OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2020 at 6:14 PM, TimeLord04 said:

Well, just checked your Link and it is the Flashing Service for

Radeon by MacVidCards.  I'm quite shocked that it's $175.

I've looked into their Flashing Services in the past for NVIDIA,

I've always remembered about $105 for Flashing most NVIDIA

Cards.  WOW what a price shock!

Yeah. I paid CAD$360 for it on Black Friday sale*. At current exchange US$175 is CAD$235. USPS shipping is another US$65 / CAD$87. Add import duties, the 2.5% PayPal exchange fee, 5% GST and it comes to around CAD$340. That's $700 total for the card and I'm not convinced it's worth it.

That being said, do you find value in having a flashed card?

* Sigh. I just checked the Memory Express website, and it's on for the same price, but now with a $30 mail in rebate. Ah well...

Edited by valiant
Asterisk

Well, the Carbon Copy Cloner restoration did not do what I hoped it would. User folders copied over, but not user accounts (i.e. the files are there, but when I reboot the users are not)*. Neither did the Applications folder come over from the backup, so I don't have to worry about licensing because there's nothing to license.

I think I'm going to have to start Migration Assistant all over again with a wiped fusion drive. This time maybe I'll try copying over 1 account at a time? Does MA even support that - can I do one account at a time and not screw things up?

Any other suggestions? Keep in mind it took 48 hours using MA, which failed and only copied 400 GB out of 5.7 TB, and it took 24 hours using CCC which copied user files but not functionality.

* By default I always create an Admin account when I set up a "new" Mac. I used to always call them "admin", but there's a certain security risk there because it's so obvious, so lately I've called them something else just for variety (and it turns out when I'm booting into so many different volumes trying to figure this out, having different admin names helps me figure out which drive grabbed the boot sequence even before I log in). In this case I seem to have created 2 admin accounts, and I have 2 user accounts, so that's 4 accounts to migrate over from the backup.

And I guess it's not surprising the users are not "bootable" - that would require messing with the System installation and CCC explicitly says it doesn't do that in this scenario.

But I'm surprised the Applications folder did not copy over.

If it works I would not flash it.

These flashing services are mostly for real MacPros. WhateverGreen probably does/will do  the same thing for you.

BTW where are u ?.. I am in Montreal (actually Laval, north of Montreal)

Yes Migration Assistant will let you move 1 user at a time (Migration Assistant will create the user and not only restore the files ) .. eh have you checked that your backup drive is ok with Disk Utility ?

Hey all,

Long time lurker, though I haven’t been very active in years. I bought a Quo motherboard back in the day, and it’s been very stable on 10.8, then later on 10.10 with one of the earlier Ozmosis BIOSes. 

But the day has finally come where I need to be on High Sierra to get support for a few specific apps (ProTools chief among them.) It’s pretty difficult to wade through this entire thread, so I’m hoping someone more experienced can help distill it for me.

Is there a more current BIOS that does support High Sierra? My reading indicates that APFS support is one of the sticky subjects, perhaps along with switching to an iMac13,2 or MacMini(6,1?) profile where I’m currently set up as a MacPro3,1 (I believe.) 

There’s just an overwhelming amount of info here, I need help getting pointed in the right direction at least. Thanks y’all!

4 hours ago, valiant said:

Yeah. I paid CAD$360 for it on Black Friday sale. At current exchange US$175 is CAD$235. USPS shipping is another US$65 / CAD$87. Add import duties, the 2.5% PayPal exchange fee, 5% GST and it comes to around CAD$340. That's $700 total for the card and I'm not convinced it's worth it.

That being said, do you find value in having a flashed card?

I bought Pre-Flashed for the GTX-1070 as "Fire Insurance".  I wanted

to guarantee that I would get 'Boot Screen' on the Hackintosh side.

As @IronManJFF states, the Pre-Flashed Cards, or having an off the

shelf Card Flashed at all is more in line for Mac Pro Systems.

(Off the shelf PC GPUs in Macs "usually" yield a Black Screen

during Bootup.)  I had to find a used Pre-Flashed GTX-970 for my

Mac Pro 5,1, (Mid 2010), System.  I got it off e-Bay for $329.

At the time, MacVidCards was over $340 for the same GPU.

NOW MacVidCards has the Pre-Flashed GTX-970 for

$325.

TimeLord04

13 minutes ago, pkatzman said:

Hey all,

Long time lurker, though I haven’t been very active in years. I bought a Quo motherboard back in the day, and it’s been very stable on 10.8, then later on 10.10 with one of the earlier Ozmosis BIOSes. 

But the day has finally come where I need to be on High Sierra to get support for a few specific apps (ProTools chief among them.) It’s pretty difficult to wade through this entire thread, so I’m hoping someone more experienced can help distill it for me.

Is there a more current BIOS that does support High Sierra? My reading indicates that APFS support is one of the sticky subjects, perhaps along with switching to an iMac13,2 or MacMini(6,1?) profile where I’m currently set up as a MacPro3,1 (I believe.) 

There’s just an overwhelming amount of info here, I need help getting pointed in the right direction at least. Thanks y’all!

Start from ...

My set up is all good with the exception of graphics glitching (GTX660ti, yeah, I know) and my external USB drives show up as internal. I built the nvram from the defaults.plist from a few pages back and removed my old DSDT and SSDT files from /EFI/ from my Yosemite/MacPro3,1 days.  Any thoughts or suggestions for this AHCI/XHCI oddity?

only thing that immediately stands out in my set up is I’ve been using imac14,2 instead of 13,2 and don’t recall why I changed that. Will try 13,2 and see if anything changes greatly.

Edit: Well, smbios imac13,2 corrects USB disk identification, but breaks the Bluetooth function of my WiFi/BT card (from a MacBook Pro) that’s mounted in a PCI-E adapter. I’m guessing it relates to USB bus identification controlled by smbios, though I’m not sure how to proceed.

Edited by jcarnell

21 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

These flashing services are mostly for real MacPros. WhateverGreen probably does/will do  the same thing for you.

Ah! That makes sense. OK, I won't worry about it. The one advantage I saw to the flashing service was that it allowed the PCI bus to operate at full speed.

1. When installed in a Mac Pro a stock PC GPU will only be able to utilize the outdated PCIe 1.0 format. A card flashed with a Mac BIOS will be able to work at PCIe 2.0 speeds, supporting twice the data rate.

But as I reread that it refers specifically to a Mac Pro - I don't know if that applies to the QUO also.

BTW where are u ?.. I am in Montreal (actually Laval, north of Montreal)

Calgary, in the Beltline. 11 minute walk from the Ship and Anchor pub. :)

Yes Migration Assistant will let you move 1 user at a time (Migration Assistant will create the user and not only restore the files )

I wiped the fusion drive and cloned a working boot from the reference SSD, then first used MA to install the Application and System Files, which seemed to work. I have been moving over the users one at a time, starting with the least important ones. Last night I moved my second-most important user, with a user folder size of 1.55 TB. It was nominally successful (things like desktop preferences did not copy, which may be indicative of deeper problems, but the software I checked launched without asking to be re-registered, so that's good).

...eh have you checked that your backup drive is ok with Disk Utility ?

That's a good idea! I'm pretty sure I ran First Aid on the backup drive while it was attached to my laptop, but there's no harm in running it again. And... "Operation Successful."

So far HDMI sound and online video (e.g. the InsanelyMac video that pops up in lower right hand corner) are working just fine, which is something I appreciate.

Edited by valiant
flow

20 hours ago, pkatzman said:

I feel you, man. I was in exactly the same position when it came time to upgrade from Yosemite to Mojave. 

I found and loaded RehabMan's USB Inject All kext and copied it to /EFI/Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common and rebooted. The "missing" internal USB2 hub was then found and is now present along with the bluetooth half of the card.

The only issue remaining issue on my system is, of course, graphics glitching from the GTX 660Ti. Any suggestions for a more Catalina compatible graphics card (that isn't $400)?

4 hours ago, jcarnell said:

The only issue remaining issue on my system is, of course, graphics glitching from the GTX 660Ti. Any suggestions for a more Catalina compatible graphics card (that isn't $400)?

Mojave and Catalina don't like Nvidia cards, Radeon is preferred. High Sierra can use either. I'm on Mojave and since I wanted to run dual 4k monitors I went with a Radeon Vega 56. The Radeon RX580 seems to be pretty popular and is available from around US$160 on Amazon. I can't tell from the specs if it will run more than one 4k monitor at once, but it may meet your needs, and it has DVI-D if you have an older monitor. I went with Gigabyte.

There's plenty of options out there - good luck!

Edited by valiant

On 2/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, valiant said:

The Radeon RX580 seems to be pretty popular and is available from around US$160 on Amazon.

Good call. Picked one up this evening and installed. EZPZ. HDMI audio still works and HDCP content plays in TV.

8 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

@jcarnell

Please make a build signature 

@jcarnell

Sig all made up. Thanks for the call out regarding the different internal USB headers.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, IronManJFF said:

@pkatzman

@jcarnell

Please make a build signature 

@jcarnell

I believe I've got a signature built now, and I installed your BIOS. Thanks for that!

Having some issues, though. I've tried two methods: 1) createinstallmedia to put HS or Mojave on a flash drive, boot from that on AOS mobo and install to SSD, and 2)boot from USB installer on a 2018 macbook pro, install to SSD in USB caddy, then put SSD into AOS rig. 

In either case, I. am unable to boot from either the USB installer (HS or Mojave), or boot off a drive with either one installed. I always get the crossed-out circle on boot.

I'm guessing this has something to do with my system profile (on my last working setup) being MacPro 3,1 still. What's unclear to me is how to change this, I suppose in the UEFI shell - this setting exists outside of a macOS install correct? Sorry for my dumb questions, and I appreciate the help. Trust me, once this is built, this boot drive is getting cloned and I'm not touching anything again for several years!

Edited by pkatzman

@pkatzman

You need lilu and whatevergreen (and appleALC if you want HDMI audio) in /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common on disk0. Copy the defaults.plist from IronManJFF on page 166, update it with your serial number and baseboard serial, and save to /Efi/Oz on disk0. Boot your system and spam F12 to bring up the boot select menu. Once it's up, press Command+Option+P+R. This will reset your NVRAM values and load the options defined in the defaults.plist file in the /EFI/Oz folder on disk0. After reboot you should, in theory, be able to boot from your local disk as well as your Mojave installer USB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcarnell said:

@pkatzman

You need lilu and whatevergreen (and appleALC if you want HDMI audio) in /Efi/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common on disk0. Copy the defaults.plist from IronManJFF on page 166, update it with your serial number and baseboard serial, and save to /Efi/Oz on disk0. Boot your system and spam F12 to bring up the boot select menu. Once it's up, press Command+Option+P+R. This will reset your NVRAM values and load the options defined in the defaults.plist file in the /EFI/Oz folder on disk0. After reboot you should, in theory, be able to boot from your local disk as well as your Mojave installer USB. 

Ok thanks. And I need to do this on my new drive that I’ve installed High Sierra or Mojave to, correct? And these extensions are probably somewhere in this thread I’m guessing. I’ve got a little hunting to don

I take it all back. Something has happened, and for some reason I am no longer able to boot to my high sierra drive, the clone I made of it, or my USB HS/Mojave installer. Crossed out circle. Have verified the suggested kexts are still on the EFI partition of both my boot drive and its clone, but no luck. Very frustrating. 

EDIT: Sometimes I don’t get the crossed out circle, just a black screen, and others I get a big text crawl that hangs in various places. 

Edited by pkatzman

On 2/11/2020 at 8:28 AM, pkatzman said:

Having some issues, though. I've tried two methods: 1) createinstallmedia to put HS or Mojave on a flash drive, boot from that on AOS mobo and install to SSD, and 2)boot from USB installer on a 2018 macbook pro, install to SSD in USB caddy, then put SSD into AOS rig. 

What worked for me was to run the OS installer from the Applications folder of the boot Mac* (I had it copied elsewhere as well in case it self-deleted) and choose the attached SSD as the target disk. The Mac then booted to the new install and I created an admin user.

I then removed all the other drives from the QUO and attached the SSD to SATA 0, and a thumb drive with the XMAX-E ROM in one of the USB ports, and rebooted to the UEFI GUI interface (hold down DEL). Then I used the Q-Flash utility to flash the new ROM, which also created the correct file structure on the SSD in the EFI partition.

I then removed the SSD from the QUO, put it back on the Mac, and copied over the KernextPatch.plist and defaults.plist into the proper location.**

I believe I've got a signature built now

I took a look and you've got this:

GPU: GTX 760

Part of your problem may be that Mojave and Catalina do not work with Nvidia GPU (that's why QUO mobo integrated graphics also won't work).   

You probably need to buy a Radeon card. There are assorted lists out there of what works. I have Radeon Vega 56, a cheaper option is RX580, and there are others that work.

I'm guessing this has something to do with my system profile (on my last working setup) being MacPro 3,1 still. What's unclear to me is how to change this

The mac type is defined in the defaults.plist file.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:20 PM, jcarnell said:

Copy the defaults.plist from IronManJFF on page 166, update it with your serial number and baseboard serial, and save to /Efi/Oz on disk0.

BE CAREFUL with the defaults.plist on page 166 -- the forum software inserts weird invisible characters so you can't just copy and paste, it won't work. Copy it then paste it into a text editor (e.g. BBEdit in free mode) and clean up any spurious invisibles before saving it.

Search out a tutorial on how to use Clover Configurator to create  the serial number and baseboard serial he refers to. You may be able to use the ones you already have, but I didn't know if the serial number I had for my macpro3,1 would work for an imac13,2, so I generated new ones.

- - -

* In other words NOT booting from the USB drive, booting from the Mac itself. Also, I connected the external drive with the SSD in it directly to a Mac USB port, not through a hub. On my macbookpro9,2 it didn't work unliess connected directly.

** Like this:

/EFI  ← This is a separate partition, not the Efi folder on your boot drive you may have left over

/Efi
        /Oz  ← This will probably eventually be joined by an /APPLE directory
        KernextPatcher.plist   ← May be optional, @IronManJFF put basic functionality into ROM
                /Acpi
                   /Dump
                   /Load
           /Darwin
                /Extensions
                   /Common  ← Put Lilu.kext & Whatevergreen.kext here if needed***
           defaults.plist   ← Declare Mac type here and add generated s/n.

*** So far I have not needed them with my Vega 56 GPU since HDMI sound is working on my "clean" SSD install. That may change because my working install is having problems.

Edited by valiant

@valiant, and Everyone!!!

[NOTE:]

The GTX-760 is Kepler!  It IS NATIVE to MacOS AND WILL work in Catalina.

Only Maxwell and Pascal Cards WILL NOT work in Mojave and Catalina!

Maxwell and Pascal Cards MUST have NVIDIA Web Drivers.

[Card Types Follow:]

Maxwell:  GTX-750TI SC/8x0/9x0 Cards

Pascal:  GTX-10x0 Cards

Turing:  GTX-16x0/RTX-20x0 Cards

[NOTE 2:]  Turing Cards WILL NEVER work in ANY MacOS.

TimeLord04

I did not know that, thanks.

Although the first hit I got searching on Kepler and Mojave included this caveat:

- Kepler NVIDIA GPUs (GT 640/740, GTX 670/680/780, Quadro K5000) note:

If you have a supported NVIDIA Kepler GPU like GTX 680 Mac Edition card, GTX 680 flashed with the Mac Edition firmware, GT 640/740, GTX 670/770/780 or a Quadro K5000 you can't do a USB clean install with it at the moment. The USB installer don't detect that the GPU is a Metal supported card and don't continue the install, it's a bug with Nvidia Kepler GPUs.

To do a clean install, do from macOS with two drives - just select your empty one when doing the install.

So it looks like it's not quite as straightforward as with a Radeon card.

Hi!

Is there any way of completely deactivating/delete the Ozmosis bootloader from the bios, I just want to use Clover for my old Z77MX-QUO-AOS build. I tried to deactivate Ozmosis with ESC during boot (screen was red) but still can't boot the MacOS Catalina installation with Clover bootloader. I flashed the Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-XMAX-E.ROM before trying to get Catalina installed. I'm using only integrated HD4000 graphics of the i7-3770k CPU, maybe that's a problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice

6rollo6

6 hours ago, jcarnell said:

@TimeLord04

I replaced my “compatible” Kepler GTX660ti with an RX580 due to graphical glitches on the former even though the nVidia card technically worked.

In the ability to keep 'more current' than High Sierra, AND still contribute to my Number Crunching Project - SETI@Home,

I WILL be saving for a MacVidCards' Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX-580 8GB Card.  ($349 - USD.)  Due to other priorities,

and limited income, I'm stuck with High Sierra and my current Cards, (in Signature), and CANNOT Upgrade at this time.

I hated the 'War' between NVIDIA and Apple, and wish that NVIDIA could have released Web Drivers for Mojave.

Well, that's NEVER happening, they've published it to be so...  So, now I save my money for my RX-580 for my

Hackintosh.  IF I can swing it, I will also get a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX-580 for the Mac Pro in my Sig.

For now, I need to be satisfied that my Systems work, and perform as expected with NVIDIA Cards.

I'm NOT trying to swing votes one way or another.  Just stating Fact that the GTX-760, (Kepler), Card

IS NATIVE to MacOS and runs in Mojave and Catalina.  You state that your Kepler 660TI gave you issues,

I accept that, no hardware is perfect, and Apple Drivers are FAR from perfect.

Good Luck to all with whatever choices are made for each individual and each individuals' Systems.

God Bless,

TimeLord04