HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

• 6 months later...

Hey @RehabMan,

Just updated to Mojave with a few issues and checked your github beta branch. 

Your config.plist changed in so many ways, just realized that you added: -igfxnohdmi flag.

Does that means the hdmi is no longer supported? 

Does your new config.plist fixes Safari freeze? I need to fix it asap.

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, georgebergling said:

Hey @RehabMan,

Just updated to Mojave with a few issues and checked your github beta branch. 

Your config.plist changed in so many ways, just realized that you added: -igfxnohdmi flag.

Does that means the hdmi is no longer supported? 

Does your new config.plist fixes Safari freeze? I need to fix it asap.

Thank you! 

-igfxnohdmi is used to disable automatic HDMI patching for the framebuffer.

My plists do it with framebuffer-conX properties.

You should follow the guide completely, if you have an issue, there is a link on github where you can report problems.

9 hours ago, RehabMan said:

-igfxnohdmi is used to disable automatic HDMI patching for the framebuffer.

My plists do it with framebuffer-conX properties.

You should follow the guide completely, if you have an issue, there is a link on github where you can report problems.

Okay, thanks for clearing things up.

Just updated my HP Envy files with the ones you provided in your GitHub beta branch. Everything seems to be working correctly in Mojave.

One more thing; is there any way to remove my EFI mSata SSD partition where OS is installed? Didn't get to boot properly due some issues, I'm booting OS from my HDD Clover instead. I'm asking you this cause your automatic terminal patches deleted the content of my HDD EFI partition, so I had to do the upgrade manually copying every kext.

Thanks again!

Okay, thanks for clearing things up.

Just updated my HP Envy files with the ones you provided in your GitHub beta branch. Everything seems to be working correctly in Mojave.

One more thing; is there any way to remove my EFI mSata SSD partition where OS is installed? Didn't get to boot properly due some issues, I'm booting OS from my HDD Clover instead. I'm asking you this cause your automatic terminal patches deleted the content of my HDD EFI partition, so I had to do the upgrade manually copying every kext.

Thanks again!

The scripts actually update EFI/Clover/kexts/Other to be correct.

The only thing it deletes is IntelGraphicsFixup.kext as this is replaced by WhateverGreen.kext.

If you follow the guide properly, all the kexts you need are installed to /L/E and the "essential subset" of those is copied to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

17 minutes ago, RehabMan said:

The scripts actually update EFI/Clover/kexts/Other to be correct.

The only thing it deletes is IntelGraphicsFixup.kext as this is replaced by WhateverGreen.kext.

If you follow the guide properly, all the kexts you need are installed to /L/E and the "essential subset" of those is copied to EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.

Yes I know,

Your patch guide worked correctly when I only had the mSATA SSD EFI partition created, but then I realized that my mSATA didn't have capability to boot clover, so I went trough creating another EFI partition in my HD (installing clover and copying the kexts).

But having two EFI partitions is causing troubleshooting with your scripts. There's still a mSATA EFI partition created not working along with the other HD EFI partition that works, when I run your script nothing changes at the mSATA EFI partition but my HD EFI partition content is deleted.

Yes I know,

Your patch guide worked correctly when I only had the mSATA SSD EFI partition created, but then I realized that my mSATA didn't have capability to boot clover, so I went trough creating another EFI partition in my HD (installing clover and copying the kexts).

But having two EFI partitions is causing troubleshooting with your scripts. There's still a mSATA EFI partition created not working along with the other HD EFI partition that works, when I run your script nothing changes at the mSATA EFI partition but my HD EFI partition content is deleted.

The scripts will always update the EFI associated with the system volume.

If you're actually booting from some other EFI, you will need to copy one to the other.

Hello, @RehabMan!

I've just replaced my ralink wifi+bt card by bcm94352. 
It was not working from box, so I copied up-to-date FakePCIID and the same *Broadcom_WIFI to kext utility and refresh caches.
Also clover was updated. 

After it, Audio became not working.

I've decided to take it later and started to update to Mojave. 
Update was successful, but Audio didn't start to work.

Tried to replace my config.plist with yours - not help, tried to reinstall yours hotpatch - not help, tried to boot with no caches(by adding to config.plist) and reboot after it more than twice - not help.

Envy j052-nr with BCM94352.

Also AirPods working very bad, often freezed and so on. What can I do with it?

CLOVER.zip

Edited by daniek9898

• I quickly wanted to let the thread know that I am currently trying to work on getting new 10.14 files up soon. I do have it installed but haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it yet. Apple's questionable decision to forcefully require apfs by default caught me off guard and caused my usual update process to stop dead in its tracks for a day or so. Surprisingly, I was able to sort it out rather quickly given how little I originally knew about the new filesystem. apfs does me no good currently as I do not own an ssd and all of my test drives are older than sin anyway, lol. RehabMan's work will no doubt be invaluable moving forward with 10.14 as it has been in the past but I am still planning to continue (start again?) making the packages for the thread. I guess the best I can do is just to say keep posted and please be patient. It has been a long time for me. :)
  • Like 3

@RehabMan

- UPDATE: Today I've seen that you've updated your 'hotpatch guide', unfortunately, it seems that your new config or SSDT is not working properly since I'm unable to boot to Mojave.

Here's what I did:

cd ~/Projects/envy.git

git pull

./download.sh

./install_downloads.sh

make

make install_j (since my laptop is HP Envy J)

cp config_envyj.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

Everything worked correctly in my EFI partition, my SSDT was replaced by the new one besides of the config. Added my SMBIOS and restarted my computer.

Now I'm stuck at the boot, when it gets to HoRNDIS (probe: probe: this composite device is not for us) it freezes (pic attached) and then it shows a prohibited symbol. 

Tried to update Clover but still not booting, I'm using Clover_v2.4k_r4699.

Thank you! 

IMG_7734.JPG

@RehabMan

- UPDATE: Today I've seen that you've updated your 'hotpatch guide', unfortunately, it seems that your new config or SSDT is not working properly since I'm unable to boot to Mojave.

I've been looking into this and have hinted about some similar problems that I've come across to RehabMan myself. I'm hoping to have it all sorted out within a day or so but I have a lot of testing to make sure first.

Considering the multiple repos he merged, it's not surprising that there are some problems. Some might be intentional updates for other machines too. Nobody knows his plans for the updated repo but him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, georgebergling said:

@RehabMan

Here's what I did:

cd ~/Projects/envy.git

git pull

./download.sh

./install_downloads.sh

make

make install_j (since my laptop is HP Envy J)

cp config_envyj.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

Everything worked correctly in my EFI partition, my SSDT was replaced by the new one besides of the config. Added my SMBIOS and restarted my computer.

Now I'm stuck at the boot, when it gets to HoRNDIS (probe: probe: this composite device is not for us) it freezes (pic attached) and then it shows a prohibited symbol. 

Tried to update Clover but still not booting, I'm using Clover_v2.4k_r4699.

Thank you! 

IMG_7734.JPG

Is your SATA mode set to AHCI?

24 minutes ago, RehabMan said:

Is your SATA mode set to AHCI?

I'm not able to change any SATA settings in my BIOS, just the Boot Options and a few Intel options like USB 3.0.

Installed MacOS in UEFI without Secure Boot as you described in your guide.

43 minutes ago, georgebergling said:

I'm not able to change any SATA settings in my BIOS, just the Boot Options and a few Intel options like USB 3.0.

Installed MacOS in UEFI without Secure Boot as you described in your guide.

Attach full PR files as per Envy guide.  Use your USB to boot if needed.

Note: If your SATA mode is fixed as RAID (iRST), we can simply add SATA-unsupported.kext.

FYI: Added SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext to repo/install_downloads.sh just in case.

Edited by RehabMan

1 hour ago, RehabMan said:

Attach full PR files as per Envy guide.  Use your USB to boot if needed.

Note: If your SATA mode is fixed as RAID (iRST), we can simply add SATA-unsupported.kext.

FYI: Added SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext to repo/install_downloads.sh just in case.

PR files attached.

Forgot to mention that I needed to install OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in Drivers64UEFI to boot properly in High Sierra, also I'm using MacBookPro11,2 due to it's been working correctly since Mavericks (iMessage and FaceTime). 

Thanks again! 

debug_32488.zip

1 minute ago, georgebergling said:

PR files attached.

Forgot to mention that I needed to install OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi in Drivers64UEFI to boot properly in High Sierra, also I'm using MacBookPro11,2 due to it's been working correctly since Mavericks (iMessage and FaceTime). 

Thanks again! 

debug_32488.zip

SATA is in RAID (iRST) mode.

Note 8086:282a in misc/preboot.log:

0:122  0:000  === [ GetDevices ] ========================================

0:122  0:000  PCI (00|00:1F.02) : 8086 282A class=010400

SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext should take care of your booting problem.

We are now typically using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix*.efi.

Also, ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi+AppleImageLoader-64.efi instead of apfs.efi.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RehabMan said:

SATA is in RAID (iRST) mode.

Note 8086:282a in misc/preboot.log:

0:122  0:000  === [ GetDevices ] ========================================

0:122  0:000  PCI (00|00:1F.02) : 8086 282A class=010400

SATA-RAID-unsupported.kext should take care of your booting problem.

We are now typically using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFix*.efi.

Also, ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi+AppleImageLoader-64.efi instead of apfs.efi.

Wow, you're a beast, only 4 minutes to answer me!

Thank you so much, will try now! 

EDIT: It works like a charm, thank you @RehabMan!

Edited by georgebergling

WARNING: thread history lesson incoming!

Spoiler

As many of you may know, I am a old grumpy person who doesn't like change. It's for that very reason that I have stuck with using 10.9.5 Mavericks as my primary Mac OS since I started this thread several years ago. Almost all of the support packages provided starting from 10.10.x Yosemite were compiled by Andrw0380. As time went by, I got further and further behind all the Mac OS times. Sure, I popped in here and there to see how the thread was doing and update the first post as needed but I was almost never prepared to test out Andrw0380's latest work or provide support to any other members like I would have tried to do in the past. I felt really guilty because he was handling everything with the thread almost entirely on his own but since he seemed to be doing such a great job with it, over time I gave it less and less thought since everything seemed to be working out. At the time, I never thought that I'd ever be making support packages again and I was perfectly fine with that. Now, thankfully I knew that Andrw0380 wasn't entirely alone. RehabMan has been a major guiding force behind everything Mac OS related for as long as I can even remember and he still frequented the thread providing helpful updates and support along with Andrw0380 and everyone else still active at the time. Fast forward to more recently. RehabMan is still doing his thing. Somehow juggling support on multiple forums, maintaining his multiple repositories, which is home to his 'hotpatch' method, something that we all still rely on for our current setups and still he finds the time to keep on top of the latest and greatest with Mac OS. He continues pushing out updates and fixes for all the problems that spring up from those newer Mac OS versions. Yup, he's as busy as ever and still I don't know how he does it. I'm thankful as hell though that he does. We all should be. What about Andrw0380? Well, things are not so clear for him. Last thing I knew of, his ENVY laptop battery was failing. He informed the thread that his latest support package at the time might be his last if he couldn't find a replacement battery for his machine. That was the last thing that I've heard from him. The point to take from this is that I think it's safe to say that this thread owes a lot to both RehabMan and Andrw0380 for everything that they've done over the years. I know that I owe them both. This post has grown to be a monster but I wanted to document this because I think it's important for anyone viewing the thread. I don't know what the future of this thread will be but I want to take a moment to reflect on all the crazy things that have happened with it over the years. I started this thread with a brand new ENVY laptop toy, designed by HP to be an obvious ripoff of the Apple MacBook/Pro of the time and thought that it absolutely NEEDED to be utilizing the OS that it so clearly idolizing using. The CPU and GPUs were completely unsupported, the chipset was a compatibility nightmare and almost nothing for the machine worked but I didn't care. I thought it was beautiful running in software compatibility graphics mode (no QE/CI) and was determined, maybe even a little obsessed with doing my damnedest to get as many things working on it as possible. I had been (poorly, lol) putting together 'hackmacs' since 2006ish when I first realized that I could using 10.4.6 Tiger. I knew very little concerning ACPI tables and DSDT modifications were still very foreign to me and I was running a legacy bootloader (Chameleon) on an EFI machine because Clover wasn't very mature yet and didn't yet work very well with my machine. As far as I knew at the time, no other Haswell-based laptop support threads existed or at least, I couldn't find any so I started this one with the plan of both documenting my own findings and with the hopes of learning about possible solutions to the many problems that my ENVY brought to me. It is amazing how far that we've come and I owe it all to this thread and the wonderful people in it. Thankfully, our toys are currently supported on 10.14 Mojave and i'm looking forward to seeing how long this ride will last. Thank you to everyone who came along for the ride and especially to those few who helped make it less bumpy along the way!

Still with me? Let's get to the point of that very long history lesson and this entire post. I have been in the process of updating everything from my personal archive of 10.10.x and higher. I think that I finally got it to a point where I can safely assume that it's more or less finished. Why is that important? Well...

10.14.0 (Mojave) ENVY:

10.14.0_ENVY17_10142018.zip

I'M BACK BABY!!!

(sorry, I had to.)

first post will be updated & more to come soon...

^_^

Edited by gygabyte666
  • Haha 2