iATKOS L2, Stuck on Apple Logo - Start failed to get ACPI path for provider

TheNavigator

300 posts in this topic

You can create a Lion boot USB easily - like so:

1. Right-click the Lion app and choose Show Package Contents, go to ./Contents/SharedSupport, and mount InstallESD.dmg. Enable hidden files if they are not already so.

2. Inside InstallESD.dmg, you will find Basesystem.dmg. You will need to restore that to a partition/USB drive using Disk Utility.

3. Once that is restored, drag kernelcache from InstallESD.dmg to your new installer, and take the Packages folder in /System/Installation/ on InstallESD and drag it to /System/Installation on your new USB installer.

4. Install Chameleon onto that drive, and replace the Extra folder with the one you're currently using.

5. Boot and install right over Snow. :)

Yeah and that's basically repeating what Mald0n's guide says, because that's how you do it.

*sigh*...

?!

The guide you yourself posted a link to shows you how to create a Lion USB installer, and then you ask how to install Lion. *Sigh* alright. Would you like some fries with that sir?

If you're having problems understanding Mald0n's or Pooky's instructions, please be specific.

Well, I guess it would be better to reply in kinda better way..

I already asked if that was reliable, you said that you can't rate it, and then said that the topic writer wasn't there. What I expected that I won't have help if I had a problem with it. EDIT: You also said that files are outdated..

Thanks PookyMan, but I have a few questions there.

What's "kernelcache" ? And don't I need to do anything with System/Library/Extensions ?

Kernel cache is a cached version of the kernel and extensions that are loaded during boot to speed up the boot process. It's also what you've been rebuilding every time you use kext wizard's utilities, and only includes kexts that your install can use. -f boot flag bypasses loading the kernel cache and goes through the entire extensions folder, which can be helpful if a kext is in the cache that you can't use, i.e. copied from the installer. 2nd part of your question, depends on what's in your extra folder, but i always add fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement to the extensions folder on my installers, which also means I can't use the kernel cache from install osx.dmg, Also make sure mach_kernel is copied to / of your usb. Or for a different approach to the whole thing http://www.insanelym...pic=185097&st=0 don't worry that u don't have gigabyte, option to make installer usb is pretty basic stuff

in reply to above comment: Show All Files and mount BaseSystem.dmg, it's hidden by default and the packages folder you found is the right one. Your basically replacing the packages folder on your restored USB(restored from basesystem.dmg)with that one cause the usb one is just a empty alias that now points nowhere, Just follow Pooky's guide and don't worry bout extensions unless there comes a need. Been a while since I did a Lion installer instead of ML so that's where my head is at a lot of the time.

It's very rare to find guys that can explain things that way. Thanks for your explanation, was really helpful.

But what I'm actually talking about is the directory of "kernelcache".

I'll copy Packages folder then since that's the right one.

For the /S/L/E thing, won't they work without adding those, or will they? :/ I'm kinda confused..

try without, I don't remember anymore. You will need at least fakesmc in your final installation. Also if I recall, kernel cache for lion installer is just a file at / and not in a directory. It's the equivalent of extensions.mkext in /Extra and /S/L/E/ in Snow Leo

Final installation? What do you mean by that?

I guess I'll go with the safe side and install both.

I'm not really sure the kernelcache thing is there. I'm on Windows now (playing LoL. LOL), I'll check, if it's there, I'll continue and reply with the result.

final installation means final installation. Right now your just making a usb installer, it only needs to run once(hopefully) for like 20 min and it will install an actual full fledged operating system, aka final installation. that final install will need fakesmc along with whatever else for your hardware. I try to find a way to differentiate the two when discussing or it can get even more confusing. Not that its an official term, but thought it was kinda self explanatory :)

Got it :| You mean that we need to test that the USB boots first, then we modify it?

Also, do I need to copy boot.efi from InstallESD?

And yea I've found kernelcache :)

EDIT: I understood what you said, but if FakeSMC wasn't installed then the final installation won't boot. Right? How can I make it install "with" the installation?

I can't find the Extra folder that I shall replace...

I tried to boot (without copying the Extra folder), there was no theme for chameleon, and it got stuck on the apple logo. The second time it didn't want to boot at all.

you can boot without fakesmc, at least for a while. Installing it to the usb will not cause it to also be installed to the final install, only what's in the apple install packages will be, so you dont have much control over it, but can change or add stuff after installation. always use -v cause stuck at apple logo isn't usefull. There is no extra folder to replace, it doesn't exist on the usb until you put it there. copy the one from your snow leopard. Don't worry about a theme as long as chameleon is installed, again this is just a one time use installer so doesn't need to be perfect or fancy.

Not really, I may use it again..

Anyway, I'll copy the extra folder of Snow Leopard to the root of the installer and reply with the result.

Well, it looks like the problem wasn't because of iAtkos. I've returned to the same step, the same screen posted here, which eep helped me to bypass and reach another point replacing the file posted here with the original one, and the result was posted here

If someone can help me to reach 10.6.8, he's very welcome, although my main goal is to reach 10.7.4.

EDIT: Well, it's not so important to upgrade to 10.6.8 as I've found XCode 4 that works on 10.6.7. I hope someone can help me to achieve 10.7.4, just be sure 100% that it won't destroy the previous copy of Snow Leopard without being installed, in other words, that it won't destroy everything, please.

Since your doing an upgade from Sl to Lion, you might not need to install fakesmc and a few other things at all if the update dosen't overwrite them. Not posotive as I've only ever done a clean install on a major update i.e Leopard to SL, SL to Lion etc. Oh, make backup first with carbon copy cloner

I hope you can fix your post if I understood something wrong..

I'll make a backup using Carbon Copy Cloner, but well, as the previous boot said, the USB doesn't work.

EDIT: After cloning, if something's messed up, how can I change the booting partition, as both backup and original ones are installed on the same hard drive?

If you have 2 partition on 1 disc that both contain bootable versions of OSX, (or 1 bootable version and one jacked up one) chameleon will show all bootable partitions so you can choose which one to boot into. changing which partition to load chameleon from is another story and no need to get into that at this point cause as long as you can get something to load chameleon, be it a dvd, usb or hdd, you can then pick to boot your clone

do you have a link to the modcd you used to install SL so I can take a look at it?

And as I may have mentioned a couple time's already, Digital Dreamer's script is awesome and has a few different install methods available, check it out.

Well, I've messed up with chameleon before, so I'll install it on a 4 GB USB (Well, I have much external disks here) in case something went wrong.

For the ModCD, it's ModUSB actually. PookyMan gave me the link, but I can't find it again. I'll upload it now and post the link as it has to have some time. (128 KiloBits upload speed.. Egypt...)

EDIT: Don't know how this happened, but it's uploaded in a second. Here: http://www.mediafire...42y31voktbiojaa

Another EDIT: Are you SURE this script would work? If you can confirm this then I'll use it.

One more EDIT: Neither ModUSB of the installation USB, nor ModCD CD, nor the Chameleon USB I've just made can boot the external hard disk. Although what you said was right, I can boot through both partitions, but I can't figure out how to boot it through another drive. I have to boot through the external hard drive to boot through a partition...

I hope someone understood that.

Can't make any promises, but no reason it shouldn't work. The kext repositories it includes that you can choose to have it install are for hardware known to be on gigabyte mobo's, but some are universal like fakesmc and/or will work for other pc's that have similar hardware, but you can substitute your own or kexts or skip any that don't apply. The only real specific parts are like audio, or networking which you can install later on yourself anyway. just use your dsdt(if u have one) and your smbios from your extra folder instead of the ones provided.It's gone through some updates since and automated more of the process, I used it quite a bit a year and a half ago on a few setups, and still use my same copy to get kexts from its repository all the time and although I haven't used it for a new install in quite a while it has always been a excellent recourse to have on hand

I figure at the least, u can use it to make your usb installer, cause I have no way to know if you did every step correctly on your own and it can do it for you.

Ok, so since the modusb seemed to be the only thing that worked for you, once you have made what you are positive is a correctly configured usb installer, if it still does not boot, we can look at where it hangs during boot then see what kext modusb has that your usb doesn't. The modusb has a kernel cache only that is not compatible with Lion, but I already extracted all the extensions from it and have them available, but will not post any that are modified publicly to forum out of respect for the devoloper

First, if you didn't see that, I can't boot the hard drive if chameleon was messed up.

For how I made the USB, in case you think I made something wrong, here's what I did EXACTLY.

First, I went to the terminal and typed that "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" thing.

Afterwards, I showed the 10.7.3 Lion installation's contents, then I mounted InstallESD.dmg. Afterwards I went there and mounted BaseSystem.dmg, then I restored it to the USB. I went to the InstallESD.dmg's root and copied Packages to the USB's /System/Installation and deleted that shortcut thing there. Then I copied cachekernel and mach_kernel from InstallESD's root to the USB's root. Afterwards I installed Chameleon onto the USB, and copied the Extra folder from my Snow Leopard system to the USB. I booted but it resulted with that PCI Configuration end thing.

As I said, that changed when you replaced that kext you gave me before when I was working on iAtkos. It's the same problem that happened there.

I'll try that script (after I wake up, maybe later at night. Pretty tired for now) and reply, in case I didn't receive any other reply to pass where I stopped.

as for booting hard drive when chameleon's messed up, this is why I mentioned other ways of booting chameleon, so that you could then access your hard drive, such as your usb stick or even iatkos as just a boot cd since at least chameleon part of it works, so even if it won't boot your installer atm, is still capable of booting a properly configured OS on any hard drive or partition on your pc, including windows.

with the power of google and 30 seconds of seaching, I found that many other people with your same laptop have had the same exact same problem, first with stuck at PCI config end, then by replacing IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleAPCIPlatform.kext as I gave you b4, are then stuck at same place you were after doing that as well. And the fix....from that point 3 more steps, not sure the order matters: reset bios(I thought this seemed odd, but appears is a absolute must, should be a reset to default option or similar in the bios), repair permissions on your usb, and finally using kext utility, drag usb's extensions folder onto kext utility app, which you can find via google if you want it...now since all that would accomplish aside from repair permissions a second time, is rebuilding of the kernel cache with newly installed kexts mentioned above included in the cache, so you could use kext wizard instead and repair permissions and rebuild cache both at the same time. From Kext Wizard utility section, choose your usb from the list and check every box that is not greyed out. Reboot and remember to use -v, possible some additional boot flags may be needed, use whatever ones worked for snow and maybe add -x if still problems

Okay then. I'll replace IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleAPCIPlatform.kext , then reset BIOS, then repair permissions and see.

For the Google thing, some people can find the result more accurate than others. You searched for 30 seconds and understood the whole of it, I searched for 5 months and couldn't find anything.. LOL..

don't forget to rerbuild the cache too. Actually I googled "stuck at PCI Configuration end" and then all the results happened to be posts from people with your laptop, so it would not have been something you would have even thought to search at the time you were looking for stuff. I got lucky.