Getting closer - An ATI graphics guide

captainsquash

353 posts in this topic

As for Katana - I'll probably be throwing it out here at around 8:00PM EST. I want to make sure I've gotten all the kinks out (and I'm working on an uninstall script, should Katana be a royal flop for you). I wanted to release it sooner buy my parents came and they want me to do thanksgiving-like prep things with them :D

Ladies and gentlemen of the OSx86 community, I give you Katana! :)

It's attached below, I hope it works for you. Please let me know your results!

Edit: I forgot to mention, after Katana is finished installing, please reboot your system. It doesn't reboot automatically in this version, however I will have it automatically reboot in 0.3.

Another Edit: Although the installer says that it is designed to work with ATI mobility cards, it will also work fine with other ATI cards, but you have to add your EDID string manually to Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If I can find some way to autodetect the EDID string, ill include it in later builds.

Katana.dmg

Ladies and gentlemen of the OSx86 community, I give you Katana! :)

It's attached below, I hope it works for you. Please let me know your results!

Edit: I forgot to mention, after Katana is finished installing, please reboot your system. It doesn't reboot automatically in this version, however I will have it automatically reboot in 0.3.

Another Edit: Although the installer says that it is designed to work with ATI mobility cards, it will also work fine with other ATI cards, but you have to add your EDID string manually to Callisto.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If I can find some way to autodetect the EDID string, ill include it in later builds.

can't unzip the file.

ok. changed extension from zip to dmg and it mounted katana. i started the installer which hangs about 80% finished and I will stop it now and reboot my system which is probbaly screwed. I will have to reboot -s to remove what it did. thanks anyway.

bgg71 -Can't unzip.. I don't quite follow... You download the DMG file, and it wont let you attach it? The shouldn't be any unzipping needed here. To install Katana, all you should need to do is download the dmg file, double click it, and double click the Install Katana icon. If that doesn't work, please let me know.

In response to edit: Ah okay... wait...

You downloaded it as a zip file? Geez, it should definitley be a dmg file. Wonder what happened there...

Anyways, your system is not screwed! Simply use the Katana Uninstaller (even though its not fully installed - it may give you some errors) and reinstall Katana.

The installer will hang a bit at around 80%, or the running installer script phase. The autodetection script is rummaging through iopci to automatically detect your card's device ID, it will take some time, but should finish. If it takes any longer than 2 minutes, thats not so good, but it takes about 20 seconds on my 2.8GHz P4 with 512mb ram.

What graphics card do you use bgg71?

Everyone else - Please post your experiences with Katana! The more I know about what works and what doesn't helps me make better builds for everyone.

In the unlikely event that Katana bricks your OSx86 install (hasn't happened to me yet... but it could happen), here's an emergency revival guide..

Grab a copy of Darwin (http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/release.html)

Burn it to a CD, boot from it, drop into the shell

Mount your hard drive by typing (minus quotes) "mount -w -t hfs /dev/disk0s1 /mnt"

You can now cd to your extensions directory (cd /mnt/S*/L*/E*), remove AGPGart.kext and Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext

Remove the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files in the /mnt/System/Library folder

Reboot, and your system will be cleansed of Katana.

can't unzip the file.

ok. changed extension from zip to dmg and it mounted katana. i started the installer which hangs about 80% finished and I will stop it now and reboot my system which is probbaly screwed. I will have to reboot -s to remove what it did. thanks anyway.

i tried a couple times. yor installer never finishes. The script hangs and i have to kill it. i clicked on the file and it cam edown as a zip file. nothing is changed in teh system. I see the callisto extensions in the extensions folder but they don't seem to be loaded since i can't change resolution. And again, what's teh benefit of changing resolution when my laptop screen can only work properly at 1400x1050. Anything else would look fuzzy. i've been waiting for more than 10min i ahve Pentium mobile 1.4 Ghz I think is just broken.

Hmm, well if thats the case then I apologize and I'm sorry it caused you any inconvenience. I'd be curious to see if everyone else has this problem. If they do, I'll remove Katana and deem it a failure.

If you try running this script, does it give the correct device ID and vendor ID?

#!/bin/sh
# detect Device ID and Vendor ID of graphics card

iodump=$(ioreg -l)

iodump=${iodump#*display@0}
iodump=${iodump#*compatible}

venID=${iodump:24:4}
devID=${iodump:29:4}

echo Graphics Card autodetected! Device ID:$devID Vendor ID:$venID

bgg71 and OriginalMACNUT - Can you tell me what graphics cards you have? And if you wouldn't mind telling me if that script correctly tells you the device ID of your graphics card?

Thanks OriginalMACNUT - I'll take a look into it.

Couple of questions if you wouldn't mind...

What version of OS X are you using?

Did the script above correctly identify your Device ID?

If you don't feel like running the script, could you try running just iopci -l, scrolling to display@0, and see if your deviceID is listed in the row which says "compatible"? The script above (most notably the iopci -l part) is the time consuming part and however long that takes should be roughly the time that the installer script 'should' take.

Thanks again

Edit: This just in: Safari downloads Katana as a .dmg.zip and Firefox downloads it as a .dmg, interesting. I've attached Katana in a zip file below for Safari users.

Katana.zip

Thanks OriginalMACNUT - I'll take a look into it.

Couple of questions if you wouldn't mind...

What version of OS X are you using?

Did the script above correctly identify your Device ID?

If you don't feel like running the script, could you try running just iopci -l, scrolling to display@0, and see if your deviceID is listed in the row which says "compatible"? The script above (most notably the iopci -l part) is the time consuming part and however long that takes should be roughly the time that the installer script 'should' take.

Thanks again

Edit: This just in: Safari downloads Katana as a .dmg.zip and Firefox downloads it as a .dmg, interesting.

I used opera and it downloaded it as katana.zip.

captainsquash,

I have the same problem, too.

I installed JaS 10.4.7, and I've got ati mobility radeon 9000.

Even after I uninstall Katana, I can't get back to the original high resolution I had, again...

Right now, I'm using a different computer, so I can't run the script now.

I used opera and it downloaded it as katana.zip.

i am running 10.4.7 have radeon mobility 9000 4c66.

i installed the callisto drivers manually and agpgart and fixed all ownerships and permissions. i can change resolutions (big deal!!) but still no acceleration and of course no turning off of backlight anymore.

Thats interesting, thanks for letting me know. This would make sense as I have yet to test it with JaS 10.4.7, might want to look into that. My policy is usually if it aint broke don't fix it so I have yet to make the leap from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7. :/

I'm a little shocked because one of the (supposedly) confirmed device IDs to work was 4c66 on 10.4.6, so hmmm... looks like I've got a little downloading to do :P I tested Katana with 10.4.6 and 10.4.3 and it seemed to work for me.

Geez, well I'll get on that then. If anyone running JaS 10.4.7 can run the above script and tell me the results, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for all of your input.

i am running 10.4.7 have radeon mobility 9000 4c66.

i installed the callisto drivers manually and agpgart and fixed all ownerships and permissions. i can change resolutions (big deal!!) but still no acceleration and of course no turning off of back light anymore.

I do see an improvement in the way the desktop looks. everything looks a lot sharper. I would still like some acceleration. I think all this is a monstrous waste of time and we will all end up getting a real mac eventually.

Sorry captainsquash! I do appreciate your efforts. I believe our hardware is too old unfortunately.

Well, bgg71 I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm trying to make my old fat pig sing, and I was trying to spread joy to other.... fat.. pigs.. Anyways.

One of my laptops has a Mobility Radeon 9000 (4c66) and it worked for me w/ OpenGL accel in 10.4.6 and 10.4.3, but that doesn't really matter as its not helping any of you guys.

I agree that this is a monstrous waste of time, but I'm trying to make this work until I get my Macbook Pro. I feel confident that about at least half of all the users on InsanelyMac are people who love macs, but just don't have enough to shell out for a mac right away and are using this in the interim.

I know I'm sounding like spambot, but if anyone running 10.4.7 JaS could run the script and tell me if it accurately identifies the Device ID, that would be really cool.

Edit: Also, if any poor soul wouldn't mind testing this still (especially 10.4.6 users) I'd be curious to hear the results.

watons - I don't know if I'm understanding you properly, but all you need to do to install Katana is to download the zip file which I mentioned before, and double click on Install Katana. It should do all the work for you.

But! Because Katana Installer isn't working for 10.4.8 too well, I'm going to do what I do best, write guides! This guide emulates (for the most part) what Katana would've done.

1. Download a copy of Callisto 003 and AGPGart 2.1t. You can get them from http://omni.starchaser.org/callisto/ and http://x86dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=23.0 respectively. AGPGart's website requires registration.

2. Open the Callisto_b003fixed.zip file, OS X or Stuffit Expander will unzip it and add a folder called Callisto003 on your OS X desktop.

3. Click the Apple logo in the top left of your screen and select About this Mac from the menu. When the About this Mac window opens, click the More Info button.

4. Click the Graphics/Display column in the left, after you click it, the right pane should have something that looks like this Device ID: 0x4c66. Grab a pen and paper (or remember it somehow) and write it down the last 4 letters (for example, you'd write down 4c66 from the example above)

5. Open the TextEdit application and minimize it / send it to the dock.

6. Open the Callisto_b003 folder on your desktop, right click CallistoHAL.kext and select Show package Contents. A new window should pop up with simply a Contents folder, open the Contents folder. In the Contents folder, there will be a file called Info.plist, drag the Info.plist file into the TextEdit icon in the dock.

7. TextEdit will open the Info.plist file, scroll down to where it says <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x41501002&0xffffffff</string>

And change the 4150 to whatever you wrote down for your Device ID above, for example mine would look like

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x4c661002&0xffffffff</string>

save the file and close it. (But don't leave TextEdit yet)

7. The following is an excerpt from Omni's guide on Callisto.kext configuration and is only required for non-mobility users...

If your DFP monitor is detected as CRT by the driver, you can try to hard-code the EDID string of your monitor. Use the Monitor Asset Manager (or any other way) to retrieve your 128 byte HEX value string. When using MAM, you only need the actual hex values do not include line numbers (00:, 10:, 20:, etc).

Next open the Callisto_latest folder on your desktop, then right mouse click on Callisto.kext and left click on Show Package Contents. Open the Contents folder and there you will see Info.plist.

Double click on Info.plist file and it *should* open in Property List Editor. Click on the arrow next to the Root, then arrow next to the IOKitPersonalities, then next to the CallistoMatch.

You will see a key called MONITOR_TYPE,EDID. Double click on it to edit it and replace the MONITOR_TYPE with DFP so it says DFP,EDID or with CRT,EDID for a CRT screen.

In the value field of the same key replace the hex values there with the ones from your EDID, making sure that the < and > remain on the ends. You will see my original value there, it's the EDID for Apple Cinema Display 20" :(. Once done, save the file with File/Save.

Here's an imaginary EDID string, just so you see how it looks like:

00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 10 AC 19 A0 4C 56 52 31 0D 10 01 03 80 2B 1B 78 EE EE 91 A3 54 4C 99 26 0F 50 54 A5 4B 00 81 80 71 4F 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 7C 2E 90 A0 60 1A 1E 40 30 20 36 00 B2 0E 11 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FF 00 48 46 37 33 30 36 33 52 31 52 56 4C 0A 00 00 00 FC 00 44 45 4C 4C 20 32 30 30 37 57 46 50 0A 00 00 00 FD 00 38 4C 1E 53 0E 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 33

It is absolutely important that you do not miss any characters in your EDID string, and that it is exactly 128 bytes long. Also have in mind that the above procedure is ONLY for non-Mobility owners, Mobility owners should not do this, your settings come from the BIOS.

---

In all honesty, I've never done this before, all my OSx86 installs have been on laptops, but I can't find any way to simplify that right now. Property List Editor does not come by default installed unless otherwise specified, you need to get Xcode in order for it to work. Xcode can be obtained via Apple's developer connection website or here if you don't feel like registering.

8. Go to the System --> Library --> Extensions folder and drag AGPGart.kext, CallistoHAL.kext and Callisto.kext into the Extensions folder. It will ask you to authenticate, click the authenticate button, enter your password and the files will copy to the Extensions folder.

9. Open the Terminal (Applications --> Utilities), copy and paste the following commands (line by line) into the Terminal.

(Note: after the first command it will ask you for your password, enter it)

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcahce

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGP*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGP*

10. Because many systems in 10.4.6 would crash and burn if 8500 kexts were left around, its a good precaution to back them up. Open the Extensions folder in /System/Library directory. Move all ATI kexts besides ATINDRV.kext into a backup folder of your choice or the Trash.

11. Reboot your system and hope for the best. Ideally, OpenGL, AGP and resolution switching should work after reboot.

I'm installing 10.4.7 JaS now, so we'll see how quickly my laptop goes down in flames after opening Katana 0.2. :(

Edit: Ouch. I didn't even need to install Katana for it to crash, it wont even boot :/. Oh well. I'll futz around and see what I can do.

Another edit: After a little bit of tweaking 10.4.7 works okay, Katana works great in 10.4.7 JaS for me, strange. Now I'm pretty confused.

heyel6.png

Yet Another Edit: Ugg, the postinstall script works fine for me in 10.4.7 JaS on multiple computers (X800 and 9000), I don't really know whats going on here and why its not working for you guys. Its late, I'm heading off for bed now, maybe tomorrow some ideas will work themselves into my head.

Ok ive just downloaded your program and will try it on my machine for testing purposes. :D

Specs:-

Asus p4p800e

p4 prescott 2.8

1gb dual chan mem

{censored} 10gb seagate ata drive

ati 9800pro

osx10.4.6 jas

ill report back tomorrow.

and to captainsquash dont give up your doing a fantastic job.

:angel:

Hi Captain,

since I have Callisto working on my laptop, also with CI and QE support (with the hint in callisto guide pt.11), is there any improvement I can expect by your tool? My only problem are mouse glitches (tearing?)... that sort of dirty pixels left by the mouse while dragging windows or similar.

Let me know

(10.4.7 JAS working on Asus W1N, Pentium M 1.6, Ati Mobility 9600 64MB)

aris - Thanks for letting me know about that - that's really important find. Apparently my ioreg output length is different than yours, so I'll devise an alternate method of scrounging them up. Thats why the installer kept dying at 80%. My method was a bit of a hack, but I'll see if I can get something a bit more rounded.

hugis - thanks for letting me know. Be curious to see how it works for you.

scoutme - I don't think this tool will help you. You've got QE/CI already so I don't think this will help you. In this tool there will be no mouse tearing but only opengl accel. Its up to you which you prefer, personally I'd stick with your current QE/CI setup.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Edit: I'm going to release an interim build of Katana soon which has you enter the device ID manually in a separate script. This way its still relatively easy and should work on all OS versions. I'm still going to work on autodetection though as that would be very swashbuckling feature.