Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

I think I can see why I had so many problems doing the internal install. Snow Leopard currently doesn't see ANY of my SATA drives...MAC, Windows or my two DVD drives. Tried installing NTFS-3g and MacFuse as well as some kexts (the ones I boot into Leopard with as well as some that were in this thread) and still no love there.

Network card and sound work great. (I still have my trusty Creative Audigy 2, so I have to use the kXaudio drivers). Video is so -so, but at least I have full resolution and dual monitors so I won't whine too badly about that. Updated to 10.6.4 without blinking an eye, and it actually boots pretty quickly from the external USB drive.

Biggest hurdle are the SATA drives. I'm running bios version 2.5.3, and I have run in default RAID ON mode. None of the drives are set as RAID though. Any suggestions?

if your using the same kext from 10.5 (Leopard) you need to boot with arch=x86_32 and they will work. so when you see your drive selection screen before you select a drive and hit enter type arch=x86_32 then snow leo boots in 32 bit mode and your leopard drivers will work.

i am attaching my SATA kext try them before booting in 32 bit, install them to system/library/extensions and to extra/extensions

boot with -F -V and see if that works.

sata.zip

iMoshi --

I updated my processor to the Q6600--Quad Core2 at 2.4 GHz. According to the Dell forums, it was about the fastest one that would work with the mobo limitations.

I did the upgrade before I installed Leopard, so I don't know what effect upgrading the processor would have on your Snow Leopard.

Anyways, here's something new. I've got nVidia GeForce GT 9400 1gb, 1tb HD, Snow Leopard 10.6.4, Magic Mouse (battery life sucks) and Apple Wireless keyboard (sweet thing!)... Now I wanna upgrade my CPU.

Like BrownDogFred said before, upgrading Processor will brake Snow Leopard install..? Also, what is a good processor for the Dell XPS 410? I'm thinking to drop around 300 for it :)

Upgrading the CPU DOES NOT BREAK THE INSTALL. his upgrade ahas nothing to do with the problems he is having. I have it 100% figured out. Shaft if you need help let me know, I have figured out why you cant boot off and internal drive. I have figured out how you can install snow leopard internally and boot off an internal disk.

The mobo limitations are the same as what dell says, but upgrading the cpu will not break your OS X install. I have upgraded mine twice and have the same install.

Just did a quick Google search for what that dell mobo limitation is. A hard drive limitation..? Lol I don't get it. Anyways, Thanks RobG! I'll upgrade my CPU. Hope I'll get better performance :( so that Q6600--Quad Core2 at 2.4 GHz is the best option..?

I am using the HU585 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, B30 right now its freakin great.

What about this? I thought I could save up my money and go get one of the i7 or something. But no..?

The i7, i6 ect use a different socket type they will not work on the 410. Save your money for the kentsfield quad. It's cheaper and you will love it b

Gimme a link for the one you bought :)

iMoshi --

I agree with Rob...the Kentsfield Q6600 is a great processor. My system screams in Leopard, which is why my problems with Snow are so aggravating. I did a bunch of research before I bought the processor. Basically, because we have the socket 775 and can only do front side bus (FSB) of 800, we're limited to the processors we can upgrade to. Our mobos are about 3-4 years old...which is pretty ancient stuff.

Rob --

I'd love to hear your suggested solution to my problem. I had limited success using your kexts...I could see a couple of my SATA drives, but for some reason Snow seems to hate my 2 SATA DVD drivers. This has almost become a matter of pride. I know two Mac owners that I'd just love to be able to brag to about running Snow on my PC.

I've noticed a few pages back someone had problems with VoodooHDA.kext not loading/not having any sound. I recently had the same problem on a clean install. Chmod and chown didn't help. So what I did to solve the problem, was after a fresh install, boot the Install Disc up again (rather than booting straight into the new install) and copied the kext over in Terminal from my the flash drive I use for the bootloader.

Here's how it looked for me:

cp -R /Volumes/Boot/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"Macintosh HD"/System/Library/Extensions/

Boot is the location/name of my flash drive.

"Macintosh HD" is the name of the hard drive with the install (kind of obvious), quoted because of the space.

You can copy the kext from any location as long as its mounted and readable.

iMoshi --

I agree with Rob...the Kentsfield Q6600 is a great processor. My system screams in Leopard, which is why my problems with Snow are so aggravating. I did a bunch of research before I bought the processor. Basically, because we have the socket 775 and can only do front side bus (FSB) of 800, we're limited to the processors we can upgrade to. Our mobos are about 3-4 years old...which is pretty ancient stuff.

Rob --

I'd love to hear your suggested solution to my problem. I had limited success using your kexts...I could see a couple of my SATA drives, but for some reason Snow seems to hate my 2 SATA DVD drivers. This has almost become a matter of pride. I know two Mac owners that I'd just love to be able to brag to about running Snow on my PC.

Looks good. I'll try to buy it before August ;) thanks a lot Rob! Bit little expensive, but I'm sure it's worth it :D

I know that I have read this multiple times, but wanted to re-clariffy my (410) bios settings (Not 9200):

1. Load Default Settings

2. Save Bios not Exit

3. From Advanced Menu| Drive| Sata 0 - 5 Leave | Sata 0 - On, and Sata Drives 1-5 to OFF

4. From From Advanced Menu|Drive | Sata Operation | Raid On (By Default)

What about the following:

Multiple CPU core = on

Speed Step = off

HDD acoustic mode = Performance

Execute disable (bit) = on

• 2 weeks later...
I have 10.6.4 installed and it runs great but it always hangs here for like 2-3mins after i reboot osx and get before Chamleon screenhttp://3przpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pfjg...753%5B01%5D.jpg Any solution to this?

Mine Does That Too every now and again. I dont know know why.

I know that I have read this multiple times, but wanted to re-clariffy my (410) bios settings (Not 9200):

1. Load Default Settings

2. Save Bios not Exit

3. From Advanced Menu| Drive| Sata 0 - 5 Leave | Sata 0 - On, and Sata Drives 1-5 to OFF

4. From From Advanced Menu|Drive | Sata Operation | Raid On (By Default)

What about the following:

Multiple CPU core = on

Speed Step = off

Here is how mine is set up

All My SATA ports are full and left on.

Just make sure that The Drive with The Snow installer partition is in sata 0 and the Drive your installing to is in sata 1 (unless its the same drive your installer partition is on) To install Turn raid off but after you have installed copy all the kext from extra to system/library/extensions on the snow leo install you just did, repair permissions then reboot and turn raid on. If you have raid off os x will only see the drives in SATA 0 SATA 1 SATA 2. You must have raid on to see all drives after SATA 2.

Multiple CPU core = on

Speed Step = ON

Can someone help me with the following error, please?

I installed SL 10.6 retail using my MacBook Pro. I used the following kexts found on this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1263113 Thank you frantisheq!!

Boots up in RAID On, only.

I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 on GUID partitioned flash drive, edited the texts in boot.plist and platformUUID.

I installed Cham2 RC3 and then copied the kexts in the /Extra folder found in the root of the HD. I used kext helper to install the kexts as well. I repaired permissions.

I used the software updates and installed 10.6.4. The PC only boots up with AHCI auto mode now and also only boots up whenever I have the flash drive. When I try booting via the HD, it gives me the error USBMSC identifier (see attachments).

Not sure what I can do but like I said, it boots up fine if I use the flash drive.

Thanks in advance.

-Wally

post-377661-1281579958_thumb.jpg

post-377661-1281580025_thumb.jpg

Wally-

There are 2 proven methods here. The one you've done seems to be more like the install method Rob G has used. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.

I personally prefer the EFI/Vanille install method. "If" you want to go that route, go back a few pages and see posts #1040 thru #1045 or so.

I think I put all the needed kexts along with Chameleon on one of those posts too.

NOTE: You'll need to get the newer SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.4 but other than that, you'll still have a total of 9 kexts that you'll need.

I remember Rob G talking about how his install worked only with a USB drive but I think he doesn't have that same set-up anymore, haven't talked to him in a while.

Anyhow, you basically have it, just needs a little tweaking.

I say I prefer the EFI method just because it keeps me from having to make changes to the /S/L/E directories themselves and can leave them like that were originally. All the bootup options and needed kexts load off the EFI partition........but again, thats not the only method you're limited to, Rob G's method works fine too.

Good luck.

Can someone help me with the following error, please?

I installed SL 10.6 retail using my MacBook Pro. I used the following kexts found on this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1263113 Thank you frantisheq!!

Boots up in RAID On, only.

I'm using Chameleon 2 RC3 on GUID partitioned flash drive, edited the texts in boot.plist and platformUUID.

I installed Cham2 RC3 and then copied the kexts in the /Extra folder found in the root of the HD. I used kext helper to install the kexts as well. I repaired permissions.

I used the software updates and installed 10.6.4. The PC only boots up with AHCI auto mode now and also only boots up whenever I have the flash drive. When I try booting via the HD, it gives me the error USBMSC identifier (see attachments).

Not sure what I can do but like I said, it boots up fine if I use the flash drive.

Thanks in advance.

-Wally

The USBMC identifier was present in 10 of 10 reboots on my xps 410. Did you start having this issue after you updated to 10.6.4?

If so you need to boot with raid off, then install ALL the kext in your /extra folder to system/library/extensions and delete extensions.mkext reboot and turn raid on and you should be good. as for only booting with the USB Flashdrive thats how my xps 410 boots. Browndog fred can help you boot with out it. if you have anymore questions wally message me and Ill give you my phone number so you can text/call if you need I havent been Checking this forum too much latley. Let me know how it goes Good Luck.

I have something for you to try out Browndog but it seems you dont like to answer text messages from me ;) Lol. Hit me up when you have a chance.

Thank you so much, browndogfred and Rob G!!

After a couple boot-up times with the flash drive, it didn't end up working anymore.

I ended up trying the method posted on post #870 by Rob G. I used 10.6.3 though.

After a couple times trying different kexts, it ended up working like a charm!

I'm afraid to update to 10.6.4 since it was giving me problems before. Is there something I need to do before and/or after I update to 10.6.4?

Thanks for the help again. :)

The USBMC identifier was present in 10 of 10 reboots on my xps 410. Did you start having this issue after you updated to 10.6.4?

If so you need to boot with raid off, then install ALL the kext in your /extra folder to system/library/extensions and delete extensions.mkext reboot and turn raid on and you should be good. as for only booting with the USB Flashdrive thats how my xps 410 boots. Browndog fred can help you boot with out it. if you have anymore questions wally message me and Ill give you my phone number so you can text/call if you need I havent been Checking this forum too much latley. Let me know how it goes Good Luck.

I have something for you to try out Browndog but it seems you dont like to answer text messages from me :) Lol. Hit me up when you have a chance.

Sorry dude, I hadn't been on here in awhile but came back to check it out and make sure I was good to update to 10.6.4

:(

Thank you so much, browndogfred and Rob G!!

After a couple boot-up times with the flash drive, it didn't end up working anymore.

I ended up trying the method posted on post #870 by Rob G. I used 10.6.3 though.

After a couple times trying different kexts, it ended up working like a charm!

I'm afraid to update to 10.6.4 since it was giving me problems before. Is there something I need to do before and/or after I update to 10.6.4?

Thanks for the help again. :)

You'll just need to swap the SleepEnabler.kext with a new one and you'll be good to go on 10.6.4

I used the same sleepenabler.kext in 10.6-10.6.4. Just make sure you use kext helper to reinstall all the kext from /extra before you reboot after the upgrade and you should be good.