Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

This is what I get in the cmd prompt. Windows 7 Ultimate x64...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd c:\

c:\>unlock\install.cmd

VMware Unlocker 1.0.0

=====================

© Dave Parsons 2011

Stopping VMware services...

The VMware Workstation Server service is stopping.

The VMware Workstation Server service was stopped successfully.

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

Creating backup folders...

The system cannot find the file specified.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Core=VMware Workstation

InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

Saving 64-bit files...

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe -> C:\backup

\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe -> C:\

backup\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe -> C:\

backup\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe

1 File(s) copied

Patching 64-bit files...

'bspatch.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Copying 64-bit files to VMware folder...

0 File(s) copied

Saving 32-bit files...

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe -> C:\backup\vmw

are-vmx.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe -> C:\back

up\vmware-vmx-debug.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-stats.exe -> C:\back

up\vmware-vmx-stats.exe

1 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll -> C:\backup\vmw

arebase.dll

1 File(s) copied

Patching 64-bit files...

Copying 32-bit files to VMware folder...

0 File(s) copied

File not found - darwin.*

0 File(s) copied

Starting VMware services...

The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.

The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

The VMware Workstation Server service is starting.

The VMware Workstation Server service was started successfully.

c:\>

I get the same...

I get the same...

I had the same issue, did you open up command prompt as administrator? That was my whole problem, once I opened up command prompt as Admin, and pointed it to the patch it installed successfully...I had the patch saved to my download folder and then copied the address over to the prompt, then typed in install.cmd and boom success.

I'm getting the following message when attempting to boot into an OS X Lion guest:

Could not get vmx86 version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of the driver "vmx86.sys".

Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64

(The steps I took are as follows:

- downloaded and extracted unlock-wks800-471780-windows.zip

- ran cmd.exe as an Administrator and navigated to the extracted folder

- ran install.cmd)

EDIT: I found a workaround. Run VMware Workstation as an administrator and the problem goes away. This problem occurred for all my guests, not just OS X.

I had the same issue, did you open up command prompt as administrator? That was my whole problem, once I opened up command prompt as Admin, and pointed it to the patch it installed successfully...I had the patch saved to my download folder and then copied the address over to the prompt, then typed in install.cmd and boom success.

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed open cmd prompt as administrator and dragged the exe to the cmd prompt and pressed enter and then dragged the install.cmd to the cmd prompt and it runs giving the error that bspatch.exe is not a recognised as an internal or external command.

I'm on Win7 HP 64bit.

Edit: I've fixed it. Stopped being lazy by dragging the files to cmd prompt and navigated to the folder and typed in the commands and now it's worked. Why that makes a difference I have no idea as it shouldn't do but it did!

Thanks for the reply. I did indeed open cmd prompt as administrator and dragged the exe to the cmd prompt and pressed enter and then dragged the install.cmd to the cmd prompt and it runs giving the error that bspatch.exe is not a recognised as an internal or external command.

I'm on Win7 HP 64bit.

Edit: I've fixed it. Stopped being lazy by dragging the files to cmd prompt and navigated to the folder and typed in the commands and now it's worked. Why that makes a difference I have no idea as it shouldn't do but it did!

Yeah I was only able to drag the destination folder address to command prompt but had to manually type in the patch to get it to work. Glad it worked for you...

>Sugadaddy

Try adding "cd /d %~dp0" to the install.cmd near the start:

net stop VMwareHostd

net stop VMAuthdService

cd /d %~dp0

Running as administrator defaults your working directory to C:\Windows\System32, using "cd /d %~dp0" changes the directory to the directory the script is running from.

Hello to all. I am newbie with this theme and i am having a problem i can´t understand. Every time i install the patch (sucesfully, without warnings or errors) virtualization technology is disabled (tested with securable.exe) . When i try to start a lion image, VMWorkstation obviously says that it can´t run because only software virtualization is enabled.

When i remove the patch, virtualization is enabled again (tested with securable.exe) but then i can´t run the image and workstation repeats the same error about hardware virtualization disabled.

When i reboot the system securable shows that vt is disabled.

No changes was made to the bios, of course.

The solution is to do a Recover System, before that the hardware virtualization remains disabled or not accesible from windows7/vmware workstation

Where is my concept error??? Can i know what are the changes that install.cmd makes in the system, it appears be only copying files but uninstall don´t repair it.

Excuse my poor english, i am not native. Thanks in advance.

I7 860 under W7 X64 Ultimate Spanish.

>Sugadaddy

Try adding "cd /d %~dp0" to the install.cmd near the start:

net stop VMwareHostd

net stop VMAuthdService

cd /d %~dp0

Running as administrator defaults your working directory to C:\Windows\System32, using "cd /d %~dp0" changes the directory to the directory the script is running from.

Good point I will update the install.cmd file and re-issue. I did rush getting it out of the door as work schedule means I am not going to have much time during October and November to work on this.

Good point I will update the install.cmd file and re-issue. I did rush getting it out of the door as work schedule means I am not going to have much time during October and November to work on this.

Hi Donk,

I'm holding my breath for a Linux update. Am I going to die before you release the patch for VM8 Linux ;) ?

More seriously, do you think you will get it out before your October-November back to "real" work period?

I'm running 11.04 (btrfs) + WS714 with 10.6;10.7,W7-64 and I'm planning to go for Linux Kernel 3.x for better btrfs.

I'm sure you have all the HW to test linux but in case you need testing I'd gladly help.

Thanks.

Hi Donk,

I'm holding my breath for a Linux update. Am I going to die before you release the patch for VM8 Linux ;) ?

More seriously, do you think you will get it out before your October-November back to "real" work period?

I'm running 11.04 (btrfs) + WS714 with 10.6;10.7,W7-64 and I'm planning to go for Linux Kernel 3.x for better btrfs.

I'm sure you have all the HW to test linux but in case you need testing I'd gladly help.

Thanks.

They are done but need to write a BASH script to install and remove. So it will be before the other work gets in the way.

Question: I patched my VMware Workstation v7.1.4 running on Win 7 x64 with Albert's VMware 7 unlocker and was running Lion perfectly.

Now I've updated VMware Workstation to the newly released v8. At first Lion wouldn't boot, so I re-patched VMware (8) with the VMware 7 unlocker. Now Lion runs but there's a bit of lag during startup and graphics are a bit laggy as well.

Is it recommended for someone in my position to use the new VMware 8 unlocker (does it offer improvements over the VMware 7 unlocker)?

And if so, should I reinstall VMware 8 before patching with the newer unlocker to reset the binaries back to their vanilla state?

I made an Unlocker for VMware Fusion 4.x, Workstation 8.x, Player 4.x and ESxi 5.x.

Sources are inside.

[instructions for Fusion]

Program should be run as root, so open a Terminal and

sudo ./Unlocker.OSX

It patches 3 files

/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-stats

I haven't tested the resulting files because I don't have Fusion installed. I just verified it patches as intended. The Unlocker does not create backups, so if you want to be safe, make backups of these 3 files first. If they don't work, you can also reinstall Fusion, and they'll be replaced with the originals.

Edit [9/25/2011]: Fixed the paths and uploaded a correct version.

Edit [9/26/2011]: Uploaded beefed up version. Run "./Unlocker.OSX -h" for usage message. Supports "-u" option to remove the modifications. Also lets you specify target folder.

Edit [9/26/2011 #2]: Uploaded a Linux version. Binaries named Unlocker.Linux64/32.

Edit [9/27/2011]: Uploaded a fuller patch, including vmwarebase + a Windows version [unlocker.exe].

Edit [10/2/2011]: Uploaded a fix to pathname search in registry on 32-bit Windows.

Edit [10/3/2011]: Uploaded an ESXi 5 build - Unlocker.ESXi. The ESXi unlocker can't be run directly, as the target files are locked.

Edit [10/4/2011]: Added Donk's scripts to install on ESXi 5.

• Like 1

I made an Unlocker for VMware Fusion 4.x.

Sources are inside.

sudo ./Unlocker

It patches 3 files

/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx-debug
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx-stats

I haven't tested the resulting files because I don't have Fusion installed. I just verified it patches as planned. The Unlocker does not create backups, so if you want to be safe, make backups of these 3 files first. If they don't work, you can also reinstall Fusion, and they'll be replaced with the originals.

Aww was about to a patch :) BTW the files have moved in Fusion 4.0.1 to a folder inside the Fusion.app. I don't have access to my Macbook at the moment but will send new path on when I have it back tomorrow.

Will follow up on PM and send bytes for vmwarebase patching.

I made an Unlocker for VMware Fusion 4.x.

Sources are inside.

sudo ./Unlocker

It patches 3 files

/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-stats

I haven't tested the resulting files because I don't have Fusion installed. I just verified it patches as intended. The Unlocker does not create backups, so if you want to be safe, make backups of these 3 files first. If they don't work, you can also reinstall Fusion, and they'll be replaced with the originals.

Edit: Fixed the paths and uploaded a correct version.

Thanks for that. I have asked Zenith432 to help out on the other platforms, and I am very happy to build scripts to install via backups etc., if that is something everyone would find useful.

Question: I patched my VMware Workstation v7.1.4 running on Win 7 x64 with Albert's VMware 7 unlocker and was running Lion perfectly.

Now I've updated VMware Workstation to the newly released v8. At first Lion wouldn't boot, so I re-patched VMware (8) with the VMware 7 unlocker. Now Lion runs but there's a bit of lag during startup and graphics are a bit laggy as well.

Is it recommended for someone in my position to use the new VMware 8 unlocker (does it offer improvements over the VMware 7 unlocker)?

And if so, should I reinstall VMware 8 before patching with the newer unlocker to reset the binaries back to their vanilla state?

I am surprised that Albert's V7 Unlocker works with Workstation 8.

The best method is uninstall Workstation 7, install Workstation 8, apply Donk's Workstation 8 Unlocker, this should give you the ability to install and run OS X guestOS's including Lion. Install the latest VMware Tools via darwin.iso current version 4.0.1.

Some performance issues have been raised on the graphics front but no solution available as far as I am aware.

[uPDATE: 26/SEP/2011]

Albert's Workstation 7 Unlocker, does patch some of the executables in Workstation 8 but not vmwarebase

A workaround appears to be available to resolve the graphics performance issues, albeit it needs to be done everytime the guestOS is re-booted, link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1752504

[uPDATE: 26/SEP/2011] (Thanks to Donk and Zenith432 for the update)

Tried the patch.

Created new virtual machine in vmware fusion 4.0.1

Host OS = lion

Guest = Snow Leopard

Selected snow leopard server as OS, because Snow Leopard is not in the list.

Resulted in a 'fault message':

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter a shutdown state.

Can anyone tell us if we need to do something specific when creating the new virtual machine?

Thanks!

Resulted in a 'fault message':

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter a shutdown state.

You should post vmx file + vmware.log for such a problem. Also, after the KP if you get a stack trace, a screen capture of the stack-trace would be nice.

Some performance issues have been raised on the graphics front but no solution available as far as I am aware.
There was a solution posted (see the [solved] thread.) It's a bug on the host side that also happens on Windows guests sometimes.