Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,274 posts in this topic

@wetzel

I partitioned the windows partition as FAT filesystem from Apple disk utility, which I assume is FAT32.

Also, I tried unplugging/plugging the headphone jack in a number of times with Internal Speakers device selected, however it doesn't autochange.....

@Adrenalation

Interesting... There are some weird quirks with the Windows UEFI installer that I've run into, where it will not detect a GPT partition table if you try one way but it will work fine another way... I will mess around with this in a VM later, I don't have my windows installation media with me :-)

you may be dealing with it having a MBR vs PBMR on your GPT disk.  diskutil will put an MBR on your GPT disk if you create an NTFS partition. i guess this how bootcamp works on a real mac. you can get around this by using windows (installer) to create the partition or i often use  gpt to create exfat or Ntfs partition on the command line.

run: sudo gpt -r show disk0 

Note: PMBR (and not MBR)

tluck@toms-mac ~

$ sudo gpt -r show disk1

start        size  index  contents

0           1         PMBR

1           1         Pri GPT header

2          32         Pri GPT table

34           6         

40      409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409640  1362786480      2  GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

1363196120     1269544      3  GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

1364465664   100681728      4  GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

1465147392        1743         

1465149135          32         Sec GPT table

1465149167           1         Sec GPT header

tluck@toms-mac ~

$ sudo gpt -r show -l disk1

start        size  index  contents

0           1         PMBR

1           1         Pri GPT header

2          32         Pri GPT table

34           6         

40      409600      1  GPT part - "EFI System Partition"

409640  1362786480      2  GPT part - "OSX+"

1363196120     1269544      3  GPT part - "Recovery HD"

1364465664   100681728      4  GPT part - "C+Win7"

1465147392        1743         

1465149135          32         Sec GPT table

1465149167           1         Sec GPT header

tluck@toms-mac ~

for example, i created 2 partitions - (1 OSX, the other "Free space") 
in installed OSX (which adds Recovery)
then i run

gpt add -b 1364465664 -s 100681728 -t EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 disk1

@Adrenalation

Interesting... There are some weird quirks with the Windows UEFI installer that I've run into, where it will not detect a GPT partition table if you try one way but it will work fine another way... I will mess around with this in a VM later, I don't have my windows installation media with me :-)

Well, I just installed a port of gdisk on mac os x, and it says that the disk I'm trying to install has protective MBR, probably on LB0 logical block of the hard drive. Perhaps the installer is detecting this, not the second block of the device to where GUID is.

@Adrenalation a "protective MBR" is what gdisk calls a GPT partition table, that's what it's supposed to say!

In the Windows installer, are you able to access the custom option and change/delete/create partitions?

@tluck. Yup it's MBR instead of PMBR. Anyway to format this to PMBR without reinstalling OS X?

@wetzel Yes, I have the ability to access that menu. I then try formatting my ~100GB windows partition, but still the same error, saying it is MBR.

I think tluck has it right saying that disk utility gave me an MBR instead of PMBR.

Screen_Shot_2014_07_11_at_9_32_21_AM.png

@ Adrenelation, try this; in Disk Utility, delete the FAT partition you created (by going to the whole disk->partition and click the minus with the FAT partition selected), then run a Repair Disk on the entire disk. That should recreate the PMBR.

Then, try installing Windows again, it should allow you to create a new partition in the free space.

Shows my ignorance here // lack of apple documentation. I messed around with this in my apple VM and noticed that creating a FAT partition automatically converts the PMBR to MBR (but then deleting it as I instruct and running Repair Disk rebuilds it...) Oh, Apple.

Edit: BE CAREFUL with the Windows installer, make sure you choose custom and then create a partition in the empty space, otherwise it'll nuke your OSX installation.

@wetzel. Well, I just ended up using gdisk from terminal. Selected disk0 as my disk, went to experts menu via X, and wrote a new PMBR via N. Wrote changes and all was well. :) Oh.....apple.

Screen_Shot_2014_07_11_at_9_40_03_AM.png

Still having issues with the sound......though. Not urgent, but buggy. Maybe my headphone detection switch has gone bad? ha.

@wetzel.

One last thing in regards to Windows Installation. Any idea how to ensure that Microsoft installs boot data into the EFI ESP partition where Clover resides, instead of the MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition) that Windows creates?

@wetzel.

One last thing in regards to Windows Installation. Any idea how to ensure that Microsoft installs boot data into the EFI ESP partition where Clover resides, instead of the MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition) that Windows creates?

The MSR partition is not used for Windows boot files.

@wetzel Great. Now win7 is installed, but it skips past the Clover UEFI boot menu in the ESP and boots automatically in Windows. Windows boot files are now in /EFI/Microsoft........ Any ideas?

I had to use the Clover OS X USB to boot into my hard drive

@adrenalation - replace /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi with a copy of Cloverx64.efi

boot OSX (w usb for now) then

i.e. some thing like this:

cp /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

Thanks guys for sticking with me. I'm learning something new every day. ;) Dual boot is working as it should.

Still a couple things I'd like to fix.

• 1600x900 Resolution is not working in Clover Boot Menu; any Fixes?
  • Headphone jack on laptop still does not work. (tried unplugging and plugging many times) (Probably the detecting pin is Broken) Time for a new jack! (Disregard Possible Conflicts with DSDT)

@Nvidia NVS 4200M Users. Has anyone fiddled with DSDT Patching?

@zavataafnan - hmm is that good or bad!?

i don't have any sounds (beep or alert) when my system wakes from sleep. but i vaguely remember it happened once or twice when i didn't have the dsdt or audio kexts working quite right. 

@tluck, it seems good!

I updated to 10.9.4! my sound was not work properly. I removed the new with the one for 10.9 not 10.9.3 from your nice post! now i boot the system and put in sleep mode twice and sound card works properly. Can i send you some config which help you to correct this issue for other system?

@zavataafnan. it looks like you have it working ok now.

I have kept the patched kexts consistent with the current version of the released OS version level from Apple so the current zip is for 10.9.4 and has AppleHDA.kext v2.6.3. But regardless, the standard unmodified AppleHDA.kext from the installation or update should be replaced with the patched one from the zip in /System/Library/Extensions/

strange thing here my clover config doesn't auto boot on Power HD even if config.plist is like that (part of):

I clear cache (no change)

It use to work perfectly before lol

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>slide=0</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>Power</string>

<key>Log</key>

<false/>

<key>Secure</key>

<false/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>XMPDetection</key>

<false/>

</dict>

does it auto-boot another partition? if so, you may try IgnoreNVRAMBoot to use the DefaultVolume  vs one with most recent nvram.plist

see red below

you can ignore green (these are for yosemite)

my boot section: 

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>slide=0 kext-dev-mode=1</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>OSX</string>

<key>Fast</key>

<false/>

<key>IgnoreNVRAMBoot</key>

<true/>

<key>Log</key>

<false/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>UseAlternateLogo</key>

<true/>

<key>XMPDetection</key>

<false/>

</dict>

• Like 1

does it auto-boot another partition? if so, you may try IgnoreNVRAMBoot to use the DefaultVolume  vs one with most recent nvram.plist

see red below

you can ignore green (these are for yosemite)

my boot section: 

<key>Boot</key>

<dict>

<key>Arguments</key>

<string>slide=0 kext-dev-mode=1</string>

<key>DefaultVolume</key>

<string>OSX</string>

<key>Fast</key>

<false/>

<key>IgnoreNVRAMBoot</key>

<true/>

<key>Log</key>

<false/>

<key>Timeout</key>

<integer>3</integer>

<key>UseAlternateLogo</key>

<true/>

<key>XMPDetection</key>

<false/>

</dict>

Thanks for your advice.

Yes it auto boot on an other HD (after replacing it)

On this HD I had no more nvram.plist on root cos i read that IgnoreNVRAMBoot should be use to use dual boot (not available yet no time to repair win part)

so i deleted it

I took an old one (a backup) with no success 

so i replace my config by ours. (all config)

but nothing change 

for now i boot by pressing enter lol

Do u enjoy Yosemite? It's a good news that we will be able to upgrade

thanks for the tests you're doing now :)

Have a nice WE

update : i found this Solving The Nvram Problem, Solved in Clover 2837+

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3298&st=20&p=41414&&do=findComment&comment=41414

Important: many if not all users who tested this driver reported blocked iMessage account after using it to enable NVRAM. If you care about iMessage, then do not use it until more about this is discovered.

imessage how to :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2040654

Tluck, running into a little problem. I updated to 10.9.4, grabbed your pack, and updated the kexts you indicated. It booted fine without caches. I actually hadn't rebooted until yesterday and when I did I got a kernel panic. I can only boot without caches. It's probably a pretty simple fix but I don't really know what Clover is doing with regard to the caches. Any ideas?

I use the wireless_half-mini repo to enable my wifi, along with an included patch to get 5ghz working. I think the issue might be related to it, since it edits the brcm4360.kext