[Guide] Installing Mountain Lion.

117 posts in this topic

I use a DSDT that I found on OSX86.net. It's meant for a mobo that's similar to mine. Can I create one that fits my board perfectly? And what's a patched DSDT?

DSDTs can be quite board and setup specific. If you are going to extract your own DSDT do not boot up with another. Boot up without a DSDT if you want to extract your own native DSDT. A patched DSDT is simply one that has some lines of code added to add functionality so you don't have to use certain kexts. It makes for a more "vanilla" install. For example my patched DSDT enables me to forgo using the nullcpumpowermanagement Kext. There are patches for sound and other things. I am no expert on DSDTs. Someone patched mine for me many moons ago.

For people having problems with -Only boots in safe mode-

Try booting with UseKernelCache=No

If it succeed add this line to the Kernel Flags on the org.chameleon.boot.plist / org.apple.boot.plist

Will try this once I reach home and post the result.

Thanks so much for this great tutorial. 10.8 boots perfect but unfortunately without USB at all.. No mouse or keyboard. Tried different hardware but no result. Only with -f the USB will work but my system doesn't open any program with that boot flag.

Anybody..?? Thanks.

For people having problems with -Only boots in safe mode-

Try booting with UseKernelCache=No

If it succeed add this line to the Kernel Flags on the org.chameleon.boot.plist / org.apple.boot.plist

Just tested this, the same result.

DIdn't work in my case. After typing -v (for verbose) in the initial part of the install, of course lots of cryptic text whizzes by. But before I could see what's wrong, it reboots. Tried doing it from scratch the 2nd time, same result. Using the GM, by the way, on an Asrock G41M-VS3 + Q9550 + 4gbx2 ram + 9500GT.

The process is very similar the way I did it in Lion, using MaLd0n's guide. I din't have a problem on that one.

Oh well ... back to work in the meantime ... and will wait for someone who could install this on the same hardware as mine.

Try a different Chameleon. I had your problem and that fixed the issue. I am now using Chameleon r2015. Let me know if that fixes your problem. Also make sure you used Kext Wizard to place FakeSMC in the System\Library\Extensions folder and repair permissions afterwards.

Just tried Chameleon r2015 you recommended and ran Kext Utility from safe mode of ML to reset permission. I was using Kext Wizard previously as it allowed me to select which drive to install kext where Kext Utility didn't allow it. Unfortunately, both of these actions didn't make a difference. Still stalling at boot unless booting in safe mode.

One thing I have noticed just now, is that the first line in boot.log (assuming the first line is the last entry) under root is as below:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext/Contents/Info.plist] 2335 bytes.

Where my Lion's boot.log has a different first line. Does it suggest the problem is indeed NVidia 8400GS?

Mountain Lion installed fine on my GA-P35-DS3R / ATI 4850 but booting to the desktop is a no go.

Startup stops at ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

I dont see DSMOS has arrived...

Try another fakeSMC? Verifiry if your fake is x64_86 in kext wizard.

Hi Macq,

Any luck with this issue? May be its a graphic card (kext), but its not booting even with GraphicsEnabler=No

mine is a laptop but my install also stalls with the follwing lines at boot,

DSMOS has arrived

[iOBluetoothHCIController]....

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

Dont know why but 10.7.4 works fine .

This started from dp2 before that everything worked fine till dp1.

my build is in my signature

Finally got it working perfectly, by injecting the device ID into NVDANV50Hal.kext!! The 8400GS video card wasn't recognised natively and the existing Chameleon didn't seem to inject the device ID into ML correctly.

• Like 1

Sound great :-) will try today.

Finally got it working perfectly, by injecting the device ID into NVDANV50Hal.kext!! The 8400GS video card wasn't recognised natively and the existing Chameleon didn't seem to inject the device ID into ML correctly.

Hi Macq,

Any luck with this issue? May be its a graphic card (kext), but its not booting even with GraphicsEnabler=No

No ,

havent got any success.

The frustrating thing is that after a number of tries it boots perfectly out of the blue ,with everything working fine as in lion.

This lasts for 2-3 reboots and it stalls again at same point without any reason.So why it boots only occasionally is not clear.

Also this seems to be affecting quiet a few people.

please Share if you find a fix anytime

Thanks

Hey all,

I have installed on a Dell Inspiron 530 that has Lion working perfectly (separate partition.). During the install I did receive an "install failed" message at the end, but ML will boot and run fine.... UNTIL I try to repair permissions; then I have an error message appear: "Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk.". There is another thread that references the problem being a corrupt ML image, but I have tried two different images and installed fine on two MacBook Pros with the same image, no problems. Any thoughts, or ways I can fix this prob?

Not working for me, only boot to safe mode or if I remove NVDAResman.kext but without VGA support :-s

How did you inject the video string? The video fix could possibly make the booting progress further, but if there are other kext causing problem, it would panic again. It worked for my 8400GS. Milage may vary for other cards, but the concept should be the same.

I've added my card id to NVDANV50Hal.kext info.plist IOPCIMatch using PlistEdit Pro and installed it using Kext Utility, may be other kext also need this modification, like NVDAResman.kext.

How did you inject the video string? The video fix could possibly make the booting progress further, but if there are other kext causing problem, it would panic again. It worked for my 8400GS. Milage may vary for other cards, but the concept should be the same.

Your graphic card is the same as mine, and it should work. Make sure you rebuild the cache. I used Kext Wizard to fix permission and rebuild cache for SLE completely.

My first attempt of changing the info.plist didn't actually modify the file, and it automatically reverted back to the original setting. You can try copying NVDANV50Hal.kext to the desktop, and modify info.plist there, then use kext wizard to put it back, then rebuild cache.

It didn't work for me for the first attempt and after a few tries it worked for some odd reason. Maybe permission related.

This website doesn't seem to allow me to upload the kext file. I will just post the info.plist here. Maybe you need to over write one of the unused values instead of adding a new line. Changing this line was all it took for me to boot successfully into GUI login screen.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>NVDANV50Hal</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>NVDANV50Hal 8.0.51 295.30.00f01</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.nvidia.nv50hal</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>NVIDIA NV50 Resman Kernel Extension</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>8.0.51</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>NVidiaRM</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>NVDANV50HAL</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOService</string>

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x03000000&0xff000000</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>

0x019010de&0xfff0ffff

0x040010de&0xfff0ffff

0x041010de&0xfff0ffff

0x041010de&0xfff0ffff

0x042010de&0xfff0ffff

0x043010de&0xfff0ffff

0x046010de&0xfff0ffff

0x052010de&0xfff0ffff

0x05c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x05e010de&0xffe0ffff

0x060010de&0xffe0ffff

0x062010de&0xffe0ffff

0x06e410de&0xffe0ffff

0x086010de&0xffe0ffff

0x08a010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a0010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0a6010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ca010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0d4010de&0xffe0ffff

0x10c010de&0xffe0ffff

</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>60000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleCompatibleVersion</key>

<string>1.2.0</string>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.NVDAResman</key>

<string>1.2.0</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>2.4</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>9.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>9.0.0</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Safe Boot</string>

</dict>

</plist>

• Like 1

Thanks alot Monto, got it working :-) 10.7.4 and 10.8 dual boot, graphics, sound, network all working, just have 2 problems now, USB over current notice on boot and TP-LINK TL-WIN727N wireless UBS adapter.

This website doesn't seem to allow me to upload the kext file. I will just post the info.plist here. Maybe you need to over write one of the unused values instead of adding a new line. Changing this line was all it took for me to boot successfully into GUI login screen.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>NVDANV50Hal</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>NVDANV50Hal 8.0.51 295.30.00f01</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>