10.6.6 released

iRipper

217 posts in this topic

after installing, there's no audio.

the speaker icon on the bar is grey =\

my MoBo is a p5qc

If you're used AppleHDA kernel before installed above 10.6.6, replace with the old 10.6.2 version AppleHDA, or you're used VoodooHDA injection, you need to delete AppleHDA after installed 10.6.6. Good luck! ;)

If you're used AppleHDA kernel before installed above 10.6.6, replace with the old 10.6.2 version AppleHDA, or you're used VoodooHDA injection, you need to delete AppleHDA after installed 10.6.6. Good luck!

I used VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg to install VoodooHDA on OS X 10.6 and it worked fine, no conflicts with working audio.

When I upgraded to 10.6.6, VoodooHDA called a kernel panic, so I removed VoodooHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and I could now boot. After a bit of research, I found that VoodooHDA.kext conflicts with AppleHDA.kext and I found that AppleHDA.kext had been installed with the upgrade, so I moved AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions folder, and put VoodooHDA.kext back in. Rebooted with no issues, but still have no audio...

I ran "voodoohda-uninstall" to remove the VoodooHDA driver completely, rebooted and it was OK, as expected no audio. Ran VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg again, installed correctly, rebooted, but this time it started doing some funny stuff. Basically, resolution is limited to 800x600 with very few graphical capabilities (like menu bar translucency). Volume control is now active and useable, but I still have no audio.

Uninstalled VoodooHDA again and the graphics are back to normal.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

I used VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg to install VoodooHDA on OS X 10.6 and it worked fine, no conflicts with working audio.

When I upgraded to 10.6.6, VoodooHDA called a kernel panic, so I removed VoodooHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and I could now boot. After a bit of research, I found that VoodooHDA.kext conflicts with AppleHDA.kext and I found that AppleHDA.kext had been installed with the upgrade, so I moved AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions folder, and put VoodooHDA.kext back in. Rebooted with no issues, but still have no audio...

I ran "voodoohda-uninstall" to remove the VoodooHDA driver completely, rebooted and it was OK, as expected no audio. Ran VoodooHDA-2.7.2.pkg again, installed correctly, rebooted, but this time it started doing some funny stuff. Basically, resolution is limited to 800x600 with very few graphical capabilities (like menu bar translucency). Volume control is now active and useable, but I still have no audio.

Uninstalled VoodooHDA again and the graphics are back to normal.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

There are some tricks may help you to identify the issue more clear. First, you may look into lines from the kernel log file by access from the System Profiler to see whether voodooHDA has been correct initialized and enable the audio output. Secondly, you might want to look IORegistryExplorer to see the IOService tree structure whether voodooHDA devices has been successfully bundle under HDEF@. If both above are all confirmed installed successfully, it should be no reason cannot get the audio output, the graphic mode should not impact to the audio output, the volume control ability could due to you're running in the safety mode when you reboot.

i updated my hackintosh to 10.6.6, unfortunately for some reason VoodooHDA causes a kernel panic... so it is disabled

any ideas on what i could use?

under system profiler it is just listed as intel high definition audio device

also some other notible thing.. for some off reason safari kept crashing when i would try to load this site, or you tube and many others...so i installed google chrome with the same results

i then tried firefox, it is now fully working... i can load all pages Great!!

i am stuck in one resolution, although it doesn't look all that bad

looks good

i would like more of a selection, but that's is the least of my worries... sound is more important at the moment

other than that, the OS seems to run extremely smoothly and programs/updates/etc have all worked nicely

i updated my hackintosh to 10.6.6, unfortunately for some reason VoodooHDA causes a kernel panic... so it is disabled

any ideas on what i could use?

under system profiler it is just listed as intel high definition audio device

also some other notible thing.. for some off reason safari kept crashing when i would try to load this site, or you tube and many others...so i installed google chrome with the same results

i then tried firefox, it is now fully working... i can load all pages Great!!

i am stuck in one resolution, although it doesn't look all that bad

looks good

i would like more of a selection, but that's is the least of my worries... sound is more important at the moment

other than that, the OS seems to run extremely smoothly and programs/updates/etc have all worked nicely

It is possible the AppleHDA is loaded which AppleHDA and VoodooHDA cannot be together. If you intend to use VoodooHDA, you need to delete AppleHDA.

I too have lost my wifi under 10.6.6. I'm using a Broadcom 4320 chipset wifi card. It was working fine under 10.6.4 But even when I replace IO80211Family kext with the old working kext nothing happens. I've ran Kext utility and repaired permissions.

Confusing thing is that the wifi works fine when i boot into safe mode. Is there a mismatch somewhere?

When I boot into safe mode It shows up in System Profiler under Network/Airport as

Software Versions:

Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)

configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.2)

System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)

Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)

AirPort Utility: 5.5.2 (552.11)

IO80211 Family: 3.1.2 (312)

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: Third-Party Wireless Card

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Current Network Information:

PHY Mode: 802.11g

When I boot up normally it doesn't show anything. So can anyone help me to find why safe mode installs my wifi card and normal mode doesn't.

I noticed that on a win emulated game with openGL support.

I even noticed that with 10.6.6 my mds process (spotlight) is getting mad and I get a massive disk access and CPU consumption immediately after the boot for 2-3 minutes!

System Preferences -> Spotlight, click on Privacy tab, add the BOOTCAMP volume to exclude.

Updated successfully :) .

System info:

GA-M52L-S35 with dsdt.aml from kexts.com

AMD X2 4200

GA 8600GT silent

IDE HDD

IDE CDROM

VoodooHDA for sound

Everything works, APP STORE works (just installed two free apps), USB works.

I didn't make any test, but I think that speed is about same or similar like was before update.

Only issue I noticed is that hdd led continue to work for about 15 mins after boot??

Sleep and PS/2 never worked on my main board.

Upgraded to 10.6.6 no issues. First backed up system to a TimeMachine drive. Removed SleepEnabler & rebooted before applying 10.6.6 Combo update. After update, put back the SleepEnabler & rebooted again. As usual, repaired disk permissions to end the ritual.

Do you reapply sleepenabler 10.6.5 or a new one ?, does your sleep and wake up work properly ?

System Preferences -> Spotlight, click on Privacy tab, add the BOOTCAMP volume to exclude.

First I had to patch System/Library/PreferencePanes/Spotlight.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Spotlight with amd_insn_patcher because privacy tab crashed my system, after that I excluded my boot volume, but there is still long disk activity after boot. I even think that sound is coming from my ntfs volumes (different disk and they sound different :D ). I can't exclude ntfs volumes from spotlight. if I add them after next reboot they are not excluded, only boot volume remain excluded. As i know, if it is not changed in 10.6.6, ntfs volumes are mounted ro and spotlight can't cache them, maybe nforceata problem?

Now it stopped, more then 10 minutes after boot :blush:

I also repaired permissions and I will reboot it again.....

Hello Guys, I have Dell Optiplex GX620 and I have successfully upgraded to 10.6.6 by reinstalling the 10.6.5 legacy kernel. No USB issues this time. Have been using 10.6.2 usb kexts and they seem to be intact as I read in a post here. Mac App Store is working flawlessly on my system and all my iLife 11 apps are recognized as installed. :wub:

Could you post how could I do that? Thanks in advance!

Hello Buddy, I have the same card on my optiplex gx620 and have successfully upgraded to 10.6.6. The card works like a charm with complete hardware acceleration enabled. Since there is no new upgrade for nvidia chips in 10.6.6 there is not going to be any issue at all.

removed SleepEnabler and installed through SoftwareUpdate.... no problems so far.

edit update: noticing slower boot time (although I also updated my boot loader same time I installed 10.6.6 updated). Another thing switching Spaces is choppy performance.

I too have lost my wifi under 10.6.6. I'm using a Broadcom 4320 chipset wifi card. It was working fine under 10.6.4 But even when I replace IO80211Family kext with the old working kext nothing happens. I've ran Kext utility and repaired permissions.

Confusing thing is that the wifi works fine when i boot into safe mode. Is there a mismatch somewhere?

When I boot into safe mode It shows up in System Profiler under Network/Airport as

Software Versions:

Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)

configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.2)

System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)

Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)

AirPort Utility: 5.5.2 (552.11)

IO80211 Family: 3.1.2 (312)

Interfaces:

en1:

Card Type: Third-Party Wireless Card

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Current Network Information:

PHY Mode: 802.11g

When I boot up normally it doesn't show anything. So can anyone help me to find why safe mode installs my wifi card and normal mode doesn't.

my broadcom wifi also stop working after 10.6.5 and 10.6.6 update at normal boot.

But working if boot on safe mode. I tried everything and driving me crazy! appreciate any help!

please!!!!

@zogu

Yeah,it seems it is a problem with NTFS volumes.For me too,it went on for about 10 minutes after boot and then chilled out.Don't know about the exclusions expiring away after reboot,but the root of the problem is in nforceata (got my IOATAFamily and AppleNForceATA patched so i guess that makes the difference) :)

@hausbox

Thanks for your help. At the end exclusions of ntfs volumes solved problem. First time I probably excluded only mac volume for test, but I was sure that I excluded ntfs volumes also. When you wrote that exclusions of ntfs volumes works i tried once more and now everything is OK, there is no more disk activity.

I ran cinebench, cpu is slightly better, opengl is same.

Regards, zogu.

Hi everybody, is there any way to get in Hackintosh the smooth mouse movement like in windows.

Thanks.

I depends on what mouse you have.

For Logitech mouse set the tracking speed almost all the way to the left and under LCC adjust it to the right side middle if that makes sense =)

I updated to 10.6.6 and everything went smoothly. But I notice that it eats up a lot of my rams when first boot up. In 10.6.5 memory usage was up to 400-500mb. But in 10.6.6 it shoots up from 500 - 900! Am I the only one experiencing this?

I updated from iATKOS s3 v2 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 using the combo update on my AMD Phenom II x4 940/Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P and everything seems to be alright except for this one problem I am having with Quicktime.

When trying to play any .mp4 video, Quicktime crashes instantly, it plays all other supported formats fine. VLCPlayer of course plays .mp4's fine...even iTunes plays the .mp4 videos fine.

Using legacy_kernel 10.6.0 if that makes any difference... booting with arch=i386 -force64 .

I repaired premissions, no go.

Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT - mp4's are playing fine in Quicktime 7 too

when i updated neither firefox or safari would be able to load pages, they would just hang about 3/4 of the way through and freeze up. also i wasnt able to open the app store or itunes, in fact the only app i could open was address book. so i downgraded to 10.6 and i dont think ill be updating again unless theres something worth updating for.