OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hey guys and espcially @IronManJFF,

Finally decided to update my Quo to Mojave. I got the install to work fine after some fiddling. 

I installed the BIOS linked to here:

https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=324811

Which i believe is the latest one with Mojave edits. 

Anyway, the main issue i am facing now is that before moving to Mojave i installed an RX580. In order to get past the apple logo without a loading bar (it hangs there otherwise) i had to disable the iGPU in BIOS. even after Mojave is fully installed and everything else is working, if i re-enable the iGPU in bios it hangs at this apple logo- like before it really even starts to load. I know some of you are using RX580 + iGPU right? whats the trick? FWIW i plan to use iGPU in headless mode (i think i have this set correctly in defaults.plist) but nothing i have tried besides disabling iGPU completely allows me to boot Mojave so far. Doesn't seem to matter if its primary or not.

Thanks!

g\

iGPU in headless + GTX970 worked in High Sierra, never was able to boot that combo in Mojave

Switched to RX580 back to default settings (Auto) for Internal Graphics and Init Display First and updated to latest Mojave.

Working on Catalina Beta (Clean Install) in my spare time.. stuck at white screen after install.

Edited by IronManJFF

Updated Defaults.plist template  ( applies to HighSierra & above notice the change to BiosVersion format) :

Defaults.plist template :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Version</key>
    <string>1.0.1</string>
    <key>Date</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BiosDate</key>
        <string>
07/24/2019</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>288.0.0.0.0</string>

<key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <integer>0xE00DE137</integer>
        <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <integer>0xFF1FFF3F</integer>
        <key>ProductId</key>
        <string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
        <key>ProductFamily</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iMac13,2</string>
        <key>SystemSerial</key>
        <string>InsertYoursHere</string>
        <key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
        <string>InsertYours+5Digits</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
    <dict>
        <key>boot-args</key>
        <string>-v</string>
        <key>csr-active-config</key>
        <integer>103</integer>
    </dict>
    <key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
    <dict>
        <key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>
        <true/>
        <key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
        <string>$label</string>
        <key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
        <string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
        <key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
        <string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

image.png.1b3f0c8055b4e168a802d72368232a89.png

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:48 PM, IronManJFF said:

Was able to update my Mojave test drive from 10.14.3 to 10.14.6 using this method 

1) Clone the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner

2) Boot from the clone and launch the 10.1.4.6 Combo Update to update the original

3) Success (reboot from the updated original)

This is a similar "trick" I used to upgrade from 10.14 to 10.14.2.

Instead of carbon cloning the drive i just plugged the drive in another Mac and ran the installer from there.

But did not worked from 10.14.3

I'm still stuck at 10.14.2 so I will try this

In my case, since I have already two SSD with Mojave I will test with my "emergencies" spare Mojave SSD and check if works. If yes then I will boot from the spare SSD and run again the combo udapter but selecting the main SSD as target.

Thanks!

Playing with Catalina and it looks really good power management works a lot better tan Mojave, a warning, you need a dedicated graphic card, the internal don't even boot and you have to choose the PEG card as default in bios not automatic. Attached is the rom I use with the exception of Ozmosis default ( I use macmini8,1 ), you must replace it with a defaults appropriated to the new OS. Enjoy:thumbsup_anim: 

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Edited by elviejo

Kext injection for firmware or ESP partition not working ( worked for the installer and in Beta seeds).

It did not prevent it from booting but there was some delay ...which was resolved by putting FakeSMC in /L/E

I guess we need a new patch for the kernel

@elviejo Can you please ...from Catalina.....where did you get that firmware image .. it looks just like the one I made but with an updated KernextPatcher.plist

kextstat | grep SMC

Edited by IronManJFF

15 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Kext injection for firmware or ESP partition not working ( worked for the installer and in Beta seeds).

It did not prevent it from booting but there was some delay ...which was resolved by putting FakeSMC in /L/E

I guess we need a new patch for the kernel

@elviejo Can you please ...from Catalina.....where did you get that firmware image .. it looks just like the one I made but with an updated KernextPatcher.plist

kextstat | grep SMC

From here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291655-ozmosis/?do=findComment&amp;comment=2679922

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't made that update yet but was about to point out ....but you beat me to it

WhateverGreen Changelog

v1.3.4

• Added support for disabled AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy in AMD drivers on 10.15.1
  • Added basic support for -radcfg and -radgl on AMD Navi GPUs

• 4 weeks later...

How are you guys doing with Catalina so far? I'm thinking of updating soon, I just have to check if any of the apps I use aren't compatible with the 64bit only thing, but I guess I'll get started on it this weekend.

How are you guys doing with Catalina so far? I'm thinking of updating soon, I just have to check if any of the apps I use aren't compatible with the 64bit only thing, but I guess I'll get started on it this weekend.

still on Mojave as my main driver ... having trouble with Catalina when extracting Core.pkg .. might be because of a faulty memory stick ..

On 11/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, Casm101 said:

Catalina is great, but you must be aware of the problem with old apps that are 32-bit that don't work on Catalina, other than that it is faster than Mojave precisely because the apps are 64 not 32-bit and have some new features that are great. You also must be aware that you would have problem if you want to dual boot with Mojave, at least in my system Mojave wouldn't boot anymore.

Edited by elviejo

I got that problem where it seems to lose connection between the Preboot and System APFS volume.. so far this has worked every time to fix it...

Go to UEFI shell
Attempt to boot from the System Partition, it will output some messages and then will not do anything. Hit Reset button

Hi, all.

I'm coming back to this after a long absence and hoping for some help.

My QUO hack has been running MacOS 10.10.5 with the H2N ROM for a long time, but I finally need to update the OS to something newer, preferably 10.14 (10.15 will have to wait because I have too many non-64 bit apps).

Some background:

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my 10.10 drive to a new drive then installed 10.11 onto the new one - at that time I had a software that needed 10.11.

Using 10.11 with the H2N ROM had limited success, I could only boot 10.11 in safe mode, and even then not using my primary account, only using a "vanilla" admin account.

For personal reasons the QUO computer sat idle for a year because I just didn't have time to deal with it. In the meantime I've been using an old laptop, but that no longer has the horsepower I need, and the QUO is still has better specs for me. Before trying for the 10.11 update, it "just worked".

So today I upgraded the ROM to the MASS version and reset the BIOS to default settings. I can still boot into the 10.10 drive (I am typing this from that), but I can still only get into the 10.11 one in safe mode using the admin account.

In other words, the MASS ROM did not solve my problems compared with the H2N ROM. I assume it's the latest version?

Because everything was working, and then I had no time, I haven't been keeping up with this forum.

Which brings me to now.

Roughly where in the 167 pages and counting should I start reading to figure out installing 10.14 on the QUO?

Or could someone be so kind as to tell me the steps to do it? Is there a succinct guide? Obviously I'm able to update the ROM, but I don't know where to even start with supporting EFI stuff, necessary kexts, etc. etc. Apparently the EFI directory should have an OZ directory next to the BOOT and CLOVER ones, but I don't know what should be in it. And I am probably overlooking other settings too...

Thanks!

I would start back at page 160 (Feb 3rd).. if you read from there you should be able to get up to speed fairly quick.

The firmware will create the Oz directory itself after you flash the correct firmware if it is not there. If it is not already there it is because you were using Clover and not Ozmosis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

I would start back at page 160 (Feb 3rd).. if you read from there you should be able to get up to speed fairly quick.

The firmware will create the Oz directory itself after you flash the correct firmware if it is not there. If it is not already there it is because you were using Clover and not Ozmosis.

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure how to tell whether I was using Clover or Ozmosis. If I recall correctly (and it's been a long time) Ozmosis uses the boot ROM method with a (mostly) vanilla Mac OS install, but Clover uses a patched OS installer and doesn't touch the boot ROM. Is that correct? How would I tell?

I think if I can get it to work I would prefer the former method, because I recall with a non-QUO mobo hack I built using Clover or something similar, doing incremental dot updates to the OS was so much work I stayed at 10.10.4 because updating to 10.10.5 broke it every time.

Fun fact: beer and electronics don't mix. I spilled a pint into that box and fried the motherboard, the CPU, the power supply and one RAM stick. An expensive lesson...

I will keep you posted on how things go.

Cheers!

So far no luck. I have the MAXX ROM and a fresh Mojave installer. It’s not a straightforward “just works” install and I haven’t figured out what I’m doing wrong. I’ve started reading the forum from p160, but I’m so far out of the loop on this it’s not making much sense yet. 

I’ve put in a fresh SSD to install to, so I’m not messing with my fusion drives. 

But there’s a new wrinkle. 

I have my video card disconnected, but I intend to use it. It’s a GeForce GT 770, and it seems Mojave doesn’t support Nvidia videocards. 

So before I get too wrapped up, I have another question. 

What is the last Mac OS that the 770 will work with? Maybe I should be upgrading to that instead...

Thanks.