[AMD][GUIDE] ★★★ How to get full 64-bit AMD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (ARCH=x86_64!) ★★★

Deltac0

What AMD processor(s) you have?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What AMD processor you have?

• FX (15h / Bulldozer)
    • Phenom II (K10.5)
    • Athlon II (K10.5)
    • Sempron (K10.5)
    • Turion II (K10.5)
    • Phenom (K10)
    • Opteron (K10)
    • Athlon X2 (K10)
    • Athlon (K10)
    • Sempron (K10)
    • Other (K8 and below)

33 posts in this topic

Hi! :)

As some of you may know, the AMD hackintosh scene isn't dead! :)

Thanks to our genius developers (AnV, Sinetek, Nawcom, R:A:W:X86 and others... ), we now have ability to boot SL on AMD machine, WITH ARCH=x86_64! :)

This involves some patching and tricks, and doesn't YET work on all AMD boxes. UPDATE: Sinetek just released a new kernel for Athlons and other Pre-Phenom CPUs!

Just a clarification for anyone reading this and saying "Isn't Nawcom's kernel already 64-bit?", Nawcom's kernel runs in 32-bit kernel space while allowing both 64 (if you have a 64-bit capable processor) and 32-bit applications to run. This kernel runs in 64-bit kernel space and also allows 32 and 64-bit applications to run.

NOTE: After successful 64-bit boot (System Profiler -> Software -> 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes), please post your processor in this topic.

Confirmed processors:

• Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Phenom II x4 965
  • Athlon II X4 645
  • Athlon II x4 640
  • Athlon II x3 435
  • Athlon X2 250
  • Athlon 64 x2 4000+

Requirements

• Working 10.6.8 installation, with either AnV or Nawcom legacy kernel
  • Phenom II or maybe some other processor with L3 cache. Doesn't work with Athlons yet.
  • Amd_insn_patcher to get patched dyld and other files.
  • Backups, if you don't want to start everything from the start again.
  • A little bit of brains, I think about 10 grams is enough.

Installation

1. Make sure you have backup of your HDD etc. I'm not responsible if you lose any of your data or if anything happens to your hard- / software.
  2. This may, or may not work. Don't do this if you have a working i386 -force64 system and you're happy with it.
  3. This kernel and other stuff is purely experimental, not stable release. Continue only if you have understood this.
  4. Let's start the process. Boot your hackintosh with AnV or Nawcom kernel, with arch=i386 and -force64! The patcher will screw your installation if you don't boot with -force64.
  5. Download the right kernel for your CPU, don't replace your existing kernel with it, just put it to the root of your HDD
  6. Patch your dyld and other stuff. Only works if you booted with -force64! Google more instructions for patching. This version of patcher works for me.
  7. Edit your boot.plist, change kernel to "sinetek" and arch=x86_64. No need for -force64 anymore. (or try with manual bootflags first)
  8. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR KEXTS ARE 64-BIT! This could work (not on Mac atm, can't test), x86_64 means 64-bit.
  9. Try to reboot. If it fails, reboot and type your bootflags in the Chameleon screen like: legacy_kernel arch=i386 -force64
  10. Post problems / successes here and I'll try to help you. :D

Downloads

Sinetek's kernel for AMD Phenom II:

sinetek.zip

http://www.solidfile...m/d/c2c6c0b171/

Sinetek's kernel for Athlons and other Pre-Phenom CPUs:

sinetek_pp.zip

http://www.solidfile...m/d/4a1af3a4d1/

Amd_insn_patcher (that should work correctly)

amd_insn_patcher.zip

http://www.solidfile...m/d/8b7f18de54/

Pre-patched QuickTimeComponents, if patcher fails for you

http://www.solidfile...m/d/24773eeddc/

More information

If anyone reading this tutorial is interested in more (Lion/ML on AMD), check out the new AMD Development section! There you can find latest tests / kernel builds. :)

And if you don't know the answer for the topic poll (and still want to answer), check this out.

Changelog

v. 1.00 - My first tutorial on this forum

v. 1.01 - better structure

v. 1.02 - Added external dl links

v. 1.03 - New kernel by Sinetek added to downloads

v. 1.04 - Added poll

v. 1.05 - Made poll easier to understand

v. 1.06 - Added "confirmed processors"

v. 1.07 - Added more info about the kernel, thanks Instant Idiot.

v. 1.08 - Added information about 64-bit kexts

• Like 10

Sinetek's kernel for Athlons and other Pre-Phenom CPUs:

sinetek_pp.zip

http://www.solidfile...m/d/4a1af3a4d1/

That kernel works perfectly on my Athlon II x4 640!

Just a clarification for anyone reading this and saying "Isn't Nawcom's kernel already 64-bit?", Nawcom's kernel runs in 32-bit kernel space while allowing both 64 (if you have a 64-bit capable processor) and 32-bit applications to run. This kernel runs in 64-bit kernel space and also allows 32 and 64-bit applications to run.

Thanks for confirming another processor! :)

I'll add your info to the main post, if you don't mind.

you can add PhenomII 1090t x6 to the list! It works over here. I had it get a little weird on me a couple times.. you mention "MAKE SURE ALL YOUR KEXTS ARE 64-BIT!" how do I know? and where do I find replacements if they are not?

this was my process..

Install 10.6.3 with modCD then combo update to 10.6.8 and run nawcomV2 pkg to install new legacy kernel before restarting. reboot with -force64 then dyld patcher when I get to desktop and reboot again. Then install Realtek drivers for onboard LAN. And thats really as far as I have been able to get. Can only get 2ch audio working with appleazalia kext. And of course im stuck in frame buffer mode with my GTX 580 in SL. But with that setup working for a few days and installing miscellaneous apps I loaded Sineteks kernel. dyld stuff was already patched at that point.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

Boots fine, but panics or just restarts when I open apps that gave me SIGILL on Nawcom's kernel. Audio works in iTunes, Safari & Chrome, but in VLC it plays for about 1s, then mutes for another while video plays flawlessly. Another drawback is that MacFUSE doesn't work on 64bit, though it's not kernel's fault.

I'll play with dyld etc. because I don't really remember whether I patched it by myself or just downloaded prepatched.

Feel free to correct my English, pozdrowienia z Polski ;)

EDIT:

Audio now works after setting busratio=105, I hope that will as well correct clock, which was 10min late for every 3-4 hours

you can add PhenomII 1090t x6 to the list! It works over here. I had it get a little weird on me a couple times.. you mention "MAKE SURE ALL YOUR KEXTS ARE 64-BIT!" how do I know? and where do I find replacements if they are not?

this was my process..

Install 10.6.3 with modCD then combo update to 10.6.8 and run nawcomV2 pkg to install new legacy kernel before restarting. reboot with -force64 then dyld patcher when I get to desktop and reboot again. Then install Realtek drivers for onboard LAN. And thats really as far as I have been able to get. Can only get 2ch audio working with appleazalia kext. And of course im stuck in frame buffer mode with my GTX 580 in SL. But with that setup working for a few days and installing miscellaneous apps I loaded Sineteks kernel. dyld stuff was already patched at that point.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

Boots fine, but panics or just restarts when I open apps that gave me SIGILL on Nawcom's kernel. Audio works in iTunes, Safari & Chrome, but in VLC it plays for about 1s, then mutes for another while video plays flawlessly. Another drawback is that MacFUSE doesn't work on 64bit, though it's not kernel's fault.

I'll play with dyld etc. because I don't really remember whether I patched it by myself or just downloaded prepatched.

Feel free to correct my English, pozdrowienia z Polski ;)

Thanks for confirming more processors & feedback on the tutorial! :)

As Connactic said somewhere, this SL build is kinda just proof of concept that AMD can boot 64.

I'll add information about 64-bit kexts now. :)

How exactly did you get yours working? I have AMD Athlon II X4 645 and I keep getting kernel panics! I used this guide to patch my stuff, any ideas? :help:

Please post pics of the panics. I didn't do any extensive testing at all; I just copied the kernel to a MyHack installer and saw that it boots up.

As requested! :thumbsup_anim:

Update: Hmmm, wide angle lense doesn't fair up close... It looked fine on my iPhone!

photo20121230091136pm.jpg

Alright, add me to the list! :thumbsup_anim: I was able to fix my KP by replacing my patched dyld (obviously corrupted) with a stock one and repatching it. For anyone else with my same problem, you might need to replace your libSystem.B.dylib as well.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 645

Stock dyld and libSystem.B.dylib below:

dyld + libSystem.B.dylib

http://www.mediafire.com/?xybpr3nw9b4odo0

Req: osx 10.6.8 v1.1 (10K549)

Hi,

Is there anything available for E2 vision 1800 fusion cpu?

Thanks

Some AMD APU? Never heard... When was it released? It could probably work, just experiment and try! ;)

However, I have absolutely no information about running OS X with APU graphics...

I have 2 computers and I am in a Mac OSX class (learning about it basically)

My teacher said It would be interesting to see it work on my laptop or Desktop.

My Specs:

laptop:

Acer Aspire 7650-Sb416

CPU: AMD A6-3400M (Quad-Core)

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6520G

Motherboard: Acer Je70-SB

Chipset: AMD K12 bridge Rev 00

SouthBridge: AMD A55/A60M Rev 11

Ram: 8GB DDR3

CPU-Z Screen Shot of CPU -Facebook picture but I have it set to Public so you should be able to see it.

My Desktop:

Custom built Desktop

CPU: FX-8150 8 Core Processor

Graphics: nVidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti Dedicated RAM:1 GB X2 (I have taken one out no worries!)

Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer Inc. M5A97 Rev1.xx

Chipset: AMD RD9x0 Rev 02

SouthBridge:Amd SB910/950

LPCIO: ITE IT8721 <=No idea what this is.

Ram: 16GB DDR3

CPU-Z Photo of CPU - Facebook picture set to public.

Let me know I have been working on my laptop all week and i have gott as far as booting with nawcoms boot Cd with paramaters rd(0,0)/extras/modbin_kernel -force64 arch=i386 busratio=12 (dont even think thats right)

Help me out I know the world of Windows but i want to learn more mac and My Girlfriend wont let me get one cus there expensive. Plus I want to do it for educational purposes and learn more about this stuff.

My retail SL cd is 10.6.3 Thats what they sent me lol

• 3 months later...

AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition @ 3.6 GHz

Fully working in 64-bit mode with 64-bit environment and succesfully using 8 gigs of RAM.

My flags:

arch=X86_64 cpus=4 busratio=18 npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseAtiROM=Yes

Rest of hardware in signature.

Patched files, rebooted, installed kernel and after another reboot everythings works just fine. Before Sinetek's kernel I've been using AnV V2 kernel. The AnV's kernel works perfectly as well with arch=i386 -force64, but I was able to use only 4 gigs of RAM, otherwise lots of apps crushed and the system wasn't ok for home usage.

And with Sinetek's kernel the system boots up and works faster, I dont know if this is because of using additional 4 gigs of ram of 64-bit mode. :)

• Like 1

WOOHOO got it booting on my AMD Phenom II X4 830 processor!!! I couldn't get amd_insn_patcher to work correctly though, kept getting a "No code signature found" error or something so I downloaded the patched QuickTime components on the first post of this forum. I was able to successfully patch the "dyld" file but not the "libSystem.B.dylib" file. Would it be possible for someone to upload their patched dyld files or would that not work on my PC? I can boot with 8GB RAM recognized but it is slow and sluggish, plus apps crash so I have to use maxmem=4096 for now. Other than that it boots fine :D! Could anybody help me out??

EDIT: Uh, okay now sinetek's kernel is extremely buggy for me even with maxmem=4096. I can boot but no apps work and its really, really slow. 64 bit is enabled though. Can ANYBODY help me? I'm pretty sure this is due to the amd_insn_patcher. It just will not work for my system. PLEASE someone help me out here!

Specs:

ECS A885GM-A2 motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 2.8 Ghz (stock, will overclock soon)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6770 GPU flashed to Radeon 5770 (full QE/CI and 1920x1080 resolution)

SmrtMouth, which kernel do you use to boot up with arch=i386 -force64 ?

On my very first attempt to patch files, I deicided to use Nawcom Legacy Kernel V2. But with this kernel as soon as I've oppened the Terminal application, I got there some error regarding dyld files and the patching tool didn't work for me with Nawcom's kernel and flags arch=i386 -force64. I dont remember the correct error message I got with this kernel, but it was 100% something about dyld error and only with -force64.

But with AnV Kernel V2 I've succesfully patched everything and there were no errors in Terminal application regarding dyld files. So you can also give it a try with fresh installation and latest AnV V2 kernel, it might help you so it did for me.

Here is what I did after fresh install of 10.6.8 :

• Put AnV V2 kernel into root directory and renamed it to legacy_kernel
  • Rebooted my computer with flags:
  • legacy_kernel arch=i386 -force64 -v maxmem=4096

You might need to add some other flags for your specific system and depending on installed kexts.

• Put files from first post (Amd_insn_patcher and Pre-patched QuickTimeComponents) into /usr/bin directory
  • Followed instructions for using patcher (easily found via Google)
  • Downloaded Sinetek Phenom II kernel, renamed it into legacy_kernel and replaced existing one in root directory
  • Booted with flags:
  • legacy_kernel arch=X86_64 -v

On this step you might also need to add some specific flags for your system.

As I said before, system works great in 64-bit mode for me after doing all this and installing rest of kexts for my system. I'm even able to use software like GarageBand, which never worked on my hackintosh setup before. I'm also able now to launch some games on my machine, just tested yesterday Team Fortress 2 from Steam, which never worked before as well.

Also, Sinetek's 64-bit kernel works fine with kernel cache, so on my system I'm also using UseKernelCache=Yes flag while boothing. It has decreased my system's booting time a bit.

To be able to use flag UseKernelCache=Yes, you need to :

• You need to do this everytime after installing new kexts to your system, so I suggest to finish with installation of network/audio/video/other kexts and only then start doing this.
  • Install all kexts from /Extra folder into /System/Library/Extension folder by using Kext Utility.
  • In /Extra folder delete file Extensions.mkext and delete there ALL existing kexts and kexts folder from /Extra directory. So you have there only *.boot.plist, smbios.plist, dsdt, bootloader themes and nothing more.
  • Open Disk Utility, check your 10.6.8 partition and use Repair Permissions option.
  • Open Terminal application and type next commands one by one (BEFORE DOING ALL THIS YOU MUST BE BOOTED WITH THE KERNEL YOU ARE GOING TO USE IN THIS CASE IT MUST BE PATCHED SYSTEM BOOTED WITH SINETEK KERNEL)
  • sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

• sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded

• sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

• Now you are done, just add the UseKernelCache=Yes flag into your *.boot.plist and restart your system. Should work without any problems, but I suggest to make first boot with -v flag to make sure everything is ok, and if something wrong you can just boot without this flag or use "No" value.

But always be sure you know what you are doing. Hope some of this info can help you with your issues. :)