Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Thanks for your feedback since the latest release of Clover 5142, just a quick question:
I managed to finish setting up for my cousin Clover r5141 running latest Big Sur on a Beelink L55 mini-PC with Core i3-5005U (as iMac16,2) and I was about to give it to him tomorrow. Does it make any sense to update to 5142, I mean I know there are always some fixes but for Big Sur is it a "must" to update? Thanks again (this will avoid me tampering with config.plist as well :D:D ) As he's not very knowledgeable with Hackintoshes, he won't be touching Clover for a long time! Looking forward to your answers. Cheers 

On 11/4/2021 at 2:05 PM, chris1111 said:

Hi @Zenith432 what is the hardware?

i3-10100, Gigabyte H410M, Clover 5142, macos 10.15.7.  I used boot-arg -DisableIOFB to disable Intel graphics to help isolate the problem.  Attached are config.plist, Clover log, and the two DSDTs saved by Clover.  The one patched by Clover does not decompile so I attached the aml file.  Root port 11 is disabled with _DSM to mask NVMe.

It hangs at the point in the screenshot I uploaded.  If I try booting from the Rescue volume (on the SATA APFS) or from a macos installation USB stick it hangs at what appears to be the same place, but there are some other messages like "AMFILoadTrustedKeysFromNVRAM: no nvram variable" instead of the messages about ahci and apfs.  I don't think these other messages are related to the hang.  I think the hang does not leave a trace in the messages printed on screen.  It's not able to reach console mode (-s).

configuration.zip

Edited by Zenith432

19 minutes ago, Zenith432 said:

i3-10100, Gigabyte H410M, Clover 5142, macos 10.15.7.  I used boot-arg -DisableIOFB to disable Intel graphics to help isolate the problem.  Attached are config.plist, Clover log, and the two DSDTs saved by Clover.  The one patched by Clover does not decompile so I attached the aml file.  Root port 11 is disabled with _DSM to mask NVMe.

It hangs at the point in the screenshot I uploaded.  If I try booting from the Rescue volume (on the SATA APFS) or from a macos installation USB stick it hangs at what appears to be the same place, but there are some other messages like "AMFILoadTrustedKeysFromNVRAM: no nvram variable" instead of the messages about ahci and apfs.  I don't think these other messages are related to the hang.  I think the hang does not leave a trace in the messages printed on screen.  It's not able to reach console mode (-s).

configuration.zip 134.3 kB · 0 downloads

test 

config.plist

35 minutes ago, Zenith432 said:

configuration.zip 134.3 kB · 1 download

Wait for @MaLd0n I contacted him he should be there, he was waiting for your hardware infos material

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MaLd0n said:

Hey, Zenith!

bios/uefi in default. reset nvram one time.

It worked and I didn't have to reset the nvram.  The firmware was set to uefi-only-no-legacy already.

Now to figure out which of the thousand changes fixed it...

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zenith432 said:

It worked and I didn't have to reset the nvram.  The firmware was set to uefi-only-no-legacy already.

Now to figure out which of the thousand changes fixed it...

Thanks.

And please have look to VoodooHDA its not capable inject from bootloader Big Sur and Monterey

Thanks

After some trial and error I figured out that this is what released the hang

<key>Comment</key>
					<string>_STA RTC</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>oAqTU1RBUwE=</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>oAqRCv8L//8=</data>

I also need injection of Lilu, WhateverGreen, XHCI-Unsupported and USBinjectAll, but this isn't related to the hang.  The need for them was masked by the hang.  They fix errors with USB and Intel graphics when it doesn't hang.

3 hours ago, chris1111 said:

And please have look to VoodooHDA its not capable inject from bootloader Big Sur and Monterey

Thanks

I don't have Big Sur or Monterey.  I stopped at Catalina 10.5.7.

I have another strange problem is that I use Asus wireless keyboard and mouse with a single RF dongle.  In macos, the mouse works, but the keyboard is unresponsive - as if it doesn't exist.  If I connect a second (wired) keyboard - it works.  Is this some known problem?  Because in the past I had Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard on a single dongle and they both worked.

Edited by Zenith432

29 minutes ago, Zenith432 said:

After some trial and error I figured out that this is what released the hang

<key>Comment</key>
					<string>_STA RTC</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>oAqTU1RBUwE=</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>oAqRCv8L//8=</data>

I also need injection of Lilu, WhateverGreen, XHCI-Unsupported and USBinjectAll, but this isn't related to the hang.  The need for them was masked by the hang.  They fix errors with USB and Intel graphics when it doesn't hang.

I don't have Big Sur or Moneterey.  I stopped at Catalina 10.5.7.

I have another strange problem is that I use Asus wireless keyboard and mouse with a single RF dongle.  In macos, the mouse works, but the keyboard is unresponsive - as if it doesn't exist.  If I connect a second (wired) keyboard - it works.  Is this some known problem?  Because in the past I had Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard on a single dongle and they both worked.

Try to create and use USBPort.kext with Hackintool instead of USBInjectall

659996925_ScreenShot2021-11-05at4_33_27PM.thumb.png.d7ad9016a261f307df2e6ab97f7e6f69.png

@chris1111: The problem with the wireless keyboard is the device itself (or its dongle) - not the USB controller.  I tried another wireless combo from Rapoo on the same port and it works fine.  All other USB ports and devices work fine.  The NVMe also works now.  It's just the Asus wireless combo - the keyboard doesn't get recognized in macos.  I don't see it in IORegistryExplorer as a keyboard.  It shows up as some unrecognized USB device.

Update:

1. The problem with Asus wireless keyboard turns out to be known (Primax dongle).  I haven't given that driver a try.
  2. I found all the active USB ports and programmed their port type via SSDT _UPC methods so I don't need USBInjectAll.kext anymore.
  3. The problem with RTC _STA freeze is also (parallely) fixed by SSDT injection instead of config.sys acpi patch as in the ssdt uploaded by @MaLd0n (ssdt-olaria).  (It's the reassignment of global STAS)

BTW: Is there a way to set the Boot->Debug configuration option via the Clover GUI instead of config.sys?

Edited by Zenith432
  • Like 3

Hello everyone, as no-one replied to my previous question/request about the benefits for updating to r5142 when r5141 works on an old Hackintosh platform, please can you perhaps help me solve this or confirm it's an issue with Clover?

On my Intel NUC Haswell (i5-4250U) I finally found the time to update from r5123 to r5139 with the use of Quirks that worked. However, in Clover boot menu, when I choose to change configs, I get this error (now copied from log):

14:039  12:512  === [ GetUserSettings ] =========================
14:042  0:002  Using config.plist at path: \EFI\CLOVER
14:044  0:002  There is a problem in plist '\EFI\CLOVER\config.plist'
14:046  0:001  Warning: Tag ':4' is already defined. Previous value ignored.
14:049  0:003  Use CloverConfigPlistValidator or look in the log
17:052  3:002  Cannot find smbios.plist at path '\EFI\CLOVER' : Not Found
17:053  0:001  '\EFI\CLOVER\smbios.plist' not loaded. Efi error Not Found
17:055  0:001  Found same BiosVersion in clover and config
17:057  0:001  BiosVersion: MM71.88Z.F000.B00.2106131851
17:058  0:001  Found same BiosReleaseDate in clover and config
17:060  0:001  BiosReleaseDate: 06/13/2021
17:063  0:003  Using EfiVersion from clover: 431.140.6.0.0
17:065  0:001  Calibrated TSC Frequency = 1895614557 = 1895MHz

Of course, CloverConfigValidator 5139 and 5142 do not point to any error in the config itself ("all looks good") and I have a hard time understanding Warning: Tag ':4' is already defined. Previous value ignored.

@Jief_Machak and @Slice there is nothing more provided in this error, can you provide any feedback please?

What is ":4" representing here, the 4th setting tag in the config.plist ? A structure? The 4th tag in my Config is <key>FixHeaders</key> under section <key>Fixes</key>
Is this FixHeaders finally inside "Fixes" or just under "ACPI" ?

Thanks for your feedback.

config-removed-serials.plist

Edited by MacKonsti

On 11/5/2021 at 5:48 PM, Zenith432 said:

BTW: Is there a way to set the Boot->Debug configuration option via the Clover GUI instead of config.sys?

Yes for Boot Log not for debug

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>

that save Log in misc

Edited by chris1111
Yes for Boot Log not for debug

Thank you @Slice for your time on this issue, appreciate it.

Inside the binary of CLOVERX64.efi this DisabledAML exists as reference.

I promise you it has been there in older versions of Clover because I had checked each tag. Anyway please see a reference found:

https://githubmemory.com/repo/LeeBinder/Asus-Vivobook-S510UA-Hackintosh/issues/1

Do you not confirm it in the Clover code-base? In any case, I removed it from the config for testing and the error is the same.

Thanks

Edited by MacKonsti

1 hour ago, MacKonsti said:

Thank you @Slice for your time on this issue, appreciate it.

Inside the binary of CLOVERX64.efi this DisabledAML exists as reference.

I promise you it has been there in older versions of Clover because I had checked each tag. Anyway please see a reference found:

https://githubmemory.com/repo/LeeBinder/Asus-Vivobook-S510UA-Hackintosh/issues/1

Do you not confirm it in the Clover code-base? In any case, I removed it from the config for testing and the error is the same.

Thanks

Yes the key is present. I just don't know who invented it. And I see no reason for "Tag :4... bla-bla...". Waiting for @Jief_Machak. May be he can explain.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:48 AM, Zenith432 said:

No, the debug should work before Clover GUI will run.

You may start Clover GUI, call Shell.efi and edit config.plist. Then return to Clover and reboot "R".

$ fs0:

$ cd efi\clover

$ edit config.plist

F4 (find "Boot")

F3 (save and exit)

$ exit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

What is ":4" representing here, the 4th setting tag in the config.plist ? A structure? The 4th tag in my Config is <key>FixHeaders</key> under section <key>Fixes</key>
Is this FixHeaders finally inside "Fixes" or just under "ACPI" ?

Thanks for your feedback.

config-removed-serials.plist 11.25 kB · 9 downloads

Yes, FixHeaders must be under ACPI and not inside Fixes.

• Like 2

Feature request:

now that Clover is on OC 0.7.4 or greater, can you implement ForceOcWriteFlash quirk as a config variable?

I see WriteFlash is hardcoded (which is ok i guess)

$ grep WriteFlash ./rEFIt_UEFI/refit/main.cpp

mOpenCoreConfiguration.Nvram.WriteFlash = true;

But I also need Uefi.Quirks.ForceOcWriteFlash (=true)
in Library/OcVariable/OcVariableLib.c

I tested by overriding (ie set to True)

IN BOOLEAN  ForceOcWriteFlash
  )
{
  // mForceOcWriteFlash = ForceOcWriteFlash;
  mForceOcWriteFlash = TRUE;

DEBUG_CODE_BEGIN ();
  mDebugInitialized = TRUE;

----

1. ForceOcWriteFlash
    Type: plist boolean
    Failsafe: false
    Description: Enables writing to flash memory for all OpenCore-managed NVRAM system variables.

Note: This value should be disabled on most types of firmware but is left configurable to account for firmware that may have issues with volatile variable storage overflows or similar. Boot issues across multiple OSes can be observed on e.g. Lenovo Thinkpad T430 and T530 without this quirk. Apple variables related to Secure Boot and hibernation are exempt from this for security reasons. Furthermore, some OpenCore variables are exempt for different reasons, such as the boot log due to an available user option, and the TSC frequency due to timing issues. When toggling this option, a NVRAM reset may be required to ensure full functionality.

Edited by tluck
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tluck said:

Feature request:

now that Clover is on OC 0.7.4 or greater, can you implement ForceOcWriteFlash quirk as a config variable?

I see WriteFlash is hardcoded (which is ok i guess)

$ grep WriteFlash ./rEFIt_UEFI/refit/main.cpp

mOpenCoreConfiguration.Nvram.WriteFlash = true;

But I also need Uefi.Quirks.ForceOcWriteFlash (=true)
in Library/OcVariable/OcVariableLib.c

I tested by overriding (ie set to True)

IN BOOLEAN  ForceOcWriteFlash
  )
{
  // mForceOcWriteFlash = ForceOcWriteFlash;
  mForceOcWriteFlash = TRUE;

DEBUG_CODE_BEGIN ();
  mDebugInitialized = TRUE;

----

1. ForceOcWriteFlash
    Type: plist boolean
    Failsafe: false
    Description: Enables writing to flash memory for all OpenCore-managed NVRAM system variables.

Note: This value should be disabled on most types of firmware but is left configurable to account for firmware that may have issues with volatile variable storage overflows or similar. Boot issues across multiple OSes can be observed on e.g. Lenovo Thinkpad T430 and T530 without this quirk. Apple variables related to Secure Boot and hibernation are exempt from this for security reasons. Furthermore, some OpenCore variables are exempt for different reasons, such as the boot log due to an available user option, and the TSC frequency due to timing issues. When toggling this option, a NVRAM reset may be required to ensure full functionality.

Test, please. Commit 1ba1ba6d6

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slice said:

Test, please. Commit 1ba1ba6d6

worked. thank you sir! 

-------------------------------

DATE: 2021-11-11 TIME: 14:21:49

0:100  0:100  MemLog inited, TSC freq: 2491902397

0:100  0:000  CPU was calibrated with ACPI PM Timer

0:100  0:000  CloverX64 : Image base = 0xD6DE8000

0:100  0:000  Clover ImageHandle = d8157c18

0:107  0:007  === [ Starting Clover ] =========================

0:107  0:000  Now is 11.11.2021,  22:21:27 (GMT)

0:107  0:000  Starting Clover revision: 5142 (master, commit 1ba1ba6d6) on Lenovo EFI

0:107  0:000  Build id: 20211111215828-1ba1ba6

0:107  0:000  Build with: [Args: -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER -t XCODE8 | --cmd-len=50000 -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER -D USE_LOW_EBDA -a X64 -b RELEASE -t XCODE8 -n 13 | OS: 11.6.1]

• Like 2

worked. thank you sir! 

DATE: 2021-11-11 TIME: 14:21:49

0:100  0:100  MemLog inited, TSC freq: 2491902397

0:100  0:000  CPU was calibrated with ACPI PM Timer

0:100  0:000  CloverX64 : Image base = 0xD6DE8000

0:100  0:000  Clover ImageHandle = d8157c18

0:107  0:007  === [ Starting Clover ] =========================

0:107  0:000  Now is 11.11.2021,  22:21:27 (GMT)

0:107  0:000  Starting Clover revision: 5142 (master, commit 1ba1ba6d6) on Lenovo EFI

0:107  0:000  Build id: 20211111215828-1ba1ba6

0:107  0:000  Build with: [Args: -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER -t XCODE8 | --cmd-len=50000 -D NO_GRUB_DRIVERS_EMBEDDED -D USE_APPLE_HFSPLUS_DRIVER -D USE_LOW_EBDA -a X64 -b RELEASE -t XCODE8 -n 13 | OS: 11.6.1]

hi tluck, can you saved brightness value when reboot with nvram script?

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

• Like 1