Getting closer - An ATI graphics guide

captainsquash

353 posts in this topic

I have a an ATI Radeon Sapphire 9700 (same as a BBA) working with full QE/CI and resolution and refresh rate change.

I've tried 10.4.4-10.4.6-10.4.7-10.4.8 (this last was unsuccesful) kernels/installations; Every Callisto driver from the All-In-One Package; koverg patch; manual edits etc...

I've also tried mighty mouse and others fixes, Q2E, disabling beamsync (although I have a CRT) and nothing could fix the annoying slow interface that works like a charm without QE/CI.

So I have what everyone wants with OS X, a fully working machine, but the whole interface is really slow (iTunes Viusalizer, resizing windows, everything that blinks like loading bars or buttons, the dock is awful, even the minimize or close is sluggish when it wasn't at all only with Callisto, but dragging windows or hitting F11 or F10 it's working like a charm. Also DVD stutter and isn't an audio issue.

Currently I'm running 10.4.7 with 10.4.8 kexts, Callisto b008, QE/Q2E/CI enabled.

Sempron 2500+ with SSE2/SSE3 @ 1900mhz

Asus K8N nForce3 250 with AC97 and on board Ethernet working (forcedeth)

512mb Kingston

Seagate 80gb S-ata (WinXP) + Maxtor 20gb P-ATA (MacOS X)

If anyone knows someone who happened to experience the same please tell me.

Thanks. (and sorry for my english)

I'm missing I tried AGPGart without success a couple of times with v2.0 and v2.2, do I need it for accelerate the interface?

Edited by Str4nger

Well nunex, I'm sorry but things have been beyond chaotic for me - so I really haven't had any time at all to experiment with solutions to your particular problem. Callisto's detection of a R350 in place of an R300 is no biggie - my card was always detected as a Radeon 9000 Lf, it worked fine. It's not the name that matters really, provided that it's compatible and works :2cents:

You my have tried these already, but see if these work for you

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry183479

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry184727

Edit: Str4nger - Well, it sucks to hear this I know, but OS X wasn't designed to run on these machines - we have to count our blessings :P. Looking back a year ago, being able to simply change the resolution and getting wireless to work was a seriously big deal. OSx86 still isn't ready for prime time, but we're getting closer. So, just wait, something will come sooner or later.

At this point in time, I don't know of any way to fix sluggish QE performance, but I recommend you download Xbench and tell me what the results are (prefferably by PM) - it may shed some light on a specific problem causing the 'QE lag'.

Edited by captainsquash

With the Radeon Saphire 9550 AGP 256MB, I managed to get QE and CI working perfectly, just by adding the device ID. I was so excited, so I made it permanent with some permission fixing.

Having gotten fed up with mouse tearing, I installed Callisto but, guess what, broke the QE in the meantime and now I can't get it back. If you just want QE/CI (on a good enough card) just insert the device ID and be happy!

Does anyone know how to fix my problem? I deleted callisto and agpgart with no success :unsure:

Coffee_Bean - Simply adding the device ID to a kext will (unfortunately) not work for many cards as many are incompatible with the kexts in OS X (also, were you using the 9600 kexts?). Callisto will 'break' QE as it's using a different set of kexts.

To get back where you were, use KatanaDoctor to restore your previous configuration (if thats how you installed Callisto/AGPGart), or remove Callisto.kext, CallistoHAL.kext and AGPGart.kext from your /System/Library/Extensions folder and remove Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache in the /System/Library folder, then reboot. That will remove all effects of Callisto and AGPGart on your system, if it still isn't back to normal something else is likely the culprit.

Thanks Captain! Got the display back again.

I was using the 9700 kexts with my 9550. It's all causing me a headache. I managed to get QE and CI working for a while, and occasionally they work without me doing anything (apparently). However, I don't seem to be able to get either of them back now!

Hi there,

i am quite new to the whole osx86 thig so please be forbear with me if my questions may sound stupid;)

I got a 10.4.8 system running on my mashine and would like to adjust the screen resolution to 1280x1024.

I own a ATI x1950. So is there a way to raise the screen resultion (set to 1024 currently)?

Cheers,

nik

im using mac os x x86 but the graphics card isnt working ,and your link to ovni isnt either working and I have other problem...I cant open programms corectly It says that the application exit unnespectly please help me :wallbash:

and my ATi card is 9200

-nico1892: I should have what I did up in my more recent posts, if not on this thread, then over on the Katana thread also by the Captain. I'm using a 9250, so our setups aren't that different (my card even registers as a 9200 on OS X). Just so you know though, QE and CI aren't completely turned on, I think it's pushing for it, but there are a few apps that if I run, they just quit because of QE

Alright, so everything working alright for OS X x86 and my setup, but I hit another bump in the road this morning. Decided I'd start playing WoW again, I go through all the installation, start it up and.... "3D Acceleration Unable to Start" or something to that effect. When I searched for it, I got a lot of Ubuntu help, but I just don't think it'll be the same. Even with the 9250 I can run WoW in Windows, maybe not all the settings, but I can put it up a few notches and not lag. I'm still using 10.4.3 so I haven't really been able to try Katana myself, so if anyone replies saying they are using a similar card and Katana helps a lot, then I guess I'll do the dreadful re-install (I just now finally got everything the way I wanted it!) or if you have any advice Captain, you've helped everytime before, so I'll have no doubting you!

dSlifer - Open up the WTF folder (in the World of Warcraft folder in Applications), and open Config.wtf in TextEdit

Add these lines:

SET gxApi "opengl"

SET ffxDeath "0"

This should make WoW playable on any system with OpenGL acceleration (athough it may not be too elegant). Good luck.

dSlifer - I've attached a series of finder screenshots which should lead you to the config.wtf file if followed, add the data from the previous post, save it, then (hopefully) you should be good to go.

Edit: If you still don't see it after following the steps above, something might be rotten with your World of Warcraft install.

s1.tiff

s2.tiff

s3.tiff

Edited by captainsquash

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a simple method for adding these 2 selectable resolutions:

1152 x 864 x 75HZ (for CRT monitor)

1280 x 1024 x 60 Hz (for LCD monitor)

to the System Preferences menu, for my Radeon X1600 AGP?

Thanks.

Edited by richtig

• 1 month later...

Hey captain, This may sound like a silly comment but...

What about the Radeon Display Utilities from apple? Would it not be possible to use there installer code and then modify some code to add in our device ids?

here is the link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/driv...utilities.html#

Would that not help in the progression of this project?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Radeon Mobility M300 (M22):

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility M300 (M22)

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5460

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

• 2 weeks later...

Hey captainsquash, I have installed 10.4.6 HOTiSO on a Dell Latitude D600 with a Radeon Mobility 9000...

The installation was successful, but it constantly reboots after the white screen with the gray apple; my suspicion is that's an issue with the video driver, but i couldn' find a solution yet...

I have deleted every ATI*.kext w/o luck.

Do you have any clue on what's happening?

Thanks!

Ch

• 4 weeks later...