Getting closer - An ATI graphics guide

captainsquash

353 posts in this topic

Scoutme - Hmm, I'm not sure of any quality testers out there for OS X, but I do know of a few performance testers. My favorite is Xbench (http://www.xbench.com/), you might want to give it a whirl.

Everyone else - Attached below is a zip of Katana .2c, autodetection has been removed from the installer script (only for now, I really want autodetection to work eventually) and there is a completely seperate post install script. Everything to get you going (should you want to install it :)) on the right track is in the readme in the Katana installer.

Edit: Also, becuase the postinstall script does not require autodetection, this build should not hang your system.

Thanks to everyone who is testing Katana, without your help projects like these are impossible!

Katana2c.zip

So where is that opengl accelerationthat you guys keep talking about? i have everything installed and chess doesn't work, screensavers don't work. I see no acceleration whatsoever. 4c66 is recognized as AGP now with no QE/Ci and the only difference is changing resolutions, an absolutely useless feature.

Looking in system profiles at loaded extensions it shows an error at AGPGART which might explain teh problem.

------

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Unknown

---------

And btw it says similar things about callistoes.

bgg71 - If your card is listed as AGP, and you can switch resolutions (big deal, I know :sorcerer:), some parts of Callisto and AGPGart are doing their job.

So where is that opengl accelerationthat you guys keep talking about?

OpenGL is (in a sense) like Microsoft's Direct X. It is a graphics library which works on many platforms (including Windows, Linux and OS X). OpenGL is what powers many of the applications in OS X like chess, screensavers, iTunes visualizations, etc. Quartz Extreme and Core Image both use OpenGL to produce even higher end graphics. If you're interested, you can read more about OpenGL here.

How do we get OpenGL working? Well I used to have it work wayyy long ago with JaS ATI kext (you may want to give my first guide a spin and see if that gets you anywhere). With the release of AGPGart, I figured I'd make a new guide to get OpenGL working but it turned out to be somewhat complex, so I figured an installer (Katana) would make life easier for everyone.

Provided a Katana install works, OpenGL acceleration is enabled (in brief) by the combination of Callisto and AGPGart. OS X realizes that AGP accel. is present and uses CallistoHAL and framebuffer to do the dirty work.

--

I'm not liking those errors you showed me, doesn't sound very healthy. Did you get those error messages when you installed Callisto (003) and AGPGart manually? Do you still get this error after using Katana .2c? Also, when OS X is booting verbosely, do you see any messages with "Callisto: ..." in them?

cpt.squash, thx for your effort...unfortunately it did not work for me. First I have tried everything on my own (I'm following this thread since the beginning), but I got no OpenGL...

So I've used your second Katana-Package...and the system stopped to boot at starting the login manager (I have got a mouse arrow, could move it but nothing more happened).

So I've booted to safe mode and uninstalled Katana...and now nothing works anymore. When booting the screen just gets blank black...no matter which mode..

time for a fresh 10.4.7 install I think :D

My specs:

Thinkpad R50 (Banias 1,5, i855PM chipset)

Ati Mobility 9000 32MB (4c66)

JaS 10.4.7

This version of katana worked for me.

When installiing it, I was wondering whether I had to put in 0x4c66 or just the last four digits 4c66, but I chose the latter. And I let the autodetector work, but then the system freezed. So I had to kill it.

And then I tried again, put in 4c66, but this time, I skipped the autodetection part, and voila, it worked. Now I'm back to the original high resolution. But what exactly do I have to do to test it? iTune visualization works, but chess doesn't. Screensaver, well, works, but extremely sluggish...

Jodo - Interesting. I had that problem before but removing conflicting ATI kexts seemed to fix that issue it for me. You might want to remove ATINDRV.kext by booting into darwin and mounting your hard drive. I'd be happy to walk you through that if you're interested.

Aris - Good to hear. Yes, things are sluggish because we only have OpenGL working :/. In order for things to really scream we need Quartz Extreme working. Sceensavers and chess work for me, but still no go with the DVD player. I have seen a modified version of the DVD player floating around which works regardless of QE status though.

again2eo8.png

We'll thats where I stand now (screenshot above), and hopefully I'll be able to get everyone to at least that stage.

i removed callisto and agpgart since they do nothing for me other than the useless resolution change. I'd rather have the backlight turn off than nothing.

I could never install the ati driver it gives me an error about 14class ipci device superclass.

i removed callisto and agpgart since they do nothing for me other than the useless resolution change. I'd rather have the backlight turn off than nothing.

I could never install the ati driver it gives me an error about 14class ipci device superclass.

Update. tried one more time. used your last katana install and then the post intall script. I input my device id 4c66 and skipped teh autodetection. everything was installed and loaded. But the same errors in system profiles/extensions. I believe everyone who installs these drives has same error. For curiosity can you post your readings from system profiler/extensions?

Thanx

here it is again:

AGPGart:

Version: 2.1

Last Modified: 11/18/06 9:04 AM

Get Info String: 2.1, Copyright joblo10, 2006

kext Version: 2.1

Load Address: 0x2a26d000

Valid: Yes

Dependency Errors:

Callisto:

Version: 1.0.0d1

Last Modified: 5/27/06 12:46 PM

kext Version: 1.0.0d1

Load Address: 0x3054f000

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

CallistoHAL:

Last Modified: 5/27/06 12:46 PM

Load Address: 0x303d9000

Dependency Errors:

Radeon Mobility 9000 Lf:

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility 9000 Lf

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4c66

Revision ID: 0x0001

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Card is detected as AGP with highest res supported. No opengl. Can't play chess. No screen saver working.

I will go back to vesa mode since backlight is more useful than nothing as i mentioned.

bgg71 - Sorry for the delay, I was having thanksgiving dinner with my parents.

I'm presently running 8.4.1 as my kernel. Although I plan to try Katana with Semthex / 10.4.8 tonight.

Below is what I get for AGPGart et al on 8.4.1 w/ OS X 10.4.7 JaS

AGPGart:

Version: 2.1

Last Modified: 11/18/06 12:04 PM

Get Info String: 2.1, Copyright joblo10, 2006

kext Version: 2.1

Load Address: 0x1f8f7000

Dependencies: Satisfied

Callisto:

Last Modified: 5/27/06 3:46 PM

Load Address: 0x24c17000

CallistoHAL:

Last Modified: 5/27/06 3:46 PM

Load Address: 0x24cae000

------

Radeon Mobility 9000 Lf:

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility 9000 Lf

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4c66

Revision ID: 0x0001

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

----

Interesting. What kernel version do you have bgg71?

[then somethin's wrong with my install. i just reinstalled a couple days ago but transferred settings and aps from an old install right when it first started. Anyway, thanks for help. Semthex is not for SSE2 yet. is it? oh, btw, are you having SSE2 or SSE3?

I have an SSE3 laptop which I plan to try Semthex on, I wouldn't be testing it on my usual guinea pig / the one you see all the screenshots from :P (2.8P4 512mb ram 128mb radeon 9000 / 10.4.7 8.4.1).

But just curious bgg71 - what kernel version are you using? It seems a few people are having this problem and I'd like to fix it.

Although there are many more downloaders than there are posters in this thread, I guess its safe to say that no news is good news at this point in time (hopefully). Again, anyone who is having difficulty getting 3D acceleration to work should definitely try the latest build of Katana and tell me about your results!

I have an SSE3 laptop which I plan to try Semthex on, I wouldn't be testing it on my usual guinea pig / the one you see all the screenshots from :P (2.8P4 512mb ram 128mb radeon 9000 / 10.4.7 8.4.1).

But just curious bgg71 - what kernel version are you using? It seems a few people are having this problem and I'd like to fix it.

Although there are many more downloaders than there are posters in this thread, I guess its safe to say that no news is good news at this point in time (hopefully). Again, anyone who is having difficulty getting 3D acceleration to work should definitely try the latest build of Katana and tell me about your results!

kernel is 8.4.1 installed with jas 10.4.7 dvd on dell latitude d600 1.4 Pentium M/1Gb RAM

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Although we're both using the same kernel, I am however not using a full 10.4.7 JaS install on the guinea pig, I used the JaS upgrade (I upgraded from 10.4.6 Goatsecx, I've had the best luck with that build). Might be something to consider.

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Although we're both using the same kernel, I am however not using a full 10.4.7 JaS install on the guinea pig, I used the JaS upgrade (I upgraded from 10.4.6 Goatsecx, I've had the best luck with that build). Might be something to consider.

cool thanks. I don't have that dvd. i am downloading opensuse rc1 now.

bgg71 - Cool, suse has always been one of my favorite distros. Sorry to hear your OSx86 install didn't work too well :/

anitanium - Katana will not enable QE or CI unless you get extremely lucky. Depending on your configuration, the Callisto + AGPGart setup might enable it, but it isn't too probable. I don't know much of it besides the fact that the creator of AGPGart seems to show us that his X850 Pro works well with AGPGart. Katana was made mainly to get OpenGL accel going, AGP bus, and resolution changing to work.

If you're really keen on getting QE working, it might be worth your while to check out XRadeonFB . It destroyed my system, and I had to reload completely, but if you're curious it may be worth your while.

---

If anyone running JaS 10.4.7 wouldn't mind posting their output of the ioreg -l command in Terminal (or PMing it to me to spare other members) I'd greatly appreciate it. That way I can see whats going wrong with the autodetection and perhaps someday release a final, working build of an autodetecting installer.

I don't think Katana or any other package will ever enable QE or CI on our relics yet, I'm still trying to modify parts of the 8500 kext, the radeon 7000 method and 9700 kext to make it work, but we're caught in a horrid gap. Too high for a 7000 and too low for a 9700... sucks to be in the middle. So I want to get Katana working well so all of us middle users have at least full OpenGL and resolution changing to work with :P

bgg71, I've caught up and read your posts -- just get a Mac. Stop complaining that it's a complete waste of time. Like "captainsquash" said, many people don't have the need or money to fork out for a MacBook or something similar.

My hats off to captainsquash as he tries his best to get advancement with our video cards.

By the way, our hardware isn't "too" old (although it is pretty old ... especially in computer terms) technically, it should be able to support Quartz Extreme and Core Image ... unfortunately - THERE ARE NO DRIVERS. There might be a fix ... but I doubt it unless someone stumbles upon it.

Just stop complaining, OSX isn't meant to run on our hardware -- don't expect things to be perfect.

I, personally, just gave up ... but I understand why people want to try to get OSX to work on their laptop.

Why won't I get a MacBook? ... (I probably will next laptop purchase I buy..... but that's beside the point.) easy -- my laptop is only a year and a half old keeps a good battery life, and works just fine for the most part. Why waste the money? I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat.

Thanks JustBrowsing, it's always nice knowing your work is appreciated :P

Yes, I agree that QE (maybe even CI) is definitely possible. There are even ATI Radeon 9000 cards and drivers out there that support QE (which is really frustrating, but they don't work too well in my experiments). Its almost under our nose

Anyways, I don't want Katana to end here, and hopefully it wont. I'm playing around with XRadeonFB, AGPGart, Callisto, ATI Radeon Drivers and other guides (such as the 7500 QE guide) to form some kind of hybrid. I'm teaching myself a little of IOKit here and there too, and hopefully from all this I can produce something worthwhile.

A colossal waste of time? Perhaps. It certainly does take a lot of time, but it may pay off in the end. I figure by the time I get this working I'll either have my Macbook Pro or my hardware will be so outdated it won't matter anymore :P but I shouldn't be too pessimistic, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, lets just hope it's not an oncoming train.

I've been talking with aris, and aris's ioreg -l output does not contain the necessary information needed for a successful autodetect, so users of 10.4.7 JaS will want to stick with .2c for now. I'll try and devise another interesting way to grab the Device ID.

Anyways, should any of my mad experiments work, readers of this thread will be the first to know!

bgg71, I've caught up and read your posts -- just get a Mac. Stop complaining that it's a complete waste of time. Like "captainsquash" said, many people don't have the need or money to fork out for a MacBook or something similar.

My hats off to captainsquash as he tries his best to get advancement with our video cards.

By the way, our hardware isn't "too" old (although it is pretty old ... especially in computer terms) technically, it should be able to support Quartz Extreme and Core Image ... unfortunately - THERE ARE NO DRIVERS. There might be a fix ... but I doubt it unless someone stumbles upon it.

Just stop complaining, OSX isn't meant to run on our hardware -- don't expect things to be perfect.

I, personally, just gave up ... but I understand why people want to try to get OSX to work on their laptop.

Why won't I get a MacBook? ... (I probably will next laptop purchase I buy..... but that's beside the point.) easy -- my laptop is only a year and a half old keeps a good battery life, and works just fine for the most part. Why waste the money? I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat.

Last time I checked I didn't need an approval from you to post here. I thanked captainsquash for trying to help. Unfortunately his installer gave same results for me as the manual method.

As for the macbook I will get one as soon as I can afford one. My laptop is three years old and that means ancient in computer world.

And why do you think i don't know what kind of hardware I have and what's mac os x supposed to work on?

Even broken as it is now, with no adequate drivers is still better than windows. And for the record I won't give up unless I get a real mac of course. Thanks again captainsquash and keep up the good work!

Hi,

my first post here, I left Windows years ago, actually I do have some real macs which I used to work on but still it is funny to tweak my old Wintel Notebook in order to let OSX86 run on it. Maybe it's even because with real Macs there's usually no need for tweaking. However, the point is, many people doesn't waste their time hacking OSX86 since they can't afford real Macs, but for the fun of it, moreover it's not a good advice to use a hacked/stolen OS as your main system anyway, since you always leave your marks in the world wide web.

To the facts:

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, Radeon 9000/64MB, P4M-2GHz, 1600x1200, I'm running 10.4.6-Myz-ISO with Jas Updates to 10.4.7 to 10.4.8. I can reproduce most of the hints here, but I can't get 2D Acceleration to work, maybe due to the fact, that I updated to 10.4.8. Actually I'm running Callisto 003b (also the only one not crashing for me) + AGPGart2.1. My card ist detected, I can switch resolutions, allthough I don't see any advantage over preselecting it in boot.plist. Only in this setup I can run screensavers at least, very stuttering though. Itunes FX are also stuttering, less stuttering in fullscreen. What makes me wonder, VLC (Intel) does crash whenever I try to run avis. I've also tried a hacked Radeon8500GA.kext, which boots fine but will crash on Screensavers etc.. QE&CI isn't supported of course, btw. CI isn't supported by ATI9200 cards on real macs as well. So what we can do next...?

Greets and kudos to you,

Sack

Last time I checked I didn't need an approval from you to post here. I thanked captainsquash for trying to help. Unfortunately his installer gave same results for me as the manual method.

As for the macbook I will get one as soon as I can afford one. My laptop is three years old and that means ancient in computer world.

And why do you think i don't know what kind of hardware I have and what's mac os x supposed to work on?

Even broken as it is now, with no adequate drivers is still better than windows. And for the record I won't give up unless I get a real mac of course. Thanks again captainsquash and keep up the good work!

good 180.... :2cents: