What would you tell Apple?

Swad

55 posts in this topic

its quite convienient to have that on my vaio. but who cares, i have a mac!

hey steve, youre cool but like i want a right click built in.... it does build character to ctrl click though.

lower the price of the mini. release the iphone right now so i can get one.

I don't think Opengl is not as good as DirectX, just DirectX is the "standard" so to speak.

OpenGL develops rather slowly and as such it has trouble keeping up with hardware advances and utilizing the high powered gpu's as well as directx... but it is much more portable because it can be used on almost any os... but the extensions dirty up the code... thats all i have to say... +- and directx just put the oposits for all those. but this is more than slightly :blink: so I digress

Have the balls to actually take on Microsoft.

First, meditate on the significant of WINE, a software package that allows software to be easily ported to Mac (and other platforms) as well as letting Macs (and others) to run Windows software without installing Windows.

Pour money into developing a robust, comprehensive WINE technology for OS X. Apple really could eat MS's lunch if that new Mac could run most Windows software natively without buying a copy of Windows.

(Oh, and where the devil is ad blocking in Safari? You'd have to be mentally challenged (or a Microsoft designer) not to have this functionality in a browser by now.)

Have the balls to actually take on Microsoft.

First, meditate on the significant of WINE, a software package that allows software to be easily ported to Mac (and other platforms) as well as letting Macs (and others) to run Windows software without installing Windows.

Pour money into developing a robust, comprehensive WINE technology for OS X. Apple really could eat MS's lunch if that new Mac could run most Windows software natively without buying a copy of Windows.

(Oh, and where the devil is ad blocking in Safari? You'd have to be mentally challenged (or a Microsoft designer) not to have this functionality in a browser by now.)

i doubt either M$ or Apple would ever bulld ad blocking into their browsers. A lot of sites make money simply off the ads on their site. If their ads are being blocked, they don't make the money, and they would probably try to make their sites not compatable with those browsers, or at least not care if they are or are not compatable. sorry, but web sites need those ads to stay up and running.

OpenGL develops rather slowly and as such it has trouble keeping up with hardware advances and utilizing the high powered gpu's as well as directx... but it is much more portable because it can be used on almost any os... but the extensions dirty up the code... thats all i have to say... +- and directx just put the oposits for all those. but this is more than slightly :P so I digress

True, but with EVERY game I have played in Linux that I played in Windows, OpenGL kicked DirectX's ass in performance. I just like OpenGL. :D

True, but with EVERY game I have played in Linux that I played in Windows, OpenGL kicked DirectX's ass in performance. I just like OpenGL. :P

Depends on the gpu, my gpu is ati and better suited for opengl, i do beleve DirectX is more sys intensive (just a theory, not supported by anything atm...) so that may be why... but if you think opengl remember Halflife 2 for DirectX. I think that they are both quite close in performance... ether way

max

Dear Steve,

Different color iPods (not just nanos).

OS X on PC or lower Mac prices.

Beta software. You dont have too much of that. MS released public betas of Vista, why cant you release a beta of Leopard for consumers?

Other than that, i love u. Bye.

P.S., You have video iPods!, please let us change the user interface to something less boring then the current menus!

i doubt either M$ or Apple would ever bulld ad blocking into their browsers. A lot of sites make money simply off the ads on their site. If their ads are being blocked, they don't make the money, and they would probably try to make their sites not compatable with those browsers, or at least not care if they are or are not compatable. sorry, but web sites need those ads to stay up and running.

Precicely! I run a site myself and the ads pay my hosting costs. This site uses them too... Blocking ads is like stealing money out of a friends pocket. If you like the site, support them for crying out loud. No one's requiring you click the ads, but at the least don't block them.

Finder, or Desktop? Make up your mind. Call it Desktop, and get rid of the old Finder word. It *still* confuses new people.

Desktop is just a folder within the Finder workspace... Just like the Desktop is a folder within the Windows Explorer. You are confusing the two. They are two separate things.

Desktop is just a folder within the Finder workspace... Just like the Desktop is a folder within the Windows Explorer. You are confusing the two. They are two separate things.

For the past 8 years, I teach new Mac users every month. 90% of them get confused by this. "Go to the Finder." "Where's that?" "It's the Desktop." "The Finder is the Desktop?" "Yes." "Why do I click on the Desktop, but it calls itself the Finder? I thought whatever application you're in, shows up at the Menu?" "It is, but the Desktop is just a folder within the Finder workspace." "That is as clear as mud." "I know. I've been trying to get them to change that for years. For now, whenever someone says 'click on or in the Finder, it means click on the Desktop." "So the Desktop is the Finder?" "No. It's just a folder within the Finder workspace."

I still think they could call the Finder "Desktop" and millions of new users would be less confused. Just my opinion.

For the past 8 years, I teach new Mac users every month. 90% of them get confused by this. "Go to the Finder." "Where's that?" "It's the Desktop." "The Finder is the Desktop?" "Yes." "Why do I click on the Desktop, but it calls itself the Finder? I thought whatever application you're in, shows up at the Menu?" "It is, but the Desktop is just a folder within the Finder workspace." "That is as clear as mud." "I know. I've been trying to get them to change that for years. For now, whenever someone says 'click on or in the Finder, it means click on the Desktop." "So the Desktop is the Finder?" "No. It's just a folder within the Finder workspace."

I still think they could call the Finder "Desktop" and millions of new users would be less confused. Just my opinion.

This would make less sense to me. Then you'd open up a "desktop" to get to your Music folder... navigate through desktops to open applications. All of you external drives would be desktops...

The Finder is an application - the Desktop is a big open folder with a background image. When you click on the desktop you are clicking on the desktop folder. When you click on the finder icon in the dock you launch a Finder window and navigate many folders potentially including the Desktop. How is this confusing?

How is this confusing?

Nothing's confusing, John, once you get it. Including Windows and the Terminal.

Another suggestion: add Command-Shift-D to the Go Menu's list of shortcuts, for the Documents' folder. I always add this via QuicKeys, but it'd be more useful if it was there by default.

Dear Steve,

please buy three highly innovative companys.

First one to devlop a perfect interface for gaming engines on 10.5

Second one to create some of the most advanced and fascinating games the market has ever seen.

Third one to organize some of the best and user-friendly online-communitys for these games.

These games should run smoothly on every new Mac and perfectly on the middle machines. (Maybe acceptable on PPC Macs? If possible) When these games come out for Windows (one year later or so) the games shoud need high performance ordinary PC-Hardware to run nearly acceptable.

Massively advertise these games on TV-Radio-Online-Paper. (Especially on the Windows-market). Everyone should talk about them. Wait for them. Die for them.

And when the games come out, they are only for OSX (but not the demos!!!). I would love to see the f***in faces of all those Gamers, waiting for nothing else than these games, when they see, they run on Macs perfectly, but they can forget about their Windowses.

Smack M$ out of the market and degrade them to a joke. Show em what power innovation has over money. Please end this directX {censored}. I cant hear this anymore.

:-)

Dear Steve,

please buy three highly innovative companys.

First one to devlop a perfect interface for gaming engines on 10.5

Second one to create some of the most advanced and fascinating games the market has ever seen.

Third one to organize some of the best and user-friendly online-communitys for these games.

These games should run smoothly on every new Mac and perfectly on the middle machines. (Maybe acceptable on PPC Macs? If possible) When these games come out for Windows (one year later or so) the games shoud need high performance ordinary PC-Hardware to run nearly acceptable.

Massively advertise these games on TV-Radio-Online-Paper. (Especially on the Windows-market). Everyone should talk about them. Wait for them. Die for them.

And when the games come out, they are only for OSX (but not the demos!!!). I would love to see the f***in faces of all those Gamers, waiting for nothing else than these games, when they see, they run on Macs perfectly, but they can forget about their Windowses.

Smack M$ out of the market and degrade them to a joke. Show em what power innovation has over money. Please end this directX {censored}. I cant hear this anymore.

:-)

I agree. DirectX is {censored}. Period.

Here is what I would tell Mr Jobs

I have found that for a novice, it is far easier to work with OSX than Windows; so much easier to install programs, uninstall, and drag and drop makes life so easy for so many. My wife is, I like to think, a typical computer user. She likes to surf the web, simply edit and log her digital photos, do some emailing and create semi monthy newsltters to family (with the help of Pages). She likes to drag and drop and Pages makes it easy to resize photos, text, etc and she finds iTunes so much easier to make playlists, cd, etc. She does not need a high end computer that has a zillion features as well with a high cost. She just likes something that just works. is easy to use and inexpensive. Isn't this why the iPod is so successful? We went out looking for a small portable laptop for her and the price ranges on a Macbook were far more that she wanted to spend and instead we went looking for a laptop with XP.

With this in mind, I would think that Apple could offer a lot to consumers. So many average computer users might prefer an Apple over a regular PC for the same reasons my wife does but they are put off by the higher price. The success of osx86 should serve as a lesson to Mr Jobs. I see a great way he could make a larger impact on the market then what he has now as he has with the iPod.

Here is what I propose. Release OSX as an OS to run on regular PC's much as one would buy a Windows CD or allow a manufacturer, Dell, Gateway, etc, to offer OSX preinstalled on a computer nstead of Windows at the same or similar price. Yes, Apple is first and foremost a hardware company but they need a way to convert the mainstream and by reaching to thier market level.

Then why buy an Apple computer when one can just buy the OS software? Because, as any Windows user knows all to well, some hardware will not work with the OS or there are software conflicts, etc. One cannot make an OS that will work with all possible hardware and software configurations. So with the CD, there is the crevat that there may be the same incompatabilities. An average user like my wife would be happy with a basic OSX and iLife and might not need anthing more and this would not ruin her system but if a person wants a system that "just works", then they would be encouraged to purchase a true Apple system where it has all been configured to work together, no headaches, no incompatabilities.

The ability to add and change hardware so easily is why a more advanced user or avid gamer might stay with Windows or even Linux, to keep the computer on the cutting edge. We all know how hard it was to get ATI graphics working with OSX86 not to mention full QE/CI problems with NVIDIA. If I bought a Apple today with a limited 128mb card, how easy will it be for me to install a 512mb card in the near future?

I know Mr Jobs wants to keep the hardware portion of the business going but it would also helpo him out in the long term if he did release OSX86 for use on a regular PC. These are my thoughts. Interested in hearing yours

Boris

Keep up what you're doing, and as everyone over 22 who has studied marketing knows, never, NEVER, NEVER officially release OSX for non-Apple hardware, or you're just as dead as you were in the mid-90's.