[Guide] Installing Mountain Lion.

117 posts in this topic

Prerequisites

-Mac or Hackintosh. Can be your own mac if you have one or a friend's.

-USB drive or sperate Partition. For installation.

-Mountain Lion DMG. If you are a developer. Or can find it at numerous torrent sites.

-Zip Files containing install files(Please note the package of files are not mine slightly edited for this guide.)

-Time 30-60 Minutes.

My Hardware

Intel® Core i7 920 2.66GHz

12 Gigs DDR3 1066mhz Ram

Asus Rampage II Gene

200 Gig HDD (for Hackintosh)

1TB HDD (For windows)

Realtek ethernet

Broadcom Bluetooth

Formatting Your Hard Drive.

If your on windows you'll need to use Disk Management.

Open the startmenu, and type in diskmgmt.msc or use Run

Shrink the HDD you want to install Mountain Lion on.

If your already on a mac you can make a new partition to install lion if you would like (I did not)

Preparing your install Partition/Flash Drive.

The process for both are basically the same.

Open Disk Utility and Select your USB flash Drive and format it as Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Hit Erase

If making a install partition on your current Hackintosh install do this.

-Shrink your Current Partition you use for Mac OS X (you'll need 5-10 gigs not much.)

your done with Disk Utility for now.

Preparing the Install USB/Partition.

-Mount the DMG for Mountain Lion.

-Next We'll need to run Show-Hide Files found in the ZIP file you've downloaded. (this will restart finder)

-next run this command in terminal "open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg"

-Now Open Disk Utility again.

-Select your install partition/Flash Drive.

-Click on restore Drag the BaseSystem.dmg found on your desktop or the folder that opened up. Drag your Install Partition/USB to the Destination and Click Restore. It'll give you a warning about Erasing it click on Erase.

-Now'll we'll need to open your Partition/USB Find which one is your on the desktop and open it.

Go To "/System/installation/" Theirs a link to packages remove it, and create a new folder called "packages"

-Go to the original Mac OS X Install ESD and copy the contents of packages to the folder you made.

- if your going to install from a USB we're going to need to install Chameleon

-Run the installer. Select the USB drive and click customize and select the packages you require.

"Fixing" the Installation.

-Copy to the Two .Kexts files found in the ML_OSx86_Files folder to "/System/library/extensions/"

-Next copy the OSInstall file to "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/" (may not be needed depending on your install (i did not)) overwrite whats already there.

-Copy the OSinstall to "/System/Installation/Packages/" overwriting whats already there.

-Run the Chameleon install package. Remember to select customized install and select all the Options/enablers needed (SMbios etc)

-Copy over the Mach_kernel found in the root of the Mac OS X install ESD to the root of your Partition/USB drive.

*note if your upgrading to Mountain Lion from 10.7 update your Chamleon to the package I have provided and select SMBios and enables you'll need for your setup

-Now move the Chamleon package to the root of the Partition/USB drive.

Installing Mountain Lion.

-Boot from whatever you've made either a Install Partition or a Flash Drive. (boot in Verbose -v)

-Once you get into the installer select the Drive you want to install Mountain Lion.

-Incase you get an error Kernel panic etc take a picture were we can help you.

-the install may take a while so sit back and wait.

Booting into 10.8

-If you installed from a partition you can boot from just fine with out install Chameleon again!

-If you installed from a USB.

boot from USB and select the Drive where you installed Mountain Lion to and boot verbose.

-If you upgraded from 10.7 you will not be promoted with setup if you did a clean install you'll go through the setup process.

Installing the Bootloader.

-Run the Chameleon package and select all the Enablers you requirer and the SMBOIS.

You're Done!

Congratulations your successfully installed Mountain Lion on your PC!!!!!!!!

This is my First Tutorial of any kind and may not be written to well sorry about that. Hope it helps you anyways.

Files here http://cl.ly/EMMR

• Like 3

Hmmm...not work for me....machine keep restarting over and over i even cannot see what is the problem...BTW , can I install MLION on external USB i mean i have mac mini is it possible to install MLION on ext USB and then clone the disk to a PC and add the extra...?

the file is here:

http://thetecherra.com/2012/02/17/tutorial-run-os-x-mountain-lion-10-8-on-a-pc-hackintoshosx86-from-start-to-finish/

Hmmm...not work for me....machine keep restarting over and over i even cannot see what is the problem...BTW , can I install MLION on external USB i mean i have mac mini is it possible to install MLION on ext USB and then clone the disk to a PC and add the extra...?

successfuly installed, you need to mention that you must install the boot loader on your lion drive as well if not then the usb drive will keep restarting...im all good except network and sleep...

I can't seem to boot into the USB drive for some reason, the process goes like this: Boot into Chameleon -> type "-v" -> wall of text (too fast to read any errors) -> black screen into immediate system reboot. Is there some BIOS setting that I might be getting wrong? Am I only supposed to have a certain amount of RAM plugged in for this install?

Thanks for the great guide!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck on:

- if your going to install from a USB we're going to need to install Chameleon

-Run the installer. Select the USB drive and click customize and select the packages you require.

I'm using an Ext HDD to do the installer. I'm using Chameleon RC5 and already install it, but there is no customize button. What I'm doing wrong?

Edited by Stela

OK I managed to successfully install Mountain Lion DP4, with sound (ESI Juli@) and graphics (GTS 250) fully working.

This guide is based (oe perhaps it's the other way around) on a YouTube video tutorial I found.

Unfortunately both the video and this guide miss some things, so I did a tiny bit of experimentation and got it to work.

So I will clarify some steps of this guide.

First, you can download the files needs from the following link. Link taken from YouTube video called "

How to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion DP1 on a Hackintosh! (Tutorial)".

http://cl.ly/EMMR

Now to clarify the confusing steps, I will copy-paste the original guide and insert my modifications to make things clear and to make it actually work as required by my system.

I'm starting at the Preparing... part, because the steps before that are clear in my opinion.

1. Mount your Mountain Lion DMG (perhaps it's called "Mac OS X Install ESD.dmg".

2. Open the Mandatory Files folder you extracted from the zip file, launch the "ShowHiddenFiles" utility and click "Show Special Files". Give it a few seconds to restart Finder.

3. Open the mounted Mountain Lion DMG that you mounted on step 1, and mount the "BaseSystem.dmg" file inside by right clicking it and selecting Open With >> Disk Image Mounter. You can't double click the dmg file to mount it because it's hidden.

4. Open Disk Utility, select your partition, and click on the Restore tab.

5. On your desktop or in Finder (or both) you should see the mounted BaseSystem.dmg file. It's called "Mac OS X Base System". Drag it to the Source area of the Restore tab.

6. Drag your USB Flash Drive/ Hard drive partition to the Destination area of the Restore tab.

7. Click "Restore" and, when asked, confirm to Erase the destination.

8. Open your mounted USB Flash Drive or Hard Drive partition. Navigate to /System/Installation. Here you'll find a shortcut called "Packages". Trash it, and create a folder with the same name ("Packages, with a capital 'P'!).

9. Open the mounted Mountain Lion DMG. Inside is a folder called "Packages". Open it, copy all of its files, and paste them inside the folder we created in step 8. These are some 3.83 GB files, so find something to do meanwhile.

10. Open the Mandatory Files folder, launch the Chameleon installer. In the installer, choose your USB Flash Drive / Hard Drive partition (not the hard drive partition where you'll install ML, but the one where you put the installation files, if you chose to use one instead of a USB Flash Drive), click the Customize button and, in addition to what's already selected, go to "Install SMBIOS" and choose ONLY ONE of the options. Absolutely don't choose all by ticking 'Install SMBIOS'. I chose Mac Pro 3,1. It worked for me on Lion so why not use it again...

11. Install it...

Next up is the "fixing" the installation part...

1. Open the Mandatory Files folder. Inside are two kext files. Copy them.

Now open your USB Flash Drive / Hard Drive partition and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions. Paste the two kext files here.

2. From the Mandatory Files folder, copy the 'OS Install' file (the one with a Terminal icon, NOT the mpkg file), and paste it in the following path inside your USB Flash Drive / Hard Drive partition: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A.

3. Open the mounted Mountain Lion DMG (called "Mac OS X Install ESD" when mounted). Inside is a file called 'mach_kernel'. Copy this file and paste it in your USB Flash Drive / Hard Drive partition, in their main (root) folder.

That's all for making the bootable USB Flash Drive / Hard Drive partition.

If you have a DSDT.aml file that you use on Lion / Snow Leopard (whichever you're running right now), copy it and paste it inside the Extra folder of your USB / partition.

Now you can boot your installation USB / partition and install Lion. When the installation completes and the installer reboots your computer, boot into the newly installed Mountain Lion and, in the Welcome wizard, choose "This computer is not connected to the internet" or whatever they called it. Cause if you choose to be connected by Lan or Wifi and the installer doesn't detect your LAN card, the installer will return to its first step. So just choose to not have internet atm, and later download a LAN card kext for your LAN card, copy it to the Mountain Lion partition and boot into ML and install it.

If Mountain Lion fails to boot, then boot into your current OS X version and install Chameleon to the partition where you installed Mountain Lion. Maybe you'll need a newer Chameleon version (r2003 which can be found on osx86.net).

Have fun using Mountain Lion, and thanks go to the original writer of this guide, and the YouTube video maker.

P.S. My hardware:

Intel Q6600

8GB DDR3

Geforce GTS 250 1GB

GIGABYTE P35C-DS3R

Thanks for the guide guys.

yonuz i followed step by step your instructions and i created successfully the usb installer.

When i try to install it, i'm reaching the installation page but a few seconds after pressing the install button, it stops and i get the message "the Mac osx installation couldn't be complete".

Any help would be appreciated.

My Hardware: Gigabyte Z77X UD5H, i7 3770k, GTX670

Anyway, it's the best result so far, for me.

Stathman, this has to do with the 'OS Install' file of step 2 of the 'fixing the installation' part. I think in your case you need not replace that file at all.

You can either recreate the USB installation all over again and this time without replacing the said file, or you can get the original file from the Mountain Lion Installation DMG.

• Like 1

Thank you so much yonuz.

I entirely skipped step 2 of the 'fixing the installation' part, as told, and the installation procedure was successfully completed!

Now i have another problem. It won't boot from the hdd i installed the osx. I get stuck on the apple logo screen and the indicator spins forever.

I read at your guide that if Mountain Lion fails to boot, then boot into your current OS X version and install Chameleon to the partition where you installed Mountain Lion.

How to do that? The only option i have is to boot from the hdd i installed Lion or the usb which guides me to the installation procedure again.

P.S. this time i tried the GM version.

This is where it stops.

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil: getCPUIDInfo: this is an unsupported CPU model 03xa

-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

[iOBluetoothHCIController][start] -- completed

ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin:: registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver

Resetting IOCatalogue.

Any ideas?

When I start the installation partition Mountain Lion, Chameleon returns this:

11072012043.jpg

And when I start the installation of Mountain Lion, the installer says this:

11072012044.jpg

Hardware:

Asus P6T Deluxe v2

Intel Core i7 920 2,67Ghz

Nvidia GTX 260

8Gb RAM DDR3 1069Mhz

I'm made the USB stick finished, and it's booting , BUT I'm stock during boot, it's where it's come to my network card, it just stop there, any solution ?

EDIT

It's just after DMOS have arrived

/Peter

Usually graphics related, on boot, use -GraphicsEnabler=Yes

When I start the installation partition Mountain Lion, Chameleon returns this:

11072012043.jpg

And when I start the installation of Mountain Lion, the installer says this:

11072012044.jpg

Hardware:

Asus P6T Deluxe v2

Intel Core i7 920 2,67Ghz

Nvidia GTX 260

8Gb RAM DDR3 1069Mhz

I have the same problem here. I looked in the packages folder and there is a file called essentials.pkg wich is 2,54 Go