Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,818 posts in this topic

I also had a question, as many of you know the uefi version of clover doesn't boot legacy OS's properly on some computers. Is it possible to have clover chainload a legacy version of clover that is installed on each of my Windows and Linux drives?

It is not fully correct.

Clover can do "LegacyBoot" to legacy system or to legacy alien bootloader aka chainload.

There are two methods to do this.

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>

For legacy Clover the best will be "PBR" method. Other method is "PBRtest" for debugging purpose.

For UEFI Clover the best will be "LegacyBiosDefault". It requires CSM will be enabled.

It's a pity some hardware can't be properly turn back to legacy mode after switching to EFI-mode. One-way ticket. What to do in this case?

1. Forget legacy systems. There is 2014 now.

2. Keep legacy system on separate drive to choose it bootable from BIOS.

3. Remember Clover's boot sector boot1f32alt that is able to load boot file as well as boot1, boot3, boot6, boot7 if press a key before boot.

For example it will be boot1=Chameleon, boot2=grub, boot3=ntldr

I updated clover 2-3 days ago. Now when I boot I get errors.I rolled back to version 2689 to fix the issue.

I had to use my backup usb bootloader and set ssdt=null and disable dropoem in order to boot to fix.

Any ideas why this happened?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Change FakeSMC to other version.

• Like 1

Okay. So I finally got Mavs and Yosemite both booting flawlessly with Clover, but I was booting both off of a USB stick I had installed Clover on to install Yosemite. I decided to go ahead and install Clover on my main HDD and remove Chameleon.

Now, my Mavs install boots fine, but my Yosemite install gets stuck at PCI Configuration Begin. Doesn't happen when I boot off of the USB. Also, my Clover resolution was properly detected on the USB, but it's not detected when booting off the HDD.

Any suggestions? Still learning...

Also, can I use Clover to change the detected CPU speed in About This Mac? I over clock to 4.5GHz and I patched Mavs System Profiler to show the correct speed, but Yosemite doesn't seem to be working the same. I know this is only cosmetic but I am anal retentive like that and wanna get it show properly.

PS I probably chose the wrong options for Clover when installing. I copied over my Clover folder from the EFI folder on my USB to the EFI partition of my hard drive after installing Clover.

Any suggestions? Still learning...

Also, can I use Clover to change the detected CPU speed in About This Mac? I over clock to 4.5GHz and I patched Mavs System Profiler to show the correct speed, but Yosemite doesn't seem to be working the same. I know this is only cosmetic but I am anal retentive like that and wanna get it show properly.

There is the method. I have C2D @2400MHz but set into config.plist

<key>CPU</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FrequencyMHz</key>
		<integer>3141</integer>
	</dict>

And results

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 10.00.00.png

Speedstep works normally

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 9.58.26.png Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 9.59.37.png

So this setting is cosmetic only.

Thank you sir. Any ideas about the first issue? Why I can't boot Yosemite with Clover installed on HDD but it works fine with Clover installed on USB?

And why the resolution is wrong when booting from HDD?

It is not fully correct.

Clover can do "LegacyBoot" to legacy system or to legacy alien bootloader aka chainload.

There are two methods to do this.

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>

For legacy Clover the best will be "PBR" method. Other method is "PBRtest" for debugging purpose.

For UEFI Clover the best will be "LegacyBiosDefault". It requires CSM will be enabled.

It's a pity some hardware can't be properly turn back to legacy mode after switching to EFI-mode. One-way ticket. What to do in this case?

Now I have a different error message trying to boot my legacy Windows 7, but how do I find the LegacyBiosDefaultEntry value ?

My disk is in the first sata port 0, in Bios it's presently in 4th position (I'm not able to put it in first like I use to) and I have UEFI entries I don't want.

Is there a tool to edit UEFI entries ?

Besides that I've read an article on that mentions Clover.

State of the Hackintosh 2014

Thank you sir. Any ideas about the first issue? Why I can't boot Yosemite with Clover installed on HDD but it works fine with Clover installed on USB?

And why the resolution is wrong when booting from HDD?

It means your installation on HDD is wrong. Compare all files on HDD and on USB.

Also. If you boot from HDD then unplug USB to not mix.

The same about resolution. It depends on config.plist but no any relation from what drive the Clover booted.

That's really weird. I literally copied the folder from the USB to the HDD, they should be exactly the same...? Grrrr LOL

This is stupid. I'm just gonna get a little USB stick and install Clover on it and keep it plugged in so I can boot off of it. {censored}in irritated.

I just honestly don't see why my USB Clover and my HDD Clover with the exact same settings would behave differently?!!

Is there any actual benefit to booting my installations via EFI Clover as opposed to just continuing to boot from the USB? I can't see dealing with this stupid issue for too much longer if it's not gonna actually benefit me in some way lol :)

Is it legacy boot or uefi boot? in both cases?

What is the stop point booting from hdd?

any report/dump/log?

unplug usb!!! while booting from hdd.

Mine is now crashing on AppleTYMCE KP. Weird thing though is that a patch is included for the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS, and with the USB no KP. SSD = KP.

kernel as well as AppleTYMCE can't know if Clover booted from USB or SSD. It checks if RAM has ECC that neede for MacPro 4,1 or 5,1.

So your mistake is different config.plist.

Change FakeSMC to other version.

I'll give it another try. Are you saying I should update FakeSMC on the computer? Or FakeSMC in the Clover/Kext/10.9 folder?

I know the FakeSMC version in the 10.9 folder is older than the version installed in S/L/E.

I have another question regarding the kext folder in clover:

If I have FakeSMC in the 10.9 folder and in S/L/E what actually happens? I doesn't seem like FakeSMC is loaded twice. Should I be installing FakeSMC to Clover/Kext/10.9 instead of S/L/E or vice versa?

I'll give it another try. Are you saying I should update FakeSMC on the computer? Or FakeSMC in the Clover/Kext/10.9 folder?

I know the FakeSMC version in the 10.9 folder is older than the version installed in S/L/E.

I have another question regarding the kext folder in clover:

If I have FakeSMC in the 10.9 folder and in S/L/E what actually happens? I doesn't seem like FakeSMC is loaded twice. Should I be installing FakeSMC to Clover/Kext/10.9 instead of S/L/E or vice versa?

It is not new question

© Dmazar

Rev 2289 - InjectKextsOnlyIfNoFakeSMC

CODE

SystemParameters

InjectKextsOnlyIfNoFakeSMC

If set to true then kext from Clover/kexts/xxx will be injected only if FakeSMC is not already in kernelcache. If FakeSMC is found in kernelcache then it is taken as a hint that required kexts are already installed in /S/L/E and Clover/kexts/xxx will not be injected.

So, with InjectKextsOnlyIfNoFakeSMC=true and kexts installed in /S/L/E on installed OS X:

- booting of installer will inject Clover/kexts/xxx and there is no need to go into submenu to choose "with kexts"

- booting of Recovery will inject Clover/kexts/xxx and there is no need to go into submenu to choose "with kexts"

- booting of installed OS X will not inject Clover/kexts/xxx

Kexts injection through FSInject (when kernelcache is not up to date or not present or blocked) does not respect this new flag and will still inject kexts from Clover/kexts/xxx, but I think this is not be a big issue.

Rev 2292 - as requested, removed InjectKextsOnlyIfNoFakeSMC. The same functionality as described above can now be achieved with:

CODE

SystemParameters

InjectKexts

Detect

Alright, thanks to some help I was able to get everything sorted out and I'm now booting Mavs and Yosemite with Clover from SSD.  If you have the same issue I had feel free to DM me I'll tell you how to fix it.  Now I have another issue:

I'm using GenericUSBXHCI.kext to enable USB 3.0.  I used it with Mavs as well and it's always worked nicely.  Problem is, with Clover, my USB 3.0 ports break when I wake up from sleep.  It's happening in both Mavericks and Yosemite, and everything works fine until sleep.  Is there some type of Clover setting that I should be checking in my config?  Thanks again in advance.  

Alright, thanks to some help I was able to get everything sorted out and I'm now booting Mavs and Yosemite with Clover from SSD.  If you have the same issue I had feel free to DM me I'll tell you how to fix it.  Now I have another issue:

I'm using GenericUSBXHCI.kext to enable USB 3.0.  I used it with Mavs as well and it's always worked nicely.  Problem is, with Clover, my USB 3.0 ports break when I wake up from sleep.  It's happening in both Mavericks and Yosemite, and everything works fine until sleep.  Is there some type of Clover setting that I should be checking in my config?  Thanks again in advance.  

Play with these in you config.plist  You can get a lot of help on config here..

<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<false/>
			<key>HighCurrent</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>

• Like 1

Alright, started by turning them all to false. I don't have the HighCurrent one by default so I left it off. Don't think I have problems charging iPads anyways. Didn't work, I'll just have to turn them on and off and see if it does anything. Are any of these keys known to cause issues specifically with 3.0? Because all my other ports work fine after sleep.

Alright, started by turning them all to false. I don't have the HighCurrent one by default so I left it off. Don't think I have problems charging iPads anyways. Didn't work, I'll just have to turn them on and off and see if it does anything. Are any of these keys known to cause issues specifically with 3.0? Because all my other ports work fine after sleep.

The problem with USB 3.0 is not a Clover problem. See here and the whole thread. May be you found those solution is better.

• Like 1