How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard to El Capitan) in VMware Workstation 10/11, Workstation Pro/Player 12, Player 6/7, ESXi 5/6

410 posts in this topic

I'll check when I get home, but I think it is the xhci entries. The same thing happened to me: I had my iPhone working with Xcode, did a new El Capitan installation, and it no longer fully connected after moving my projects over. I removed the xhci entries after comparing to my Yosemite vmx and BAM started working with no further issues.

EDIT: Yes, those were the entries. If you still have one of your old VMX files, copy/paste the USB entries. If not, remove all the usb_xchi entries and see if it repopulates the correct USB ports.

• Like 1

I'll check when I get home, but I think it is the xhci entries. The same thing happened to me: I had my iPhone working with Xcode, did a new El Capitan installation, and it no longer fully connected after moving my projects over. I removed the xhci entries after comparing to my Yosemite vmx and BAM started working with no further issues.

EDIT: Yes, those were the entries. If you still have one of your old VMX files, copy/paste the USB entries. If not, remove all the usb_xchi entries and see if it repopulates the correct USB ports.

Ok yeah I've got a lot of usb_xhci entries. Should I just remove anything that contains "usb_xhci" and hope it's repopulated? I guess no harm done if I make a snapshot?

Edit: Seems to have worked. Thank you very much!

Installed El Capitan in VMWare Workstation 12. Everything works, but the graphics kind of lag a little bit (even with 1GB dedicated to video). Running at host's native 2560x1440 resolution. I don't think beam synchronization (beamoff tool) applies anymore.    :wallbash:

Does anyone have an idea about how to fix this.

• 2 months later...

I just wonder:

- the DMG files which were created by the scripts (e.g. CECI.tool.txt, CYI.tool.txt)  can be used to install MACOSX on a real Apple machine or not?

I asked this because currently, I keep both the "Install OS X  *.app" files and the scripts. If the created DMG files can be used to install MACOSX on a real Apple machine, I will delete the "Install OS X  *.app" files, the scripts, and keep only the created DMG files. In this way, I don't need to run the scripts ever again.

BTW, do you know how to download old MAC OS X versions from App Store? Currently, I can download only MAC OS X El Capitan.

I'm running ESXi 6.0 on a HP N54L Microserver that AMD based and I get this error: "The firmware encountered an unexpected exception. The virtual machine cannot boot."

On the same system on 5.5, I could run Mavericks fine and now I get this error on 6.0 after using Unlocker.  Any ideas?

I'm running ESXi 6.0 on a HP N54L Microserver that AMD based and I get this error: "The firmware encountered an unexpected exception. The virtual machine cannot boot."

On the same system on 5.5, I could run Mavericks fine and now I get this error on 6.0 after using Unlocker.  Any ideas?

Daniel,

You need a non vanilla install with a kernel that supports AMD, the unlocker is of no help with an AMD processor as it is only for Vanilla installs on Intel hardware.

Yesterday, I used the Zip Utility of Mac OS X 10.9 to zip "Install OS X  EL Captain.app" to "Install OS X  EL Captain.zip". However, this zip file cannot be opened WinRAR on Windows although it is still ok on Mac OS X.

A nice experience :D

Yesterday, I used the Zip Utility of Mac OS X 10.9 to zip "Install OS X  EL Captain.app" to "Install OS X  EL Captain.zip". However, this zip file cannot be opened WinRAR on Windows although it is still ok on Mac OS X.

A nice experience :D

I would use 7z on Mac as I found the same problem. You can use Brew to install p7zip to get it but it is a terminal only solution,

I would use 7z on Mac as I found the same problem. You can use Brew to install p7zip to get it but it is a terminal only solution,

Thank you for your suggestion. That was the first time I met the problem. I guess that it is also because of the big size of the zip file.

I've been running Yosemite successfully for some time using Workstation 10. On rare occasion, Workstation will either lock up, or get shut down without suspending the VM. 

Usually, the virtual machine will come back up fine. But occasionally, it will reboot, and go through a partial reboot with the Apple screen and a partial progress bar, then just stops. Any suggestions on troubleshooting what's causing the hangup?

thanks!

Did you take a snapshot just after MacOSX installed? If you did, you can restore the snapshot to check if it is working as expected.

No, unfortunately I did not. I did keep a copy of the entire VM, so I have something to go back to ... but was hoping there was some temp file or setting that could be hanging things up.

thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

hi all.

thank you for tools and guide

me install Mac EC 10.11.0.iso in VMware ESXi 5.5 but 50% or 60% stop.

plz help me for fixed.

The normal gotcha is not putting the following line in the .vmx configuration file if you have hardware compatibility set beyond 10, see below taken from the guide in the first post in this thread.

Edit the configuration file (.vmx) and add the following line: smc.version = "0"

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone try 10.12 yet?

Made a bootable usb to get a fresh install of 10.12 macOS but it got stuck at 38 seconds left for a long long time and i didnt care to wait so i stopped and going to re-try later this week.

Update: Just re-did it and instead of choosing encrypted when i formated the VM drive i picked the standard journaled and it worked perfect 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have installed VMware Workstation software On my Windows 10 system. I've put a MacOS 10.12 Sierra OS in there.

At startup I always get this error shown on the picture.

I appreciate every idea and help, thank you!

error.jpg

wmx.txt

Got kernel panic (vm) during update from 10.11. 

ESXi 6.0U2. Probably, I should try again without passthrough devices attached to VM...

Update: successfull update from El Capitan to Sierra Public Beta (previous was "Developer Preview").

R9 280X is not recognized. Shows PCIe device in report, but driver is not loaded. Same card works out of the box in Maverics, Yosemite and El Capitan without any problem.