How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

I use this script and no boot on my vmware workstation 10, with unlocker 208.

jassker,

Workstation 10 needs Unlocker 1.3.0 not 2.0.8 this is for Workstation 11, 12 and 12.5.

Hi All,

I'm having problems using VMWare Workstation (v 12 and 12.5) for a college project that uses Mac/iOS Software. The host machine is a quad core i5 with 14GB of RAM.

I've installed El Capitan successfully (both v 10.11 and 10.11.6) and used it to build an iOS app successfully using XCode 6.4 a few months ago. Now I'm trying to build an iOS game requiring XCode 7.3.1 (Swift 2.2) but the Simulator program will not run at all even though XCode itself seems to works fine.

I assume that the game engine tries to access GPU features that are not provided by VMWare and so fails to run whereas less graphically intensive programs can run with the CPU emulation only. Does anyone know if this is the case and if I should abandon my attempts to make the impossible happen? Do other versions of VMWare allow superior graphics acceleration or the ability to access the GPU hardware of the host machine? Would an alternative emulator package or a 'Hackintosh' give better graphic performance?

I have installed VMWare Tools which I understand allows access to some basic GPU acceleration. This shows up as 128 MB graphics under the 'About this Mac' panel. Unfortunately this has also had the effect of making the shared folder disappear and I can's access it with the 'Go' menu or anywhere else. I've tried recreating it through the VMWare settings but with no luck. Any ideas of how to get this vital feature back?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm finding these issues difficult to research.

Thanks for your time.

Bob

Hi guys,

I've finally managed to get an installation of OSX going on my IBM x3850 M2 server, through Esxi 6. Unfortunately the only version I could get going was 10.8 (Mountain Lion), but it appears to have installed fine.

The problem is that I have no network connectivity (although strangely it can ping/connect to the esxi host). When set to DHCP, it gets one of those IPs that don't mean anything (I can't remember what they're called), and when I set it to the desired static IP, it claims to be connected, but still has no internet at all. The host and all other vms have internet, so it must just be an issue with my install

Any ideas?

I assume that the game engine tries to access GPU features that are not provided by VMWare and so fails to run whereas less graphically intensive programs can run with the CPU emulation only. Does anyone know if this is the case and if I should abandon my attempts to make the impossible happen? Do other versions of VMWare allow superior graphics acceleration or the ability to access the GPU hardware of the host machine? Would an alternative emulator package or a 'Hackintosh' give better graphic performance?

If you build a hackintosh that supports the GPU you are using yes that will most likely be a lot better then a VMware VM.

Nobody have yet seem how to get GPU passtrough correct with VMware workstation at least as i understand and read around.

• 1 month later...

Hi, MSoK.

I created make iso script for between MacOSX 10.6 and macOS 10.12. (might 10.5)

XXX.tool.txt is not necessary any more!

This script find your AppStore OSX Installer automatically.

Even if you have InstallESD.dmg only, you can specify the path.

Download the attached "create_osx_iso.txt" script file to your desktop.

In a terminal session, run the following command:

cd ~/Desktop

mv create_osx_iso.txt create_osx_iso

chmod +x create_osx_iso

./create_osx_iso

@shela,

Does your script work in El Capitan 10.12.1? I got output error "could not resize sparse  image"? 

• 2 months later...

I am having trouble getting this running for Sierra 10.12.3, with the following error (running on a Mac Mini):-

Detected OS X version: 10.12.3, build 16D32

Replacing Packages link with actual files...

rm: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Installation/Packages: No such file or directory

Could not remove Packages link.

"disk1" unmounted.

"disk1" ejected.

Would anyone have any ideas?

This turned out to be such a stupid issue, I am almost ashamed to post the solution.  The mount point on the physical disc inside the Mac Mini was also labelled "OS X Base System" so running the script meant some of the steps were pointing at the physical drive rather than the mounted file.  To solve, I renamed the physical mount point and the script ran successfully.  Oh well, that was 2 hours wasted but I hope it helps someone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm upgrading my personal esxi box, and tried mac os x with pass-through yesterday. After several (numerous) attempts I got my videocard working with external display.

I wonder how can I disable ESXI SVGA adapter? I found some ideas today, will try later tonight, but may be there's a proven solution? How can I disable, or completely remove that svga videocard from my VM?

Thanks.

UPD. Answering my own question.

I've removed driver for SVGA adapter and I don't see it anymore.

I still able to see adapter in Mac details, but not in monitor section. It's way more responsive now, which is great.

Guess I still can achieve that by installing SVGA II driver, or doing something like that, but it's easier for me to remove unnecessary thing(you should be glad, I'm not your doctor :)

Initially I thought that I will lose any VMRC connectivity to that VM without a video driver. Radeon driver picked up 2nd monitor just fine: I'm able to remote in that VM using vsphere console or VMRC. It's a bit annoying, because it's not acessible through videocard, and theoretically you're able to drag a window outside of visible screen. I tried disabling that screen via app, but it's not 100% working. Especially after reboot.

But I'll solve that later.

• Like 1

Hi all.

I'm upgrading my personal esxi box, and tried mac os x with pass-through yesterday. After several (numerous) attempts I got my videocard working with external display.

I wonder how can I disable ESXI SVGA adapter? I found some ideas today, will try later tonight, but may be there's a proven solution? How can I disable, or completely remove that svga videocard from my VM?

Thanks.

UPD. Answering my own question.

I've removed driver for SVGA adapter and I don't see it anymore.

I still able to see adapter in Mac details, but not in monitor section. It's way more responsive now, which is great.

Guess I still can achieve that by installing SVGA II driver, or doing something like that, but it's easier for me to remove unnecessary thing(you should be glad, I'm not your doctor :)

Initially I thought that I will lose any VMRC connectivity to that VM without a video driver. Radeon driver picked up 2nd monitor just fine: I'm able to remote in that VM using vsphere console or VMRC. It's a bit annoying, because it's not acessible through videocard, and theoretically you're able to drag a window outside of visible screen. I tried disabling that screen via app, but it's not 100% working. Especially after reboot.

But I'll solve that later.

This is quite interesting...I also would to achieve the same goal here: totally disable vmware adapter and use passthrough GPU completely. Thanks for the sharing and please update when you find a good solution.

This is quite interesting...I also would to achieve the same goal here: totally disable vmware adapter and use passthrough GPU completely. Thanks for the sharing and please update when you find a good solution.

I haven't found solution for that yet. If I login to VM I still see that virtual display. Problem is, there's no way to disable it in Mac OS, like I can do that in Windows. I will post something, if I find a solution. SwitchX may be?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm new to VMware and trying to get OSX/MacOS running on my Ubuntu 16.04 machine. I basically just need to get an up to date version of iTunes running. I'm not having much luck so far. I also have a MacBook pro running MacOS 10.12.4. Here's what I have tried so far.

1) Downloaded the MacOS 10.12.4 installer on my mac from the app store. I managed to create a working VM on my mac using VMWare Fusion. Works well.

2) I installed VMWare Workstation Player 12.5.5 on my Ubuntu machine and applied the 2.08 unlocker. I then copied the VM created on my mac to my Ubuntu machine, added "smc.version = "0"" to the config file and tried to run it. Nearly straight away it runs into a kernel panic and reboots.

3) I used the script created by Shela to create an ISO from the 10.12.4 installer and added "smc.version = "0"" to the config file. I then tried to use that to create a VM using Workstation Player. Once again, as soon as the boot process starts on the installer I get the same kernel panic as above.

4) I also downloaded the Mavericks installer from the app store and used the same process as in #3 above.The machine does seem to start to boot with the installer, but soon stalls and locks up with my host CPU maxing out. 

5) I found a complete VMWare Mavericks image elsewhere on the net and downloaded it. Tried to start that in Workstation Player, but it has the same behaviour as #4 above.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

I tried to use v2.0.8 on ESX 6.5 with no luck.  Is there a list of fixes for 2.0.9?  Does anyone know if it will work in ESX 6.5?

After I ran the install script and rebooted, I was not able to start any VMs on the server.  They all responded with this error code:

Transport (VMDB) error -45: Failed to connect to peer process

After uninstalling the unlocker and rebooting again, my non-Mac virtuals started on their own, but the Mac virtual gets stuck in a startup/reboot loop.  I haven't been able to screen scrape the reason for the reboot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

i got this error... "Could not resize sparse image." and i can't find any iso file on my desktop...

thanks for your help

Restoring BaseSystem.dmg...

Validating target...done

Validating source...done

Retrieving scan information...done

Validating sizes...done

Restoring  ....10....20....30....40....50....60....70....80....90....100

Remounting target volume...done

Detected OS X version: 10.12.1, build 16B2657

Replacing Packages link with actual files...

Copying dependency files...

"disk11" unmounted.

"disk11" ejected.

"disk10" unmounted.

"disk10" ejected.

Resizing sparse image...

hdiutil: resize failed - Ungültiges Argument

Could not resize sparse iamge.

Could you elaborate a bit further on the bold parts? Because right now it looks to me like you managed to get direct GPU acceleration in your VM.

Edit:

Sorry, I am stupid. I checked again what PCI pass-through means and basically it requires VT-d on Intel CPUs, which my lame-ass i7 4770K does not have. Of all the i7 Haswell CPU models that are out there, I got the only one lacking VT-d, argh! Still, I would really like to know how you managed to get pass-through to work.

The Hackintosh way of installing Sierra did not work at all on my hardware, so right now I am seriously considering to buy a 4790K or whatever if it means I can do all of my XCode development in the virtualized system.

• 3 months later...

Hi, MSoK.

I created make iso script for between MacOSX 10.6 and macOS 10.12. (might 10.5)

XXX.tool.txt is not necessary any more!

This script find your AppStore OSX Installer automatically.

Even if you have InstallESD.dmg only, you can specify the path.

Download the attached "create_osx_iso.txt" script file to your desktop.

In a terminal session, run the following command:

cd ~/Desktop

mv create_osx_iso.txt create_osx_iso

chmod +x create_osx_iso

./create_osx_iso

Can this be updated to work with High Sierra?  I tried to edit myself and I get the following error, not sure how to resolve.

6hlqgx.png