Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

Any news about a Linux version of the unlocker? Been looking almost every day, hoping to see the "soon" text replaced by a link :D

Zenith432 has done a generic "Unlocker" which works for all, including Linux, see the link below. Donk has written some scripts around the generic unlocker combining his and Zenith's work, which I have been testing, so try Znith's generic unlocker and keep an eye out for the enhanced scripted version, again at the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750634

Zenith432 has done a generic "Unlocker" which works for all, including Linux, see the link below. Donk has written some scripts around the generic unlocker combining his and Zenith's work, which I have been testing, so try Znith's generic unlocker and keep an eye out for the enhanced scripted version, again at the link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750634

I have released it as needed due to new ESXi patch. First post updated http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1750629

@donk i used the batch file u posted....when i fired up my vmware workstation 8 i get this message

Attempting to start up from

EFI VMware Virtual SCSI Hard Drive (0.0) ...unseccessful

EFI VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive (IDE 1:0) ...uncesssful

EFI Netwrok ... unsuccessful

EFI Internal Shell (Unsupported option)...

EFI Shel version 2.30[1.0]

Current running mode 1.1.2

Device mapping table

blk0 : BlockDevice - Alies(null)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x1)/Ata(Secondary,Master,0x0)

blk1:Removble BlockDevise - Alies(null)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Scsi(0x0,0x0)

what is this means.......

sorry i am just a student......trying to survive......

VMX.txt

@donk i used the batch file u posted....when i fired up my vmware workstation 8 i get this message

Attempting to start up from

EFI VMware Virtual SCSI Hard Drive (0.0) ...unseccessful

EFI VMware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive (IDE 1:0) ...uncesssful

EFI Netwrok ... unsuccessful

EFI Internal Shell (Unsupported option)...

EFI Shel version 2.30[1.0]

Current running mode 1.1.2

Device mapping table

blk0 : BlockDevice - Alies(null)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x1)/Ata(Secondary,Master,0x0)

blk1:Removble BlockDevise - Alies(null)

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Scsi(0x0,0x0)

what is this means.......

sorry i am just a student......trying to survive......

Are you using the correct unlocker, "unlock-all-v101.zip", if not easiest to uninstall W8 and re-install and apply the correct "Unlocker", secondly your OS X iso does not look like the retail product, need to buy the usb stick, or buy from the App Store and create your own USB stick. I have not been able to get or create an ISO that will install Lion.

anyone know if this will work with VMware Workstation 8.0.1 that was just released? if I upgrade to 8.0.1 and already had a vmx set up will that continue to boot even If I can't create new VMs until a new unlocker is out?

The unlocker works on Workstation 8.0.1 build-528992. I have just updated and applied the unlocker successfully. Use the same VM, no need to create a new one.The good news is Lion is running much much smoother on this build.

I ran the unlocker against 8.0.1 and it worked fine too.

My mouse still gets stuck in the VMware window --- whenever I move it out it resets to the center. I have to try several times and eventually it leaves the window properly. Ctrl+Alt doesn't work... I'd love to hear if anyone else has this problem or not or has any insights. It's nothing with my configuration in the guest since it happens with a fresh 10.6 or 10.7 install... however, I didn't have this problem with Workstation 7.

(I installed the new VMware Tools from Fusion 4.1, which boasts better mouse integration, but no difference really.)

Also, OS X 10.7.2 is supported without any hackery necessary.

8.0.1 breaks the way the mouse is working for me... I use OSX/VMWare solely to run RPP raw converter (http://raw-photo-processor.com/RPP/Overview.html), with vmware 8.0.1 installed a single left button mouse click in fact behaves there (in RPP) as left button pressed on mouse + small drag (like drag right-down by 1 pixel) + left button released, which makes a small region (like 1x1 or 2x2 pixels) of the image to be selected (damn !)... when I uninstall vmware 8.0.1 and install vmware 8.0.0 back everything is working OK w/ mouse clicks... in both cases unlocker 1.0.1 is properly applied... VMWare tools from Fusion 4.1.0 are installed in guest OSX 10.7.2.

My mouse still gets stuck in the VMware window --- whenever I move it out it resets to the center.

what is in your input setup ?

mousesetup.jpg

Upgrading from Fusion 4.0.2 to 4.1 doesn't seem to undo unlocker; I didn't have to reinstall the unlocker to get my Snow Leopard client virtual machine to boot up. :) This was a pleasant surprise, as the unlocker had to be reinstalled when I upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2.

Update: According to MacWorld, Fusion 4.1 now permits SL and Leopard client to run in their virtual machines, so no unlocker required.

I have not been able to get or create an ISO that will install Lion.
I used UltraISO to convert the Install dmg:

1. In UltraISO menu bar: Tools > Convert
  2. put the dmg as source, ISO as Output format.
  3. used SCSI CD (not IDE) when creating the VM.

The installation (10.7) went well with patched Workstation (VMW 8.0.0), loading the ISO on the SCSI CDROM in the EFI during boot-up.

/Edit: As reminded by sebus in the post below, I used the "inner" Install dmg inside the downloaded one.

Does the unlocker work on the latest version of Vmware workstation for Windows - v8.0.1?

• The Windows unlocker works for 8.0.1.
  • The Fusion 4.1 unlocker does not patch libvmwarebase.dylib, but it appears VMware have allowed OS X client guest to be run anyhow.
  • The Linux unlocker is being investigated by Donk. Looks like the patch for libvmwarebase.so will have to be modified.
  • Don't know about ESXi, but should probably work, as there's no vmwarebase.

• The Windows unlocker works for 8.0.1.
  • The Fusion 4.1 unlocker does not patch libvmwarebase.dylib, but it appears VMware have allowed OS X client guest to be run anyhow.
  • The Linux unlocker is being investigated by Donk. Looks like the patch for libvmwarebase.so will have to be modified.
  • Don't know about ESXi, but should probably work, as there's no vmwarebase.

ESXi 5 has not changed, the latest patch takes ESXi 5 to build 504890, and works fine with the latest "unlock-all-v101.zip".

Looks like a mistake in Fusion an we should keep the patch http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2011/11...8Team+Fusion%29

I do not think this is a mistake as such, just not applying correct OS detection, I have checked the latest Apple EULA for OS X 10.7.2 "Lion", you are now allowed to run an additional two virtual instance of Lion Client, not just Server as with SL and Leopard, see extract below:

"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software

within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that

is already running the Apple Software."

[uPDATED]

So to summarise from "Lion" going forward virtual client OS X is supported under the Apple EULA, but ONLY on Mac hardware, so Fusion will not require patching going forward to support Lion Client as a guestOS, but will continue to require patching for SL and Leopard, with the exception of the 4.1.0 release of Fusion, the latest version is 4.1.1. Hope this gives clarification, MSoK!

Is the patch broken for VMware Workstation 8.0.1 on Linux?

Only for the dialog box that shows the Apple guest options. Existing VMs and new ones created by editing the VMX file will run. Zentih432 and myself are working on it.

I do not think this is a mistake, just not applying correct OS detection, I have read elswhere that in Lion (10.7) you are now allowed to run an additional two virtual instance of Lion Client, not just Server as with SL and Leopard, see extract below:

"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software."

I need, and am happy to be shot down in flames, but my current understanding is from Lion forward virtual client OS X is supported under the Apple EULA, but still on Mac hardware, so Fusion will not require patching going forward to support Lion Client as a guestOS. So since VMware products share a significant amount of code, well you can do the maths, MSoK!

It is a mistake for Leopard and Snow Leopard client versions t o run, which is now fixed in Fusion 4.1.1. Supported Mac OS X guests now documented here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsite...ernalId=2009990

So we still need the unlocker for Fusion to remove server check. Not sure we will continue modding Fusion vmwarebase as becoming too much off a PITA to do.

I have the same problem as you.

Tried everything, cannot fix it.

:)

I ran the unlocker against 8.0.1 and it worked fine too.

My mouse still gets stuck in the VMware window --- whenever I move it out it resets to the center. I have to try several times and eventually it leaves the window properly. Ctrl+Alt doesn't work... I'd love to hear if anyone else has this problem or not or has any insights. It's nothing with my configuration in the guest since it happens with a fresh 10.6 or 10.7 install... however, I didn't have this problem with Workstation 7.

(I installed the new VMware Tools from Fusion 4.1, which boasts better mouse integration, but no difference really.)

Also, OS X 10.7.2 is supported without any hackery necessary.

I'm a bit new to this game.

I'm trying to follow the read-me in the i500-469512.tgz file to patch ESXI 5 but I'm not really getting anywhere.

Every time I try to run one of the commands I get permission denied.

I'm new to Linux and really don't know anything about it but want to get a Mac VM on the go.

Can anyone guide me through the patching process please?

Thanks