Dell XPS 410 Resource Extravaganza

slave-zeo

1,373 posts in this topic

I Just built the worlds easiest hackintosh, it's a hell of alot faster then the xps 410 and it cost me about $680.

Msi h55-p31, intel core i5 750 2.60ghz quad 4gb ram 1tb hdd nvidia 9400 1024mb hp lightscribe DVD burner. Everything is vanilla the only non apple kext is the r1000.kext for the realtek nic.

rob g....can you please help me...I have been trying to install sl on my 9200 for almost three months now and am almost ready to give up.

I have followed these instructions:

http://earthview.co.uk/2009/11/install-gui...on-9200-dxp061/

those instructions work fine and I can boot to snow leopard....my problem is when I add efi for my pny 9400gt video card with dual dvi, i cannot get it to work with dual monitor. Here is what I have tried:

1. nvenabler and installed using kext helper b7....result, primary screen goes blank

2. efi string using osx86tools and nvidia 9000's drivers.kext ...result gets past gray apple screen and remains in blue screen and keeps flickering

Next, I followed the instructions from previous page and I ran my hack after I followed the nstructions above and added the "still waiting for root device kext" :

getting dreaded Still waiting for Root device even after installing.

Please help....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been coming back to this guide off and on for a while in an attempt to get snow leopard working on my xps 410. I am getting closer but still have not gotten it to boot. Here is what I have:

Standard XPS 410 the only thing different is the video card. Nvidia GTX 260. I generated a string using EFIstudio that I put in the com.apple.boot.plist file <key>device-proprties</key><string>HEX</string>

I went back to Brown's posts around 1042 or so and followed his guide. I have a 16 gig flash drive. 200 meg as BOOTLOADER with the kexts from his posts in the extra folder. The rest is a restored image of 10.6.3.

I am installing SL on an external USB hard drive formatted MAC OSX extended with GUID partition.

I could not get the install to boot unless I did -v -x32 -f -legacy. I went through the install and it errored out at the end which was expected according to the guide.

After the install though it will not boot. In -v mode I get the error:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

Does anyone know what this is and how to resolve this? I have tried booting with raid auto / raid on and neither seem to make a difference.

Any help is appreciated. I got through the install. I feel I'm close!

I have an XPS410 and a blank hard drive - is there a guide to setup Snow Leopard on my computer from a virgin install?

I have tried several of the guides and always end up with the Waiting for Root.

Does that cpu work in the XPS 410?

Dell XPS 410

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9450 (2.66GHz 1333FSB) with 12MB cache

OK his configuration has changed!

snakeman

Try reinstalling but this time use a partition on a HDD not a usb. I could never get usb to work.

Thanks for the info Rob_G. It took me a little while to get another SATA drive. I have it in place so I started over from scratch. For some reason now during the first boot off the USB stick my monitor is going into power save mode after loading a bunch of stuff with -v -f on. Any ideas as to what causes this?

Thanks for the info Rob_G. It took me a little while to get another SATA drive. I have it in place so I started over from scratch. For some reason now during the first boot off the USB stick my monitor is going into power save mode after loading a bunch of stuff with -v -f on. Any ideas as to what causes this?

What Video Card do you have?

Hi,

I've installed Hazard 10.6.2 on my Dell dimension 9200 (not in signature), on an external HD IDE 80Gb. Installation worked fine.

But I cannot boot without "-x" (it work only on safe mode) and I cannot view my SATA Hard Disk (2 sata 500Gb and 250Gb both NTFS); DVD sata work fine.

If I see "Information about this mac" I see them, but I cannot access. I can also see on Disk Utility, but they are unaccessible, and I cannot mount them.

I've tried to install SATA.zip on post #1204 and other files found on this 3d, but it doesn't work.

If I boot without "-x" the system crash with "system uptime in nanoseconds ....". Kernel panic appares be "backtrace (CPU 1)" but I cannot find any solution about this problem.

MY SPEC Are:

CPU: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2133 MHz (8 x 267)

MB: Dell XPS 410 / Dimension 9200 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

Chipset: Intel Broadwater P965

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (256 MB) (work fine with EFIStudio)

Controller: Intel® - controller SATA RAID ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO

ETHERNET: Intel® 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection (work but no ethernet disks)

Someone can help me?

Here a screenshot:180960773-22f2d16c51c5b7fa929be149cfb1a323.4cc160a0-scaled.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...

I can get everything running on my XPS410, except that Snow Leopard will not see ANY of my SATA drives...HD or DVD. I have tried every kext I can find, and tried editing the AppleAHCIPort.kext until I'm blue like a Smurf...no love.

The stupid thing is...when I run the install either from vanilla or Rob G's DVD, the installer sees ALL of my drives, but then something changes and I get no love.

Any suggestions before I dump this system and get a Gigabyte mobo and start all over? I have seen some error messages when I boot up with -v, but it goes by too quickly. Need the pause like we used to have in the old DOS days...

Tried the SATA kexts from post #1204...sort of helped. Now Snow Leopard gets stuck with "SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully", and I get the "Still waiting for root device" joy as well.

This really sucks out loud...

10.6.5 (Beta) is good if you use EFI partition.

I usually use Mac Journaled. Tried it with "[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]" here lately. Frustrated because the installer and Chameleon can see my SATA drives. My Leopard drive is SATA0. Lately I can get the Leopard and the Snow Leopard drives to see each other, but it still doesn't see my NTFS drives or my DVD drives.