GenericUSBXHCI USB 3.0 driver for OS X with source

928 posts in this topic

Hello all. I have a p8h67-v with i7 2600k (sandy bridge). I installed Yosemite with oaf clover and everything is working.

I am using GenericUSBXHCI v1.2.7 (yosemite) for the two usb 3.0 ports I have in the back. The ports are working, I have an external WD usb3 drive which is recognized and browsable. However in the boot log I can always see this message regarding the creation of USB Hub Root Device: Bus 14 already taken. I think it's some sort of conflict between USB drivers and I really don't kn ow what harm it's making.
Any clue as how to get rid of this error? By the way as you can see every time I get a different number (1.100, 0.992, 0.995) anyone know what that could be referred to?
Also sometimes when booting to windows 8.1 (I have it in a separate disk) one USB port stops working (yellow ! mark), I have to deactivate it from hardware management and reactivate it to get it working again).

Thanks

14/11/14 00:06:50,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.100    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

14/11/14 09:21:37,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.100    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

14/11/14 09:23:35,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    0.992    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

14/11/14 09:41:22,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    0.995    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

14/11/14 10:16:53,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1. 11    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

14/11/14 09:41:22,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    0.995    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

14/11/14 10:16:53,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1. 11    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

I have asked this question several times (I have the same messages) but nobody was able to tell me, so do not expect an answer ;)

On the other hand, I think these are not an indication of a real problem, at least not one you could solve. At least all of the -gux-* flags did not make this message go away, so I simply ignore it now.

On the other hand, especially with 10.10 there seem to be even more problems with USB3, so an updated driver would be nice.

All in all, this is one of the reasons I won't upgrade to 10.10 (But not the main one)

I have a reproducible complete train-wreck of a kernel panic that happens so quickly it's hard to debug and it's related to GenericUSBXHCI and the ebook reader/manager application Calibre. This kernel panic happens with calibre-debug and calibre itself, and happens even when there is no device on the bus that Calibre would want to talk to. It's really something spectacular. 

I am thinking that this is probably a bug in implementation of usbmuxd/libimobiledevice in Calibre but the developer of Calibre is not known for, shall we say, enthusiastic responses to criticism in his software [1]. I may have another kernel panic as a result of this driver in the software installer and subsequent use of the driver to control a LeapMotion device. I haven't attempted to reproduce in a while, as I bought a CalDigit combo card but after Yosemite the Caldigit kernel extensions for USB have had issues of their own so I've yanked them, yanked the card, and I'm trying to make do with the Etron devices

So I'm back and considering either getting the better CalDigit card (the one with two internal ESATA connectoids and two external in addition to 2 USB 3.0 that doesn't lose it's effing mind when a USB 3.0 hub is plugged in) or going with another option entirely like upgrading my board to something with on-board Intel USB 3.0.

tl;dr is my reproducible panic something that can be addressed in GenericUSBXHCI or do I need to suck it up and go to battle with Kovid Goyal after swallowing enough anti-anxiety medication to not take his tantrums too seriously? With the original author/maintainer stepping out and two other folks starting to dig in I don't want to get in the way of that but if this is an interesting bug that you think will help get your bearings, I'd be happy to guineapig any suggestions and possible fixes.

My hardware is z68x-ud3h-b3 on UEFI h1l, I boot with Clover and don't have Windows (but if required I can pull down that preview release of Windows 10 and put it on a spare drive or VM.) 

FWIW I'm not opposed to learning more about USB myself so I'm not merely volunteering to run builds and whine about them.  I'm GMT-5/US-en and familiar with git/svn/rcs/mercurial and arcane knowledge like unified diffs and dtrace.

No hard feelings if nobody wants to run with this with me, I'm fine just throwing hardware and money at it if that's all it takes.

[1] For example, there is what has to be by now a 200 page thread on launchpad of him arguing why a security vulnerability in his software isn't important and him actually telling well-reguarded researchers and developers that know how to address the issues to go screw.

Hi all,

I'm new to all this OSx86 thing, though not new to Mac's or Linux...

Got a Lenovo T420s on which I installed 10.10 three weeks ago. Thanks to Tluck and this Thread I got it to work as expected, except USB3.

Regarding to lspci its:

0d:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04) 

And I already have RehabMan's Version of "GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.8d7)" installed but USB3 Sticks attached to the USB3 Port remain inactive: http://ctrlv.in/462976 Is there anything else I need to do?

Hi all,

I'm new to all this OSx86 thing, though not new to Mac's or Linux...

Got a Lenovo T420s on which I installed 10.10 three weeks ago. Thanks to Tluck and this Thread I got it to work as expected, except USB3.

Regarding to lspci its:

0d:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1033:0194] (rev 04) 

And I already have RehabMan's Version of "GenericUSBXHCI (1.2.8d7)" installed but USB3 Sticks attached to the USB3 Port remain inactive: http://ctrlv.in/462976 Is there anything else I need to do?

Have you tried to update the firmware?

@Micky1979

THX a ton man, read about it before but didn't believe it might be the cure... Searching this Thread didn't make that better!

Anyway's I followed this Posting, worked even with my Win8.1 install!

Right after Boot I could see my USB3 Stick...

Not yet done a performance test.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hate it if someone would try downloading Calibre (it's an ebook library manager) and trying to run it while having this kext loaded and see if you get a kernel panic? I can replicate it 100% on my own hardware but before I go on a witch hunt I'd like some confirmation.

http://calibre-ebook.com

The panic will likely occur after you create a library (any existing/new folder will do) and the initial setup. Once the UI starts up completely it (should) panic. Please don't do this without the expectation of it causing an instant reboot.

I got this message in console, i have Nec/renesas laptop usb 3.0 

12/11/14 14:22:54,000 kernel[0]: USBF:    1.461    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

Usb 3.0 works with device plugged before boot in os. Weird problem. 

If i eject the device it doesn't recognize anymore any devices.

I have the same in my log.

Nov 20, 2014, 8:54:08 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    0.986    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

Nov 20, 2014, 8:54:08 PM kernel[0]: USBF:    0.988    GenericUSBXHCI::CreateRootHubDevice  Bus 14 already taken

My OS ver:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.10.1 (14B25)

Kernel Version: Darwin 14.0.0

Boot Volume: Yosemite

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: iMac

Here is dump.

By the way, USB3 don't works

Hi I got it working on DP4 but it involved some things

1. sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

2. download source

3. download xcode, signing in with apple developer account and requesting certificates

4. removing _onThunderbolt functions from source as xcode 6 raised like 8 errors on it.

5. signing with my mac developer account and then build/compile.

6. after installing the resulted .kext with kextwizard i rebuild the mkext with:

7. sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

8. reboot & working for me.

I can attach my .kext if that is allowed......

Edit: kext attached

Edit2: Thanks @Zenith of course!

Thanks. I am now able to use USB 3.0 ports on Yosemite 10.10 with those drivers

Hm, am I missing something? I get this one: 

kextutil -tn /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext 

Diagnostics for /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext:

Code Signing Failure: code signature is invalid

/System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext appears to be loadable (including linkage for on-disk libraries).

Ok, so code signing finally arrived, and I think I missed the step how to get around it. 

What I tried so far:
put it in /Library/Extensions
put it in EFI partition /EFI/Clover/kexts

before I mess around with the exception list and tools like gatebreak, I am wondering why I seem to be the only one with this problem here. 

Any help?

Hm, am I missing something? I get this one: 

kextutil -tn /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext 

/System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext appears to be loadable (including linkage for on-disk libraries).

Ok, so code signing finally arrived, and I think I missed the step how to get around it. 

What I tried so far:

before I mess around with the exception list and tools like gatebreak, I am wondering why I seem to be the only one with this problem here. 

Any help?

Normal. Use kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag.

What I tried so far:

Any help?

Normal. Use kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag.

Using /System/Library/Extensions will not require kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag

Using /System/Library/Extensions will not require kext-dev-mode=1 kernel flag

With Yosemite, kext-dev-mode=1 is definitely required. The kext cannot load (and cannot be put in cache by kextcache) without it.

This is common knowledge.

The only exception is if the kext is signed by a developer ID with kext signing capability.

Hello eveyone,

I did an install of Yosemite over Mavericks on a Hackintosh.

I have a Gigabyte USB3 mobo (LGA1156 i guess) and cannot get a USB mouse to work. I get to the Yosemite login screen and my mice (I tried to connect two of them to different ports to try) are stuck in the upper left corner and don't move.

I tried all boot args, PCIRoot, npci, kext-dev-mod without success.

I tried to repair permissions by rebooting on my usb stick (mouse works), no success.

I copied GenericUSBHXi back in Yosemite's S/L/E (had to remove it for upgrade according to tonymac) by booting on a mavericks clone partition, no success either.

What can I do ?

Thanks

I copied GenericUSBHXi back in Yosemite's S/L/E (had to remove it for upgrade according to tonymac) by booting on a mavericks clone partition, no success either.

ha, a pearl of wisdom... no other advice you received from him?

unfortunately no.

It was the only guide I found that talked about the "upgrade" from mavericks to Yosemite, other tutorials just said to start from scratch and reformat the drive, that's why I followed his.

If you have a solution please let me know.

As for now my GenericUSBHXI version in S/L/E is 1.2.7

If you have a solution please let me know.

RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2014-1016.zip

With Yosemite, kext-dev-mode=1 is definitely required. The kext cannot load (and cannot be put in cache by kextcache) without it.

This is common knowledge.

The only exception is if the kext is signed by a developer ID with kext signing capability.

For that, Chameleon/Enoch automatically inject the kext-dev-mode=1 when the OS is Yosemite (my little idea ^_^ then ErmaC do that). Not tested if Clover do the same..

For that, Chameleon/Enoch automatically inject the kext-dev-mode=1 when the OS is Yosemite (my little idea ^_^ then ErmaC do that). Not tested if Clover do the same..

Clover does not inject kext-dev-mode=1 automatically.

Thank you.

I installed it with kextbeat in S/L/E and rebooted. At first it worked (my USB3 connected mouse moved) but not another mouse connected to USB2. Then reboot (no change), none of them work

go figure...

I must have some big USB conflict. if the Rehabman the only file to have in S/L/E for all usb to work ?

I have a H55M-USB3 mobo.

:(