OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Wow.

May be a bad ram stick. 

I took out all ram, then put a stick back in slot 1. No change. Took stick out and replaced with another - got to the replace boot screen. 

Tentative woo-hoo. Now to see if I can remember everything I learnt in the last month to get it up and running again. 

All right.

• Restore original ROM and load defaults, with monitor plugged into mobo HDMI.

• Update ROM to XMAX-E using UEFI utility.

• Boot to shell, figure out where boot.efi lives and use bcfg boot addp command to add "MojaveSSD" to NVRAM.

• Reboot, wonder why no video, remember need video card. Shut down, install Vega 56 & PCI extension cable, then realize space is so tight the video card overlaps the RAM lock tabs when they are open. Correct.

• Reboot again to UEFI interface, set MojaveSSD to boot 1, save and exit.

• Watch verbose text, boot to Mac OS Mojave.

Obviously I have to figure out if I really have a bad RAM stick, or if just removing and replacing it was enough to solve the problem. Once RAM is sorted, it's back to where I was.

Thank you for all your patience. I would not have been able to recover from this so quickly if you guys hadn't helped me as much as you did. I have a better understanding of the relationship between the UEFI, /Efi/ and the OS. Not a -good- understanding, but better... ;) 

Thanks!

Quick update: I have a PCI Broadcom BCM94360CD card, and wifi and bluetooth are working - I've got AirDrop to work, yay.

I am still booting off the "reference" SSD, I haven't tackled the Mojave-over-Yosemite complications yet, so HDMI audio works OOTB (I'm actually using DisplayPort, but I assume it should be the same).

Best practice question: when I was researching getting the wifi to work properly, I came across a recommendation to put the IO80211Family.kext into /Library/Extensions.

But I remember your recommendation to put lilu & whatevergreen into /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/ so that's where I put the .kext instead. It seems to work there.

However: is that the best place for it, or should I move it to /Library/Extensions?

Functionality question: I'm not quite sure what lilu and whatevergreen do. Do they offer improved performance over a vanilla install? I have not installed them in the reference SSD.

Thanks.

Edited by valiant
Clarity

3 hours ago, valiant said:

Quick update: I have a PCI Broadcom BCM94360CD card, and wifi and bluetooth are working - I've got AirDrop to work, yay.

Best practice question: when I was researching getting the wifi to work properly, I came across a recommendation to put the IO80211Family.kext into /Library/Extensions.

Best practice : It works out-of-the-box without the need of any added kext, so leave it alone. There is no need to put/move IO80211Family.kext anywhere. That is what I call random shooting! Not sure what you actually did (picking some kext somewhere or move Apple's kext) but you should undo it.

Functionality question: I'm not quite sure what lilu and whatevergreen do. Do they offer improved performance over a vanilla install? I have not installed them in the reference SSD.

Liliu is an open source kernel extension bringing a platform for arbitrary kext, library, and program patching throughout the system for macOS.

WhateverGreen is is a Lilu plugin providing patches to select GPUs on macOS. 

3 hours ago, valiant said:

But I remember your recommendation to put lilu & whatevergreen into /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/ so that's where I put the .kext instead. It seems to work there.

We put it in this location, so it is also available to MacOS Installers ...

Edited by IronManJFF

3 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Liliu is an open source kernel extension bringing a platform for arbitrary kext, library, and program patching throughout the system for macOS.

WhateverGreen is is a Lilu plugin providing patches to select GPUs on macOS. 

OK, thanks. Does Vega 56 need WhateverGreen patches? Are there other patches that I need?

Edited by valiant

Moving active /Efi/ volume?

I have an SSD and two fusion drives. All are capable of booting Mojave now and are formatted APFS.

The SSD is empty except for the Mojave install, I consider it the "reference" install.

I have a 4.12 TB fusion drive that also has a "clean" install of Mojave (originally a clone of the Mojave SSD), but it also has some additional data files. I will eventually undo the fusion aspect and have a separate 4TB HD and 120GB SSD.

I have a 6.12 TB fusion drive that formerly booted Yosemite, and has my working setup, all my registered software, interface customizations, etc. That will remain a fusion drive and my intent is that it will end up my working boot drive. The Mojave install over Yosemite has some problems, such as no working audio over HDMI. There are probably other weirdnesses too that I haven't found yet.

I have another 4TB storage drive formatted HFS+ that will stay that way, and a blu-ray burner. That adds up to 7 SATA connections so I can't run all of them at the same time.

The active /Efi/ volume (with added .kexts etc.) is on the reference SSD on SATA 0, and I will want to eventually remove the SSD to use elsewhere and drop down to only 6 SATA drives.

But when I unplug the SSD the Mac won't boot. Not even to the UEFI interface.

I would like to move the active /Efi/ volume from the reference SSD to the SSD portion of the fusion drive.

What is the best way to do that?

Thanks.

Edited by valiant
Clarity

On 1/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, valiant said:

May be a bad ram stick. 

I took out all ram, then put a stick back in slot 1. No change. Took stick out and replaced with another - got to the replace boot screen. 

Replaced the RAM sticks 1 by 1, rebooting between each step, and all 4 are back in and the QUO is still booting. So I don’t know what happened there, but I’m glad I don’t have to buy more RAM. 

17 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Best practice : It works out-of-the-box without the need of any added kext, so leave it alone. There is no need to put/move IO80211Family.kext anywhere. That is what I call random shooting! Not sure what you actually did (picking some kext somewhere or move Apple's kext) but you should undo it.

That does not match my experience. There is a file called IO80211FamilyV2.kext in /S/L/E but it does not seem to apply to my situation. 

When I take out IO80211Family.kext I have no WiFi.

If I put it in the boot path I have WiFi.

If I put it in /Efi/etc/Common it works for all boot volumes. If I take it out of there and put it in /L/E/ I have it for only that boot volume (I assume that is expected behavior).

But if I don’t have it anywhere I don’t have WiFi. 

I'd be curious to see an IOREG dump (or in System Report) of your working wifi to see what it matches against.

I've had an Apple BCM94360CD that I bought from osxwifi.com and it always did worked OOTB.

I'll post a screenshot when I get home

Edited by IronManJFF

@valiant and @IronManJFF,

Likewise, my Fenvi FV-T919, (with BCM94360CD), WiFi-AC & Bluetooth 4 PCI-e x1 Card works OOTB.  I needed NO additional Kexts NOR Patches for MacOS.

I DID have to have professional assistance, (on the other hand), getting the Fenvi Windows 7 Drivers installed.  ($29 Labor, USD.)  The guys I took my System to

had NO issues, (unlike myself), in getting the Windows Drivers functional in my Win 7 Pro SP-1 x64 side.

The Fenvi Card got EXCELLENT reviews for MacOS compatibility.  In "About this Mac" --->  "System Report", "WiFi":  The Card comes up as seen by MacOS as

"Airport Extreme, BCM94360CD".  I HIGHLY recommend the Fenvi FV-T919 Card for all Hackintoshes.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

[From System Report on my Hackintosh]

[WiFi:]

Software Versions:
  CoreWLAN:    13.0 (1350.2)
  CoreWLANKit:    13.0 (1350.2)
  Menu Extra:    13.0 (1370.4)
  System Information:    12.0 (1300.1)
  IO80211 Family:    12.0 (1200.12.2)
  Diagnostics:    1.0 (805)
  AirPort Utility:    6.3.8 (638.9)

Interfaces:
en1:
  Card Type:    AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0x133)
  Firmware Version:    Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.33.1a1)

Locale:    FCC
  Country Code:    X0

Supported PHY Modes:    802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
  Supported Channels:    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
  Wake On Wireless:    Supported
  AirDrop:    Supported
  AirDrop Channel:    0
  Auto Unlock:    Supported

[Bluetooth:]

Apple Bluetooth Software Version:    6.0.7f16
  Hardware, Features, and Settings:
  Name:    <Redacted>
  Address:    <Redacted>
  Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:    Yes
  Handoff Supported:    Yes
  Instant Hot Spot Supported:    Yes
  Manufacturer:    Broadcom
  Transport:    USB
  Chipset:    20703A1
  Firmware Version:    v167 c4821
  Bluetooth Power:    On
  Discoverable:    Off
  Connectable:    Yes
  Auto Seek Pointing:    On
  Remote wake:    On
  Vendor ID:    0x05AC
  Product ID:    0x8290
  HCI Version:    4.2 (0x8)
  HCI Revision:    0x12D5
  LMP Version:    4.2 (0x8)
  LMP Subversion:    0x21A7
  Device Type (Major):    Computer
  Device Type (Complete):    Mac Desktop
  Composite Class Of Device:    0x380104
  Device Class (Major):    0x01
  Device Class (Minor):    0x01
  Service Class:    0x1C0
  Auto Seek Keyboard:    On

TimeLord04

Edited by TimeLord04
Additional Information on Fenvi Card.

23 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

I'd be curious to see an IOREG dump (or in System Report) of your working wifi to see what it matches against.

I've had an Apple BCM94360CD that I bought from osxwifi.com and it always did worked OOTB.

I'll post a screenshot when I get home

I'm not quite sure how to provide what you're asking for. Is this it? If not, let me know how to, and I will.

132900268_ScreenShot2020-01-27at10_59_40PM.png.889729a217964da1a421933b17d2b2d5.png

EDIT: Hmm. I just noticed that the entry IO80211 Family entry says "Not installed".

Edited by valiant

I figured out how to get the default /Efi/ folder onto the SSD portion of the portion of the fusion drive.

The things that don't work on the Mojave over Yosemite install but do work on the clean Mojave install are:

• HDMI audio

• There's weirdness going on with tabs (they're dark and show blocky tearing when you hover mouse over them)

• Online video (local video seems to be OK)

1447327191_ScreenShot2020-01-28at12_01_03PM.png.9a67b68f06aec9e3b4b7886d9e31f038.png

So it all seems to be do with the video card - perhaps the driver?

(There may be more, but I haven't found it yet.)

How do I troubleshoot this? Is there a way to compare what's installed in the reference version versus the fusion version?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, valiant said:

I found a utility called IORegistryExplorer on another site, and this is what it provides (it looks pretty similar to yours):

From which setup ? It is meaningless without context...

Is it from your 'Pure' Mojave , with or without added kext ?

...and it looks like you are loading High Sierra drivers.

Edited by IronManJFF

On 1/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, IronManJFF said:

Check if your values matches this ...especially device-id

image.thumb.png.3dec6772ddec343b61d612031fb90cd5.png

Sorry I took so long to get back - I had to wrangle the Wifi card so it would fit in the case (Sugru is my friend), and then I made the mistake of installing the latest security update which reset things so it wouldn't boot again until I fixed things.

This is going to be graphics heavy, because I don't know what I'm looking for, so I did a 4-way comparison: 

Fusion drive with IO80211Family.kext in /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/

- 2 screenshots as per the ones provided

Fusion drive with kext removed

- 1 screenshot because the ioRegistry for the 80211 family didn't exist

Reference drive with IO80211Family.kext in /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/

- 2 screenshots as per provided

Reference drive with kext removed

- 1 screenshot

I'm not informed enough to know what I'm trying to spot or compare, so here we go:

Fusion drive with IO80211Family.kext screenshots (HDMI audio not working, weird tab display, online video not working):

fusion-drive-io-kext-in-common-BrcmNIC.thumb.png.e23300e89ee729dc8ce2f92a54f72d6c.png

239733740_fusion-drive-io-kext-in-common-pxs3.thumb.png.2f3871ecccf95c0bc688af037678b115.png

Fusion drive with IO80211Family.kext removed.

fusion-drive-io-kext-removed.thumb.png.3d8cd8e0b24471b092c120ed815c76d6.png

And here is the reference drive with working HDMI audio, clean tabs and working online video, -- IO80211Family.kext is in /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/

reference-drive-io-kext-in-common-BrcmNIC.thumb.png.a67c95a34384cfc457b586641494cf1a.png

2120049391_reference-drive-io-kext-in-common-pxs3.thumb.png.1025c9dc3ac162fbe9be3050971c0d3e.png

Here is the reference screenshot (again, no 80211 available):

reference-drive-io-kext-removed.thumb.png.6c2fc480c9d7cd4ab6f42270f9241d34.png

From what I am seeing in IOService it should work OOTB without the need to do anything unless you have messed with Apple's kext ins /S/L/E cause when you put High Sierra's kext in /EFI/Oz... it matches against the same exact values  that the Mojave kext should match.

Can you remove the kext in /EFI from SATA0,0 and reboot 

once rebooted in Terminal ... this is to ensure that the kernel cache will be rebuilt 

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
(enter your password)
sudo shutdown -R NOW
(that will restart your computer)

after that in Terminal (best to cut&paste the commands as capitalization matters )

cd desktop
system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType SPAirPortDataType SPExtensionsDataType -xml -detaillevel mini > KextReport.spx

It will create a KextReport.spx file on your desktop.. compress it and send it

Edited by IronManJFF

On 1/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, IronManJFF said:

after that in Terminal (best to cut&paste the commands as capitalization matters )

cd desktop
system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType SPAirPortDataType SPExtensionsDataType -xml -detaillevel mini > KextReport.spx

It will create a KextReport.spx file on your desktop.. compress it and send it

(I have learned to paste the commands into BBEdit and clean them up before trying them - this forum software seems to like to insert invisible characters...)

The system profile has been attached. Right now because the kext has been removed there is no wifi - I don't know if that affects things.

I glanced through the output, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I searched on Airport and towards the end there was Atheros40.

NOTE: this report is from the fusion drive. I will now go do it from the reference SSD.

KextReport.spx.zip

Edited by valiant
spelling, followup

You know what: you are so convinced this should work OOTB I'm going to wipe my boot SSD and reinstall Mojave. That way I can eliminate the possibility that I screwed something up earlier when I was trying to get the USB wifi dongle to do Airport.

EDIT: AFTER I generate the Airport System Report for the reference SSD...

Edited by valiant

I have attached the report from the reference SSD install.

I compared the two in BBEdit, and there are some notable differences, but I don't know what I'm looking for so I don't know what's significant. For instance, I doubt if the Wacom tablet kext is a problem, but you never know... ;). I have been having other problems with my video displays, not just the HDMI sound.

One interesting thing is that the reference boots with both monitors (I have a 4k & a 1080p at the moment) at full resolution, but the fusion drive doesn't "see" the 1080p monitor so it stays dark, and the 4k monitor boots to 2560x1440 and doesn't have any options for higher resolutions.

Anyway, I'm off to do another clean install of Mojave on the SSD. It'll be interesting to see if it leaves the Oz folder in /Efi/. I hope this doesn't break things. I can't get the fusion drive to boot without the SSD in Sata0. In fact, I can't even get to the UEFI interface without the SSD in Sata0. 

KextReport.spx.zip

43 minutes ago, valiant said:

Anyway, I'm off to do another clean install of Mojave on the SSD. It'll be interesting to see if it leaves the Oz folder in /Efi/. I hope this doesn't break things. I can't get the fusion drive to boot without the SSD in Sata0. In fact, I can't even get to the UEFI interface without the SSD in Sata0. 

it won't touch it unless you erase the disk in Disk Utility

Spot Checking your report .. I see that ...

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext is missing .. that explains why you have no WiFI... that kext also contains /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext which is what makes it work OOTB.

You should have 

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext 

AND

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211FamilyV2.kext

and it looks like you added

/Library/Extensions/AirPortAtheros40.kext it should not be there.

Edited by IronManJFF

4 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

You should have 

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext 

AND

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211FamilyV2.kext

I can now confirm that a clean install of Mojave has both of those.

4 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

and it looks like you added

/Library/Extensions/AirPortAtheros40.kext it should not be there.

The AirPortAtheros40.kext must have been put there by the driver software for the USB WiFi adapter I previously tried.

Thanks!