Anything relevant since JaS' 10.4.7 release?

guiyoforward

45 posts in this topic

Hi there fellow osx86ers,

I have been reading these forums consistently for the last few months, and it really looks like nothing great has happened besides JaS' 10.4.7 release. Please let me know if I'm wrong, but I kind of see always the same type of threads, like hardware xxx doesn't work -> check the forums dude -> solution is here/is not available, over and over.

Is there something exciting happening at hackint0sh, say, like work on hacking the 10.4.7 kernel so we can get rid of the old and trusty 10.4.4? Or perhaps are there any news about the porting of video drivers from the new imac cards to the wider hackintosh world?

May be it's just me, but I wanted to know if you guys/girls felt that we've reached some kind of stalemate

cheers

Cracking the 10.4.4 kernel was a monumental task. Only one programmer had the talent and stamina to do it - Maxxuss. And he has (apparently) wisely moved on. Once you have "done it", what challenge is there? He met the challenge. Done.

NO other programmer is likely to hack a Mac kernel. No one who has shown face on this site is even remotely capable or reproducing the work Maxxuss did hacking the kernel. Indeed, that person would have to virtually start from scratch -- Maxxuss spent five months dissecting and de-compiling the kernel. It was complex beyond belief (trust me). He did not leave an instruction manual or any guide to the process, only a few hints about the problems he encountered.

So now you have a hack Mac. It works. It runs around kernel 10.4.4. Other talented folks have worked to allow updates of non-kernel system processes (simple tasks RELATIVE to the kernel hack). And that is the end of the story.

Having watched this all develop over the last year, it does get a bit boring. It was fun eight months ago to make my Dell run OSX. But really, if you want a system to use on a daily basis for a few years to come, you will need to buy a Mac. Then run Parallel virtualization or double-boot for Windows. A hack mac is a game, a geek side trip. As a geek, I found it fun. I had never played with OSX. I built a custom compatible box to run OSX, just for amusement really. On my current box I can boot three Linux distros, Mac OS, Windows 2000, XP and Vista RC1. But I use one OS -- XP -- for all the real work I do. In a year or so I will move to Vista.

If you really need to use a OSX system, day after day, year after year, just buy a Mac.

Cracking the 10.4.4 kernel was a monumental task. Only one programmer had the talent and stamina to do it - Maxxuss. And he has (apparently) wisely moved on. Once you have "done it", what challenge is there? He met the challenge. Done.

NO other programmer is likely to hack a Mac kernel. No one who has shown face on this site is even remotely capable or reproducing the work Maxxuss did hacking the kernel. Indeed, that person would have to virtually start from scratch -- Maxxuss spent five months dissecting and de-compiling the kernel. It was complex beyond belief (trust me). He did not leave an instruction manual or any guide to the process, only a few hints about the problems he encountered.

So now you have a hack Mac. It works. It runs around kernel 10.4.4. Other talented folks have worked to allow updates of non-kernel system processes (simple tasks RELATIVE to the kernel hack). And that is the end of the story.

Having watched this all develop over the last year, it does get a bit boring. It was fun eight months ago to make my Dell run OSX. But really, if you want a system to use on a daily basis for a few years to come, you will need to buy a Mac. Then run Parallel virtualization or double-boot for Windows. A hack mac is a game, a geek side trip. As a geek, I found it fun. I had never played with OSX. I built a custom compatible box to run OSX, just for amusement really. On my current box I can boot three Linux distros, Mac OS, Windows 2000, XP and Vista RC1. But I use one OS -- XP -- for all the real work I do. In a year or so I will move to Vista.

If you really need to use a OSX system, day after day, year after year, just buy a Mac.

Very good post

OK, opinions:

jdxxx: "NO other programmer is likely to hack a Mac kernel."

Kiko: "a 10.4.5 kernel is being cracked, a 10.4.7 kernel is being compiled."

Only one can be correct. Which one?

Kiko: Do you know that from personal experience with the hacker(s) or from rumors.

everybody is suckign maxxuss off. He's liek a god for some. Yes i do know from personalaly that a 10.4.5 kernel is being cracked (but you need core duo to use it), and the last time i checked a 10.4.7 kernel was being built form the xnu sources

Well, I have the same opinion - this project , as sorry as I am, it will be death in 1 year - no progress have been made since boris , the latest great hack for x1600 xt users. The kernel is still 10.4.4 - and in OSX world, like in linux, even a minor number like +1 is speed stability, etc. Now all that I hope is that the efi team will manage to make some progess. Also, the sound card situation under osx is more that a nightmare ... no pogress with sigmatel team, not to say any words about pci cards ...

I love how it's gone from...

Thank you for allowing us to try out OS X...

to...

WE EXPECT A FULLY COMPATIBLE BRAND NEW RELEASE NOOWWWWW!!!

Get off your high horse, this is a great community, if people would read it would be much more streamlined.

Sorry, I'm not buying into this "stalemate" theory.. just look elsewhere in the forums for great conversations...

to...

Get off your high horse, this is a great community, if people would read it would be much more streamlined.

Sorry, I'm not buying into this "stalemate" theory.. just look elsewhere in the forums for great conversations...

Well, said. Lower your expectations 'cause we'll always be steps behind Apple, hopely not too far.

I'm happily using 10.4.4 each and every single day (finally, I'm away from Windows XP).

If you are bored, try Ice guiKit with Shiftshape (killer eye candy).

EDIT: Cold guikit, here is link http://macthemesforums.net/viewtopic.php?t...&highlight=

to...

This is right on target. Those of us too rebellious, too poor, or too unwilling to buy a real Macintosh should be doing nothing but singing high praises for this opportunity.

There will *always* be continued development on this project, and even if there weren't, I'll bet OSx86 has a pretty solid installed base of users considering what a feat it was to provide compatiblity for the myriad of PC configurations out there. The demands of "More, Now, Better" need to be balanced out by the realization of how far we've come [or been taken].

This is right on target. Those of us too rebellious, too poor, or too unwilling to buy a real Macintosh should be doing nothing but singing high praises for this opportunity.

There will *always* be continued development on this project, and even if there weren't, I'll bet OSx86 has a pretty solid installed base of users considering what a feat it was to provide compatiblity for the myriad of PC configurations out there. The demands of "More, Now, Better" need to be balanced out by the realization of how far we've come [or been taken].

I don't think this is about "more now better". At least not for me. I am just wondering about the status of the projects given the two seemingly conflicting statements posted above.

I don't think this is about "more now better". At least not for me. I am just wondering about the status of the projects given the two seemingly conflicting statements posted above.
They are not conflicting - work is being done by some people. But so far there is neither a hacked .5 nor a .7 kernel that that boots ANY hackint0sh all the way. However, one of the main developers built a kernel extensions that can decrypt the files apple decrypted so they cannot be used on a non-intel machine "on-the-fly", so it is very likely that we can use the 10.4.8 update RIGHT AWAY once it has been published by Apple. Well that's what I call progress!!

Mac OS X's Mach kernel CANNOT be compared 1:1 with the Linux kernel because the mach kernel is a micro kernel (with many features sourced out), the Linux kernel is a macro kernel whith much less commands sourced out. So for Mac OS X we are not missing THAT much by still using the 10.4.4 kernel. Much more important is being able to use current frameworks, and we are able to do that, and do so. The only framework nobody can use is the kernel fw, and some people cannot use the open gl framework. But in general we can be (still) be quite satisfied.

Like said before above there is also quite some progress happening @ MacVidia. The new drivers have really boosted my system. And according to the main developer there (_np) his upcoming drivers "will be better than Apple's" .. :o - so let's wait and see.

Thanks for the GREAT info!

They are not conflicting - work is being done by some people.

These are the statements I was referring to--they definitely conflict:

jdxxx: "NO other programmer is likely to hack a Mac kernel."

Kiko: "a 10.4.5 kernel is being cracked"

I agree with this except for the Vista part. Windows will always be targeted and will never even come close to any OS that Apple Releases...

I sold most of my PCs about a year ago, (5 total) and bought true Apple machines. The switch was great because of the non-existance of spyware and viruses for the Mac.

If I would have to hack 5 PCs to get OS X86 running on them this would be a nightmare.

I use OS X86 mainly on a spare drive on my work laptop when on the road this way I only have to carry one laptop while traveling. I can run XP and OS X86. It was a bonus to get OSx86 on my Dell Laptop. It works great for just surfing and email. Other uses are not practical so I use my real Macs for the fun stuff.

I also use the OS x86 to let friends and family get a test drive of OS X on their PCs. It is great for that but for 100% compatiblity it is not the way to go. Support Apple by buying a true Mac. ;)

to...

OK, I expected some flaming form this thread, let me clarify my stance here: I am 100% grateful for the releases, I love this community where I participate, but I feel that either there hasn't been a lot of progress lately (STRESS THE "feel" part please) or that the ones making a lot of progress are not communicating it in a transparent way (for whatever reason - that's really up to them!).

So I got the purpose right: contributors to this thread pointed out quite a few advances taht I was not aware of (on the fly stuff, video drivers...). GREAT to know about it. Thanks!

This may sound a little off the wall, but the sudden disappearance of some of the leading people involved in getting "the rest of us" the ability ro run OSX seems a little more than coincidence. These poeple were all vey avidly involved in making OSX work on non Mac hardware and then just dropped off the radar. Does anyone think that it is possible that Apple thought that these people were far too talented and picked them up? The idea seems plausable and might explain the disappearance.

That's just my conspiracy theory...

Aside from that, I am very happy to have the ability to run something other than Windows on my computer. This is my official thanks to all those who had a hand in that, past present, and future.