CMOS Resets by AppleRTC.kext

rayap

69 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

@rayap

after reading another thread about ML install, i am a bit confused. Can i copy the AppleRTC.kext to /Extra/Extensions, patch it and keep it there or do i need to copy the patched AppleRTC.kext back to /System/Extensions?

I would like to keep the unpatched kext in /System/Extensions

Under Lion, the patched kext is loaded from /Extra/Extensions and that worked good.

@rayap

after reading another thread about ML install, i am a bit confused. Can i copy the AppleRTC.kext to /Extra/Extensions, patch it and keep it there or do i need to copy the patched AppleRTC.kext back to /System/Extensions?

I would like to keep the unpatched kext in /System/Extensions

Under Lion, the patched kext is loaded from /Extra/Extensions and that worked good.

You can use the AppleRTC.kext the same way You've done in Lion. I'm loading the kext from E/E and have the original in S/L/E.

• 1 month later...

So are you guys using the one in the OP or the longer one further down that's the one used in Lion?

I still needed that patch in Lion with almost every point update, so I'm sure I'll need it to for 10.8. Maybe we can get people to chime in whether AppleRTC was changed, with every future point update, and whether or not they needed to patch once again ;-).

So now I wonder if this is working in 10.8.1. and if it needed re-patching.

So now I wonder if this is working in 10.8.1. and if it needed re-patching.

There's not been regular changes to AppleRTC exec file from DP1 thro 10.8.1 - so the OP patch will work. If you replaced the kext file with any update, guess you have to patch again.

Could somebody provide me the patched kext?

I see google is having an outage in your area. :fiery:

Get the file from HERE.

I was actually going to download that file but the uploader was kind enough to put the code he used right in the description. Open terminal and run this...

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

This line of code patches the AppleRTC.kext in your S/L/E folder as opposed to one located in the E/E folder (If you even have on there). I don't have any kexts in my E/E folder so I had to use the attached bit of code.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you changed AHCi to ESB2?

Have changed ICH10 to ESB2, I don't need patch AppleRTC.kext anymore, both 10.7 and 10.8

Unless I'm mistaken, or have forgotten about some other patch I've applied somewhere, I no longer need to patch the AppleRTC binary for 10.8 DP3. Rebooting after a sleep/wake cycle now performs normally without any CMOS error.

Can somebody else check this on their setup?

Indeed!

On GA-EP45-DS3 (F9) I have used just custom DSDT.aml, FakeSMC, AppleHDA rollback and RealtekRTL81xx kexts. There was no need to patch AppleRTC. The system with 10.8.1 is fully functional and stable. To verify the rersult, I have completely reinstalled the system over the weekend.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed!

On GA-EP45-DS3 (F9) I have used just custom DSDT.aml, FakeSMC, AppleHDA rollback and RealtekRTL81xx kexts. There was no need to patch AppleRTC. The system with 10.8.1 is fully functional and stable. To verify the rersult, I have completely reinstalled the system over the weekend.

Regards

How was that ?

Did ESB2 make sense ?

Indeed!

Regards

There's no noticeable change to AppleRTC (MacOS exec file)from DP1 thro 10.8.2 , so elusive changes in other areas have overcome the CMOS resets. Hopefully for later system updates, we'll not need the patch at all.

There's no noticeable change to AppleRTC (MacOS exec file)from DP1 thro 10.8.2 , so elusive changes in other areas have overcome the CMOS resets. Hopefully for later system updates, we'll not need the patch at all.

Apple didn't update the AppleRTC.kext

so we don't need to patch again :)

So when was the last time you needed the patch?

I guess Mountain Lion DP4.

After several days with DP4 , I got back to Lion.

When Mountain Lion really came out, I installed it all completely new.

So that should be my last time when I patched AppleRTC

I understand as such: the last time was with DP4. Now with ML thro 10.8.2 it is just vanilla AppleRTC.kext. Correct?

Thanks.

Nope

I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.0 when it released officially

I patch the AppleRTC at that time.

For 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 updates, since Apple didn't bring in new AppleRTC

So I didn't patch RTC again :)

Hope you understand what I mean this time.

@p.H

Thanks. Apple recompiled the AppleRTC.kext with each update but the AppleRTC exec file remained the same.

From your earlier remarks I was excited you were not needing the patch. Alas, it was not true.

sorry, didn't quite follow your last words.

What's not true ?

BTW, Maybe quoting my post is better so that I can follow along.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Thank You, rayap, the appleRTC hack may not be directly related to sleep, but apparently solved following problem on my XW8400 which for all the rest needs practically nothing to run flawlessly:

I have a RAID stripe 3 disk array connected to SAS, after sleep & wake one of the component disks would completely disappear to OS.

What the reason of this behaviour I don't know, but after this hack it didn't happen anymore.