ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

fn f1 sleep works..

fn f2 shuts wifi off but is buggy and delayed

fn f4-f3 the keyboard brightness fn keys are not working.. dont know if thats expected

fn f5-f6- screen brightness doesnt work as expected

fn f7- works to kill the screen backlight

fn f8- might work i will have to wait to test it with an external monitor

fn f9- doesnt work it is supposed to disable trackad.

fn f`10-f12 -audio may work after we patch the dsdt for it. I have already patched AppleHDA.kext.

this is the HDEF patch I used in mine.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		 {
			 Store (Package (0x0E)
				 {
					 "codec-id",
					 Buffer (0x04)
					 {
						 0x69, 0x02, 0xEC, 0x10
					 },
					 "built-in",
					 Buffer (One)
					 {
						 0x00
					 },
					 "hda-gfx",
					 Buffer (0x0A)
					 {
						 "onboard-2"
					 },
					 "layout-id",
					 Buffer (0x04)
					 {
						 0x0D, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
					 },
					 "model",
					 Buffer (0x25)
					 {
						 "Realtek ALC269 & Intel Display Audio"
					 },
					 "device-type",
					 Buffer (0x21)
					 {
						 "High Definition Audio Controller"
					 },
					 "PinConfigurations",
					 Buffer (Zero) {}
				 }, Local0)
			 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			 Return (Local0)
		 }

nhart you have sleep working? Mine doesn't sleep. If I close the lid fans still go full blast and when I open it again keyboard/trackpad/external mouse is dead and I have to power the computer off. (powerbutton works)

And you have the ux31a not the ux32vd right? So these DSDT patches you guys are playing around with probably wouldn't work for me? Actually I tried the one you posted in the original post and it got audio up and running but it won't sleep. Oh and I'm on 10.8.0, not 10.8.2. Too scared to update afraid things would break.

fn f1 sleep works..

fn f2 shuts wifi off but is buggy and delayed

fn f4-f3 the keyboard brightness fn keys are not working.. dont know if thats expected

fn f5-f6- screen brightness doesnt work as expected

fn f7- works to kill the screen backlight

fn f8- might work i will have to wait to test it with an external monitor

fn f9- doesnt work it is supposed to disable trackad.

fn f`10-f12 -audio may work after we patch the dsdt for it. I have already patched AppleHDA.kext.

this is the HDEF patch I used in mine.

{
			 Store (Package (0x0E)
				 {
					 "codec-id",
					 Buffer (0x04)
					 {
						 0x69, 0x02, 0xEC, 0x10
					 },
					 "built-in",
					 Buffer (One)
					 {
						 0x00
					 },
					 "hda-gfx",
					 Buffer (0x0A)
					 {
						 "onboard-2"
					 },
					 "layout-id",
					 Buffer (0x04)
					 {
						 0x0D, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
					 },
					 "model",
					 Buffer (0x25)
					 {
						 "Realtek ALC269 & Intel Display Audio"
					 },
					 "device-type",
					 Buffer (0x21)
					 {
						 "High Definition Audio Controller"
					 },
					 "PinConfigurations",
					 Buffer (Zero) {}
				 }, Local0)
			 Return (Local0)
		 }

The boot.txt is perfect! No errors found (so no more DSDT fixes). What about USB 3.0? (PXHCD.kext result loaded by reading the boot.txt)

Thanks for HDEF Patch. Added.

For FN Keys no more can be done i think. Try however to increase/decrease brightness with pause/scroll lock.

DSDT.aml.zip

nhart you have sleep working? Mine doesn't sleep. If I close the lid fans still go full blast and when I open it again keyboard/trackpad/external mouse is dead and I have to power the computer off. (powerbutton works)

And you have the ux31a not the ux32vd right? So these DSDT patches you guys are playing around with probably wouldn't work for me? Actually I tried the one you posted in the original post and it got audio up and running but it won't sleep. Oh and I'm on 10.8.0, not 10.8.2. Too scared to update afraid things would break.

yes sleep is working. i use a patched version of appleintelcpupowermanagement for ivy bridge processors. that is in that first folder i uploaded in the first post. then click on drop ssdt in chameleon wizard, if you are using chameleon(Im not sure about chimera). Just make sure that you have all your ssdt.aml files placed in System/Extra. You could try mine but i think the UX32VD has an i7 whereas mine is an i5. Mine has 11 different SSDts i had to extract, then just name them SSDT-0.aml SSDT-1.aml SSDT-2.aml etc.. and make sure they are in Extra folder. One problem I ran into was my keyboard wouldnt work after waking up from sleep, but that was fixed by using voodoops2 instead, so I dont know how that will play out for you since you had trouble with your trackpad using that. Hope this helps.

edit: forgot the most important part, make sure chameleon generates p and c states by checking the boxes in chameleon wizard

The boot.txt is perfect! No errors found (so no more DSDT fixes). What about USB 3.0? (PXHCD.kext result loaded by reading the boot.txt)

Thanks for HDEF Patch. Added.

For FN Keys no more can be done i think. Try however to increase/decrease brightness with pause/scroll lock.

I think i gave you the wrong patch for HDEF sorry! and I dont have a scroll lock but I can increase brightness with pause just cant decrease.

Also even though audio is now enabled the fn keys f10-f12 dont work

Here is the correct patch for HDEF you dont have to patch it for me I already replaced the other one with this in my dsdt thanks.

{
				Store (Package (0x06)
					{
						"hda-gfx",
						Buffer (0x0A)
						{
							"onboard-1"
						},
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							 0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						},
						"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}

I do have a few more questions tho..

Is it possible to make a keymap so i can have proper fn key?

How can I enable all the processor states? Chameleon only generates 2 states it seems.

1. I don't know anything about keymapping on OS X yet.

2. To enable C and P States, add these flags in org.Chameleon.boot.plist:

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

i have already placed those in chameleon but not all of the states are generated it seems

I have been running mountain lion on my asus ux31a for over a month now and I thought I would share my progress.

I am a beginner so these are all things Ive found all over that seem to work on this laptop so I decided to share to save others all the looking/trial and error.

So far almost everything is working with only one hardware change (swapping the intel centrino wireless/bluetooth for an atheros). Im using a Macbook air SMbios

So far whats working:

I've patched AppleHDA(attached) by following this guide (URL removed) It works with an HDEF DSDT patch i found somewhere, which Ive attached.

Ive patched the DSDT for certain other fixes just make sure your on 212 bios from asus( its the latest last time Ive checked.)

It seems to sleep/wake with no problems. Ive attached the intelcpupowermanagement kext and the ssdt files that get that working. you just need to have chameleon load the ssdts and generate p/c states.

For HD4000 GPU add this string to device properties in chameleon:

7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000002006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31

Battery meter/trackpad/keyboard/HW Monitor work with the rest of the kexts Ive attached.

OSX freezes when plugging a usb device in.. this be solved by navigating to System/Library/Extension/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins and renaming AppleUSBXHCI.kext to AppleUSBXHCI.kext.bak.. This seems to solve the issue for me.. but I havent tested USB3 functionality since i have no usb 3 devices

To-DO list

• Ive applied a patch for HDMI/HDMI-audio out.. im just waiting for a cable to test
  • VGA out does not work
  • FN Keys
  • From watching HWMonitor app the processor doesnt seem to use all the available states, it just switches between the 1584Mhz and 792Mhz states so Id like to get it to use more states cause battery life seems to suck.
  • multitouch.. im hopeful for this development thread: http://www.insanelym...ouchpad-driver/
  • Miscellaneous USB issues.. need a dsdt patch for more native fix to the USB problem mentioned above..

So hopefully this thread can hep people with this laptop, and maybe more advanced people than me can help get this laptop working flawlessly with ML

Thank you for your excellent guide and attached files.

1. How many audio output do you get ? (internal speaker, headphone, & Digital HDMI ? because I get internal speaker only.)

2. About this Apple shows HD4000 with 384 MB or 512 MB display RAM ? (Mine shows 384 MB only because I have 4 GB RAM)

3. Did you get proper HDMI audio now ?

4. If you change your device-properties to 00300660114 instead of 00200660114 you should get both internal LCD and micro HDMI-->HDMI port working at the same time as mine.

Edited by Lejenk
Removed URL

Thank you for your excellent guide and attached files.

1. How many audio output do you get ? (internal speaker, headphone, & Digital HDMI ? because I get internal speaker only.)

2. About this Apple shows HD4000 with 384 MB or 512 MB display RAM ? (Mine shows 384 MB only because I have 4 GB RAM)

3. Did you get proper HDMI audio now ?

4. If you change your device-properties to 00300660114 instead of 00200660114 you should get both internal LCD and micro HDMI-->HDMI port working at the same time as mine.

Both my headphone out and internal speaker are working. Is your headphone output not working? have you patched your dsdt? If not I can try to help you with that.

are you on the ux31a or the 32vd?

I havent tested the hdmi.. still waiting on a monitor.. i will be able to let you know next week. and i will update the guide. Interesting about the device properties I will have to try that when my monitor gets here.

Update: I tried that device string and it wouldnt boot so changed it back.

Both my headphone out and internal speaker are working. Is your headphone output not working? have you patched your dsdt? If not I can try to help you with that.

are you on the ux31a or the 32vd?

I havent tested the hdmi.. still waiting on a monitor.. i will be able to let you know next week. and i will update the guide. Interesting about the device properties I will have to try that when my monitor gets here.

Update: I tried that device string and it wouldnt boot so changed it back.

Mine is Asus UX31A.

Please show me how to enable headphone with patched DSDT.aml.

Using my device-properties (01660003) I can enable both internal LCD and external HDMI display working in 1920x1080 , but it shows 384 MB only instead of 512 MB which showed in my another Asus P8Z77 desktop's HD4000.

Thanks for your kind help again !

Hi I am also a proud owner of an Asus Zenbook Prime UX31a and ever since I got this Ultrabook I've been itching to get OS X up and running on it. Previously, I have ran Snow Leopard on an old Asus gaming laptop before and got it working just fine with only a few kext installations to fix a few minor issues.

I have no experience with DSDTs or SSDTs or the chameleon bootloader or HDEF. However, I'm eager to learn and help out to get OS X working on this stunning 1080p super thin laptop! I shall be attempting to install Mountain Lion on my zenbook prime over the coming weekends when I have time. In the meantime, if nhart12 could describe his/her installation process (like how did you swap out the wifi hardware?) that would be extremely helpful. Thanks and good luck!

Mine is Asus UX31A.

Please show me how to enable headphone with patched DSDT.aml.

Using my device-properties (01660003) I can enable both internal LCD and external HDMI display working in 1920x1080 , but it shows 384 MB only instead of 512 MB which showed in my another Asus P8Z77 desktop's HD4000.

Thanks for your kind help again !

ok well if that works for great! I will look into the reason for the 384 MB and get back to you..

Hi I am also a proud owner of an Asus Zenbook Prime UX31a and ever since I got this Ultrabook I've been itching to get OS X up and running on it. Previously, I have ran Snow Leopard on an old Asus gaming laptop before and got it working just fine with only a few kext installations to fix a few minor issues.

I have no experience with DSDTs or SSDTs or the chameleon bootloader or HDEF. However, I'm eager to learn and help out to get OS X working on this stunning 1080p super thin laptop! I shall be attempting to install Mountain Lion on my zenbook prime over the coming weekends when I have time. In the meantime, if nhart12 could describe his/her installation process (like how did you swap out the wifi hardware?) that would be extremely helpful. Thanks and good luck!

THere is a thread in the installation section that talks about installing on a UX32VD and the process is exactly the same so I would start there.

jsl, what smbios are you using?

I'm using MacBook Pro 9.2 smbios.

And what is yours ?

Any suggestion for how to update to 10.8.2 properly because I got some error during installation and only boot in safe mode working after that ?

I'm using MacBook Pro 9.2 smbios.

And what is yours ?

Any suggestion for how to update to 10.8.2 properly because I got some error during installation and only boot in safe mode working after that ?

Im using the MBAir 5,2 Im asking because Im trying to figure out why I cannot get the laptop to boot using the 0160003 platform id for he hd4000. What bootloader are you using?

Also in regards to to the update to 10.8.2 I also had problems and had to reinstall, then i updated before doing anything else, then reinstalled all the kexts.. after that, no problems.

Were you able to get power management and all the processor states working correctly?

OK so I finally got it to output to both the hdmi and vga out. but there are several problems I am experiencing. First i have to reboot for it to recognize, and second, it wont recognize both external monitors at the same time.

For instance if I boot with the hdmi plugged in it will extend my laptop display on the external.

If i boot with minivga plugged in it same thing..

But if i boot with both plugged in, all three displays are detected but one of the three always is just a black screen..

I was really hoping to get dual external monitors working but will have to live without it for now

So now almost everything is working in this laptop.. Almost there!

After booting well at internal screen, then connect mini-HDMI-->HDMI external monitor.I can got both display either independent or mirrored by my setting.However, up to now I can get only one audio output (internal speaker) and one audio input (internal mic).Without HDMI audio or headphone output.Can you show me hot to get HDMI audio working in this AppleHDA.kext and DSDT.aml provided by your post ?Because I have applied your DSDT.aml and AppleHDA.kext in vain.

Googling other websites such as Tonymacx found only ALC-8xx are supposed to be working via HDMI audio via HD4000/3000. It seems no chance for ALC-269 in this UX31A Zenbook.

By the way have you patched your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or DSDT.aml to delete NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and get better power control now ?I can boot without NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after patching AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but not sure whether I have got better power control now.

I am trying to install retail ML 10.8 on Asus Ultrabook UX31A.

Specs are: UX31A-R7202F/COREI7-3517U/4GB/256SSD

After using flags:

-v -f -x npci=0x2000 cpu=1, I proceed till it hangs on

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded.

It seems a similar issue was reported for another Asus model (see here: http://www.insanelym...ix/page__st__20)

I tried everything mentioned in that thread but that did not solve the problem.

Looks like people in this thread have installed ML successfully on Asus UX31A. So any thoughts/suggestions on how I can proceed?

Thanks in advance!

After booting well at internal screen, then connect mini-HDMI-->HDMI external monitor.I can got both display either independent or mirrored by my setting.However, up to now I can get only one audio output (internal speaker) and one audio input (internal mic).Without HDMI audio or headphone output.Can you show me hot to get HDMI audio working in this AppleHDA.kext and DSDT.aml provided by your post ?Because I have applied your DSDT.aml and AppleHDA.kext in vain.

Googling other websites such as Tonymacx found only ALC-8xx are supposed to be working via HDMI audio via HD4000/3000. It seems no chance for ALC-269 in t wohis UX31A Zenbook.

By the way have you patched your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or DSDT.aml to delete NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and get better power control now ?I can boot without NullIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after patching AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but not sure whether I have got better power control now.

I still do not have HDMI audio working,

you can try maybe following this guide (i have yet to try it so let me know how it goes if you do) : (URL Removed)

also for power management and cpu states, use CPUMonitor and it tells you the current frequency your cpu is running at.. So far I can only get 2 CPU states

Edited by Lejenk
Removed URL

So by using the DSDT etc. from the zip file attached to the first post, I was able to get ML to install on the UX31A. I also got the proper resolution (1920 x 1080) and trackpad is working.

BUT there are several issues left to fix. It seems people on this thread have been grappling with these as well, so hoping that I can get most, if not all, of these resolved with help from y'all :-)

1. Can't boot without USB: The BIOS is UEFI and it seems I have to specify a "boot option" which requires a "boot option path" .. I have no idea what path to set here. I tried a few things (like \ or \boot or fs0:\boot) but none of those work. So currently I have to boot to the install USB and then select the HDD from the boot menu to boot.

2. Audio: It says audio is working...I get the volume slider. But I don't hear any sounds. BUT microphone works. Weird.

3. Wifi: Wifi is not working. I read something about swapping to Atheros. How does one do that? Just use an external wifi?

4. Wake from sleep: Can't wake from sleep. Does this require the patched CPUPowerManagement? (I didn't install that...I am using NullCPUPower). Should I just delete NullCPUPower and install the patched PowerManagement kext from the zip?

5. Function keys: Some people in the thread mention that function keys are working for them. I couldn't use them (e.g., to adjust volume/brightness) etc. Some function key brings up Dashboard though.

6. Battery meter: I installed the patched kext for smart battery but I still can't get the battery meter to work. And because of that I also can't check the box to make it show up in the menu bar.

That's all I have noticed for now. Thanks for the help!

So by using the DSDT etc. from the zip file attached to the first post, I was able to get ML to install on the UX31A. I also got the proper resolution (1920 x 1080) and trackpad is working.

BUT there are several issues left to fix. It seems people on this thread have been grappling with these as well, so hoping that I can get most, if not all, of these resolved with help from y'all :-)

1. Can't boot without USB: The BIOS is UEFI and it seems I have to specify a "boot option" which requires a "boot option path" .. I have no idea what path to set here. I tried a few things (like \ or \boot or fs0:\boot) but none of those work. So currently I have to boot to the install USB and then select the HDD from the boot menu to boot.

2. Audio: It says audio is working...I get the volume slider. But I don't hear any sounds. BUT microphone works. Weird.

3. Wifi: Wifi is not working. I read something about swapping to Atheros. How does one do that? Just use an external wifi?

4. Wake from sleep: Can't wake from sleep. Does this require the patched CPUPowerManagement? (I didn't install that...I am using NullCPUPower). Should I just delete NullCPUPower and install the patched PowerManagement kext from the zip?

5. Function keys: Some people in the thread mention that function keys are working for them. I couldn't use them (e.g., to adjust volume/brightness) etc. Some function key brings up Dashboard though.

6. Battery meter: I installed the patched kext for smart battery but I still can't get the battery meter to work. And because of that I also can't check the box to make it show up in the menu bar.

That's all I have noticed for now. Thanks for the help!

As far as your boot problem it seems that chameleon didn't install properly.. Try reinstalling chameleon and make sure when going through the installation that it installs to your harddrive not somewhere else..

I think the problem with your audio is that since your booting from the USB it is not loading the custom dsdt, mine has the necessary patch to get it working if you are using that.. So after you install chameleon, either use chameleon wizard (search for it) to customize your org.chameleon.boot.plist to load the custom dsdt. Or you can just use my org.chameleon.boot.plist..

Also my DSDT includes a patch already for the HD4000 so if you enabled it another way you wont need that anymore.

The intel centrino card will probably never work with OSX, so you have a few options there.. If your not comfortable with opening your laptop then just get an external. If you want to swap the internal centrino wifi with something compatible then I recommend this card (wifi only) which works without configuration:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DELL-WIRELESS-1510-CARD-HALF-MINI-PCI-802-11N-BCM94322HM8L-DW1510-PW934-/150894400846?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item232201d54e

If you really want bluetooth still then this card, but will require extra kexts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR5B195-AR3011-WiFi-WLAN-Bluetooth-Combo-Half-Mini-PCI-E-Card-/260953066342?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item3cc203cb66

The problem though with both of these cards is that the Antenna connectors that came factory with this laptop are not a standard size... so you may have to play with the connectors and some solder if your looking for a permanent solution.

For sleep, yes you need the patched AppleINtelcpupowermanagement kext, but I was only able to get two processor states working so far.

I think also for the battery meter you need to install the AppleACPiplatform.kext in my folder there. but not completely sure about that try it though.,

I still have not figured out the function keys

Googling other websites such as Tonymacx found only ALC-8xx are supposed to be working via HDMI audio via HD4000/3000. It seems no chance for ALC-269 in this UX31A Zenbook.

I have now got HDMI audio working check OP