New Nvidia Retail Driver Install Solution

Rampage Dev

94 posts in this topic

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't seem to be able to locate anything older than 12E52..., maybe I 'll try again with 10.8.3, new drivers enabled, nvda_drv=1, and enabling the latest nvidia version, etc... I think I tried that already,...it seems to be something to do with the "Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded"

is there another way to load this kext, I tried downloading some kext files, but osx86tool does not like to open those files, somehow hardware detection in osX86tools doesn't work, and I get errors when I try to setup a custom geforce card with over 5GB using GFX string creator.... any suggestion?

Thanks, S>

DO NOT USE ANY EFI STRING GENERATOR. Bad idea and will not help with anything.

Talked to one user today. Is using the latest beta with no issues. Make sure you are not using Graphics Enabler.

Only supports mac pros. You must change your SMBIOS or mod the package.

I change my Smbios for MacPro5,1 but no install. I install Chameleon V2.2svn 2233 e add the flag in org.chameleon. I just can not install pkg. How do I change the PKG?

after install Modules FileNVRAM.dylib(It creates a plist in the folder Extra) : http://cl.ly/P8zv

DO NOT USE ANY EFI STRING GENERATOR. Bad idea and will not help with anything.

Talked to one user today. Is using the latest beta with no issues. Make sure you are not using Graphics Enabler.

Thanks for the feedback, I realize now that my original genuine boot kernel does not have Graphic Enabler, which is probably the problem?, I am not sure how to load the driver, I was thinking maybe fixing IOPCIMatch in NVDAStartup could work? Thanks, S.

I change my Smbios for MacPro5,1 but no install. I install Chameleon V2.2svn 2233 e add the flag in org.chameleon. I just can not install pkg. How do I change the PKG?

after install Modules FileNVRAM.dylib(It creates a plist in the folder Extra) : http://cl.ly/P8zv

As far as I can tell this only works for 10.8.3

How about a clover based installation ?

Tried to use the prefpane to switch to web drivers with clover 1654 and it didn't worked (not a cosmetic issue !) :wallbash:

It works with nvda_drv=1 in boot args.

Is there a way to make it work with the nvidia nvram prefpane with clover ?

Have you installed the RC Scripts from Clover setup? otherwise nvram won't be available at boot and will reset to default every time (I had the same problem, solved by installing the RC Scripts)

//edit: nvm, seems now it's working for you as well :)

Just to be sure the driver is loaded properly check CUDA prefpane from system pref

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-18%20at%2010.30.28%20AM.png

Mine (5.0.59 too) keeps telling 8.10.44 304.10.65f03 but I suppose it's another cosmetic bug as well, the kext loaded correctly, and OpenGL Extensions Viewer reports the correct driver version (8.14.11 etc)

running 10.8.4 (12e55) and forced an install through pacifist, but can't get the driver manager (in the pref pane) to open up. Any way to otherwise force the web drivers? or fiddle with the .prefpane till it works?

EDIT: Ran as MacPro3,1 4,1 and 5,1 - none of which made a dif, it doesnt like the osx version

EDITEDIT: running a gtx 560 ti on a z68ap-d3 (uefi)

which is, im assuming, why i get the following error when running in terminal

/NVIDIA\ Driver\ Manager.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/com.nvidia.nvroothelper

2013-05-31 00:08:30.017 com.nvidia.nvroothelper[474:707] ERROR: +[NVSpiDevice mapGpuHandles:]: NvSPI_GPU_GetIOPCIDevicePath failed! error -8

2013-05-31 00:08:30.018 com.nvidia.nvroothelper[474:707] ERROR: could not find SPI handle to GPU slot 0

nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

i've got the nvram module, any idea whats going on?

EDIT SOMEMORE: I figure this is because I'm not using a DSDT, thus the slot 0 thing and the NvSPI_GPU_GetIOPCIDevicePath thing

running 10.8.4 (12e55) and forced an install through pacifist, but can't get the driver manager (in the pref pane) to open up. Any way to otherwise force the web drivers? or fiddle with the .prefpane till it works?

EDIT: Ran as MacPro3,1 4,1 and 5,1 - none of which made a dif, it doesnt like the osx version

EDITEDIT: running a gtx 560 ti on a z68ap-d3 (uefi)

which is, im assuming, why i get the following error when running in terminal

/NVIDIA\ Driver\ Manager.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/com.nvidia.nvroothelper

2013-05-31 00:08:30.017 com.nvidia.nvroothelper[474:707] ERROR: +[NVSpiDevice mapGpuHandles:]: NvSPI_GPU_GetIOPCIDevicePath failed! error -8

2013-05-31 00:08:30.018 com.nvidia.nvroothelper[474:707] ERROR: could not find SPI handle to GPU slot 0

nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

i've got the nvram module, any idea whats going on?

EDIT SOMEMORE: I figure this is because I'm not using a DSDT, thus the slot 0 thing and the NvSPI_GPU_GetIOPCIDevicePath thing

Unsupported OS Version.

i need some help with this new nvidia driver, i changed system profile to Mac pro 4,1 and it still wont let me install latest web driver for my gtx 650 ti.

any ideas?

If you have 10.8.4:

Open NVDAStartup.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Blank out IOKitPersonalities/NVDAStartup/NVDARequireOS

Repair permissions, reboot, voila!

...for 10.8.4 I thought it might be better to just correct the os version as in : <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>

<string>12E55</string> instead of just leaving it blank...seems to work as well... :smoke:

...no more needed here....nada...ziltch...your mileage may vary

...the 2 topics are definitely related...one started out as an announcement...the other is one possible solution to using the drivers...go figure... :smoke:

• 3 months later...

The New Nvidia Web driver 313.01.03f01 installed perfect on my system with my GTX 680, all I had to do was after the installation put a kernel flag in chameleon plist nvda_drv=1

Novabench GPU score with 10.8.5 drivers : 486

Novabench GPU score with the new Nvidia Web drivers : 485

FYI: SMBios is set as Mac Pro 5,1 2010

• 2 weeks later...

You need someone else with a GT 240 card to answer that question. This means you have two options: Wait forever, or run the installer and see for yourself. :P

There shouldn't be any problems, but if the drivers don't work for you, you can always go back to the OS drivers. The Nvidia web drivers don't overwrite system drivers plus the installer includes an uninstall script.

Of course if you are using patched drivers with your device ID added, you will have to patch the nvidia web drivers in the same way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...