Best videocard for Mountain Lion?

25 posts in this topic

When OSX ML comes out, I will go back to OSX86. Unfortunatly, I'm stuck with the GTX 465 from Nvidia. Tried it with Montain Lion DP1 and it was a pain to get it working. HW support never worked, and I gave it up and went back to Windows.

I can get my hands on a Ati HD6950 pretty soon, and I was wondering if this really works out of the box? I want Multi-monitor support and good HW Acceleration.

Or is there any other videocard you guys recommend?

Well, I don't own either of those personally, but as far as I know the GTX 465 should not be all that problematic, either get drivers direct from nvidia, or use chameleon's graphics enabler.These days, aside from models just released, the list of desktop cards that don't work would be much shorter than the list of card's that do

With the new Macbook Pros using Kepler chipsets from Nvidia, the GTX680 should work. However, withouth one to test i can't confirm. I'm using an AMD Radeon 6850 and it works perfectly OOB with no tweaking required

6950 might be troublesome - 69xx models have always been troublesome. I use a 6870 and it works fine in DP4. It required a bit of work due to the drivers still being a bit buggy but it worked without a hitch in Lion and should work without a hitch in retail Mountain Lion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, from what I have; a 6950, you CAN get it to work. But it does not work fully, nor does it work OOB. So I suggest avoid this one until netkas and his team get this to run, or Apple/AMD figure this {censored} out.. Because in Lion it started to work (no cold boot bug, but OpenCL doesn't work) but in ML things have really screwed up so..

But from my experience, my 6950 non-ref model is working in ML GM (without OpenCL, i.e. you get green garbage in Photoshop and Unigine, etc) but iTunes is fixed with a patch.

Just a heads up!

If you want nVidia go for the gtx 680

If it's ATI/AMD then grab yourself the 6870.

From experience, those are the two easiest modern day cards you could get working. What you actually choose from there will be from personal preference like do you want CUDA? I know personally I'm gonna nab me a 680 to go with my 6870 to get the best of both with openCL and CUDA once I get os x to play nicely with them both running in tandem.

Bottom line, to get the 680 working it's an OOB card. The 6870 doesn't require a whole lot of work just a perl script for your connector IDs to work properly and setting the FB of your choice. Looking back at when it was hell getting some gpus working in OS X, I really wouldn't complain about a card being too difficult to work as things are much easier these days.

Some good news :) Installed the GM build (using myHack to create the install USB disk), and I can confirm that the GTX465 is fully working. No need for a special trick or driver, it works out of the box (Graphicsenabler=1). Dual monitor setup is working great and also out of the box.

Animations are very smooth and I tried some YouTube HD which also worked good enough. However, the playback is a little worse then it is on Windows 7 though. I see some lag in the first few seconds, and the overall responsiveness when skipping and stuff like that, isn't perfect. Maybe it's because of Flash and it's normal in OSX, not really sure about that.

• 2 weeks later...

One quick question : I have installed Mountain Lion on my system ( Core 2 duo 4300, 4 gb ram, Gigabyte 965g ds3, msi gts 250 1gb oc ). When i try to connect second monitor (lcd tv via dvi to hdmi adapter + hdmi cable) the mountain lion does not start anymore (white screen at startup). The video card worked out of the box after installation. Any advice to benefit of dual display ?

Thanks in advance

@iLeopod - thanks for the answer but my gts250 doesn't have HDMI. I am using one DVI to VGA adapter for the monitor and one DVI to HDMI for the LCD TV.

Do you know a solution for my problem (mountain lion does not boot if lcd tv is connected to my video card ) , maybe a way to make dual display ?

Thanks in advance