get into the installer by -v-x-f but doesn't get me into Mavericks. I also did copy over the kexts 

• FakeSMC.kext
  • AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • "DID NOT INSTALL THIS, DIDN'T HAVE'      VoodooHDA.kext

from installer terminal

What should i try now?

@Dahnark

specific file package as been posted and removed by SonicRat, by now, no files for the Surface 2

BTW From the guide:

Fix Bootloader: 

Boot back to osx using your osxpeninstaller you may need to boot safely

after the installation of clover (using efi and efi drivers options)

open the terminal

type:

• diskutil list

verify which is the system partition, the one where you installed osx. (stand to the number of the disk ex. disk0s2, ** stands to partition n° ex. disk0s2)

then type:

• fdisk -e /dev/rdisk*​​​
  • write
  • y
  • exit
  • reboot

Done.

:thumbsup_anim:

@JahStories  I've got up to this point, but I'm getting "Could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory.  The signature for this MBR is invalid." 

Where did I go wrong? :s

PS.  btw, thanks so much for the guide.  Been waiting long time for this.

@bangity

after a successful osx installation try:

(surfaceosx)

on clover boot screen go to options - graphics and change the injected GFX code from 0x0000000 to 0x1660009 to boot without safe

(IF IT DOESN'T WORK, TRY CONNECTING AN EXTERNAL MONITOR BEFORE BOOTING THE SURFACE)

THEN

you'll have to install clover, after the boot process, to the local drive and copy the efi folder provided on the zipped archive of the "This Included Surfacepro kext and utilities pack" from the main post,

inside the efi partition.

@xgmr

That's probably related to the fact that windows is using your efi partition, probably as restore, to solve format the whole drive into one hfs+ partition and one fat32, and install osx and then windows.

Probably there is a workaround, i just don't know it and so i cannot help...

Good luck

@bangity

after a successful osx installation try:

(surfaceosx)

on clover boot screen go to options - graphics and change the injected GFX code from 0x0000000 to 0x1660009 to boot without safe

(IF IT DOESN'T WORK, TRY CONNECTING AN EXTERNAL MONITOR BEFORE BOOTING THE SURFACE)

THEN

you'll have to install clover, after the boot process, to the local drive and copy the efi folder provided on the zipped archive of the "This Included Surfacepro kext and utilities pack" from the main post,

inside the efi partition.

@xgmr

That's probably related to the fact that windows is using your efi partition, probably as restore, to solve format the whole drive into one hfs+ partition and one fat32, and install osx and then windows.

Probably there is a workaround, i just don't know it and so i cannot help...

Good luck

@Jah, when I try -v -x -f option, it says Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport??

So when I try to install again and this time with the -x before booting into installer. It says panic (cpu0) something. This is really frustrating.

Found the error ABOVE, put Kexts in both 10.9 and 10.8 (maybe Other) as well. Installer will then load. I did not use the -x. What does it do?

Still not working, Installed again, boot using Safe boot but still shows Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport??

===============================================================

I am sorry!!!! It worked! The problem was with the copying kext files. I never used mac cp -R before. I will update when it gets setup.

Hi, I am trying to use switchResx like you suggested. However, when I add the custom resolution, it says "Not Installed"

When I try to select other resolutions, the screen just flashes and can't restore?

and I can't install Clover? It failed when installing to Boot drive OSX

(surfaceosx)

@JahStories

I managed to get it working, rather a strange experience to be honest.  This is what I did:

1. Boot to OS X and using OSX Pendrive to mount EFI.  Then to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

2. In EFI partition containing Clover bootloader, remove EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and copy EFI/Clover/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Boot/ and rename it to BOOTX64.efi

3. Restart.

4. Choose Microsoft EFI Boot Menu.

Now comes the strange part, it booted windows and said that it encountered a problem and restarted by itself.  Then it was stuck at stuck at low battery logo. 

Then I hold Volume up + Power for 10 seconds, the Surface logo came back up and Clover booted.  Now, both OS run smoothly and booting up from clover.

I don't what happened, but glad everything works now.

(surfaceosx)

@JahStories

I managed to get it working, rather a strange experience to be honest.  This is what I did:

1. Boot to OS X and using OSX Pendrive to mount EFI.  Then to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

2. In EFI partition containing Clover bootloader, remove EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and copy EFI/Clover/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Boot/ and rename it to BOOTX64.efi

3. Restart.

4. Choose Microsoft EFI Boot Menu.

Now comes the strange part, it booted windows and said that it encountered a problem and restarted by itself.  Then it was stuck at stuck at low battery logo. 

Then I hold Volume up + Power for 10 seconds, the Surface logo came back up and Clover booted.  Now, both OS run smoothly and booting up from clover.

I don't what happened, but glad everything works now.

I did something similar for it to work but I have about 6 boot entries with only 2 working properly. However, I don't have Sound?

@Jah, I can't add the resolution you are using even though it's Surface Pro 1. I can only get HiDPI of 720p max and it is kind of large. Adding custom scaled resolution always say "Not Installed" when I restart and saved.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

@Jah, when I try -v -x -f option, it says Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport??

So when I try to install again and this time with the -x before booting into installer. It says panic (cpu0) something. This is really frustrating.

Found the error ABOVE, put Kexts in both 10.9 and 10.8 (maybe Other) as well. Installer will then load. I did not use the -x. What does it do?

Still not working, Installed again, boot using Safe boot but still shows Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport??

I am sorry!!!! It worked! The problem was with the copying kext files. I never used mac cp -R before. I will update when it gets setup.

so how did you get past the Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport??? 

Also did using the way JahStories mentioned work? By change the injected GFX code from 0x0000000 to 0x1660009?

@ bangity and @dinosaurcam - Did you copy the modified haswell mach kernel to the root of ur osx install? (the osx installed on the surface....) - http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3647-109-mavericks-haswell-kernel/

I did but maybe it was from vanilla installation and not mavericks. Can I just drop in in and retry runnning it, Or do I need to redo install?

@everyone

if you are using the surface pro first edition don't mix files, just use the main guide Step by Step

btw if you are using the surface pro 2 you can TRY the surface1 pack, since the surface pro 2 files has been removed but i can't give more support than whay you can read in my past posts.

@xgmr

Come on, 

there are several people that installed osx on the surface using the guide by NOT SHRINKING THE PARTITION but formatting the drive into one hfs+ and one fat32 from disk utility during osx installation. just save your windows code.

(or you'll have problems with the efi partition)

DO NOT MODIFY EFI FILES CHANGING NAME OF THE FILES OR PROBABLY YOU'll LOSE EVEN WINDOWS BOOT

follow every step of the main guide and it will work flawless.

gluck

@bangity

Without graphic acceleration (that cannot be achieved without a proper clover installation TO THE LOCAL DRIVE) [and using the clover files present in the first post]

you can't use switchersx and most of the osx apps.

@chinatownabc

the answer is in the quote you posted ;)

@JahStories

I did not use the Graphic Injector you provided. It booted normally after the copied the two kext files at the end of installation (this got me out of bluetooth transporter error). The only thing not working is Sound & AppStore. There is HiDPI for up to 720p when I used the sudo command. But Switchresx is useless when I try to add scaled resolution.

I used USB dongle for AppStore. It would not let me Sign In at all! When I do that on VM's, it works just fine.

Thanks!

(osxSurfacePro) @JahStories

Mavericks Vanilla Installation was a little confusing. It didn't boot when I followed unless I compied all the kexts to both 10.8 and Other. I am sorry but this is my first time creating a mac installer.

I was able to do fine up to conpying the Packages folder to the usb drive after removing the link. Can you clarify the steps after that? such as customizing Clover installation. Clicking next all the way won't boot either. and what is the Extra folder? Do I have to use the kexts suggested in the Vanila guide?

It would be nice if you can complete the whole guide specifically for the surface Pro