What would you tell Apple?

Swad

55 posts in this topic

Let me choose my components myself, and don't overprice upgrades.

I totally agree with you there. I like to fine tune my unit and Apple hardware is so overpriced. I looked at a Macbook, to upgrade an 60 gb drive to a usable 120gb, Steve Jobs tells me to bend over, grab my ankles and cough up $250.00 For that amount of money, I could get a kicking 500gb drive for windows.

Here is what I propose. Release OSX as an OS to run on regular PC's much as one would buy a Windows CD or allow a manufacturer, Dell, Gateway, etc, to offer OSX preinstalled on a computer nstead of Windows at the same or similar price. Yes, Apple is first and foremost a hardware company but they need a way to convert the mainstream and by reaching to thier market level.

No. Apple will fail if they do that. Remember the mid-1990s? I certainly do. It was not a good time to be an Apple fan-the "clone wars?"

What makes you think it will be any different NOW?

Well, for one thing, I think the computing world is different than it was back then; far more people able to buy a computer and they offer us so much more. Back then, only people who actually needed one and could afford a computer could buy one but now, everyone can buy a computer and even the inexpensive ones can easily outclass anything from the early 1990's. The thing about the clone wars is that Apple wanted to retain to tight a fist on production. After all, Apple is a hardware company. Microsoft is all software. Microsoft is not terribly hurt by having different people make motherboards because Microsoft doesn't. Apple does. It competed against itself. Here, I am saying that Apple does not make that same mistake. This time, there are no clones. A consumer can put OSX on any system (or a good selection) but to keep selling their hardward, their bread and butter, Apple promotes their hardware as the best and also so there would not be any hardware/software conflicts as that plague Windows. We can't all live in the past.

Right now Apple has such a big hype about its name, mainly due to the iPod and with all of us with OSX86 that I think it can make it this time around. I have talked to many people that have looked at an Apple, liked it very much. They like the looks, how the system operates, etc, but then they get sticker shock, something also from the 1990's. As I said, my wife wanted one but then she saw the price and said she could live with a Windows laptop, actually a few of them, at the same price one Macbook would cost. I think I would also switch over except that Steve Jobs screws us all on overpriced hardware. Is this also like the 1990's? If I can build my own OSX for around $400, then why am I willing to shell out another $700??? Oh, so I can get that missing 1% from my graphics card. OK, I have resigned myself to live without dual monitors.

And besides, if Apple is fine keeping it all closed up, they they can also be happy with a 5% market share of computers. Look at all the money they spend on product placement in movies, advertising, promotions, etc and despite a great name recognizability, they only have 5% of the computer market. Ironic sonce there is another computer OS out there that does not advertize, is completely free to use, has almost no name recognizibility with the general public but also has a 5% market share and that is the world of Linux. I am not saying that Apple must give away its OS but just be able to sell it as a viable alternative.