[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Hello all.

After a lot of winblows issues i habe decided to try on the OSX path.. a friend recommended this but his hackintosh is built using a recommended build.

I have the asus z77 v lx motherboard with a I5 3570k and 16 gig ram.

I mainly use my system for making music and after reading through this thread i must say i am abit confused.

The v lx mobo does not havr asus usb flash support and as far as i understand ig is the only way to flash the bios with a moded bios specially if you have the latest bios installed?

Now looking at what the patch bios is for if i understand it.. it allows osx to use the c-stat feature. . When using the nullcou patch the cpu will always run att full clock speed?

In both windows and osx it is reccomended to not use the c stat.. in windows this is achieved with the power options but on mac some use throttlestop..

Throttlestop would in a hackintosh be basicly the same as usinh nullcpupowermanagement?

Should i patch my bios...?

If so how is this avhived safest on my motherboard. .

Is it in my case safe to use nullcpupowermanagement?

/J

The v lx mobo does not havr asus usb flash support and as far as i understand ig is the only way to flash the bios with a moded bios specially if you have the latest bios installed?

CodeRush describes two other ways in the first post. You can use the second one using the flash utility afuwin.

Now looking at what the patch bios is for if i understand it.. it allows osx to use the c-stat feature. . When using the nullcou patch the cpu will always run att full clock speed?

The patch is all about Apple's extension AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. You won't be able to use your PC at all, because it will crash the system.

NullCPU prevents that kext from loading and Mac will start but you won't have any CPU power management. That's where this patch comes in: it unlocks a register and allows the kext to load, resulting in Mac being able to alter the power settings without any additional patches.

In both windows and osx it is reccomended to not use the c stat.. in windows this is achieved with the power options but on mac some use throttlestop..

Throttlestop would in a hackintosh be basicly the same as usinh nullcpupowermanagement?

I would recommend you to keep them enabled as they reduce the power consumption.

This is for you to decide. You can start with using NullCPU, look if you like working with Mac and patch the BIOS later, if you decide to continue using it.

Hello ,

Can you help me to undestand how to manualy patch an Asus non Uefi board  ( maximus III gene ) ?

I mean i cant use PMpatch with this board so i try to do it myself can you point me on the right direction to do it ?

Thanks

What's the problem you are facing? It should work with almost any board by now. In case you really want to do it yourself, here is a tutorial.

Hey K3nny.

Thanks for the answer..

I am not new to osx just hackintosh ;)

Now.. do you know of any great online tutorials for using aufwin with asus mobo so i dont mess anything up ;)

I am truly greatfull for your aid.

So after bios patch i can skip the nullcpu and appleintel?

/j

Now.. do you know of any great online tutorials for using aufwin with asus mobo so i dont mess anything up ;)

Just follow the link in the first post.

I am truly greatfull for your aid.

So after bios patch i can skip the nullcpu and appleintel?

/j

Exactly. No NullCPU and no AppleIntelCPUPM kext patch.

C:\Users\Mathew\Desktop\New folder>pmpatch afuwin.bios patched.bios
PMPatch 0.5.13
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerManagement module at 003AC614 patched.
Patched module too big after compression.
Trying to apply patch #2
Trying to apply patch #3
Trying to apply patch #4
Trying to apply patch #5
AMI nest module at 00050048 not patched: Repacked module can't be inserted.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 0029EB50 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

C:\Users\Mathew\Desktop\New folder>pmpatch afuwin.rom patched.rom
PMPatch 0.5.13
Trying to apply patch #1
Trying to apply patch #2
Trying to apply patch #3
Trying to apply patch #4
Trying to apply patch #5
AMI nest module at 00050048 not patched: Repacked module can't be inserted.
CpuPei module at 0029EB50 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

Hey guys, doesnt seem to work on my ami aptio bios... Any idea whats up ?

I have attached my bios backed up with afudos in dos..

Also tried renaming from .rom to .bios as per instructions...

I get a error also under Os X

Mats-Mac:untitled folder mat$ /Users/mat/Desktop/untitled\ folder/PMPatch afuwin.rom patched.rom
PMPatch 0.5.13
Trying to apply patch #1
Segmentation fault: 11
Mats-Mac:untitled folder mat$ 

Yep, the tools fails due to the ffs checksum mismatch, needs to be regenerated by hand,

I did that for you : ) the manual PM unlock way with mmtools ... I found mmtool failed to reintegrate the module due to broken checksum.

After patching

75080fbae80f89442430 to eb080fbae80f89442430

with HxD I cut the ffs header to MZ so I had a native .efi driver

and then I regenerated the ffs driver module with matching ffs checksum that way:

GenSec -s EFI_SECTION_PE32 -o Powermanagement.pe32 Powermanagement.efi
GenFfs -t EFI_FV_FILETYPE_DRIVER -g 8C783970-F02A-4A4D-AF09-8797A51EEC8D -o Powermanagement.ffs -i Powermanagement.pe32 

Now I was able to re-integrate the patched Powermanagement.ffs :thumbsup_anim:

Patched ROM Download »» http://rghost.net/48590491««

Using pmpatch on Windows I saw a little bit more: AMI nest module at 00050048 not patched: Repacked module can't be inserted.

PMPatch 0.5.14
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 001D0224 pat
Trying to apply patch #2
Trying to apply patch #3
Trying to apply patch #4
Trying to apply patch #5
AMI nest module at 00080048 not patched: Repacked module can't
CpuPei module at 005AD200 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

I have the same error patching Aptio bios from my G750 laptop,  Mir. Light Server System, Code Rush can you help?

I attach my bios saved using afudos 

Thank You!!!

bios.bin.zip

I try to patch my bios but I get this

PMPatch.exe Rampage-IV-Extreme-ASUS-4701.CAP Rampage-IV-Extreme-ASUS-4701mod.CAP

PMPatch 0.5.14

PowerManagement module at 004B0D38 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

AMI nest modules not found.

CpuPei module at 0079FF88 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

CpuPei module at 007DFF88 not patched: Patch pattern not found.

Hello all.

After a lot of winblows issues i habe decided to try on the OSX path.. a friend recommended this but his hackintosh is built using a recommended build.

I have the asus z77 v lx motherboard with a I5 3570k and 16 gig ram.

I mainly use my system for making music and after reading through this thread i must say i am abit confused.

If so how is this avhived safest on my motherboard. .

/J

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284698-asus-p8z77-v-lx-bios-1404-working-sleep-dsdt

furthermore.. new bios since 1502 or higher is locked somehow and needs older flashed so u can flash new.. some had to go to 0401 or not newer than 1404 so bios then flash newer mod then it worked!

i left this one at bios v1404 and never gave clover efi method a go since i did not have time to play with it for a friend.

(its been stable this way for him for months)

if this Bios recovery methods dont work

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z77-V%20LX&os=&no=1722

what i would do is get a usb SPi programmer like EZP2010 or EN25T80 in ebay and a 3M or pommona so8 test clip to make a backup.bin of it first.

(im not sure if a universal bios backup toolkit.exe file would work to flash it back with programmer so this is best way)

now u can mod away and if it bricks u can recover it by reflashing chip with programmer.

==========

Areos . FAQ #4 Segmentation fault: 11

i wonder if pmpatch win version runs from hirensbootcd.org

What's the problem you are facing? It should work with almost any board by now. In case you really want to do it yourself, here is a tutorial.

This board isnt an UEFI board so PMpatch didnt patch anything on this one , so i was looking how to did the trick manually ... do you think i can try to patch this asus board as see in the link you give me ??..

AREOS, I will make you a manually patched BIOS in 2 days (I'm far from normal internet connection and developer PC with tools needed) and add this case to the FAQ.

There are too little free space after patching to instert a patched module, but only because PMPatch is too simple and straightforward to implement a workaround.

stinga11, interesting. Will dig into that image a bit later.

xflight, I don't know if it's possible to unlock MSR 0xE2 on non-UEFI boards or how to do that, sorry.

AREOS, I will make you a manually patched BIOS in 2 days (I'm far from normal internet connection and developer PC with tools needed) and add this case to the FAQ.

There are too little free space after patching to instert a patched module, but only because PMPatch is too simple and straightforward to implement a workaround.

stinga11, interesting. Will dig into that image a bit later.

xflight, I don't know if it's possible to unlock MSR 0xE2 on non-UEFI boards or how to do that, sorry.

Thanks man, I know you can help me.

I can´t wait jeje.

Good Luck

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284698-asus-p8z77-v-lx-bios-1404-working-sleep-dsdt

furthermore.. new bios since 1502 or higher is locked somehow and needs older flashed so u can flash new.. some had to go to 0401 or not newer than 1404 so bios then flash newer mod then it worked!

i left this one at bios v1404 and never gave clover efi method a go since i did not have time to play with it for a friend.

(its been stable this way for him for months)

if this Bios recovery methods dont work

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z77-V%20LX&os=&no=1722

what i would do is get a usb SPi programmer like EZP2010 or EN25T80 in ebay and a 3M or pommona so8 test clip to make a backup.bin of it first.

(im not sure if a universal bios backup toolkit.exe file would work to flash it back with programmer so this is best way)

now u can mod away and if it bricks u can recover it by reflashing chip with programmer.

==========

Areos . FAQ #4 Segmentation fault: 11

i wonder if pmpatch win version runs from hirensbootcd.org

It's easy to flash a patched or unlocked rom onto this board, as earlier version were/are not flash-locked.

The best way is to downgrade, let's say to 0401.rom, from dos with afudos for aptio.

Use command afudos 0401.cap /p /b /n /k ...

AFUDOS will accept the unmodified 0401.cap. You'll get back to a flash-unlocked status.

After downgrade mod / pmpatch & remove the bios-flashlock of an up2date rom, upgrade from dos again

with afudos 2204.rom, now you can even use flashrom from OS X and linux.

If you want an already unlocked uefi, then upload a backup rom of yours, I'll adjust you values with FD44Editor,

so your mac adress, serial and uuid will be kept.

Actually I'm on P8Z77-V LX 2204, pmpatched plus flash-unlocked.

Hi CodeRush,

Hi @ll

Great work what have you done here, but I have a basic question:

Is PMpatch only for Intel-based UEFI boards or even for AMD boards.??? I have tried to read the information and dialogues here, unfortunately this question was not asked her.

I Request for information in relation to a Gigabyte board Type: GA 990 FA UD3, CPU: PHENOM II X 6

I use currently Mavericks 10.9. 2 with AMD_kernel on my Hackintosh and it runs almost perfectly!

If this is the case, it also works on amd based boards. Would it be possible that I could get by my internal sound card to work with it?

Or I am in the wrong Movie ? If that is so, then I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Because that's the only thing that does not seem to work on my Hackintosh.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

I think that AMD CPUs have complete different PM mechanics, so there are no locked 0xE2 MSRs and no need to patch anything.

@ CodeRush, first of all thank you for your lightning fast response to my question. My question is thus: What could I read the bios so you can be sure that no locked 0xE2 MSRs and no need to patch anything. Sorry for my bad english.

Edit:

You have the skills to read the bios to meet a Definitive statement. thank you for your effort, here my last Bios: download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-990fxa-ud3_f10a.exe 

many thanks

Edited by spakk