[UEFIPatch] UEFI patching utility

CodeRush
1,981 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm posting directly below you, there's no need to quote. Nobody needs to read the same thing twice.

PMPatch unlocks MSR 0xE2. MSR 0xE2 is not locked on your motherboard.

This topic is about PMPatch, therefore, even after you've edited your previous post and your signature, you're still off topic here - until Coderush says otherwise.

Rehab's topic deals with many things Haswell, among them, the same issue that you're having.

I'm pointing you to that topic to help you find the information you need - because you won't find it here.

• Like 3

0.5.14 is out.

Changes are made only for better Xcode build compatibility. Hopefully there will be no more crashes on OS X.

Binaries for Windows and OS X are ready to download.

Please test and report any issues.

Yes, I'm posting directly below you, there's no need to quote. Nobody needs to read the same thing twice.

PMPatch unlocks MSR 0xE2. MSR 0xE2 is not locked on your motherboard.

This topic is about PMPatch, therefore, even after you've edited your previous post and your signature, you're still off topic here - until Coderush says otherwise.

Rehab's topic deals with many things Haswell, among them, the same issue that you're having.

I'm pointing you to that topic to help you find the information you need - because you won't find it here.

In fact, I was not able to use PMPAtch that's it. I wanted to know why and as Coderush asked regarding a previous problem with a GA Board which is almost the same product as me: "Doesn't it work out of the box? I have no GB boards now, but if 0xE2 is locked, then I will try to figure out, where."

I just wanted to share my experience on my board too a GA Z87X-OC which is not the same one but having the same problem

Are you 100% sure that MSR 0xE2 is not locked on my motherboard ? You would be the first one who was able to answer to my question and that's nice

I have patched my Kernel using Pike and Rehab technic but I'm still not able to use PM PATCH is is not normal ? should I have to patched ACPUPM.kext as well ? no ?

You seem to know this mobo and PMPATCH well; this kind of advice could be really appreciated. (am I off topic here ? if so do not hesitate to delete my post)

Thank you very much for everything and your support.

a little off topic but now i tried flashing an unpatched bios and now my motherboard is bricked...

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
At least add the full name of your motherboard. For now your post is just scary - make it helpful.

@CodeRush:

Curious if you could take a look at the v2.10g BIOS for ASRock Z87E-ITX mbd. [Direct download link] (website link)

There is a working PMPatched v2.0 of this BIOS floating around (here); I'm using it atm.

There's also a v2.10 of the BIOS that someone else had run PMPatch on (here), but when I tried flashing it just spat out a security flag and wouldn't go.

Thanks.

Im currently in ongoing discussions with the tech guys at Asrock regarding this and a few other goodies that would optimise this board quite nicely for OSX.

See threads here :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/117344-z87e-itx-updates.html

And here :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/112139-pmpatch-help.html

Feel free to contribute and list any issues there; they have those links so can keep up to date on what people are looking for. They have been very receptive so far!

I have a beta bios 2.10E here, which *might* resolve some of our issues. The latest PMPatch works with this and the stock 2.10 from the website but Ive not had chance to try them out on the board yet.

Hi CodeRush!

Any chance this might be made to work on Dell XPS 15 9530?

Attached file includes AIDA64 report, the latest BIOS, and the generated output.

[EDIT]

I have found I can write the rom file using /writeromfile (instead of the -writeromfile which used to work)

I can then patch the resultant rom file using the tool successfully.

Have not yet figured out how to flash the rom yet -- how did you repack it into the exe?.

PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 00234BE8 patched.
AMI nest modules not found.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 00759B40 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.

[EDIT]

Its an AMI Aptio BIOS. Patched rom appears to be flashable using AFUWin64 v.3.05.02

I am going to review recovery procedure before I try it.

If it works, will install Mavericks and have my 1st new hack in years.

[EDIT] Both AFUWin64 and AFUDos won't flash mod files; they complain about secure flash

They will flash the unpatched rom.

[EDIT] Method is impossible for newer EFI BIOS.

See p. 14 "a binary modified after signing will have an invalid signature"

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UEFI_Plugfest_2012Q1_v3_AMI.pdf

9530A01.EXE

Hi! I have unlocked my bios using a mod from another forums, namely TechInferno. Anyway, is this equivalent to pmpatch? Or do I still have to use your patch?

Many thanks!

EDIT:

I have used your patch but I didn't flash my bios yet. I used PMPatch 0.5.14 for Mac as I don't have Windows.

Here is the result from Terminal.

PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 003826AE not patched: Unknown error.
AMI nest modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 0001B062 not patched: Unknown module state.
Nested PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi module at 000CC0F0 patched.
Nested SmmPlatform module at 0001B03E not patched: Unknown module state.
Nested SmmPlatform module at 0027BF98 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Phoenix nest module at 00090048 patched.
CpuPei modules not found.
Output file generated.

Attached is my unlocked bios (which I'm currently using) and patched unlocked bios

Also, if you'd like to see my original bios, I can put it here.

useletters unlocked & patched unlocked bios.zip

Thanks CodeRush! I missed /gan. Will try tonight.

[EDIT] Victory! /gan works.

There really is no excuse for my missing this, other than when I read the FAQ I thought I was dealing with a Phoenix BIOS (as every other Dell I've worked on) and missed the link.

I also can confirm the stock Dell BIOS can be flashed over the patched BIOS in the usual way, which means updates can be installed, but repatching the BIOS will be necessary afterwards.

On to install 10.9 on my mSATA.

[EDIT] Reading the startup screen, I can confirm CodeRush's patch gets native power management on Dell XPS 15 9530. However, when graphics initialize, LVDS goes black unless something is plugged into HDMI. Which is exactly the video driver problem we saw on laptops before we started patching the driver. This problem I know how to fix:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/245308-mobility-radeon-10667-guide-for-qeci-testing-107/

[EDIT] PM'd Slice (who I knew from when we figured how to patch Mobility Radeons). He said my dev ids are not yet injected with Clover, although he will add them to the list. So plan is to disable QE in single user mode, install as VGA like we did with Mobility Radeons, then address the issue. Looks like I might be good with Enoch branch though, so will try that before anything else.

• Like 2

I don't recommend to even try flashing your BIOS form OS X. Use built-in BIOS flasher, if any, or boot Windows XP from Hiren's BootCD ISO and use normal flasher for Windows. Your 0xE2 register will sure be unlocked, all other PM setup is up to you.

starfish_crackwhore, could you please read the FAQ and use the method to flash AMI BIOSes linked there?

Your patched BIOS file is fine, but it can't pass security verification after any modification, so it needs to be flashed another way.