OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

The Ozmosis BIOS has a built in Defaults.plist that contains the MacPro 3,1 definition, and to override that it needs to have loaded into NVRAM, a Defaults.plist from the EFI/Oz directory of the first drive it interrogates (SATA 0), with either a Mac mini or an iMac 13,2 definition. Command+Option+P+R at boot time (easier from the Shell prompt) will load an available /EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist into NVRAM and then restart the PC with the new definition.

It doesn't reload the Defaults.plist at every boot, only when the Cmd+Opt+P+R occurs or a new BIOS is uploaded.

You need to find the filesystem that has boot.efi present.

At the shell prompt type ls fs0:

If you see s System directory you've probably found it. If not try ls fs1:, ls fs2: etc until you do.

Once found, type 'bcfg boot dump' to list your boot list - let's say you already have 3 entries

Replace fsx: below with the fs1: or fs2: etc. where you found the \System folder

now type bcfg boot addp 4 fsx:\Sy and hit the tab key to select System

type Li and hit tab

type Co and hit tab

type Lo and hit tab

type Bo and hit tab

You should now have bcfg boot addp 4 fsx:\System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\

If it didn't work you may be on the wrong files system - try more ls fsx: commands increasing the number for x each time

add boot.efi then a space to the end and finally add your preferred name for the volume in quotes e.g. "Mojave"

You should now have (assuming 4 is the correct value for your system)

bcfg boot addp 4 fsx:\System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi "Mojave"

Press enter. You can type bcfg boot dump to list the entries.

Type reset to reboot and hit F12 to get the boot list again and choose Mojave.

You can then set Mojave as the startup disk in SysPref once booted, and move it to the top in the BIOS boot options as well.

Remember you will also need the KernextPatch.plist in the EFI partition.

Connecting another disk that has an EFI partition may change the filesystem (fsx:) number and invalidate the above.

It's all different for Catalina.....

Edited by ntsmkfob
Several Errors

Thanks @ntsmkfob!

More stream of consciousness…

Eight: I tried cmd-opt-p-r from boot since that’s what I’m used to with a Mac, got a screen I’d never seen before - three large colour blocks with a stylized chip in the upper right corner and “EDK>”.  So I went to the shell as you suggested and typed boot then held down cmd-opt-p-r. The whole screen flashed three colours - I think green then yellow then red but I was so startled I’m not really sure of the colours or the order. It was followed by the Hermit Crab splash screen and text ending in “complete”. Then it went back to the shell.

Nine. I discovered my System folder is on fs2:  And because I removed all the other drives I only have one option (as per the BCFG listing):

VenMedia(long number) “UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell “ OPT

I typed in the command you provided  bcfg boot addp 4 /System/Library/CoreServices/Locked Files/Boot Files/boot.efi "Mojave" (I’m using an old keyboard with a dysfunctional tab key so I typed it manually) and got an error saying
”unknown argument ‘Files/boot.efi’ “

I tried the same command with PC style backslashes “\” but got the same error.
I tried using the mac style of forward slashes “/“ but escaping spaces “\ “ and got the same error.

So I thought if I just navigated to the directory I might be able to issue the command there, but that didn’t work. I was only able to get to \CoreServices directory, there does not appear to be a Locked Files directory. In CoreServices I typed ls L* and got a listing of six items, none of which were Locked Files.

Ten. I went back to Eight and tried everything again. This time i discovered no need to type anything at shell prompt, holding down the keys just does it. I’m now sure the order the screen flashes is Red Yellow Green. But nothing else was different. I do not appear to have a /System/Library/CoreServices/Locked Files/ or /System/Library/CoreServices/Locked Files/Boot Files/ directory and thus cannot make changes to it. I did notice that I *do* have a /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi file however. Is that the one you meant to make changes to?

If not, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

My apologies, I missed part of a statement, and you're right it should be backslashes.

So if you say you found the boot.efi on \System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\ on fs2:

then you need to type into the shell:

bcfg boot addp 4 fs2:\System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi "Mojave"

If you reboot and press F12 to get the boot menu, Mojave should be listed.

As long as you have the Defaults.plist in the /EFI/Oz folder it will have been read into NVRAM and saved when the screen flashed different colours.  You can type 'ls fs2:\EFI' to check for the Oz folder.

Edited by ntsmkfob

3 hours ago, ntsmkfob said:

So if you say you found the boot.efi on \System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\ on fs2:

then you need to type into the shell:

bcfg boot addp 4 fs2:\System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi "Mojave"

Unfortunately, I don’t seem to have that directory. 

I do not have \System\Library\CoreServices\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi

But I do have \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

Should I try to patch that boot.efi instead?

NB: I used edit \System\Library\CoreServices\SystemVersion.plist to confirm that the macOS is 10.14.6

Thanks. 

I looked for fs2:\EFI but there wasn't one. However there was a fs0:\Efi, and a defaults.plist was in there.

So I just went ahead and patched the \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi that was there

bcfg boot ADP 4 fs2:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "MojaveSSD"

Then rebooted.

I used F12 to get a list of boot volumes, and sure enough there was MojaveSSD (that's what I named it).

So I selected it, and got a long string of verbosity on boot, that ended in a white square. I figured it had broken and I went to find my phone so I could take a picture. By the time I located it and got back to the computer, the Mojave login screen was on the monitor. 

YAY SUCCESS!!

Or at least I think it's Success... I haven't tried rebooting yet. But I am typing this reply using Safari on my new Mojave QUO. 

I will submit this reply and then reboot. But in the meantime, THANK YOU @IronManJFF and @ntsmkfob for being patient with my noob questions and hamfisted efforts. I am delighted to have gotten this far.

☺. 

Edited by valiant

Ah well. Premature celebration. QUO will not boot to Mojave a second time. Not as a normal boot, not if I select it using F12, not if I go into the UEFI manager, load defaults (F7), set MojaveSSD as boot volume, nothing. 

I thought maybe I needed to zap PRAM again, so I did that. Evidently that’s not the right thing to do, because the QUO forgot the MojaveSSD.

So I repatched the boot.efi as per above, used bcfg boot dump to confirm it had taken, rebooted using F12 and selected it, and still no go. 

I also opened the defaults.plist edit fs0:\Efi\Oz\defaults.plist and confirmed it matched the one on page 161. 

rereading everything above, I came across 

On 12/31/2019 at 12:30 AM, ntsmkfob said:

Remember you will also need the KernextPatch.plist in the EFI partition.

Maybe that’s the problem? Where do I find the KernextPatch.plist?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, valiant said:

Ah well. Premature celebration. QUO will not boot to Mojave a second time. Not as a normal boot, not if I select it using F12, not if I go into the UEFI manager, load defaults (F7), set MojaveSSD as boot volume, nothing. 

I thought maybe I needed to zap PRAM again, so I did that. Evidently that’s not the right thing to do, because the QUO forgot the MojaveSSD.

So I repatched the boot.efi as per above, used bcfg boot dump to confirm it had taken, rebooted using F12 and selected it, and still no go. 

I also opened the defaults.plist edit fs0:\Efi\Oz\defaults.plist and confirmed it matched the one on page 161. 

Thanks!

Hey there, thanks for all you help folks, I followed all this thread, and I confirm, it works for High Sierra 10.13.6 with Ozmosis Catalina rom.
@valiant, I was having the issue like you, booting only from boot menu after pressing F12.
It worked like a charm after add KernextPatcher.plist and Defaults.plist (edited with prefEdit to add my s/n and UUID) to Efi\Oz\ after that reboot to EFI Shell, add \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi entry like @ntsmkfob explained before here(

),  NVRAM time pressing Cmd+Opt+P+R, blinking screen three colors, >reset <enter> and Voilà! booting smooth...

4 hours ago, valiant said:

Thanks!

KernextPatch.plist the same from your previous post...

Sorry - another error on my part! The Locked Files\Boot Files bit was to get the install restarted, and isn't present after the install completes. Glad you worked through it. You usually only need to zap the PRAM to load a modified Defaults.plist. If you install a new BIOS image, it zaps the PRAM and your BIOS settings anyway.

@IronManJFF I'm starting to refresh on the process and i'm looking into your release.

I have two of these boards. The second was one of The King's prototypes that I've put together for my son. Understanding that The King's old board was probably flashed to death, I want to get the configuration perfect on my machine so I can do it once on his.

I'm doing a refresh on both. I do a fair amount of video editing and my son is starting to play games on his.  I hear the RX590 isn't too bad of a card. I know these things were very particular even between brands. Do you have any suggestions for particular cards that I should look into purchasing.

Still not booting. 

I finally found the KernextPatches.plist and copied it to fs0:\Efi\Oz\ next to the defaults.plist. 

But I still can’t boot Mojave. 

I reflashed the BIOS to make sure I had the XMAX-E ROM loaded - version H20.1512242359, then reloaded optimized defaults. 

Now of course it lost the patched boot drive so I exited to shell and typed fs2:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi to see if I could get it to boot that way. 

All I got was a black screen. I left it for 15 minutes in case it was really slow to boot, but that didn’t help. 

Then I found this on page 148:

On 6/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, IronManJFF said:

Step #3

Adding the new boot entry

Now issue theses commands (replacing italic by values we found earlier)

fsn:
bcfg boot addp highest number +1 System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "Name that you want to appear in F12 Menu"

I had previously used bcfg boot addp 4, but since I only have 1 SSD mounted right now, I only have one boot entry. So I did it with 2 instead. 

bcfg boot addp 2 fs2:\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "MojaveSSD"

And confirmed with bcfg boot dump that it was there. I then did a reset and using F12 selected MojaveSSD to boot.

Still no luck. Just a blank screen. 

So.

• I have a vanilla install of Mojave on the only drive in the QUO.

• I have the XMAX-E ROM loaded. 

• I have defaults.plist and KernextPatcher.plist in /Efi/Oz/ partition.
But

• I do not have a video card installed, I’m just using the onboard HD4000, but I don’t think that’s a problem as Mojave 10.14.6 seems to have drivers for it since I had it running once before.

• I do not have /Efi/APPLE/ or /Efi/Quo/ directories. Is that a problem?

• I do not have any changes to the BIOS settings except for load defaults.

What am I overlooking? What should I try next?

Thanks. 

Good catch! 

It didn’t solve the problem though.

I used mv to move KernextPatcher.plist out of \Efi\Oz\ to \Efi\

[Interesting note: there is now an /Efi/APPLE/ directory with an Extensions folder in it. I don’t know how or when that got added...]

I then reset and used F12 to boot to shell, reset the PRAM (no mention if that was necessary, but just to be safe), and then added the extra boot option back in again.

Rebooted to the UEFI manager, loaded optimal settings, set boot volume to MojaveSSD, rebooted, and...  nothing.

So.

• I have a vanilla install of Mojave on the only drive in the QUO.

• I have the XMAX-E ROM loaded. 

• I have defaults.plist in /Efi/Oz/ partition.

• I have KernextPatcher.plist in /Efi/ partition.

• I now have an /Efi/APPLE/ directory.

But

• I do not have /Efi/Quo/ directory. Is that a problem?

• I do not have any changes to the BIOS settings except for load defaults.

Also

• I created the SSD on a MacBookPro9,1 - not by using a USB installer. Is that a problem?

And the QUO still does not boot.

What am I doing wrong? What can I try next?

Thanks. 

I've don't recall ever having a /EFI/QUO folder, so that's not it.

I don't have your graphics card, but it maybe that you need Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext in your /Library/Extensions folder.

Make sure you chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/* and chmod -R 755 /Library/Extensions/* after copying/moving them there.

Then touch /Library/Extensions to rebuild the cache.

Don't put them in /System/Library/Extensions

You could also add -v to the boot-args in your Defaults.plist (and do a Ctl+Opt+P+R to reload it into NVRAM). this might give us an idea of where your boot hangs. Give it at least 30 minutes to see if the boot continues.

You could also add nv_disable=1 to the boot-args as well. I have it but I don't remember if it is a legacy or a requirement. Worth a try anyway!

Okay here is a short way to install Catalina on this board as promised.

1.- Install a compatible video card, Catalina won't boot with the internal, remember that Nvidia don't have drivers for it. THIS IS A MUST! ( this apply to

Mojave also)       

2.- Would be a good idea to have only the drive where you are going to install Catalina and you must install it to sata 0.

3.- Flash the mobo with the ROM provided here. ( The Ozmosis Defaults in it is the original macpro3,1, you must replace it with a Defaults.plist actualized,

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb, you could do this on the ROM or in the EFI folder.

This ROM have kernexpatcher included, you don't need to install it on EFI.

4.- You must install WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext on the EFI\Oz\Darwin\Extension\Common folder, you can do this from the 

Shell or attaching the drive to a existing Mac system and opening the EFI folder there.

5.- Reload the NVRAM doing a CTL+OPT+P+R. Go to settings and choose PEG as video default IPEG could be automatic or disabled.

6.- Install Catalina ( always use the last release )

7.- Probably between reboots installing you are going to need to boot from the Shell to the macOS Install Data, the command is as follow

"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" ( you can add -v after the quotation mark if you want verbose )

Sometimes the installation of Catalina mess with the NVRAM, if so reload the NVRAM and reboot. Enjoy.:thumbsup_anim:

Whatever Green and Lilu.zip

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Edited by elviejo

10 hours ago, elviejo said:

3.- Flash the mobo with the ROM provided here. ( The Ozmosis Defaults in it is the original macpro3,1, you must replace it with a Defaults.plist actualized,

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb

I have it set to iMac13,2. Should I set it to MacMini8,1 instead? Also I don’t understand about the limitations on USB. What are they (if it’s not a quick answer, is there a link explaining that, maybe)? Note I am not interested in Catalina at this time.

Thanks!

Edited by valiant
Problem solved, questions were unneeded

OK, well, colour me an idiot.

I finally installed the Vega 56, and that is where the problem lay.

I found an old HDMI cable (I had been using DVI-D on my monitor, and the Vega doesn't have that) fired everything up and here we are.

2080410941_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_26_03PM.png.e116eea4e71ad4afd17163ef826df489.png

So thank you all for your patience, and I am here to confirm that NO, the onboard HD4000 graphics of the QUO motherboard do NOT work under Mojave. I don't know why it worked that one time, but that was it: once things were installed, it no longer accessed the graphics.

The Vega works just fine, and is -much- faster.

--

So, new problem.

Wifi.

I had a working TP-Link WDN4800 PCI-e 1x Wireless N card in slot 3, the PCIEX1_2 slot. 

Because the GTX770 was only two slots wide but the Vega 56 is three slots wide, I had to move it to slot 4, the PCIEX8 slot. It is not being seen.

252084905_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_21_39PM.png.9797acdf3df51ba243bd957e9acc883b.png

I understood that the PCI spec supported putting smaller cards in larger slots, so the PCIE1 card should work in a PCIE8 slot. Am I mistaken or could it be a driver problem?

Ethernet and Bluetooth works just fine, but I'd like to have the wifi working too if possible.

What should I try?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, elviejo said:

Okay here is a short way to install Catalina on this board as promised.

1.- Install a compatible video card, Catalina won't boot with the internal, remember that Nvidia don't have drivers for it. THIS IS A MUST! ( this apply to

Mojave also)       

2.- Would be a good idea to have only the drive where you are going to install Catalina and you must install it to sata 0.

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb, you could do this on the ROM or in the EFI folder.

This ROM have kernexpatcher included, you don't need to install it on EFI.

4.- You must install WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext on the EFI\Oz\Darwin\Extension\Common folder, you can do this from the 

Shell or attaching the drive to a existing Mac system and opening the EFI folder there.

5.- Reload the NVRAM doing a CTL+OPT+P+R. Go to settings and choose PEG as video default IPEG could be automatic or disabled.

6.- Install Catalina ( always use the last release )

7.- Probably between reboots installing you are going to need to boot from the Shell to the macOS Install Data, the command is as follow

"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" ( you can add -v after the quotation mark if you want verbose )

Sometimes the installation of Catalina mess with the NVRAM, if so reload the NVRAM and reboot. Enjoy.:thumbsup_anim:

Whatever Green and Lilu.zip

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Not really..3 QUO motherboard without ext Video Card..

22.jpg

9 hours ago, valiant said:

OK, well, colour me an idiot.

I finally installed the Vega 56, and that is where the problem lay.

I found an old HDMI cable (I had been using DVI-D on my monitor, and the Vega doesn't have that) fired everything up and here we are.

2080410941_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_26_03PM.png.e116eea4e71ad4afd17163ef826df489.png

So thank you all for your patience, and I am here to confirm that NO, the onboard HD4000 graphics of the QUO motherboard do NOT work under Mojave. I don't know why it worked that one time, but that was it: once things were installed, it no longer accessed the graphics.

The Vega works just fine, and is -much- faster.

--

So, new problem.

Wifi.

I had a working TP-Link WDN4800 PCI-e 1x Wireless N card in slot 3, the PCIEX1_2 slot. 

Because the GTX770 was only two slots wide but the Vega 56 is three slots wide, I had to move it to slot 4, the PCIEX8 slot. It is not being seen.

252084905_ScreenShot2020-01-04at11_21_39PM.png.9797acdf3df51ba243bd957e9acc883b.png

I understood that the PCI spec supported putting smaller cards in larger slots, so the PCIE1 card should work in a PCIE8 slot. Am I mistaken or could it be a driver problem?

Ethernet and Bluetooth works just fine, but I'd like to have the wifi working too if possible.

What should I try?

Thanks.

TP-Link WDN4800 not now supported in Mojave, according to 'another' site. You can install the High Sierra 1080211Family.kext in /Library/Extensions. Google 'osx86 TP-Link WDN4800'.

5 hours ago, KMS said:

Not really..3 QUO motherboard without ext Video Card..

22.jpg

Hmm. Now I don't know what to say. I was so certain before that it couldn't work based on my experience.

Let's just say I found it easier using an AMD graphics card...

8 hours ago, ntsmkfob said:

TP-Link WDN4800 not now supported in Mojave, according to 'another' site. You can install the High Sierra 1080211Family.kext in /Library/Extensions. Google 'osx86 TP-Link WDN4800'.

Hmm.

Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me. I found the 1080211Family.kext and dropped it into BootDrive/Library/Extensions/ (I assume there rather than somewhere in /EFI/ partition?). I then rebuilt permissions and rebooted. No sign of the card, so I deleted the kext and downloaded a kext utility and used that to install it instead in case I had done something wrong. Reboot, no card.

What am I doing wrong? (As you can tell, I have a long history of doing it wrong... ;)

Thanks!

PS The card has green leds lit up, so it is getting power...

PPS I tried putting the 1080211Family.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/ and that did not help either.

Edited by valiant

21 hours ago, valiant said:

Thanks for the tip, but it's not working for me. I found the 1080211Family.kext and dropped it into BootDrive/Library/Extensions/ (I assume there rather than somewhere in /EFI/ partition?). I then rebuilt permissions and rebooted. No sign of the card, so I deleted the kext and downloaded a kext utility and used that to install it instead in case I had done something wrong. Reboot, no card.

Are there any other approaches I can take to try to make this work?

Thanks.