Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

The latest clover, I've only got r3253 installed and I updated to 10.11 B2 and obviously it can't load kexts now so I can't get into OSX.

So now you only have El Capitan PB2 installed on your computer? And your bootable USB contains PB1, I assume? Kexts are in Clover EFI or L/E?

Kexts are in clover and yeah the boot USB is B1.

Ok, there might be a few ways. 

1. you could try to download CLOVERX64.efi, putting the file on the root of your USB drive, booting in single user mode and copying it to the appropriate place in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi, then boot up with it and do the same on your installed Clover.

2. you could try installing PB1 over PB2, without formatting. After that, you can update Clover on your PC.

3. you could try booting in single user and copying CLOVERX64.efi from a location on your USB drive to the appropriate location on your computer EFI partition.

You might need to mount the EFI partition from command line in single user mode (if you don't have access to another Mac or way to access the EFI partition on your USB), so to do that, you need to boot in single user mode, and:

1. Create a mounting point:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI/

2. Check your EFI partition's Identifier (the one on the computer is usually at disk0s1, where 0 is the first hard drive in your system, and 1 is the first partition on the hard drive) using this command:

diskutil list

And look for EFI partitions. On the right side of each one of them, you should see their identifier. You will need to use that accordingly.

3. Mount partition

For scenario 1, you will need to see which is the identifier of your USB drive EFI partition, and use that to mount the EFI on the USB drive. If the identifier is disk1s1, you will need to do:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1/ /Volumes/EFI/

For scenario 3, which presumes that you have the CLOVERX64.efi file on your USB drive and you want to transfer it on your computer, assuming the identifier for your PC EFI partition is at disk0s1, you will need to do:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1/ /Volumes/EFI/

Again, this is for your HDD EFI partition.

The one on the USB stick, if you only got one HDD on your system, might be at disk1s1. So be careful which partition you're mounting.

4. Copy CLOVERX64.efi to the proper place:

Now, assuming you're going for scenario 1 (copying the file to the USB drive), and assuming you put the CLOVERX64.efi on the root of your USB drive, you will need to do:

sudo cp -v /Volumes/ElCapitanUSB/CLOVERX64.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

Where "ElCapitanUSB" is the name of your USB drive containing El Capitan PB1.

If you're going for scenario 3 (copying CLOVERX64.efi from the root of your USB to the EFI partition on your PC), you will need to do:

First unmount the previous location:

sudo unmount /dev/disk0s1/

if you mounted the EFI on your hard drive

sudo unmount /dev/disk1s1/

if you mounted the EFI on the USB

Then mount the PC EFI partition:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1/ /Volumes/EFI/

Then copy CLOVERX64.efi to the new location:

sudo cp -v /Volumes/ElCapitanUSB/CLOVERX64.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi

So, basically, you either mount the EFI on the USB, copy the file from the root USB, to the EFI on the USB and boot with the USB. Or you copy the file from the USB to the PC EFI partition, and boot the installed OS.

In any case, you will need to know the correct identifiers for your PC EFI partition and your USB EFI partition. And you do that using the diskutil list command.

Easier choice might be to install PB1 over PB2 though.

• Like 1

Ugh, thanks I will probably just try and reinstall over top.

Might be the best choice. :)

If you know what you're doing, and if you really, really don't want to reinstall (or in this case, downgrade), you can use scenario 1 or 3 to copy the updated CLOVERX64.efi either on the PC EFI or on the USB EFI (or both) and boot accordingly. There are only 3 steps: create a mounting point, mount the partition you're planning on working on (EFI on the USB or EFI on the hard drive) onto that mounting point, copy the file to the correct destination (on the USB or PC, depending on what you mounted and what you're planning to use to boot from).

I know I wrote a lot. But I can't possibly know your identifiers (I only assumed they are those that I mentioned, based on my previous experience).

So this would be the first step. Getting the identifiers for the two EFI partitions. After that, it's just a matter of copying the file to the appropriate place and boot accordingly.

Basically what you need right now (if you don't want to go for the downgrade, which would be indeed easier) is to upgrade your Clover without having access to the UI. Cause the one you have on the USB drive and on your PC, won't boot PB2. So that's it.

it's not that hard, once you understand the logic of the whole thing.

Anyway, maybe another time you'll come back to this post and you will try any of those two more complex scenarios described above. :)

Let me know how it works with scenario 2.

Hi,

I managed to copy the FakeSMC to S/L/E using the B1 boot USB Terminal and rebooted, it did something with kernelcache and rebooted and took USB out and managed to boot into the OS.

Thanks for the help though.

Or that. :))

You're welcome.

Would anyone know why my startup disks no longer show up in Yosemite? They both still show up in El Capitan but I get an error when trying to select the Yosemite one, it was fine earlier today and the last thing I did was install 3259 onto the Yosemite partition.

I can still boot into Yosemite from the Clover GUI.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-15 at 13.14.48.png

I tried replacing the EFI folder with the 3258 version but it was the same, could it be a script installed somewhere or a permission problem?

Yosemite Startup Disk

post-1303722-0-31446800-1439679629_thumb.png

El Capitan Startup Disk

post-1303722-0-26026600-1439680358_thumb.png

Also, I got no issue selecting Yosemite from El Capitan and booting automatically into it after restart. It only boots into that once, apparently, but I guess that's another story.

I fixed mine, somehow ( :hysterical:) I had ended with with a kext from El Capitan in the Yosemite S/L/E folder and when I tried to clear / rebuild my cache it failed which left me without one. I guess Yosemite didn't like this and refused to let me see the startup disks.

Once the kext was removed I cleared the cache in both partitions and let Kext Utility (With "add boot-arg options" disabled) rebuild and repair everything. I can now see both partitions from both versions of OS X and choose either one to boot into.

I fixed mine, somehow ( :hysterical:) I had ended with with a kext from El Capitan in the Yosemite S/L/E folder and when I tried to clear / rebuild my cache it failed which left me without one. I guess Yosemite didn't like this and refused to let me see the startup disks.

Once the kext was removed I cleared the cache in both partitions and let Kext Utility (With "add boot-arg options" disabled) rebuild and repair everything. I can now see both partitions from both versions of OS X and choose either one to boot into.

Ohhh being a newbie!  Surely if you use the terminal commands "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" followed by "sudo kextcache -Boot -U / " you would have seen immediately any problem kexts.

Reading this thread surely using S/L/E for 3rd party or apple modded kexts is unwise  as El Capitan approaches as Apple security efforts progress. L/E is the place for those followed by a cache rebuild. 

My question is how does one correctly install a kext in the L/E directory as the default is always S/L/E with the regular kext installers. B)

My gratitude to Slice and Applelife.ru for the recent developments

Ohhh being a newbie!  Surely if you use the terminal commands "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" followed by "sudo kextcache -Boot -U / " you would have seen immediately any problem kexts.

Reading this thread surely using S/L/E for 3rd party or apple modded kexts is unwise  as El Capitan approaches as Apple security efforts progress. L/E is the place for those followed by a cache rebuild. 

My question is how does one correctly install a kext in the L/E directory as the default is always S/L/E with the regular kext installers. B)

My gratitude to Slice and Applelife.ru for the recent developments

Simple

sudo cp -R -v /path/to/SomeKext.kext /Library/Extensions
  • Like 1

Thats how I discovered the problem, then tried to find the 10.10.5 version of the kext in the dmg file only to realise it's not present at all in Yosemite!

It was IOUSBHostFamily.kext, I must have foolishly dropped it into the wrong S/L/E when playing with how to get USB fully working in El Capitan and only noticed it days later when I cleared the cache in Yosemite.

Question

since we all had to move our kexts from CLOVER to /L/E to get 10.11 booting on the latest beta.

Will installing the latest clover EFI file. Cause errors if we have the kexts in both places? or do we need to clean them up?

I am running 10.11 B6

Question

since we all had to move our kexts from CLOVER to /L/E to get 10.11 booting on the latest beta.

Will installing the latest clover EFI file. Cause errors if we have the kexts in both places? or do we need to clean them up?

I am running 10.11 B6

I don't think it will cause errors but since Clover injection works now, having them in both places seems redundant to me.

I don't think it will cause errors but since Clover injection works now, having them in both places seems redundant to me.

oh i agree :)

I just don't want to boot loop. If i mess up something during the removal and such :P

Since there is no official package made yet. does this work 100%?

oh i agree :)

I just don't want to boot loop. If i mess up something during the removal and such :P

Since there is no official package made yet. does this work 100%?

It surely does. :) Replace the CLOVERX64.efi with the one for r3259, move your kexts from L/E back into CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and you're good to go.