Introduce yourself.

Alessandro17
5,226 posts in this topic

Greetings from the High Plains of South Dakota. I am a disabled police officer/Vietnam Vet, and have been playing with computer since the old 386SX was king.

I have owned over a dozen mac's and once had quite a collection, however I am down to one laptop and one duel processor G4.

I have installed OS X on my laptop as well as an old PC that I built from the ground up.

I have a degree as a paralegal, and while in college back in the early 90's I took every computer course I could including Unix and basic, as well as the office courses and so forth.

I have been building PC's and repairing both desktops and laptops. I have changed processor's on laptops, and completely rebuilt many desktops, including new video cards, audio card upgrades, processor upgrades and of course RAM upgrades.

Because of an accident that put me on the disabled list, and having been on high dose narcotics for the past nearly 20 years,my brain is a bit slower then it was when I graduated with a 4.0 GPA back in 95.

I say all this, not only as an introduction but a comment on the quiz part 2 which it seems I have FAILED twice in a row?????

Don't get me wrong, I could have perhaps forgotten some of what I learned about basic computer function, and as I say the narcotics do dampen the old gray matter, and the fact that I am a bit over 60 may be part of it but I came here for HELP!

Having to pass a stupid quiz to be able to ask for this help seems both a waste of my time and energy, and defeats the purpose of this forum that should be here to help folks get their osx working on their computers!

I am trying to get this machine working so I can take it along with me while I will be an inpatient at the VA center being treated for PTSD, the result of the hell I had to put up with while serving this nation in Vietnam back in 70/71 but I guess instead of keeping the N speed network card that I installed in my duel boot vista/OSX machine I will simply have to go back to the G speed and loose the greatly improved network speed that I have in Vista so my OSX can again work on my inspiron 6400.

Greetings from the High Plains of South Dakota. I am a disabled police officer/Vietnam Vet, and have been playing with computer since the old 386SX was king.

I have owned over a dozen mac's and once had quite a collection, however I am down to one laptop and one duel processor G4.

I have installed OS X on my laptop as well as an old PC that I built from the ground up.

I have a degree as a paralegal, and while in college back in the early 90's I took every computer course I could including Unix and basic, as well as the office courses and so forth.

I have been building PC's and repairing both desktops and laptops. I have changed processor's on laptops, and completely rebuilt many desktops, including new video cards, audio card upgrades, processor upgrades and of course RAM upgrades.

Because of an accident that put me on the disabled list, and having been on high dose narcotics for the past nearly 20 years,my brain is a bit slower then it was when I graduated with a 4.0 GPA back in 95.

I say all this, not only as an introduction but a comment on the quiz part 2 which it seems I have FAILED twice in a row?????

Don't get me wrong, I could have perhaps forgotten some of what I learned about basic computer function, and as I say the narcotics do dampen the old gray matter, and the fact that I am a bit over 60 may be part of it but I came here for HELP!

Having to pass a stupid quiz to be able to ask for this help seems both a waste of my time and energy, and defeats the purpose of this forum that should be here to help folks get their osx working on their computers!

I am trying to get this machine working so I can take it along with me while I will be an inpatient at the VA center being treated for PTSD, the result of the hell I had to put up with while serving this nation in Vietnam back in 70/71 but I guess instead of keeping the N speed network card that I installed in my duel boot vista/OSX machine I will simply have to go back to the G speed and loose the greatly improved network speed that I have in Vista so my OSX can again work on my inspiron 6400.

The quiz serves a few purposes, one of which is to keep the forum from getting spammed by bots, and the site is a community, not a help desk. That said, what is the vendor ID and device ID for the wifi card your having trouble with?
  • Like 1

Hey, I came here after doing some more research on my upcoming "Mattintosh". (Can I post a link to my personal website? I read the rules and it looks like I'm in the clear. The moderator(s) over at TonyMac wouldn't let me because they considered it "trolling"…)

Anyway, I'm researching alternatives to the TonyMac method and this site looks like a good place for it. I got 12 / 13 on Quiz Part 1. Haven't tried Quiz Part 2 but I'm sure I'd fail it right now.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I go to college in Oregon for compsci and I've been a longtime lurker here since the early days. Might as well start posting.

I took both of the quizzes and passed, but didn't get everything right. I think I missed the floppy disk questions; I've never personally seen a floppy disk :worried_anim:

• Like 1

Hello,

My name is Fred. I was intrigued by this project. Im trying to install Lepoard on my PC but Im having problems. Hopefully I can get it working. I recenently converted over to Mac> I Own a 2006 Macbook model and Im lovin it.

Are you a Cardassian? (Gul Dukat) :) (DS9 is my favourite Star Trek Series)

Welcome.

I would prefer a Kardashian, but if need be, would settle for a Bajoran :)

thanks this forum, I successfully installed OS X ML on my E40.

On your E40? Sounds off the heezy fo sheezy! :)

Greetings I am [ Redacted ] and I'm from [ Redacted ] not a first time OSX x86 user, I used to have a very lovely Hackintosh system back in the OSX 10.4.8 / 10.4.9 days but sadly that system has died on me and I've delved into a new system.. I look forward to getting my hackintosh back up and running and getting to meet new people. so feel free to drop me a line.

I'm artist and developer, I'm old user of this forum (but not active) and It's nice place

but currently something has been changed here - today I spent 2 hours by tried to simple download

chamelion bootloader from usual place and as result I got nothing - and it's terrible case.

• Like 1

Hi, my name is Dan.

As you can see on my profile I have been a member since 19 july 2011, However I have only just really started to get interested in hackintoshing again. A year ago I was attempting to install a variety Snow Leopard Distro's on my hp pavillion g6 Laptop, Although i did get it to work after a week but as you could imagine it was still extremely buggy and ruined the whole seamless mac experience (no graphics support, no wifi, etc) I gave up and went back to windows 7. Recently I had a desktop handed to me and decided to give hackintosh another shot. I did alot of research this time round and installed straight from the unmodified Mountain lion app (used tonymac method :worried_anim: ) To my surprise, IT WORKED! However I still encountered some of the same problems i experienced with the laptop a year ago. A little more research led me to purchase a few upgrades; Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X, Apple airport extreme card+PCIE adapter, D-link DBT120 (bluetooth) EVERYTHING works perfectly OOTB :D Happy with everything working (even updated to 10.8.1 without problems), i went on to buy An apple wireless Keyboard and a nice new 1080p led monitor - AOC e2243Fw.

Future upgrades/todo list:

Magic mouse/trackpad

G5 case mod.

Apple InfraRed mod

MOBO - Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

CPU - i7 3770k

32gb (4x8gb) ddr3 1600mhz ram

120gb Sandisk extreme SSD

Cheers for all the great information around the forums. The hackintosh community is brilliant. :)

Hi guys, My name's Kevin and im 20 years old, I live in Scotland (UK) and I have previous experience of the OSx86 community, although it was many years ago and I don't remember much so I'm pretty much starting over from scratch!

Hope to see you all around ;)

• Like 1