[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

@futuregator15, try installing their files (kext ones)

As for the DSDT:

The one in the pack:

Device (HDEF)
	{
		Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
		OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
		Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
		{
			DCKA,   1, 
					Offset (0x01), 
			DCKM,   1, 
				,   6, 
			DCKS,   1, 
					Offset (0x08), 
				,   15, 
			PMES,   1
		}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		{
			Store (Package (0x0C)
				{
					"device-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x65, 0x06, 0xEC, 0x10
					}, 

"built-in", 
					Buffer (One)
					{
						0x00
					}, 

"layout-id", 
					Buffer (0x04)
					{
						0x99, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00
					}, 

"model", 
					Buffer (0x07)
					{
						"alc665"
					}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
					Buffer (Zero) {}, 
					"hda-gfx", 
					Buffer (0x0A)
					{
						"onboard-1"
					}
				}, Local0)
			DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			Return (Local0)
		}
	}

The one in their pack.

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x4C, 0x10)
			Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
			{
				DCKA,   1, 
						Offset (0x01), 
				DCKM,   1, 
					,   6, 
				DCKS,   1, 
						Offset (0x08), 
					,   15, 
				PMES,   1
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x04)
					{
						"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x99, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

It's basically the same, the part in my DSDT gives the system more information to display, purely cosmetic stuff as far as i know.

Ok good to know. The latest ACL 665 files are located here. lll be trying them in a bit. Not sure if they differ from the ones DoiX has in his pack but just in case

Noticed something. Should we disregaurd the DellXPS665 kext because it has to be installed in Extra/Extensions?

3.Install Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext in E/E (This is Legacy.kext for ALC655 only).

On my system with all the DSDT patching and stuff, sound doesn't work without that specific kext... gah anyway in an hour or so i'll have time so hopefully i'll compile a good sound working DSDT and installer pack :(

On my system with all the DSDT patching and stuff, sound doesn't work without that specific kext... gah anyway in an hour or so i'll have time so hopefully i'll compile a good sound working DSDT and installer pack :(

Thank you!

I'd still seriously like someone with GT540m and windows 32bit edition installed to dump the card rom, i do think all i need is a proper NVCAP string to make the built in card fully work...

1767891[/url]']

I'd still seriously like someone with GT540m and windows 32bit edition installed to dump the card rom, i do think all i need is a proper NVCAP string to make the built in card fully work...

I have a 525m card. I'd install 32bit windows 7 and do it after all you've done for everyone with the laptop

Reinstalled, all working except sound! I have the volume icon, all devices lists in preferences, mic input works (bars move) but no sound??????

Hoping the new DSDT/installer will fix :)

Darren, go sound settings, select your device first :) probably headphones is selected instead of speakers :P

@futuregator, i have 540m, your nvcap wouldn't help me. I need a 540m so i know it will be like mine so if it doesn't work i'll be sure it's just not working not that it's prolly the nvcap string again :)

Thanks anywya, i appreciate it. In the mean time, post your device ID

@amh10, please give me the exact specs processor and display are mandatory.

Boot with -v GraphicsEnabler=No UseKernelCache=Yes

Sorry.

Intel Core i5-2430M

Intel 3000HD 0116 Graphics

I renamed DSDT to DSDT2, and now the system boots up, but the keyboard and mouse don't work. The resolution is the full 1366x768 so I know that the graphics kext has been loaded.

@DoiX: Any ideas how to get them back? I am dual booting with Win7 and using MacDrive, so do I need to move some Kexts to S/L/E?

Install the HD dsdt not the FULL HD dsdst... you can find it in my tutorial on page 6 or 11 depends on how you are viewing the forums. (download to windows copy and replace using macdrive your old dsdt)

1366x768 - HD

1920x1080 - Full HD

Just got sleep working by using the 10.7 sleep enabler, so far every things working pretty well, ilife/iwork on and all updated, loving the performance (running off 64GB SSD) so once every things stable I'll replace the BluRay with a second HDD caddy for media.

Just hoping for sound without voodoohda...

Important update: by mistake, while trying to make ALC665 work through DSDT, i have advanced in making GT540M work possibly with actual optimus support and hdmi sound!

Back to ALC665, i've managed to make the system half detected...

I don't require it anymore, made a live cd of freedos and got what i needed from there.

Sound update: i came to the conclusion that it's impossible to make a fully DSDT based "driver" for it, i'll allocate time later to find out AppleHDA.kext problems. Now i will apply the breakthrough's i had experimenting with Sound.

@Futuregator15, have you tried those kexts from the link you posted earlier?

Yes they dind't work at all:( But then again I was having issues that I previously hadnt experienced. So maybe the entire install was going wrong

Im currently trying to find a reliable iatkos l1 download link to reburn iatkos. For some reason I'm having trouble with my trackpad everytime a reinstall. When I install the 2 trackpad realated kext, on reboot the trackpad prefane says there is no trackpad installed. I even tried downloaded this kext and it didn't work.

1768026[/url]']

Battery won't work without that kext, just reinstall it.. it's in my .zip pack and installer don't forget to use kext utility or whatever after :weight_lift:

Nothing works just get kp on boot... Tried disk utility and rebuild extensions.mkext from terminal but still don't work.... Reinstall time!

EDIT

Right back to where I was... reinstalled, 10.7.2, sleep enabler working, bluetooth and wifi :D but no bloody sound just can't work it out! Could it be because I'm on the i5 version 2.3ghz not the i7? is there an i5 DSDT knocking about or what changes would i even have to make?

Sure I'm also on the latest bios if that matters!

As an update if anyone can help I've got back to the point where the audio devices are listed, inout works via mic, output has 3 options shown,

- Internal speakers -

-Headphones

-Digital in

My computer has 2 headphone ports on the right and one mic in.

The back most headphone port maps to 'internal speakers' which changes to headphones if i plug some in - and SOUND WORKS!

The middle one maps to headphones and SOUND WORKS!

It's literally just the actual speakers themselves not working for some reason... Anyone had that?

EDIT 2

OK Got sound working :o Used the AppleHDA and IOAudiofamily from the 702x thread worked right away :)

Still can't get battery recognised but I can live with that :)

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to see if the 540m can be enabled too would be PERFECT

Nothing works just get kp on boot... Tried disk utility and rebuild extensions.mkext from terminal but still don't work.... Reinstall time!

EDIT

Right back to where I was... reinstalled, 10.7.2, sleep enabler working, bluetooth and wifi ;) but no bloody sound just can't work it out! Could it be because I'm on the i5 version 2.3ghz not the i7? is there an i5 DSDT knocking about or what changes would i even have to make?

Sure I'm also on the latest bios if that matters!

As an update if anyone can help I've got back to the point where the audio devices are listed, inout works via mic, output has 3 options shown,

- Internal speakers -

-Headphones

-Digital in

My computer has 2 headphone ports on the right and one mic in.

The back most headphone port maps to 'internal speakers' which changes to headphones if i plug some in - and SOUND WORKS!

The middle one maps to headphones and SOUND WORKS!

It's literally just the actual speakers themselves not working for some reason... Anyone had that?

EDIT 2

OK Got sound working :D Used the AppleHDA and IOAudiofamily from the 702x thread worked right away :)

Still can't get battery recognised but I can live with that :)

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to see if the 540m can be enabled too would be PERFECT

Wicked, can you link to the 702x thread, I can't seem to find it.