Getting closer - An ATI graphics guide

captainsquash

353 posts in this topic

Thanks very much for the good news Rammjet. The autodetect script doesn't support any dual configurations just yet - but I could add that later down the road if need be.

In a mini-beta released last night to a few willing testers who contacted me we found that the Xbench results for OpenGL were downright pathetic, usually around half the expected score (and its slow enough as it is :angel:), the culprit was found to be AGPGart 2.1w8, which was replaced with the builds of AGPGart in Katana 0.2c. (Thanks very much to the testers!) and speeds seem to be much better so far.

As BobOki said, I decided it would be best if I took my time and did it right, so I'm going to abuse this installer (and the kexts it installs) and see if I can find any faults in it. I'm also going to release at least a Terminal/shell version of KatanaDoctor in 0.3 too (which I'm working on now, its actually quite handy when I (occasionally) screw my system over).

hmm .. do you think there will be QE.. support with the 9000card ? .. ever ?

or is that a no go ?

i found that most of my required programs halt on the graphic-loading..

(parallels ... and so on.. )

hmm .. do you think there will be QE.. support with the 9000card ? .. ever ?

or is that a no go ?

I'm not sure, but I think prasys is working on that. At least it seems he probably knows how to reach that goal...have a look at this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=34409&hl=

I really hope he is successful with that. Come on 9000/9200 community - let us support him with appreciation and technical support whereever we can :(

Taking a look at prasys's work, I'm shifting my research from XRadeonFB to his package. I've been tinkering with it and hopefully I can get somewhere with it, if not, I'll resume my work on XRadeonFB et al.

Because the 9000 series cards are much more similar to the 8500 (heck, my 9000 device id is listed in the 8500 info.plist :)), I'm going to see if I can come up with some crazy hybrid - maybe it will work, but I'm going to put my money with prasys at this point as he apparently knows much more about this than I do. Oh well, you gotta start somewhere :P. I don't think QE on the 9xxx is impossible at all - its just that we've admittedly hit many snafus in the process - probably more than any other (popular) graphics card series, we'll get there, but its just a question of when.

As for 0.3 - I've completely finished the installer and I'm working on KatanaDoctor now. So far its been confirmed working right away with the four or so people who've tested it so far. The KatanDoctor GUI is presently being written with Java/Cocoa.

Props to the Captain for Katana.

As soon as I installed the difference was immediate. Much much crisper image. No other resolution but 1024x768 is viewable, but beggars can't be choosers. I did the install with 10.4.6 and am slowly upgrading to 10.4.7, then 10.4.8.

I did notice I had QE and CI support before the install and now its gone. This normal? Also, screen saver appears to be broken.

but I'm going to put my money with prasys at this point as he apparently knows much more about this than I do.

Great to hear that cpt! Would be totally weird if you two and all other skilled people probably working on that could not find a way to get this to work...good luck. And tell us when you two need some support (which lies within our skills; :)

Geez - Katana is getting huge.

The more features I add to 0.3, the more features I think of... Here's where I stand so far. (Last Updated: 12/8 1:38AM)

* Nearly finished with KatanaDoctor kext backup and recovery system (doubles as uninstaller too)

* Installer is finished

* Diagnostic tool is finished (attached below)

* Debugging is in underway

I'm going to hold off on the GUI version of KatanaDoctor, I really need to release something or else I might devlop a case of OCD or something. Sorry its taken as long as it has.

Anyways, I've only had it not work for one person so far and I'm working actively with them to see (perhaps) where I screwed up. Edit: I saw where I screwed up and its fixed now ;)

Attached below is the new and improved / shiny autodetect script. Its slightly faster than the old one, fixes the bug which made it not work for someone, and is all around a bit more bulletproof. If the autodetect script posted a bit ago already worked for you, this will work as well, but for those of you had trouble with it, I recommend you try this one.

"How do I use this script!?" some of you may ask, and I shall tell...

1) Download the zip file below, and double click it to extract it - A KatanaDiag icon will appear in that folder

2) Open Terminal (Applications--> Utilities--> Terminal)

3) Drag the KatanaDiag icon into the Terminal window, click on the Terminal window, press Enter

4) Tell me your results!

Note: If its been inactive for more than 30 seconds, you can abort the script by pressing Ctrl+C

It may very well be finished by tonight, but I'd suspect no later than Friday night at the rate I'm going.

Edit 2: As much as I'd like to finish it by tonight, I just have too much work to do. I'll shoot for tomorrow.

KatanaDiag.zip

"How do I use this script!?" some of you may ask, and I shall tell...

1) Download the zip file below, and double click it to extract it - A KatanaDiag icon will appear in that folder

2) Open Terminal (Applications--> Utilities--> Terminal)

3) Drag the KatanaDiag icon into the Terminal window, click on the Terminal window, press Enter

4) Tell me your results!

If you make the suffix of the script ".command", it becomes a double-clickable script and automatically launches Terminal.

Also, I am trying to compile as much good information on various aspects of getting a Hackintosh to work. You can see some of it in the links at the very bottom of my signature.

It would make life easier if there was only one posting that contained the releases of Katana with a description of how to use it. Just keep adding releases to the same posting and update instructions as necessary. Then announce the update in a regular posting so the thread gets updated to latest date. This makes it easy on newbies so they don't have to comb the thread for the latest release and updated instructions.

If you think Katana is reasonably solid, maybe its own thread is warranted with all releases/instructions at the top.

Just my suggestions.

Katana 0.3 Diagnostic starting...

Test 1: Card Autodetection

10.4.6 Goatsecx-like install detected, proceeding

Autodetection successful.

Retrieved DeviceID: 4152

Retrieved VendorID: 1002

All tests passed.

Thanks for the useful tip on .command Rammjet, thats a real plus! And yes, when I release 0.3 later tonight I'll throw it in a new thread - this one's getting a bit lengthy.

Also, thanks to all of you who posted the results of the autodetect script.

captainsquash, glad to see that you're making such good progress, I was thinking you might want to leave AGPGart out off your installer because its not fully supported by all chipsets as of now and it seems like a place for problems to occur, it can easily be added by the user.

It's your project so do what you think is best :D

Katana 0.3 works for me if I chane manually my device ID. Really slow performance though and no QE but I believe this is all we can get for now . Autdetect still doesn't work for JaS 10.4.7.

Any progress with rewriting the 8500 driver?Do you have CVS or SVN for hat?

Thanks for the tool, you did a really good job :D

For that,and sorry for "hat". By the way, struggling with a Radeon 9000 Mobility 32MB. Had just some experience in Linux driver development.

anibalin and zobertke - You might want to try 0.3a3, see if that clears up the issue.

No, I don't have a SVN or CVS sorry, I keep everything in my Xcode project :huh: - Once I get somewhere interesting I'll post one for you and people who are interested.

Joe75 - Thanks for the tip! But I think I might keep it for the time being, but if the users of Katana want it removed I will do so right away. As far as I know, I don't think its caused too many stability issues (briefly combing through this thread I haven't found any right away). But if it does end up causing more problems than it solves I'll certainly blitz it. I have run into some bad eggs of AGPGart and I've only been using the builds which I've had the most success with on various hardware configurations in Katana.

Well work for 0.4 is about to start, but this build is going to be even more different. A couple of reasons why...

* NeoPheus and I have teamed up and we've already come up with some pretty intriguing ideas and goals!

* We're ditching the package installer method and writing our own, independent installer. We both think that Katana has outgrown the functionality that the package installer can offer. With the new installer, we'll be able to provide you with a more seamless install with extra customization.

* Support for X1x00 series with other methods! If possible, we'd like Katana to be a panacea for all graphics woes. If successful, it will automatically execute methods such as the Borisbadenov method for applicable cards. It may even spread to all known methods for ATI cards... who knows?

* Although some of the algorithms from 0.3 will probably be used, we plan to have the release (both KatanaDoctor and the Installer) be controlled completely by a graphical user interface, which means no more ugly shell scripts for you guys!

This is going to be a pretty huge release, so it may take some time to get going.

As always, when something materializes, we'll let you know!

:robot:

Well I can't say for certain that it will, but if there's a method out there for it, I'll try my best to make it work.

In the meantime, try one of these below (quoted from Rammjet)

x1600/x1800/x1900/x1950 cards - see the Borisbadenov manual method or use the NeoPheus installer method. They use slightly different methods, so if one doesn't work, try the other. (does not work for x1600 mobility video or for x1650 video card). Also, check out the Titan and Natit projects for new breakthroughs. Beta Natit installer.

If those don't work for you, you might want to try Katana 0.3a3 or 0.2c, it should get OpenGL working for you, but not much at all besides that.