Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

Unresolved Problems:

* Sleep does not work, so make sure your Computer Energy Saver setting under System Preferences is “Never”, and disable power button sleep.

* I’d like to make the “RAID On” BIOS setting work but haven’t succeeded yet.

* iCloud/App Store access doesn’t work. I don’t yet understand how to fix this.

I welcome any suggestions for fixes or improvements.

I can help you with two of your problems. To fix sleep you have to install the new SleepEnabler kext from http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

The easiest way to install it is to download Kext Utility and then drag the kext to the kext utility icon and it will autoinstall it. Sleep should be working now.

Kext Utility can be found here: http://cvad-mac.narod2.ru/Kext_Utility/Kext_Utility.app.v2.5.0b.Lion.ready.zip

To fix iCloud I just followed the directions at http://3rr0rists.net...ion-10-7-2.html

Basically you have to change your serial number in the smbios.plist file (located in extra folder) and add one thing to the com.apple.boot.plist

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to post my success with getting 10.7.2 running on my Dell XPS 410.

Before I start, I want to say that I have a few different components than what came originally on the xps:

• My video card is a Nvidia 9600GT 512mb which I got running with NVEnabler.kext (attached below)
  • My onboard ethernet NIC is DEAD. I am using a Netgear GA311 (realtek 8169 chipset)

Since this has been a very long, confusing process, I'm just going to attach the extra folder including the DSDT that I use minus the NVenabler since not everyone will need that.

I used a 10.7.2 retail file with ######. SATA is on AUTO-DETECT and remains that way. I recommend just having one hard drive (your target install HD) installed and no other drives installed for the initial install. I also recommend unplugging any USB device other than mouse/keyboard/###### jump drive.

And lastly, I recommend removing ALL PCI cards other than what is required (for me is only my ethernet card). I stress the importance of this as it was the only thing preventing me from working ethernet (and of course the last troubleshooting step I had made with SEVERAL attempts before it).

My only problems right now are that:

1. I have to boot from the USB drive still since my hard drive has a 4k sector size (a known issue). I'll attempt to fix this when I care/am bored.
  2. I was having issues connecting to app store and icloud, but managed to fix it with this guide:

This is after updating to 10.6.8

Ok for the app store sign in issues here is a simple fix.

First go to Extra folder and check your com.apple.Boot.plist to make sure that this string is in it,

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If it isn't add it restart and see if that fixes it.

If it is in there or if adding it didn't help you need to remove some other items

Go to,

System preferences/Network

You'll want to highlight each one and remove it by clicking the - tab at bottom of box.

Then go to,

Library/Preferences/System Configuration

and delete or place on desktop the NetworkInterfaces.plist

Then restart system.

After you restart you will want to go back to System Preferences/Network and

add all the things you removed starting with ethernet.

What I had noticed is that the ethernet was labeled en0 and Airport card was en1 and after update the numbers got switched. It was only switched in the NetworkInterfaces.plist but stayed the same in every other settings so it was give conflicting things while trying to log into the app store.

Thanks Lnx2mac icon_e_biggrin.gif

XPS 410 DSDT and Kexts.zip

NVEnabler 64.kext.zip

Files and their sources:

* XPS410 Extravaganza, Post #1012 (Nov 22 2009, 11:46 PM) by Rob G

Snow Leopard files from

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=47FX5UWG

BigYin, thanks for the step by step. I've been MIA on this forum for a while because I was happy with my 10.5.7 install and never got SL to work on my rig. Now that my brother ruined my setup by updating the system to 10.5.8 through software update, I'm forced to redo my computer and thought I'd take another stab at updating to the Lion.

However, since the FBI shut down megaupload...does anyone have the SL files for "XPS410 Extravaganza"? Also, where can i find the iATKOS L2 DVD file???

Thanks!

ok, nevermind about the iATKOS dvd...found it on the iAtkos website...

So if I use that iAtkos Lion 10.7.2 dvd, I won't need to run any of the SL files from the megaupload site right since I won't be dealing with SL at all. c3hutson's XPS 410 DSDT and Kexts.zip files should be good enough to finish the install right? Anyway, I'll report later when I actually start the install.

Ok, the process seemed simple enough using the iAtkos L2 dmg. Here are the settings I used to finally get mine working without KP.

Bootloader Options

-Graphics Enabler

Drivers

Main Hardware

Hardware Sensors

+CPU sensor

+nvidia vga cards

Audio

+VoodooHDA

SATA/IDE

+ Non-AHCI SATA

VGA

nVidia

+NVEnabler

Network

Wired

+Intel Gigabit

With these settings the video and audio worked right off the bat! The only extra Kext I had to install was the sleep.

I've tried the iCloud fix but it's not working. My guess is because I installed a quad core 2.4ghz processor into the socket instead of the original so there might be a conflict in the settings when it tries to sync with the Apple servers. Either way, it's not a deal breaker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone! I successfully installed iAtkos 10,7,2 on my Dimension 9200 (q6600, 8800gts 512mb) with just the settings used by sandman post 1330. I am a beginner but is there a way to update to the latest 10,7 osx version? And what about 10,8? Is it an automatic update?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english....

• 1 month later...

I recently re-acquired this machine back form a friend. I'll be looking into getting 10.7.5/10.8.2 working on it.

Check out Original Post for information and driver pack for 10.7.5 Lion. Setup for 10.8.x Forthcoming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a motherboard failure on my XPS 410 so I've been out of the loop with 10.8 Mt. Lion on this machine. Good news is I've ordered a new replacement motherboard and it should be here next week. I'll play with gettting 10.8.x running on it. Hopefully I'll have good news.

Weird, on this new motherboard (same model) I'm having trouble getting the hard drive to show up in Disk Utility, even with the proper KEXTs loaded. Back to the drawing board. I'll figure it out :)

Hard drive problem figured out. I forgot the 410's Motherboard is really picky about RAM. I had to try about 3 or 4 different combinations of RAM placement to get one that would work. Might be a bad stick of ram or just an overly picky Motherboard.

So far I have it loaded (audio and network work great), the only issue is the Video Card (Geforce 7900GS) does not initialize properly. So I'm stuck at 1024x768 with no acceleration. Weird thing is If I boot form USB to the OS X Installer the video works fine with all the bells and whistles. I'm using the exact same kexts, exact same boot loader and exact same Extras folder on both the USB drive and on the final install. But the final install will not initialize the video no matter what settings or combinations of kexts I use. I've tried NVEnabler64.kext and Natit.kext. Strange, huh?

As soon as I can track down a Mountain Lion compatible video card I'll start in on 10.8. That should be a trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide for installing (or better yet, upgrading) to Mountain Lion on the XPS 410?

I currently have Lion 10.7.2 working on it, but can't seem to create a USB thumb drive that my machine will recognize on boot in order to install 10.8. Any post-installation guides for XPS 410 would be great too...

TIA!

• 1 month later...

I successfully installed 10.7.5 using the drivers pack from slave Zero (Dell XPS 410 Drivers 10.18.2012.zip) and everything works except the system only sees two SATA drives.

Any ideas?

I read somewhere that is the limit of IOATAFamily.kext can give only 2 sata ports.

you want more disk to get to connect to sata ports? or you could get a bigger hard drive would be nice.

you can get the kext IOATAFamily.kext from 10.6 and replace it to 10.8 to see any different.

use carbon copy cloner to to clone 10.8 to a different hard drive and try with 10.6 IOATAFamily.kext to save you time to reinstall 10.8

• 5 months later...

I'm attempting to install OS X using an Iatkos ML2 disc on my XPS 410. I can get the installer to recognize the Samsung 840PRO SSD and install successfully using the -v -f -x flags. I use the selections listed here (http://www.mactipsnow.com/2012/03/how-to-install-os-x-1073-on-dell.html) when I customize the install on the disc, but during the first boot, my monitor will shut off. I am running an Asus Nvidia GTX460 card. I have tried Graphics Enabler on and off, and tried several of the other Nvidia specific settings under Drivers. Has been able to get a fully booting install using card? What am I missing with the graphics?

Thanks,

Shawn

Unfortunately, using the latest Un1b3ast, when I try to boot to the USB and install Mavericks, my monitor shuts down and goes into power saving mode. I've tried various boot commands found on other websites for people that have had similar issues, but so far, none of them work to get me to the install screen.

Anyone have any 410-specific thoughts on this?  TIA!

I had the same problem installing iAtkos ML2 10.8.3. I had to check Disable Nvidia Drivers to get the system to boot with video. Unfortunately, it wasn't fully using my GTX460 and would freeze if I open a web page in Safari with any kind of animation at all.