Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

I have seen a webpage with the new iMac being disassembled in pictures. You'd need to be very brave to tackle it!

Firstly, you have to unclip the LCD screen with a glass sucker, and get to the bits inside that way, nightmare....

Even to change the HDD...

Link is here, doesn't seem to difficult now with hindsight!

http://210.157.201.118/~kodawarisan/imac_2...007_mid_01.html

I have seen a webpage with the new iMac being disassembled in pictures. You'd need to be very brave to tackle it!

Firstly, you have to unclip the LCD screen with a glass sucker, and get to the bits inside that way, nightmare....

Even to change the HDD...

Link is here, doesn't seem to difficult now with hindsight!

http://210.157.201.118/~kodawarisan/imac_2...007_mid_01.html

Nice find on that info... looks pretty straightforward with the proper tools. I'm wondering if there is adhesive around the glass (those little pads shown on the sub-page) or if the tolerances are just that tight.

I just saw those locating tabs at the bottom as well.

I'll have to start looking for a suitable suction cup.. looks like an apple tool. I'm sure the Mac techs use 'em. I'll bum around at the store and try and make nice with someone.

that guy had all the equipment I would expect to find at a repair center. Friend of mine's g/f can read japanese I think... I'll see if she'll translate for us.

Any opinions on the hard drive swap?

Thanks again for your help and to all the contributors. I'm a total Mac newbie... the last apple I owned had a IIc after the name, and a 300 baud modem. We were cutting edge at the time... :)

Ahh... I miss the good old days of the BBS.

I do love this iMac though, I'm glad I finally made the jump.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Caslon,

I too own a 24" iMac Aluminum. A couple of months ago you said you would be posting some pictures of that one disassembled. If you have them could you still post them. I've heard that you can change the graphics card and if I get the need to someday it would be nice to have the pictures as a walkthrough.

Thanks

Caff

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for any potential redundancy. If I install an Apple replacement 7600gt 256ddr3 vram card in place of the 7300gt 128ddr3 vram card in my 24" 2.16 imac, would the EFI or other files require updating on my part or is it "plug and play?" If I am running Boot Camp, will this require a manual change on the Window's side?

THanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just picked up an iMac 24" 2.33ghz with 3gigs of ram and the Apple installed 750gig drive, but unfortunately even though the previous owner sprung for all the other upgrades, they kept the lousy 7300 video card. This machine will keep me happily desktop-mac'ing until I build my hackintosh. :)

#1) THANK YOU for this thread!

#2) If mac-resource runs out, you can get these parts at dvwarehouse. I don't know the folks there, but their price seems very close, perhaps a little lower.

#3) (semi-unrelated) :D the ethernet port on my recent acquisition seems to be bad. Has anyone tried to replace this part, or is it so integrated that I should just be happy that my wireless works fine?

It's part of the logic board. Try cleaning it and make sure the wire connectors inside the RJ45 port are clean and in line. If it is bad you can get a USB2.0 ethernet adapter if you don't need the gigabit speed and want to be hard wired.

• 4 weeks later...
I just purchased an apple 7600GT 256 meg card and installed it without issue. They are available at mac-resource.com for around $235 after shipping which was overnight. Great people as well. Hope this helps.

I just have a quick question? Why are you installing video cards of less ability than the ones that come with the computers?

Sup Ballmer, say, could you do me a favor and stop production of the Zune... ;) [jk]

I have the REAL, full Apple take apart manuals, used by real Apple Guys [me] :P

You should have used one to make sure you took it apart correctly...

Think Mark

Sup Ballmer, say, could you do me a favor and stop production of the Zune... :D [jk]

I have the REAL, full Apple take apart manuals, used by real Apple Guys [me] :P

You should have used one to make sure you took it apart correctly...

Afraid of our Zune down there in Cupertino?

HA-HA!

Just wait for the next version - 500 gig SSD, 1080p capable HD OLED display, free worldwide WiFi internet acces, WiFi TV (including free channels like Microsoft staff surveillance channel) ...

All for just $299! :D :D :D

And yes, iMac_24in.pdf tells explicitly how to do it. :D

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im not sure if i should order an new aluminium iMac 24" with 320GB or 500GB harddisk, is the guarantee voided if im getting inside my new iMac?

What can i do and still have my guarantee left?

Is it hard to change the harddisk? Im only familiar at building PC's and replace PC parts...

Do you experience thermal issuses or problems with the display on your aluminium iMac 24"?

Im scared of buying a aluminium iMac 24" because all the problems i read about the computer... Ending up with a expensive and "high quality" computer that are hot as **** and with a display with gradient lightning and dead pixels...

If you're feeling up for the upgrade, save yourself some $$ and buy the 320gb version. There are quite a few take apart guides on the net. According to this one, you can replace the drive without damaging any "warranty void" stickers.

Looks like a tricky upgrade, a lot trickier than your usual PC upgrade, it takes some skills. I replaced the HDD of an emac once, that was terrible! Took me hours and hours...

But this looks a lot easier, certainly do-able, as long as you work carefully and patiently...

I haven't got an iMac, but it seems to run really cool...on this thread, nobody is reporting any temperatures about 60 C, that's cool! (the guy who started was worried about his temps, but look at them!) Also amongst these hundreds of user reports, nobody complaining about heat issues...

To anyone who needs one. I have an extra Nvidia 7600gt 256mb imac video upgrade card with heatsink. I was going to upgrade a client and he opted for the total imac upgrade after I purchased the card and held it for over a month. It is new and has been tested to make sure it works properly. If you read the links above you will see where I purchased it and how much it costs. IM me if you are interested in a decent discount.